food for daycare

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

food for daycare

Parents of toddlers and CT -- what do people send over to daycare? I've gotten into a real rut. I also think I'm sending way too much food. It's not so much that I think my daughter will eat all this stuff -- she's not a big eater -- it's that I'm afraid she'll want something that isn't on the menu. I've been sending:

1 blueberry waffle
    1 yo baby yogurt
    1 small mac'n'cheese with vegs (in these things: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-7J55-Square-Storage-Container/dp/B0012DMSTK/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1303908446&sr=1-6)
    1 apple/pear or a bunch of grapes
    1 banana
    2 cheese snacks
    1 takealong of crackers
    1 takealong of treats (fig newtons, animal crackers)

There's some variety in the treats, but for the most part I send the same thing every day. I don't want to send anything too messy over. Any suggestions you have will be most welcome!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: food for daycare

Here are some things I also Pack.  DD is the worst eater to but I think she eats better for the babysitter than me.  Some times stuff does come home but I always pack more than needed just in case.

• Raisins or crasins
    • Peanut Butter Crackers (not sure if this is ok where you go)
    • Applesauce
    • Cereal Bar
    • Granola bar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

That's right -- I also sent over a box of raisins, a bag of craisins, and a packet of oatmeal. If she actually ate all that she'd explode.

ETA: I also sent a packet of peanut butter crackers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I think a lot of sharing goes on at DD Babysitter.  There are only a few kids and it is pretty laid back there.  If the other little girl there brings something DD does not have of course DD wants it and vice versa.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

That's what I was thinking too. Our babysitter has a little boy around my daughter's age, and I want my daughter to share with him. And I know she eats their food because she tells me so. They're Guatemalan so their food is more exciting than ours.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

lemon, your list sounds similar to ours.  For DS' lunch we usually send whatever our leftovers are from the day before.  Sometimes we will cook chicken tenders in the morning or make pierogies in the morning with some steamed vegetables if we don't have any leftovers to give him.

We sometimes send waffles for breakfast but usually its cherrios or some other cereal.  Seems like a lot of the kids at this daycare ask for cherrios.

We also buy those single serve fruit cups.  I think Del monte makes them and they have ones that are in 100% juice with no added sugars.  We usually get pears, peaches or mandarin oranges.

I also don't think your list is over doing it.  It's nice to give options in case you hit a picky day and some of that stuff you can always use the next day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks for all the tips, ladies! And I didn't mean to exclude anyone from my question either -- if you can think of any lunch foods that are easy and not messy, I'm happy to hear it. Sandwiches haven't worked for us, FYI -- she doesn't understand the concept and will just open it up and just gnaw on the underside of the bread and throw everything else on the floor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Lemon, your list sounds like ours in terms of quantity.  Our daycare marvels at how much food everyone sends for their LOs, but then, they do seem to eat a lot of it!  Today DS had packed:
    a waffle
    strawberries
    apple
    banana
    yobaby
    cheese stick
    small baggie of goldfish
    small baggie of Cracklin Oat Bran
    diced chicken
    steamed peas and carrots
    slice of wheat bread
    cereal bar
    raisins
    When I pick him up, at least 2-3 things will have remained uneaten and he will proceed to eat one on the way home.  I pack this much b/c he likes variety, sometimes they share, and he almost always needs a snack on the way home (30 min drive, plus then he needs to wait for me to prep dinner).