(formula) feeding - how often?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

(formula) feeding - how often?

hi ladies - not sure how many of you can relate to 100% formula feeding, but i wondered how often i should be feeding our 8-week-old twins.  we've been feeding them every 3 hours during the day and "letting them go" at night.  the bigger baby ends up lasting overnight with just one feeding around 2am, but the smaller baby needs two feedings overnight still.  i've heard we should feed them lots during the day to keep them full overnight, but i just wonder for how much longer do we do the every 3 hour thing?  tia for any thoughts.  i'll ask our pedi, he's just sooo laid back i bet i won't get a concrete answer!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: (formula) feeding - how often?

I think we fed DD every 4 hours.  Sometimes she would get hungry at 3 hours but for the most part it was every 4.  She was a peanut and still is.  That is what worked for her.   I cant remember doing anything much different than that schedule so we must have started that pretty early.  I bet before she was 8 weeks old.  By 8 weeks she was going to bed about 9 and eating once in the middle of the night.  By 12 weeks she did not need anymore feedings during the nighttime hours. 

Good Luck

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe he's laid back and not giving a concrete answer because there is no concrete answer.  You have to play it by ear, and each baby is different.  I'm betting you'll know if you're baby is gaining too much weight or too hungry and adjust accordingly. 

I guess my point is that if the doc is laid back about it, take peace and comfort from that, not frustration.  You can't do it wrong, apparently, without knowing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Stefani,
    I needed a plan and I needed to know (I know, so opposite of what we are often advised to do in terms of following cues, but that was what worked for us).  Luckily, my pedi was good about giving us ounce estimates per day - I just can't remember what she advised at that age.  I honestly don't remember what DS did at 8 weeks in terms of ounces per day and I don't think we had switched 100% to all formula yet but were on our way there.  However, somewhere between 8-12 weeks, this is where we ended up, with him sleeping through the night at 8 weeks: 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 5:30pm, 8pm, sleep around 8:30 or 9.  He also had an am nap and an afternoon nap, but they were never at a consistent time.  For ounces, I want to say we were doing 3oz-4oz during the day (Maybe 3 at 8 weeks and then 4 by 12 weeks) and then he did 5 oz at that night feeding before bed and it seemed to work.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

At this age, you should still be feeding on demand, so although it's exhausting, unfortunately if the smaller one is still waking up twice, you'll need to feed her twice.  Babies eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full--they don't have all kinds of social baggage about eating.  Talk to your pedi about minimum ounces they should be getting, but 8 weeks is still young to expect them not to need to eat during the night.  I can't remember now when growth spurts happen, but they'll eat more and more often when they're going through one (so if your pedi says they need X ounces minimum, expect that there may be days here and there when they need a lot more than that--they'll let you know!).  The reason  you may not be able to get a concrete answer from your pedi is b/c it depends more on the size of their stomach at this point.  Smaller babies have smaller stomachs and therefore, need to eat more often.  So, it's more about the baby's overall size/weight than anything else at this stage.

My two slept through the night for the first time around 15 weeks (the week before I went back to work) and it was wonderful.  Then, at 16 weeks, the night of the first day I went back to work, it all fell apart again and we didn't stop doing at least one night feeding until around 7 or 8 months--after the pedi assured us that they were getting enough during the day AND should have (long-ago) crossed the physiological milestones to sleep more than 5 hours at a time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We did every 4 hours with formula, more if he seemed to want more food. when he wanted it more frequently I upped the ounces. Similac gave a great table of how many ounces and how many feeds were "typical" for babies at different ages. You might be able to find that on line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

thanks all.  daisy, i was referring to waking the babies for feedings during the day...  we feed on demand overnight, but we feed on a schedule during the day - every 3 hours, with the hope that filling them up during the day will keep them more full overnight.  just wondering when that could stretch to 4!  did you feed your twins separately on demand?  i can't imagine not having the two on the same schedule (during the day at least) - yowzer!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

At 8 weeks, we had them on the same schedule but we stopped waking them during the day (and night) at 4 weeks per the pediatrician.  Our pedi also has twins, so he was all about having them on the same schedule and completely understood all of those issues.  He was actually surprised at our one month appt. that we were still waking them at night.  When I asked when we could stop doing that, he just started shaking his head vigorously and said "stop."  (He was very nice about it, but he felt bad that we were still doing it b/c we didn't need to be.)  I know you're talking about day time, but I would think that the same would apply.  I don't remember how long they would go w/o eating at that point, but they were pretty much on the same schedule anyway.  What you could do is give them each a bottle and then wait to see how long before they wake up/want to eat again.  If one wakes before the other, feed that one, do whatever else you need to do with that one, and THEN wake the other one and feed that one.  This will keep them on a similar schedule but allow the one who wants/needs to eat to eat and the one who wants/needs to sleep to sleep.  (It's also nice to have a little one-on-one time sometimes.)  My kids never varied too much from one another even though DS was about a pound heavier than DD from birth.  Usually if one woke up before the other, the other would wake up while the first one was still taking the bottle.  At any rate, if you do that, and if they're sleeping longer than 3 hours, they'll probably just eat more at each feeding...and then take longer to be hungry for the next one.  I vaguely remember being relieved to drop a feeding around 6 weeks and then again around 3 months. 

So, in summary, give them a couple of days to just wing it and be off schedule from each other a little bit b/c that will give you a better feel for when/how often they need to eat and how much they need at each sitting.  And then you can adjust and shift back into a more-scheduled approach from there.  As time goes on, it's worth doing this every 4 - 6 weeks so you can see where they're at.  They won't be too far off from each other b/c you'll wake the still-sleeping one once the other one has been fed and diapered, etc. so it won't be too hard to get them back on the same schedule afterwards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

thanks daisy - that sounds like a good approach!  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have twins too and at 8 weeks we were definitely feeding every three hours during the day and every 4 at night.  Our schedule went like this:
    7:00am
    10:00
    1:00pm
    4:00
    7:00
    10:00
    2:00am

It wasn't always this "clean" but that's basically what we did until about 4 1/2 months when we started trying to get them to sleep 10:00pm to 6:00am without taking the 2:00am bottle.
    Sometimes there was a growth spurt and they ate more often - and whenever the first one woke during the night, I fed the other one too and went back to sleep - otherwise you could be up for hours.
    Do what works for you - watch for hunger cues - they'll let you know when they need to eat!
    Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from neda88. Show neda88's posts

Our pedi told us that babies generally need about 2 - 2.5 oz of formula per pound per day.  Nothing is set in stone, obviously, but it's been a good guidline and pretty much approximates how much DS has been increasing his demand as he has grown.  He was 4 months yesterday and he eats approximately five 6 oz bottles a day (he's about 13 lbs)and sleeps through the night.  He's been on that schedule for some time and I'm pretty sure that when he was 8 weeks he was eating five 4 oz bottles during the day (and he was around 9.5 lbs)