Fruits & Veggies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Fruits & Veggies

My three year old refuses to eat fruits and vegetables.  Luckily, I can get those foods into him via "pouches" (pureed fruits & veggies in a handy squeeze pouch), so he's getting the nutrients.  My pedi says that'll do for now.

Still, I think it's important that he starts to eat these foods in their natural state.  I've tried multiple introductions, different forms, sneaky hiding, even bribery.  He is STUBBORN.  When he won't eat it, nothing can change his mind, even ice cream (his favorite treat).

I don't want to turn this into a daily battle, though I would temporarily if it was even remotely productive.  Right now, we're stuck at just bananas and raisins.  He'll eat very exotic ingredients in pouches though.  

I think it's more a texture/new thing issue than taste.  I'd think he'd like sweet summer fruits, but no go.  Anyone have suggestions or tips?  It's driving me bonkers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Fruits & Veggies

What happens if you give him the pouch contents in a bowl? does he eat it? Is it a texture thing or a power trip?
    My DD ate almost everything at daycare, and would tell me flat out that she likes it there, but not at home. She was about your son's age when she started that line of behavior. She will eat some fruits/veggies at home now, so I keep offering things. It was hard for a long time though, so the only consolation I have is that if it is a power thing, keep at it, because it will get better, and maybe offer the pouches one meal, but whole veggies/fruit at the others, so that he gets the nutrients, but you can stand strong about "pouches are only for lunch" (or whenever you decide to be pouch time)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

My 18m old is the same way with veggies, although I am fortunate to get fruit into her.  Things that work besides the pouches have included freeze-dried veggies (not dehydrated but freeze-dried).... very crunchy but easily chewed and digested.  Target has a bunch now including freeze-dried peas, green beans, edamame, corn, and maybe a few others.  They also sell freeze-dried fruit - again, crunchy and my kids like it.  A lot of stores have freeze-dried fruit in a Disney package which my kids will go for b/c they love disney.  I know these aren't in their "natural" form, but they look like their natural form and I was able to transition DD onto a few regular ones after she liked the freeze-dried version.  Other ideas, fruits or veggies with dip, yogurt, hummus, PB?  My friend swears by coating her her veggies in butter and salt (I know, bad) ala when we were growing up, and then when her kids got used to that particular veggie, she'd wean them off the butter and salt.   Again, not the most natural approach but her kids do pound the veggies down!  What about trying to make your own purees or smoothies in front of him with the same ingredients, letting him drink them with a straw or eat with a spoon and get him to transition that way... maybe let him sample some bites before they are pureed?  Also, there is something to be said for kids eating stuff out of little pouches, bags, or packages they can open.  I know these are like such unnecessary and foolish expenses, but my son would LOVE those little pre-made packages of apples and oranges etc. that you can buy at the store.  Is it way cheaper to slice my own apples.... of course and I do.  But there was a time when my older one, DS, wouldn't eat fruit and having them come in all sorts of little packaging made him think it was an awesome "snack."  They sell them with the fruit salads and platters at the market - little pre-packaged bags of fresh fruit, carrots, etc.  Maybe that could be worth a try?  Sorry for all the random ideas - maybe one will help!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IF it's a power struggle, consider that it's possible that it won't necessarily just stop someday relatively soon without your putting your foot down...  I, first hand, knew a teen who had NEVER eaten ANYTHING but hotdogs and buns since eating his first one as a toddler.  I was talking with his dad about it, and he said they had "tried everything" to get him to eat other things to no avail.  It came up because his mom had to bring hotdogs to the church dinner (his dad was the pastor) so her 17 year old would have something to eat.  I kept my opinion to myself, of course, but you can guess what it was, part of which was more of a question as to how he functioned on an all hotdog diet...?

All that to say that if you know for sure it's a power struggle, do whatever you have to do, pleasant or unpleasant, to  maintain the order of things, your being in charge.  (Being in charge gives younger kids an overall sense of security even if they rail against it until they figure out they're going to lose that game.)  If he just eats the meat and bread or potato he's given and refuses to eat the healthy portion of veggies on his plate, and he's still hungry, he can either eat the veggies or leave the table hungry.  He won't starve, and the next day those veggies might look a lot tastier.  I don't have kids an realize this is easier said than done, but it was my mom's approach and I turned out reasonably sane. ;)

If its a texture or gag reflex problem, obviously that isn't the approach I'd recommend.  I'd talk to your pedi; it's a common issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

I never had this problem with my daughter but a very good friend struggled with the same issue.  She resolved it by serving the vegetables first.  Everyone would sit down to eat and the only thing on the plate would be vegetables.  Since the kids were hungry, they would usually eat them.  If they did, they got the rest of their dinner.  If not, they got nothing else until the next meal.  I know this sounds harsh but if they were really hungry they would eat the vegetables.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

DD has been a good eater but over the past few months started to refuse vegetables.  So I started to give them to her first without any other food while I am "preparing" the rest.  That way, if she is hungry she has it in front of her.  Sometimes just giving her, her space with the veggies helps.  Also she is 22 months and was completely refusing carrots (which she used to love).  I told her she just needed to try one and if she didn't like it I would not make her eat it (I do this with any food she doesn't want).  Lo and behold I turned around and she gobbled them all up. 

Giving her the vegetables first was key for us. She also loves the pouches so I use them if she tries something and doesn't like it.  Or if she doesn't like what I made her for dinner and refuses, I will allow her to have a vegetable pouch but will  not cook anything else .

If he goes to daycare I definitely would pack the fruits.  DD has always loved fruits but sometimes she eats certain sandwiches at daycare that she won't be very happy to eat at home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I would offer the veggies first, after a few bites then the rest of the meal comes out. Could you have your son help you cook? DS (3.5) helps me cook and ends up eating lots of fresh veggies as I cook. He even likes to eat raw frozen veggies. But if they are cooked he wont touch them, some of them make him gag. I can try and sneak in a tiny piece of cooked onion and he'll spit it out-only that one little piece of onion.

As for fruit, have it available. That's the only snack my kids have access too. The fruit bowl is always filled with something and DS goes in there when ever he wants and grabs what he wants. I just found him walking around with a bag of baby carrots snacking away. I actually had to take it away from him so he'd eat dinner. Another day I found DS with the bag again tryign to give a raw carrot to the baby.

It's tough to do a power struggle with a 3 year old, they are persistent b.uggers!(seriously BDC b.uggers is banned??) Remove the struggle and only have the options you want available. If you are okay with the fruit/veggie pouches then fine, that's a legitimate option. If not, don't offer them and with time and no other choices he will start to eat the veggies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My twins prefer fruit to veggies so I don't push it right now. If they'd rather have strawberries than green beans then so be it.
    Sometimes they seem to prefer eating the veggies on my plate. Not a habit I want them to get into, but if it gets them eating them for now, I'm okay with it.
    Veggies first sounds like a great idea.
    Don't get into a power struggle - you're going to lose. Just keep serving them. I didn't like a lot of veggies as a kid, but i love them now. I probably lived on Spaghettios and pb&j until 3rd grade (when I added tuna sandwiches)
    Try a dip. Doesn't work for my kids, but I know others who love to dip stuff in ranch dressing or ketchup.
    Dr. Praeger's littles are popular around here. Especiallly the spinach.
    And I read that kids who have a wider variety of veggies on their plate eat more of all of them. so instead of green beans - a few green beans, a few cherry tomatoes, and a spinach little might get one of those things in his belly.
    Another friend says her kids prefer things raw.
    Any luck with tomato sauce? good source of veggies.
    Personally I'd stop offering pouches - it's baby food after all. Serve what you want him to eat and ignore if he won't. As Ellyn Satter says in Child of Mine (great book BTW) it's your job to offer healthy yummy meals - your child's to eat...or not.
    Some kids can be presuaded to eat if you start "stealing" food off their plates. They get a little possessive and eat it so you can't!
    Good luck with it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I wanted to add that I offerd my DD salmon over 20 times before she ate it. Now she loves it.
    And if he is having texture issues - go easy on him. Chunky peanut butter and tuna with celery still make me want to gag - and I'm in my 40s!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just wanted to add another Mom here with a non veggie eater. DS does eat fruit, most of them. But no veggies. He used to inhale the pouches, his favorite being the peas, pears and spinach. Stopped for a while, and now likes them again. I guess they are technically "baby food", but tons of people juice fruits and veggies, and my SIL has a spinach and fruit smoothie every morning... So I figure it's almost the same. And same nutrition, so I'm really pleased with him eating those!  At 22 mths, I take what I get :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'll admit that I'm still awful at eating veggies. In general the ones I do eat I only like raw. But I buy pasta sauce that has veggies in it and am able to get some veggies that way as long as I don't look too closely to what I'm eating. I believe the kind I buy is made by Ragu. 

Also what about V8 or V8 Splash? I know V8 Splash has tons of sugar but I believe they started making a low sugar version (I could have made that up!). It's worth a shot. 

Finally, a lot of my issues with veggies are texture related. Perhaps try preparing them several different ways and see what he prefers. I can't stand cooked carrots, yuck, but I'll gobble up raw ones. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

My friend swears by coating her her veggies in butter and salt (I know, bad) ala when we were growing up, and then when her kids got used to that particular veggie, she'd wean them off the butter and salt.

A little butter never hurt anyone, and it's best to go easy on the salt, but a dash here and there is not the end of the world.  A drop of soy sauce has more flavor than just salt (so you don't need much) and my kids would eat just about anything if you throw a dash of soy sauce on it.  Better to eat vegetables with a dash of salt than not eat any at all, just keep the sodium down to a minimum elsewhere.

The "yogurt" ranch dressings are actually mostly buttermilk, tasty and not too oily, and they're a big hit too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great post, pc.  In fact, butter is a good source of vitamin k, and not many things are.  And, adding fat to veggies makes the vitamins in them available for use (many are fat soluble) in the body.  Fat soluble vitamins without fat are useless which is probably the origin of using dressing in the first place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to post by micromom  "My three year old refuses to eat fruits and vegetables." Quote

They were talking about this cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld on one of the morning shows today,  I guess she's found a way to sneak things like spinach into brownies!

http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks/deceptively_delicious/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I'm definitely on board with the butter / seasonings / olive oil / dipping sauces.
    (For some reason, my DD's favorite is bottled pizza sauce.  She will dip anything in that.)

But I'm also with misslily regarding the power struggle situation.  I think your best bet to make it not a battle is to back way off and basically ignore it.  Give the non-eating no attention.
    I also read the child of mine book.  It's too long for what it is, but it's good general advice.  Here is the summary: "Put food on table/plate.  Let kid eat as much or as little as they want.  Eat your own food.  Don't react much to what the kid eats or doesn't eat.  Don't bribe or force."

Now you don't have to read the book.  :)
    I know it's easier said than done - I wish my DD would eat more vegetables, too.  And I do often give her veggies to munch when I'm preparing them (that seems to be when she eats most).  But I'm trying hard not to make it an issue.

Sections
Shortcuts