Funny sleep pattern of a 15 month old...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Funny sleep pattern of a 15 month old...

My DS had been sleeping through the night since about 5 months old. He naps well and things have been really great! We feel really blessed!

For the past couple of months he has been waking up around 12 or 1 not crying just talking and doing his little rocking thing while vocalizing...loudly! Our bedrooms are very close and we can hear everything! (even with both doors closed) At first I was going in making sure he was not too cold, not too hot, or wet or smelly...and I would snuggle him up and he was fine and I would put him down and he would start up again. This can go on for an hour or 2. We have tried having no afternoon nap, we have thought it was teething but with or without a dose of tylenol it happens, we are just not sure what to do - if anything! So now I just let him be and my DH and I try desperately to get some sleep ourselves...but I am feeling a bit guilty.

Anyone else go through this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Funny sleep pattern of a 15 month old...

I think it's very common, actually.  Sounds like you have a well adjusted, happy little guy who gets plenty of sleep (if he needed more he'd stay asleep) and can handle life when he wakes up alone until his body says, "Enough play, time to go back to sleep."  Rejoice!

ETA:  And, definitely don't teach him that he actually DOES need you to give him attention before he's able to fall back to sleep.  You have it perfect, and he's doing what healthy LOs do!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

So your 15 mo old wakes up, but is content to play on his own in the middle of the night? Lucky you!

Sounds like he's waking up to practice his new skill of talking! Kids like to do that, so it's totally normal.

As long as he's satisified, I see no need to change anything. He still needs his naps during the day. He'll settle in to sleeping again through the night. If you can leave him be to put himself when he's ready do that, you don't want  him to become dependent on you to put him back to sleep.

This will probably pass in a week or two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I agree, if he's not fussing and just playing to let him be (despite feeling guilty about it!). 

My 8 m/o DD wakes up in the morning and can amuse herself for an hour just talking and playing with the toys we have hanging on the side of her crib.  I always want to rush in as soon as I hear her, but DH told me not to, and he was right!  We watch her on the video monitor doing gymnastics and amusing herself.  I guess she loves it!  And it means DH and I get a little more snuggle time before the whole feed/chage cycle begins again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it shows healthy brain development - I hope you won't feel guilty about that!   LOs with a normal sense of self is something to celebrate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If he is getting enough sleep, I wouldn't worry too much for him. But if he is keeping you and DH awake, maybe get a white noise machine or turn on a fan or humidifier to mask the noise for your comfort and sleep.
    Even though it maight seem like this is the new "normal" it will probably stop at some point, and he will go back to sleeping through the night. If he is really loud, maybe it is time to start teaching the difference between loud and quiet (during the day) so that you can try and ask him to be quiet at night. But that might still be beyond his ability, so I would try teh white noise for your comfort.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

He might not even be awake -- he could be transitioning between sleep cycles and in a dream state (like night terrors without the terror). I would not go in or pick him up -- that would really wake him up and teach him to expect you in the middle of the night. Just let him settle himself back down -- a valuable skill for any age.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Thank you all for your posts. I will try not feeling guilty as I push the little lamb noise machine and close both of our doors. Speaking of the noise machines, where can you get a non-stop noise machine? Our little lamb plays for only 45 minutes.

Thanks again!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here are a whole bunch.  Not as inexpensive as I'd expected!

Noise machines

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

We went to bed bath & beyond and picked up a alarm/white noise machine - the constant rain sound was necessary for us to drown out the noise of us moving & doing stuff around the house.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We use the Dex one -- BRU sells it. We like the ocean setting. A fan also works well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

My 21 month old talks to himself in his sleep, alot!  If there's no crying, then I wouln't worry at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Kargiver - great link! I think I am going to order one today!

thank you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hope it works out for you!  I can't vouch for any of them, personally, but  it seemed to be a good smattering of prices and features.  Good luck!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Lemon--you read my mind.

Jetta--are you sure he's actually awake?  My DH is a sleep talker, DD (19 months) has night terrors on occasion (she had them ALOT when she was younger), and DS (also 19 months) occasionally sleep talks and there have been a couple of strange incidents of him just standing up in his crib at night (not saying or doing anything...just standing) around the time we go to bed and then he lays back down as soon as we touch him, so we suspect there's a bit of sleep "walking" going on with him.  It's really really freaky, but it's possible that he's not actually awake when he's doing this.  The pedi said since DH talks in his sleep that the kids will be more-prone to sleep talking and sleep walking and night terrors and that it's just something to be aware of as they get older (being vigilant about gates at the tops of stairs or even on bedroom doors, etc.).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Funny sleep pattern of a 15 month old...:
    [QUOTE]there have been a couple of strange incidents of him just standing up in his crib at night (not saying or doing anything...just standing)
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]

My daughter used to do that. It was super creepy! Sometimes she'd just be swaying side to side, like a zombie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

You know...sometimes I am not sure he is awake...Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind especially when he is in a big boy bed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I remember the first time I realized that my DD wasn't actually awake when she was screaming bloody murder...it was the most-bizarre thing I'd ever encountered.  Fortunately(?) my pedi had had to deal with night terrors with one of his kids, so he was able to give some good tips and insights about it from a personal standpoint as well as from a professional standpoint.  Next time he does it, you might want to go in and see if he acknowledges you (I suspect he would if he were awake) or not or if he acknowledges you talking to him in a low voice or whisper.  If he doesn't, he's probably still asleep.  Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Random aside - I haven't really been on the boards since my son was born a little over a year ago but Kargiver, you seem to know a lot about babies - did you have a baby since I left?  If so, congrats!  (What did you have?  And pardon me for not going through the archives to figure it out.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nope, I'm still the thus far barren woman who posts in Moms with knowledge I have from my mom who has a lot of professional early childhood development knowledge she's passed along to me over the years and, being 39, from about 15 years of hearing all the stories of the trials, tribulations, and solutions to common problems of my near and dear friends who've had babies.  Not first hand, but it's what I've got, and I only post when I honestly think it could help or if something relates in a particularly funny way to when my dog was a puppy.  Someone didn't find that very humorous last time, though...oh, well.

Thanks, anyway, though.  Maybe 2011 will make me Real.  (Reference to the Velveteen Rabbit)

Sections
Shortcuts