Gate with banister

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Gate with banister

I am starting the baby proofing process and need to buy gates for the top and bottom of our staircase. Has anyone used a gate that attaches to a banister? And one that is relatively easy to open? I can envision me and DD stuck upstairs for hours on end because I can't get around the gate. I wish I was only half kidding!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Re: Gate with banister

I am not sure I have a visual image on what you are asking for. Our top of the stairs have metal posts/railings on both side not wood but I am guessing you have wood. Since ours did not have any wood to attach to, my husband put up 2x4 board on the metal posts that is very secure and then we got the gate with the alarm - http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Security-Alarm-White/dp/B0032FOOSO

Alarm is annoying enough that we never forgotten to close it and it is easy to operate. I believe this one can be used with a wooden banister, but it will depend on how the railings are configured and the landing. It was not easy to put in, but now that it is in, it works great so far for us and easy to use.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

we had a professional installer come to put gates on our banisters (5 of them).  they drilled nice-quality, neutral-colored wood into the banisters and then mounted regular gates on them.  i highly recommend going professional if you care about what it looks like and/or have complicated stairs.  the company we used was http://www.safebeginningschildproofing.com/ - really, really nice husband/wife family business. 

if you're not into going professional, you might at least consider drilling wood to the banisters and mounting a regular gate on it.  i never would have thought it would look as good as it does.  much lower profile than the amazon link from the previous poster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Most of them will attach to a bannister. At the top of the stairs you have to get something that screws into the wood - no pressure gates because if you push it over you (or baby) will fall down the stairs.
    You can use a pressure gate at the bottom if need be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

We found gates that came with hardware intended to be attached with a drill and screws to the wall -- we used them with our banisters instead. The gates mounted easily, and were also easy to use one-handed. They might have been an Even-Flo product, though I can't remember -- though I'm almost 100% positive we got them at Babies 'R Us. We actually still have the ones on the upstairs still mounted (in case we have small visitors) and they are quite unobtrusive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

We have wooden banisters and they have a large flat piece at the top and the bottom that we could mount a piece of wood to. We didn't think drilling into the banister itself was a good idea. My DH has already set up a date with my 2 handy man uncles. Otherwise the professionals would be called. Thanks for the link.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newcarsmelly. Show newcarsmelly's posts

hi liv - i think we have the same type of banister. We got a gate from babies r us that have a zip tie type attachment. No drilling into the banister/wood. I absolutely love it! My 1.5 DD slams it and stands on it and it is totally solid. I spent a lot of time researching these gates. I'm not so sure why BRU site has so many poor reviews. It was not hard to install. We have molding on the wall side and the top latch adjusts to allow for the differnce in width.
    Agree with other post - def. don't do the pressure gate. I don't think they're safe enough and too narrow and it's such a pain to step over that bar on the floor.
    For the bottom of stairs, I got the cheap Safety 1st bamboo gate at BRU. I liked that I could move it around the house and use in different rooms. I hardly use it on the stairs anymore... my DD pretty much gets the idea that she's not allowed on the stairs. Obviously keeping them safe is #1 but I think sometimes the more you restrict the more they want to do it! ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I also say DO NOT drill into your banister.  When we moved into our house the previous owners had done so and they were ruined.  The holes ended up being to big to patch after removal. Replacing a banister is not an easy or cheap process to go through especially the way ours were in the floor.  Not to mention just trying to match the stain if it is stained. 
    We used one from BRU as well that was made for stairs.  It zipties to the railing and we used a piece of wood against it to protect the banister itself from rubbing.  Ours is a split level so we were mounting the gate to two banisters rather than one wall and banister and this one works great.  It was a bit more expensive but tons cheaper than replacing the banister itself.  DS stands on it, shakes it and it is not going anywhere plus opening and closing is easy.  I want to say it was the Summer brand but I can not remember exactly.  But they do exist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm with newcar and wrkingmom - I cannot imagine damaging our banisters if there's a way to safely secure a gate without doing so.  I'd master whatever contraption we needed to keep from drilling.  If you can drive a car you'll get used to whatever you install for a baby gate and be able to operate it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We used a kit from kidco that is made to install a gate on stairs at both the top and bottom.  It is a bit pricey ~$40 and then you have to buy a gate too but it allows you to not have to drill into a banister and works like a charm. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pricey?  I think $40 is super duper cheap compared to banister repairs, replacement, or living with it being patched forever for having needed to have a gate for a relatively short time.  DH is pretty fussy about the woodwork since he built the house, though, so maybe I'm extra sensitive to doing anything to damage it if there are ways around it, no pun intended.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Gates are in! Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. We ended up with the Summer brand Deluxe Wood Stairs gate. Expensive but I think they'll be worth it. My uncles were able to install them drilling into the wall and using the zip ties. They did make a small hole at the bottom of the banister, but you'd never notice it. Now DD just needs to start crawling!

Sections
Shortcuts