Gender neutral baby clothing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Gender neutral baby clothing

Hi ladies,
    I'll be having a surprise-gender baby in June and while I haven't started shopping for baby clothes yet, I've certainly started to think about it and casually peruse the internet. 

I seems so hard to find newborn/0-3 month clothes for baby "its."  I don't want a drawer full of ducky and froggie onesies in pale yellow and pale green.  And obviously I can't shop for boy/girl things until after it's here! 

Do any of you have good websites or stores where you can find simple gender neutral clothing that isn't so...boring?  Baby Gap has a surprisingly small collection of unisex clothes, as does Macy's. 

Also, since the baby will be born in June, it'll mostly wear light-weight things for the first couple of months, right?  What do summer newbies wear most of the time? 

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Gender neutral baby clothing

I have been searching recently too, our baby arrives in March.  Last time I only had a couple things and decided that I'd just wait for the gifts people would give (not to sound bratty).  The problem was that I only ended up with 5 or 6 newborn outfits (including what I bought) and that was not enough.  This time I have been looking at Macy's, Kohls, and Carters.  I like the sleep bag type things and those are easy to find in neutral otherwise most things look more boy like to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I think this is tough!  Most are ducks or frogs, to be honest.  And to me, a lot of the yellows/greens look feminine and a lot of the browns/neutrals look masculine.  But, I do think there are some cute options out there!
    You can try:
    Crazy8
    Children's Place
    Old Navy
    Gymboree or Janie and Jack (definitely pricier places though - check clearance/sale)
    Target
    Babies R Us - most of their brands like Amy Coe, Carters, Lamaze seem to have some unisex items.  I think you'll probably find the most one-stop shopping for unisex outfits at babies r us.  Everywhere else will have just a few pieces.
    For a June baby, you'll probably want a lot of onesies and lightweight cotton one pieces.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Mini Boden has cute stuff and they're having a sale. It's still very expensive, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If you are searching online, try looking for organic or dye free clothes. They are mostly beigey. But that still leaves you with limited color pallette, and they tend to be pricier than other clothes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

You can always spruce up a dull, beige onesie type outfit with a cute little bow (if girl) or socks or a hat to add color/gender.

I'm having the same issue, but I'm not terribly worried - but that's because I feel like I'm destined to have a large baby so we'll be in 3-month clothes in no time. :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It's tough to find neutral clothing!!  I wanted to get a neutral outfit as a joke for the day we found out what it was, but I found that even if the clothes were yellow/green/brown/orange, they leaned one way or the other.  Ended up buying a brown and pink dress instead :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

crazy8.com is great (they are the outlet for Gymboree and have super cute and cheap stuff).

Another thing that other new moms have told me is for the first few months, a whole pile of white onesies can do the trick, and you only need to 'dress up' the baby in to something nicer if you're expecting guests/going somewhere that may require it. So at this stage, I wouldn't be too concerned that the clothes may be plain or boring.

We are having a surprise gender too, this said though, I am more than happy to dress a baby girl in blues/navy/red and other colors that would traditionally be for boys (I guess, as long as there aren't pictures of fire trucks or tractors!)... I am certain though that if it does turn out to be a girl that I will definately not be one for heaps of pink and plentiful bows.  And I can gaurantee there will be none of those lacey stretchy headband things. Shudder!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

two other brands that may have gender neutral options:
    Zutano
    Little Me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We're all really into the navy blue and white thing, with red embellishments. There's definitely some sort of Kennedy fixation at work, there -- all those photos of them on their boat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, all!

MM - Zutano has exactly the type of things I'm looking for!  Thanks!  I told myself I wasn't going to start shopping for Baby until I started to feel it move on a regular basis, but I might start now :) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I'm adding L'oved Baby to the mix.  I even think they were on sale on zullilly a while back.  The colors are great the quality is EXCELLENT.  They have all the staples that can be tough to find.  Like sleeveless onsies and simple knit pants.  The colors are very neutral and they do have blue and pink so you can always add more in later. 

The other brand that pops to mind is zutano which is mostly super bright colors.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

It was quite a while ago, but I remember JC Penney had onesies and such with primary colored stripes, stars, etc. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThurberHero. Show ThurberHero's posts

You may find it pricey, but also

www.hannaandersson.com

has some very good gender neutral choices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soon2bmom. Show soon2bmom's posts

I am due next month and am planning on buying both girl and boy outfits and returning whichever I don't need. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I had a surprise gender baby.  I ended up getting a lot of gender neutral clothes at my shower.  My baby turned out a girl and just put a bright pink hat on her all the time.  It turned out it was pretty cute to put her in boy clothes and put the flourescent pink hat on her and pink shoes.  You can always get boy clothes and plan on accessorizing if necessary.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

I've had two surprise babies with very few clothes in the house (for the first and still packed away in the attic when the second arrived).  Getting a few gender appropriate outfits was a great excuse to give my mom and mother in law something to do when we first came home and I wanted a little quiet time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baileyblack. Show baileyblack's posts

Zutano and Baby Soy are two good ones for gender neutral clothing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  I'm just not a neutral color person - I love bright colors.  So the thought of dressing my kid in off white and pale yellow all the time (especially in June/July!!) drives me nuts.  I was surprised to find the lack of bright but gender-neutral colors out there in baby clothes! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I honestly wouldn't buy too much clothing.  People LOVE to buy baby clothing.  You will probably get a TON as gifts after the baby is born.  I had SOOOO much 0-12 month stuff for both of my kids some of it didn't even get worn.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemontree. Show lemontree's posts

My absolute favorite baby clothes are from Kate Quinn Organics: 

Really beautiful, bold colors, but gender neutral. Nice quality and comfortable, easy-to-use designs. They are expensive, but you can find sales and deals on sets, and they are absolutely worth it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I agree with Rysmom - we didn't want to know what we were having, so I bought some white snap side shirts (great for the newborns in the summer) and some onsies.  But once DD was born, I got a ton of clothes, even from people that attended the baby shower.  People love to buy baby clothes, so don't go too crazy now.  Just get the essentials.  Anyway, my DD was born in July, so she was pretty much in a side snap shirt and diaper only until about September.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I got so much clothing at the shower!!  But then we know what we're having.  Also a friend just reminded me that some people will bring gifts to the hospital and house after birth; I'm sure there is more clothing to come.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I did not think we would get tons of clothing after the baby was born and I was SO wrong.  We got piles!
    That said, our July baby wore white side snap shirts (also called kimono shirts; made by Gerber and Carter's and probably others) and a diaper almost all the time for the first three weeks.  We found it to be the easiest until after her bellybutton fell off.
    If you get a few really, really basic things like that, it could probably last you a few weeks until the influx of gifts has slowed and you can assess what else you need.  At that point you'll be happy for a break of shopping online or going out to the store.  :)
    Hanna Andersson has really good deals at the outlets if you are lucky enough to live near one.  There is one in Kittery.