getting back in shape

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

getting back in shape

so...  how do you do it?  we are 6wks postpartum, and ready to start exercising...  I would love to hear any reviews on mom and baby workouts -either mom/baby yoga classes, stroller strides, home dvds... or anything else I'm not thinking of.  I'd much rather work out with her than try to find time while she sleeps to work out alone.... and there is no way I'm putting her into the childcare room at a gym at this age.  we are taking walks, but the weather makes it tough right now.   anybody try any classes or videos that they loved?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Re: getting back in shape

WOW, lesal, 6 weeks already!!!!   

When I was home I did what I consider to be the easiest workout with baby; we walked.   I was lucky to be off in the fall and we had great weather so we went out just about every day.  I started small and eventally worked up to about an hour and 10 minutes right before I went back to work.  I am super fortunate that our neighborhood is prime  for running/walking.    There are TONS of hills, which helped burn calories.   As the weather started getting colder, and DD was getting into more of a routine, I learned when I could squeeze in an On Demand workout in my living room.   Do you have Comcast?   I LOVE the "Yoga Fitness Fushion" and the Jillian Micheals workourts are also great.   Sometimes I even had to do them with DD watching -- just sat her in the wonderful Hoppy Days Bouncy seat and I tried to talk to her and make funny faces and count as I worked out so she would be amused/engaged.   Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.     I looked into Stroller Strides but you have to pay for those classes and I just didn't think it would be worth it since I was going back to work and would no longer be able to go.      I did join a moms group for free and they get together a lot and walk so that was awesome too.  They also do their own version of a stroller workout but I was never able to make it.  

Now DD is 6 months and DH and I just invested in an elliptical for our home.   We also have some hand weights, kettlebells, resistance bands and baby to use for strength training.  Yes, I bench press my DD and she LOVES it.  Giggles away!!!    Some other things to consider are just trying to get things in when you can - so if you have to spread your cardio out into 3 , 10 minute sessions that is still getting your heart rate up and it's better than nothing.   Think of all the little things you do too that add up --- the trips up and down stairs, lifting that baby carrier in and out of the car, lifting other heavy objects around the house.  Something else you might want to look into would be a fitness studio, or someplace that doesn't require a membership but where you can go for a class.  I have a place in my neighborhood that does passes fro group fitness (like yoga or spin) for a certain number of classes (like I can buy a 10 class pass)  so that way I can go when it works for our schedule  and I don't have to worry about wasting a gym membership if I don't get there.   

I hope all this helps, even if just a little.  If you couldn't tell finding  both the time and new ways to workout post-baby has been something I have worked very hard at and thought so much about because it is something that is so important to me -- it was pre baby and I don't want that to change.      Good Luck--- and don'e be too hard on yourself, it has only been 6 weeks afterall!!!!!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

WALK!!!!  I know the weather isn't great, but it's the easiest thing to do with the baby - you don't need to worry about if they're awake or asleep, you can just go.  Also, the fresh air is wonderful for them.  I walked with my daughter from the very beginning and quickly lost the baby weight plus.  I kept walking and even did the Avon walk for Breast Cancer when she was 8 months old.  Sometimes she was in the ERGO carrier and sometimes in the stroller, depending on both of our moods.  She's now 2, and we walk together.  Granted, it's slower than I would like, but I love that she walks everywhere we go as she's getting exercise and tons offresh air.  I'm pregnant with #2 and plan to do the exact same thing, as I love being able to do it together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree, walk, walk and walk!  My DD was a February baby, and I'd take her to the Mall and walk a couple of laps there when the weather was too cold... you'll be surprised how many other moms you'll see doing the same thing!  By the time I went back to work in the summer I had lost almost all of the baby weight (between walking and nursing) sadly, some of it came back once I went back to work :(  No real time to get the the gym these days...

I tried Stroller Strides just as I was heading back to work and I did like it, definitely more intense than walking and more variety.  I have a friend who went more regularly than I, and she's really made some good friends there, other moms with similarly aged kids... I think it's a good fit when they're little, but harder once they're walking and not wanting to sit in the stroller for as long.  I'm going to try it when #2 arrives in August until I head back to work