Gift for MOM instead of 1 year olds?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gift for MOM instead of 1 year olds?

Hi, friends!  As moms, would you be OK with a gift meant really for you for your 1 year old's birthday?  They are so little they won't even know, and we don't have the money to get my friends a gift for "no reason."  My friends with the triplets will be celebrating their first birthday in June, and if you spend $50 on each baby, that's $150!  I'd really like to get a comfy cushion for the mom she can use to reduce fatigue in the kitchen.  I have one myself, and it helps my back SO MUCH.  They are expensive, and...well, you get where I'm going.  They have hard wood floors, and I don't have to tell you how exhausted she is and how often she's standing.

Is this totally wrong?  The babies won't know the difference, I'm thinking, but is it just gauche or something?

Thanks so much!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: Gift for MOM instead of 1 year olds?

I don't think it's wrong, but to be honest if I was a guest at the party and someone got the mom a gift I'd think it kind of weird. Not that the babies need tons of gifts but maybe you could get savings bonds or something similar? That way you can spend a set amount, it's useful and thoughtful, and it's not just adding to the pile of toys they'd need to unpack.

Maybe get the cushion for your friend for her first Mother's Day?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Sure - it's something mom needs in order to take care of the kids properly. Why not get them each a cute onesie or something - Carter's has cute things for summer that start around $6 each sometimes. And get mom something that helps her be a better mom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I would get the kids a small item, like a onsie or PJs, then get mom the mat - but only if she has indicated she would use it. I actually hate having mats on the floor in the kitchen - I think I spent too much time as a waitress seeing the filth that accumulated in the mats at the restaurant in the course of just one shift. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I know these are really good friends of yours but I think $50 for a birthday present for a baby is very generous! I think you could easily spend less money per baby and still be giving a very nice gift!

Thst said, if you want to get the mom a kitchen mat, I think I'd get something little for each baby too.  Maybe a kitchen related item, like a plate/bowl/cup/fork set or a placemat for the babies? That way it's sort of a theme gift for the whole family. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My one year olds LOVED stacking cups at that age. And it's the perfect time to stock up on toddler silverware and sippy cups - all of which are available at the Stop & Shop! :)

I'd love one of those gelpro mats - I have a hard tile floor in the kitchen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  I knew I'd get a well rounded collection of thoughtful suggestions.

amy-Lynn, I waitressed, too, and know what you are talking about (gross!), but these are solid, smooth, super easy to wipe clean, and nothing can get underneath ("Wellness Mat").  However, point well taken nonetheless.  If we decide we want to go with this idea, I'll ask her.

rama, et al, how much do people usually spend, do you think, on a baby's first birthday?  I made a teddy bear (crocheted) for their first, but it was far too much work to triple.  I'm not used to buying anything for babies because I've always made the gifts.

Love everyone's suggestion to at least get cute onesies for the babies along with the mat (if we do it).  Since I went to their 9 mo wellness visit with her I know how much they weigh, lol.  How many more pounds should they grow in 3 months?

thanks, again, everyone!

ETA: misslily, your post came up as mine did - yes, it's just like gelpro, just a competitor.  I'll check prices between the two brands.  Get yourself one for your birthday - it REALLY does what it says it does.  I spend about 6 hours a day in the kitchen, and I was hurting more and more until I got the  mat.  It saved my joints head to toe.  I never would have thought of toddler silverware - excellent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think I'd get some pj's, etc. for each one. You can size it based on the month usually so, 9-12 months may fit in three months, or you could go up to the next size when she might need the items more. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar- my kids have always used these. Plastic forks don't actually spear anything and are really frustrating. And they love the little knives (which I would put aside for 12 month olds). I think these come in fork and spoon sets without the knife also.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Graduates-Kiddy-Cutlery-Colors/dp/B00213DTT8/ref=sr_1_8?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1365769986&sr=1-8&keywords=toddler+cutlery

And they are probably good with 9-12 month clothes. Since they are trips, they probably aren't on the big side. I think my twins were just 20lbs at the 12 month appointment. I remember being happy that I could turn the car seats around. Of course now everyone waits until they are two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Kar, I think its very thoughtful of you to get something for the Mom, especially if it is something she wouldn't otherwise get herself.  The kiddos will gets TONS of gifts and won't know the difference.  Someone mentioned others at the party thinking it strange - if this is a concern, just give it to her separately, explain why and ask her to put it aside for herself for later.  =)  I wouldn't be offended at all if I were in her shoes.  =)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks re the 9-12 month clothing, Winter and misslily.  Yes, I suppose they must be on the smaller side for their age; I forget because they seem awfully heavy to me, lol.

I love that cutlery, and I know they will need more than they have now for their preschooler.  I still can't believe how many of everything they'll need for the next...forever.

ETA:  Cool, Nov - good idea.  We posted at the same time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

totally agree with Novembride and others!  if the mat is something she would like, it's way more useful than more gifts that are directly for the kids.  Also agree with misslily about the metal forks.

for your other question about $$ for birthday presents - I don't usually spend more than $25, even for a kid of a good friend.  It's possible that I've given more than that for baptisms of really good friends, but in that case I give a check or savings bond.  $50 of baby stuff (toys, clothes, books) is usually a lot of stuff, unless it's fancy brands or a piece of gear (like car seats, which they already have that stuff).  Personally, I would rather DD get less stuff!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hm, good perspective on $$, thanks.  My handmade stuff can't really equated to baby stuff in the stores as far as price goes so I've never really had to think about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

If it was a super close friend I think the most I would spend is $35 on a first birthday gift but I'd agree with Med that even $25 would be generous.  I aim to spend about $15-20 on kids presents for family and family friends and $10-$15 for kids who are friends with DD through school.  I understand the first birthday gift is maybe a little more special but i wouldn't go much higher. I think $50 would be appropriate for a religious event, like a baptism, or maybe to mark some other very special milestone. But I obviously don't know your circle of friends and you know best what the norm is. 

About clothes - I always love when I get clothes that are a little bigger than what I need necause they will last longer. nothing worse than getting gifts of cute clothes and having them fit for a few weeks and then are too small. Ask the mom what size she needs - she may be all set with summer stuff and request long sleeve clothes in a bigger size for the fall. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That helps, too, rama.  Maybe I'm shooting to high.  Like I said, I never gave the money side of it much thought because I always made the gifts, and the materials were not expensive at all.  I just can't make 3 of everything at once every year, LOL.  Maybe I'll get ambitious next year and make them all teddys for their 2nd birthday. :)

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses, as always.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I think the first birthday, especially for triplets, is a significant one.  Their mother has certainly earned a special gift, or even simply a card recognizing their hard work and dedication would mean a lot.  It would be nice to get something small for the kids, or you could get one gift that all three can use.  We're on a budget, I don't spend more than $20 for children's gift unless it's a very special friend.  You can get a lot for that amount.  Really It's not necessary to spend so much, it's the thought that counts, and if you're thoughtful, it's more meaningful than money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar - you could get the kids one gift like the Fisher Price Barn - which is about $35. My kids loved it at that age. They can all happily play with it and you can still get the mom something special.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

MM, we're on a budget, too, and I'm happy to know I was shooting too high and to have you all in agreement about it.

misslily, I love the idea of one gift for all.  I'll look at the fp barn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

This one!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-People-Animal-Sounds/dp/B0089W1JCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365937756&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+price+barn

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooooh, I LOVE it!!!!  THANKS!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

One year old triplets, a group gift is fine, $30-50 total.

Other things that are nice but not super expensive--hard cover picture book, music CD's, stories on CD. 

Sections
Shortcuts