Going Rate for Mother's Helper/Babysitter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Re: Going Rate for Mother's Helper/Babysitter

When I was 22 and in school I watched two kids in Brookline and was paid $15 an hour (this was a few years ago).  When I started the younger child was the same age as your twins and the major difference from your situation was that I had to drive them around to the older siblings activites.  I negotiated the $15 because I was carting them around quite a bit and the $10/hour they initally offered to pay just wasn't worth the drive from Winchester to Brookline 5 days a week. 

Depending on what you can afford and what area you live in (IMO this makes a difference) you should be able to hire someone for around $12.  I'm transistioning to working part time from home 3 hours a day, four days a week and our neighbor's daughter will be playing with DS while I work upstairs.  She's 15 and we're paying her $10.

HTH!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Going Rate for Mother's Helper/Babysitter

I'm in the process of trying to find a mother's helper/babysitter for my 2 year old twins.  I'm looking at some of the local colleges for a girl who will come one or two afternoons a week and play with the kids while I'm here.  When we all get comfortable, I'd also like her to sit occasionally in the evening so my DH and I can finally go out once in a while.
    So what's the going rate for something like this?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We have a HS senior who babysits regularly for us (or at least she did until DS#2 arrived!). We pay her $10/hr.

[Babysitter's mother is a work colleague of mine and she simply can't believe we pay her $10/hr. The first time we arranged a sitting, mom said, "Just pay her $5...she'll take it!" We stayed with our initial offer. :) ]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

From what I've heard $10-15/hr is the usual.  On the lesser side for someone young (high school, early college) and on the greater side for 2 year old twins- I am sure that's a handful.  I would say $12/hr should be fine??  Just my opinion!