Graco Nautilus vs Britax Frontier

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Graco Nautilus vs Britax Frontier

DS, 9 months, will shortly be moving into the convertible car seat.  We currently have Britax Marathons that DD is in and we will put DS in those.  Therefore we need to buy new car seats for DD and want this to be the last.    My only requirement really besides saftey is that it reclines.  DD frequently still sleeps in the car so that is feature is a must.   So I did some reseach and found the Nautilus and Frontiers to be pretty similair.  The ratings are basically the same.  The frontier is about 100 more expensive. 

Does anyone have either on one of these and can share some pros and cons?  Does anyone have another seat they can recommend?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Graco Nautilus vs Britax Frontier

we just moved DS into the britax frontier 85. things I like and what made us get that over the graco: You can adjust the crotch strap-reviews of the graco had complaints from kids about they end up sitting on the buckle and it's uncomfortable/hurts. DS loves the cup holders (The graco has this too-he's just totally thrilled to have them now). We just love britax products-even switched to their strollers and have always been pleased.

Cons:
    -You cannot adjust the head rest as easily as you can on the boulevard (the other seats we have)-I haven't found a way to move it up or down without uninstalling the whole seat-but I honestly haven't really looked.
    -The way the latch tightens is weird. Instead of each latch strap getting tightened independtly you secure one latch, then the second and you only have one strap to pull to get a snug fit. And I haven't been able to get it as secure as I would like. I need to have DH put some more muscle behind it.

Would I get it again. Yes.

I'm not sure either of them recline for sleeping-but DS has not had a problem falling asleep in the frontier.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I will make your decision tough, and tell you now how much I like our Nautilus! LOL. I bought it when DS needed a second seat, and I also wanted it to be his last. My son is 5 and still use the 5pt harness on it, and it's now his primary seat b/c he is very close to outgrowing his other seat (Marathon) by height. My son loves the seat b/c of the cup holder and the little secret compartments under the armrests. I like that it is sturdy, big enough that he won't outgrow it prematurely, and easy to install correctly (though I didn't like that I had to learn how to install it b/c our other seats were all Britax). But it is easy, and I like that $100 I didn't spend on another seat. I am not at all the type to scrimp on car seat purchases, but I couldn't find any good reason to buy a different one. I will get another this fall when my infant seat expires and DD2 inherits DD1's Marathon. Happy shopping!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Oh, we have not had the sitting-on-buckle issue. I forgot the buckle thing though - it is hard to open. Actually takes me two hands, which was slightly annoying when DD was a baby and I was holding her. But I like that DS can not unbuckle himself! (He's big enough now that it's not a sorry, but when he was 3 it was an issue.) The buckle does come with some kind of padded cover, but we don't use it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We own both the Marathon and the Nautilus.  When DD1 was moving into a convertible seat we wanted to get the top of the line with the Britax.  My only real complaint about it is that it is HUGE.  We have a small 4 door sedan and it seems mammoth in the car.  We also struggle with getting DD1 in without hitting her head on the car.

When we needed to get another car seat for DD1 for a different car, we decided to go with something different for the reasons about, we had less money to spend on it and I wanted something that would last DD1 through the rest of the time in a car seat. We like the Nautilus for the price and that it was a car seat, a booster with back and a booster seat.  In fact, we liked it so much we got another one when we needed another car seat for DH's car and have a twin sit in the Britax. Other than DH not realizing that the shoulder straps adjusted and having to take the car seat out myself (7-8 months pregnant with the twins) and fix them, we haven't had any issues with it.  We have a very tall little girl(42 inch 3 year old last July) and have no complaints about the crotch strap or anything else from her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks Everyone, keep the opinions coming.

On the review I do keep seeing issues about the crotch buckle, but anyone that I know that has one has never said anything about it.