Groceries with a newborn

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Groceries with a newborn

Ok, I feel like a dunce asking this... but could I get some advice on how to do groceries with my newborn?  I'm not really strong enough (yet) to cart around the car seat bucket on one arm and push a shopping carriage at the same time.  But I'm guessing I can't put the car seat bucket on top of the carriage... Do I just take his stroller and pile items under and inside?

Thanks all.  Wow - this mom thing is a huge learning experience :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

Re: Groceries with a newborn

Why can't you put the car seat on top of the carriage?  I do this all the time.  I have also used the Moby Wrap and Baby Bjorn but that makes it difficult to empty out the cart when you get to the checkout line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never seen anyone carrying the baby in one hand and pushing the carriage in the other.  I have seen car carriers strapped on to the carts. 

Then, again, there's always Peapod. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

IPW -- the bucket carriers usually fit in the seat part (where you used to put your purse). Some of them even clip on, like a snap'n'go. It was confusing to me, too -- I had to ask another mom at Shaw's what to do. Our Safe Seat didn't clip -- it was too big -- but it was secure enough that we didn't worry about it. I always kept a carrier with me too, though, since my daughter didn't like being in her seat and would usually start fussing after a couple minutes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I put the car seat in the basket part of the carriage (which basically takes up the whole carriage).  The I got re-useable bags and I'd fill those and either store them under the carriage or I had clips that hang on the carriage the bags could hang off of.  After a few trips it got a lot easier.  I have seen a lot of people shop with the Bjorn, I was never good at getting the baby in and out of that on my own.

ETA: I use shopping buddy at stop and shop so I scan and bag as I go. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My friends w/ newborns either send Dad, or take a break from the baby by going shopping when dad is home.  Esp in cold and flu season, it's probably better to leave a tiny newborn at home. 

Peapod is also a great idea. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

The car seat basket/bucket will often fit exactly in the seat on a shopping cart.  Ours had a notch that fit right over the back of the cart seat and it was very stable. 

But when you pick it up, if the latching mechanism is on your basket and not on the base, watch out that the hook or latch that connects the seat to the base doesn't get caught on the cart.  You'll try to pick up the seat and find yourself attached and looking very silly, no doubt with a tsk-tsking old lady breathing down your neck watching the show.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbmboston. Show kbmboston's posts

I have heard horror stories of carts tipping over with the car seat on top.  I never felt comfortable, but would put the whole bucket into the basket and pile groceries around him.  However, I did not shop with him til he was 4 or 5 months old for fear of flu season.  I basically did not take him anywhere out for the first 3 months on advice of my pedi and famly.  (He was born in October)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

This is probably not totally helpful, but I do what ALF says. I grocery shop at night after DS has gone to bed. SO much easier than trying to wrangle a baby AND shop. (I shop at the Roche Bros in West Roxbury...if you've ever been there, you know that it is impossible at the best of times...) In fact, I even met another mom who was also doing the same thing one Saturday night. We've become friends and see each other for coffee regularly. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I used to wrap my baby up with me and just push the carriage around. I have a Graco Snugride32 and it didn't clip into the carriage as well as other car seats. Some grocery stores even have carriages with the baby carrier built into it, but I  never used them... kind of skeeved me out wondering how clean they were.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why wouldn't it be helpful, kiwi?  I know of 4 moms [one of whom has twins] who never bring the kids grocery shopping b/c it's so much faster and less stressful than trying to wrangle an infant in a carrier and a grocery cart.  I can see where Peapod can get expensive [even /w free delivery over $100 - yes, I've priced it before b/c I hate grocery shopping lol], but shopping when dad is home w/ the baby to give you a break and him some alone time w/ the baby works well for at least 4 families that I know of. 

ETA: It takes me about 2-2.5 hours round trip to go grocery shopping.  The store is about a 15-20 minute ride in each direction.  It takes me about 45-1 hr to shop, depending on how busy it is.  It then takes me about 30 minutes to get the food into the house and put away.  This is all w/o a tiny baby in tow.  I go every other week or every 3 weeks b/c it's such a PITA; I will get produce and perishables w/ a quick in and out on inbetween weeks.  I cannot even fathom how you would coordinate this w/ a newborn who needed to be fed in the middle of a 2 hour shopping trip for groceries.  This is why my friends leave the baby at home - or that's what they tell me anyway.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I used a Moby wrap to get all my shopping done and it was so nice to have DS all snug as a bug when I was out.  You don't really need to worry about germs as much because baby stays so close.  Bending over can be a bit hard when baby gets bigger but you should have baby wrapped pretty high, at the very top of your stomach/across chest so I never had any trouble until DS got to be over 4 months.  I would bend over to reach what I wanted and just put an extra hand over his head.  When wrapped properly you don't even need that, you can tuck baby's head right into the wrap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

So hard to shop with an infant!  I either go shopping with my DH and one of us pushes the stroller while the other pushes the cart.  If I'm by myself I just get a few things and store them underneath in the stroller basket.  I would not feel safe with the infant seat on the shopping cart handle bars. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I just meant not entirely helpful because it seems IPW is looking for solutions so that she and the baby can go to the grocery store together. The non-baby thing definitely works for me, though!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ha ha, our pediatrician urged me to get out of the house.

If your baby doesn't sleep in the seat, the carrier really is great. If I have another I'll invest in a mei tai-style carrier -- something easier to use than the Moby.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

kiwi - we are similar to you. Either myself or DH go grocery shopping while the other stays home with ds. We do run other errands with him, though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I can't trust anyone to shop or do laundry for me. I have very specific needs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I guess that I like to live on the wild side.  I bring both kids to the grocery store.  DD who is 2.3 likes the car carts and she hops in and out of the cart and grabs snacks for herself.  DS (3 weeks) goes in the car seat right on top of the seat area (it secures to the cart that way).  I did have to stop the other day to nurse during shopping, but DS usually falls asleep right after eating anyway so it wasn't that bad.  Or DH and I tag team the grocery store and we each get 1 kid.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I always just used the stroller.  Granted, it was a double stroller, so had more room underneath, but the single snap n' go's have quite a bit of room too, from what I can tell.  Also, someone mentioned the clips for the grocery bags:  http://www.themommyhook.com/ I know many mothers who swear by those (I've never used them myself).  I've seen them sold at grocery stores in the same area where they sell the reusable bags.  Between the bottom of the cart and a couple of those to hold a few bags, you should be able to pick up a decent amount of stuff.

As the baby gets a bit older and opinionated in a few months, it may become more difficult to shop with him, but if you're up for it, and he's content, I say go for it.  I rarely attempt to grocery shop with my two these days, but they love Target and BJs.  Grocery shopping is just a bit different, though, for some reason.  If I "have to" get something and need to take them with me, I usually just get in and out as quickly as possible and save the "big" grocery shopping for after they're in bed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

IPW when I first got home after my csection my mom would come with me to the grocery store.  She would offer to go for me but I liked the opportunity to go out which my pediatrician also recommended.  She would carry DS into the store and put him in and out of the car.  I put DS in his car seat on the seat of the carriage.  It feels very secure and I can't imagine it toppling over. 

I usually go right after nursing so he doesn't get hungry while I am there.  Every time I have gone he has slept through it.  Once when he was awake when we arrived he fell asleep shortly into the trip.  And to keep people away I keep the carseat hood up and one of those swaddle blankets over it so only I can see him. People would have to seriously invade mine and his space to see him which no one has done yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

When DS got a bit bigger, I would put him in his carseat which strapped to the stroller (sort of like a snapngo) on my Orbit Baby and then use the saddle bags to shop with. Granted, people would see us coming down the isle and run the other way, but it sure made life easy.  I should probably have been banned from the grocery store.  We were so wide, I would have to go though the designated handicap isle at Trader Joes or I wouldn't have made it through. 

I do wonder about the safety of the car seat on top of the cart, I probably would have put it inside the carriage itself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Much more difficult than groceries with a newborn: IKEA with a newborn.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

I always go shopping with my baby - grocery shopping, Target, TJMaxx, etc. I put his car seat on the seat part of the carriage as well. I have a Baby Trend car seat and the latch part sometimes fits perfectly in between the metal where the back is. I will sometimes put his car seat in the big carriage area if I don't think it will be secure enough where the seat is. Then, I will just use the seat area for my items. My son (4 months) isn't crazy about this though. He loves to look around and so this obscures his vision. He doesn't cry but he's not a happy camper.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Not until having a baby in a carseat did I realize that not every cart is the same!  Love grocery carts, with my baby trend infant carseat I was able to shop at Market Basket and Stop and Shop just by putting the seat in the front (the kid seat) and letting the little seat grabber thing rest on the back of the kid seat.  I found it awkward to shop when using a cart that has a drink holder, then the price gun holder, so I would scan for an accessible cart without these and it made shopping easier.  The only thing I didn't like is that you can't see baby when you're unloading your cart.  Target - the seat backs are way too high to support the carseat, so baby got to ride in the carseat in the cart, but that made it hard to get big things, but I'd leave the seat in the rocking position and she'd fall right to sleep.  Lowe's, those kid seats weren't made for kids!  I wouldn't even put my daughter in there until she was very good at sitting on her own, so that was another store where baby rode in the carseat in the carriage bottom. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I used to put DS in the top of the carriage with his Snugride. It would snap in.  I know there are horror stories about this not always being the safest position, but we had not problem with it and by the time he was super-wiggly, he could sit up and sit in the actual carriage seat.  If it makes you squeamish to do this though, you can put the bucket in the main part of the carriage and use tricks like the Mommy Hook as others suggested.  I have one of these for my stroller when I want to walk with DS to our local market for some quick items - it is great.  Also great for mall shopping!  Also, when i'd run out of room in my carriage, I'd loop my green bags on the cupholder, on the holder for the shopping buddy, anywhere I could to make extra room.  If your little one seems content in the bucket, I say, why not go shopping.  It will get you out of the house and help you realize that you can do "regular" things again (this was a huge learning curve for me).  I always take DS shopping and although his demands for free cheese at the deli aren't always cute, we have a good time, enjoy talking to eachother, and i hope on some level, it is teaching him patience?  maybe?

Sections
Shortcuts