Help! Newborn who WON'T nap!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

Help! Newborn who WON'T nap!

Hi all... Anyone out there dealing with a newborn that won't nap during the day??? mine fights it all day long regardless of what i try... swing, walks, car seat, vibrating bassinet, being held, baby bjorn, being put down... (most success happens either in our arms, baby bjorn or the car seat these days which is great but none seem to be a solution) yet, interestingly, he sleeps wonderfully at night... he's been doing three hour stretches a while now and he's only 2 months today... and then going right back to sleep after eating... I ask because the no napping during the day is at the point where he'll go for stretches of five, six hours with no more than a few minutes here and there of sleep and be inconsolable... anyone experience this with their own? suggestions? i feel like we're at a lose as to what to do... we have tried everything we can think of short of "crying it out"... which we are not sure about for a baby this young... (thoughts?) any help would be appreciated! we're getting concerned considering everything we read suggest that our boy should be napping for many hours a day!
    thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Help! Newborn who WON'T nap!

Do you have The Happiest Baby on the Block? That helped us a LOT with our nap-resistant newborn.

A bjorn isn't a very comfortable ride for a baby (or parent) -- you might fare better with a Moby or an Ergo (or equivilent).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Too young for CIO. Comfy dark room, tight swaddle.
    Have you tried a sound machine? "White noise" like rain or mommys heart beat can help.
    Lemon is right about "Happiest Baby" - get the DVD - it's quicker than reading the book.
    Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I went through the same thing with DD.  She would only nap for like 20 minutes at a time.  It sounds like you are already putting in the effort, but I had to rededicate myself to getting her to sleep, even if it meant swaddling and then walking around for 20 minutes until she fell asleep.  I'll try to find that old thread to bump it for you.  Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

My oldest was the same way.  I remember explaining the situation to his pediatrician and she said, "well, some kids just don't nap."  I wanted to scream "I was told there would be naps!  If he doesn't nap, when do I get to nap?"

The good news he was (and is)a great night sleeper. The bad news is no rest for the weary mom during the day.  Doc said he's probaby picking up enough rest during those cat naps and as long as he's growing and happy, he'll be fine.

One ray of hope is that around two months, you sort of go from newborn mayhem to a bit of a rhythm.  I kept a little chart of eating and sleeping, after a few days patterns do seem to emerge and you might see some opportunities to encourage a snooze.  

I'd also recommend some sort of consistent bedtime routine.  Keep it simple, ours was dark room, two books, cuddle, bed.  Do what works for you, the consistency is the key.  

A friend of mine swore by the Miracle Blanket.  We tried it with our second, and it worked well.   Keeps a nice clean swaddle if your little one is a houdini.

Good luck and hang in there!  The beginning is a challenge, you'll get in a groove soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I just remembered our fail-safe for sleep -- holding the baby while bouncing on an exercise ball! That was the only thing that stopped her from shrieking. Also wearing her in the moby or ergo while bouncing around. They explain it in THBOTB, but the womb is a noisy, exciting place, and when the baby is in the world she misses the sounds and sensations of the womb and likes to hear LOUD white noise and experience vigorous bouncing.

I don't think my daughter had any kind of schedule at two months. I know it's brutal, but you just have to gut it out for a bit. It sounds like your baby already has a solid foundation for a future sleep schedule, though, so you're actually ahead of the game!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I was trying to remember what my twins were like at 8 weeks - I've probably blocked the whole sleep-deprived mess out of my head by now.
    I do remember that my DS - who is a lighter sleeper, liked sleeping curled up on my father's shoulder.  It turns out he's a tummy sleeper and once he could roll over at 4 months he slept so much better.  Unfortunately you can't put your LO down on his tummy.
    Mine also liked the bouncy seat with the v!brator. They both HATED swings. Although I can't get DD out of one on the playground now that she's two. :)
    I loved the Kidapotamus Swaddle-me blankets.  And I read Weissbluth  Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby and tried to get a schedule started. I do remember 4 or 5 catnaps a day for a while which was so tiring.
    Hang in there - a schedule will emerge eventually.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Are you sure he's not hungry?  Just because he can go 3 hours at night doesn't mean he doesn't need to stock up during the day.  I seem to remember (though it's kind of hazy) my daughter going through some crazy growth-spurt eating around that age.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

We ran our exhaust fan for our stove or would make loud SHOOSHing noises... the exercise ball was also key the first couple of months as well.

Try running the vacuum or the shower. If white noise is the answer you can buy a white noise machine. 2 months is generally the peak of crankiness so I would imagine over this next month things should improve.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Things that worked for us:
    K'Tan Sling (worked better than the Bjorn - kept baby snug and secure, blocked out over stimulating distractions).  This worked great for soothing baby while also getting things done.  I could cut up fruit for DS, type a few emails at my kitchen island, and do a little bounce and DD would calm right down.
    Sleep Sheep:  Always putting DD down with that sound has made her now be soothed just by the sound itself. 
    Going back to the swaddle.  Try a really tight swaddle, even a Miracle Blanket or the Aden + Anais blankets.  Those swaddleme velcro contraptions never worked for me with either kid... arms would get out and never seemed to fit quite right.
    My tried and true baby knock out is a tight swaddle, a standing combo of swaying and bouncing, pacifier if they take one, and a shhh, shhh shhh sound all at once.  
    I didn't read the book mentioned above, but I did read the Weissbluth book... one thing that really stuck with me is trying to pick up on tired cues ASAP.  I missed them a lot at first and then I started to see a pattern, would immediately do my swaddle routine above, and DD was out for a nap.  With DS, I would frantically walk, rock, etc, b/c I was missing cues but w/ DD I figured it out.
    Good luck!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Yes, children are sleepy way BEFORE they are rubbing their eyes and yawning.  A yawning chlid is the sign of an overtired child. I can see it in a baby's eyes - they get a little bit glazed over, and sometimes under their eyes gets darker, or puffier, or something.  but teachers will sometimes say she can't be sleepy, she isn't yawning...  but that's WAY PAST time!

yes, that swaddle (or tightly holding), twisting back and forth and saying  shhhhhhhhh shhhh shhh over and over seems to work.  I also find it helps you get into the 'zen' of calmness and sleepness - that is, if you are stressed and worked up (I MUST get this baby to sleep right NOW!) then it's harder for you to relax your arms and send going to sleep vibes.  After all, they are near your heart, which when you are frustrated seems to beat a mile a minute, so I guess that makes sense!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ladeeda - Wasn't sure if you know how to find older posts, so thought I would bump this for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

This might be old news by now... but I'm on board here, too - when my DS was 2 months he stopped napping... the only way I could get him to nap was on my chest after nursing him.  We'd both lie down for 2 hours which was nice for both of us...but that didn't help in getting me a shower!!!  He's now almost 3 months and still doesn't go down for a nap unless I really work at it, and even then, it's on the couch and not in his bed. 

I hate to admit it, but the pacifier also works at getting him to snooze...it's a slippery slope but right now it works. 

Oh - and he's also a GREAT night sleeper, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I'd rather be a dirty well-rested mama than a shampooed tired one. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout  - I was just thinking of you the other day and hoping everything was going well!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Help! Newborn who WON'T nap!:
    Are you sure he's not hungry?  Just because he can go 3 hours at night doesn't mean he doesn't need to stock up during the day.  I seem to remember (though it's kind of hazy) my daughter going through some crazy growth-spurt eating around that age.
    Posted by lissafro

Hm, I actually posted something (the first response) regarding the big growth spurts the first year and changing sleep patterns as a result, but it got deleted.  Did I offend someone?  I hope not...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I remember you had posted, Kar.  That is really bizarre!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You do?  Was it offensive?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not that I remember.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool...still, it's weird that it's gone.  Oh, well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

thanks for the help everyone... the tips offered have def been helping... as well as the assurance that my baby wasn't the only one out there who struggled with napping... we are at least taking naps, albeit small ones, more regularly... as for the missing post, i'd be interested in reading it if the writer wanted to repost... i never saw it... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, laleeda, it was mine, but I think what I suggested has been covered by others.  The only thing I don't see is the possibly stupid idea (given his age) of testing to see if he'll settle himself down (NOT a full on CIO given he's so young) because he might be crying while you're holding and bouncing him because he's overtired and actually might want to be put down and given the chance to self sooth and go to sleep.  I'd not push it, of course, at his age.  I'm not a mom, but at almost 40 I have a lot of friends who've gone through it and shared their experiences with me. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, mystery solved, there are two threads that seem to be about the same thing, and I posted in one and not the other.  Then, of course, checked the one I didn't post in and wondered what happened to my post.  

Goodness, 39 and already losing my mind.

Sections
Shortcuts