hmm, possible diaper blowout solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

hmm, possible diaper blowout solution

I tried this for the first time today (she just had a really messy diaper to test this with -it seems her blow out always go a direct line up the back of her diaper), I took a cotton ball and put it in the back of her diaper after I changed her. Right where her little bum crack starts. I changed the dirty diaper and it seems the cotton ball helped the p-o-o from travelling farther up the back and out of diaper.

I'm going to keep trying this and see if it stops or atleast helps the situation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Re: hmm, possible diaper blowout solution

I'd try different diapers.  When my DD was born, we used Pampers swaddlers, but had major issues with going up the back.  I then switched to Target generic and down the leg.  I then changed to Huggies Snug and Dry and they've worked like acharm - we very rarely have any issues.  I think all kids are different and it just takes finding the diaper that's made for their body, as they're all made a little differently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My "babies" are now 32 and 34 years old. But I am quite concerned, why your babies have so many "blow-outs" and it has become such a big problem, that you have to ask for a solution on a web site.  Except for a couple of times, I never had those blow-outs. Definitely not on a regular basis.
    If they did happened, I changed their diet/food for a few days. And all would be well.
    Of course, the food I gave them was all made at home. Breast feeding and veggies cooked and mashed up. Maybe the preservatives,  they use in the baby jars has something to do with it. I don't know, and I am definitely not one to blame you new motheres to use, whatever  is convenient. I was lucky to be able to be a stay-at-home mother, so I had the time to prepare those meals for my babies. But today it seems everyone needs to work. So grabbing a few jars of baby food may be an easy way out. Even though everyone use them, they may not be so good for your little one. Just wondering.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm going to go ahead and call this one as the Post To Watch Today.  ;) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Hi Pingo I am a stay at home mom also and am exclusively breast feeding, and I think like other people said - try another brand (which I am going to do) and once I get her eating some solid foods the problem will go away - right now her movements are so liquid they literally can shoot in a straight line up the back of her diaper.  I like the pampers sensitive because they are so nice & soft, but there is no elasticity at the back to keep it snug there. The huggies are better for elasticity but the pad that is in the diaper is rather thick & firm - good for urine, but when she has a bowel movement - it sits on top and gets pushed out the sides. Thanks for insinuating it has to do with my parenting and not the diaper.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Wholly ignoring Pingo's post, for reason of not wanting my head to explode, benice, have you tried the Huggies Pure & Natural diapers?  I only used them once (a small package) but I seem to recall one of the things I liked was that there was nice elasticity in the back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Kaydo, I think some people have been posting on BDC for too long and need to take a break from criticizing people behind their keyboard. I'd switch DD over to Pingo's breastmilk, but I'm guessing it's dried up by now.

I ordered some diapers from costco and am going to see how those go... I'm still testing my cottonball theory as well, DD only had one poopie diaper yesterday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Benice - any teething, increase in drool, or runny nose?  All of this can contribute to looser BMs and blowouts too... not just perservatives ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

MM379, none of the above ... I think it's just about the shape of her body and how her diaper fits ... thanks for the information though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Benice, I think you need to switch to a bland, organic, macrobiotic diet to solve this problem.... 

My guess is pingo used cloth diapers, which, although they have their downside are supposed to be good for this sort of thing.  When I was using gDiapers--with flushable inserts, not cloth--although the urine occasionally soaked through, blowouts were rare.  And if she didn't use cloth diapers, as most would imagine, disposables were VERY different 20 - 30 years ago when her kids were babies, so one really can't compare them to today's diapers.  Don't worry--someday she may have grandchildren and figure out that this issue is not as much about parenting and diet as she thinks.

If DD is eating solids, switching to a BRATT (bananas, rice, apples, tea, and toast--minus the tea and toast of course, so, I guess, technically, a BRA diet...how appropriate) diet for a day or two may help to dry things up a bit, but then you run the risk of needing prunes to get things moving again.  Good times....

Not gonna touch the jarred babyfood issue b/c it'll just get me worked up....

Has the cotton ball trick continued to work?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Benice - From the sound of your Diapers post it just sounds like its that she is long - Also, when I EBF there were a lot MORE blow outs than once we moved to formula and solids.  

Most likely you just need to go through trial and error of different diapers.  Any of your friends have babies around the same age or size that you could just ask for a few of their diapers to try?  I would offer you my Pampers Dry size 2, but I just recently gave them away!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridesmom52. Show bridesmom52's posts

Pingo:

I don't post much but read these boards often as I'm soon to be a first time grandmother. My babies are 30 and 32.

You must have used some pretty terrific diapers because in the "old days" 30 or so years ago, there were not many choices for disposable diapers nor for cloth diapers. My younger daughter, who was breastfed, routinely had blowouts until she was on regular food.

Now I was not a stay at home mom like you but I did not use prepared baby food from the store either - I did manage to make my own from fresh ingredients as well. At the time, there was a lot of salt and sugar in jarred baby food and my pediatrician strongly recommended not using it. Baby food today has a lot less additives and is much more nutritious than it was in our day.

Having had both  formula fed and a breastmilk fed babies, I can attest that the p-o-o-p of my breast fed child was much more watery and explosive than my non breast fed child.

It has NOTHING to do with being a stay at home versus a working mom nor the type of baby food you use.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

DD was in the 90% for length at her 4 month appt last month and 75% for weight... we are now quite comfortable in the 6-9 month clothes.. I have 1 friend in this state with a baby, I asked her and she only used pampers. It would be awesome if you could buy a "sampler" of all diiferent brands....someone should market that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I'm happy to bring a few size 3 BJ's brand and a couple of size 3 Target brand to our meet up--just remind me when it gets closer or I'll forget.  I think size 3s generally hover around that 15 - 25 lb. mark, so if DD is anywhere close to that, you could give them a try.  My kids have outgrown most of their 6 month clothes, but are fitting pretty comfortably into their 9 and 12 month ones, so your LO may not be too far off from them size-wise (they were both around 50% for height and weight at 6 months).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Thanks Daisy that'll be awesome.  DD is around 16-17 lbs, I just checked online and perhaps you're right I should try the size 3, or a size 2-3.  I totally didn't even realize that size 2 ends at 18 lbs... wow, these didn't last too long. I just figured because the tape always needed to be overlapping that she wasn't ready for the next size.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

The diaper sizes are really weird.  We were in size 1s for a while and then I think we went through one case of Size 2 (albeit, with 2 babies, half the time as with one baby) before being ready for the Size 3s.  We've been in size 3s forever, but I think we're going to get size 4s next time around (DD and DS are hovering around 20 lbs.).  There's often overlap in the weights from one size to the next, so if size 2 ends at 18 lbs., size 3 might start at 14 or 15 lbs.  Once you hit the overlap, and sometimes a little bit before, it's a good time to think about switching.  Also, after 6 months, the rate that babies grow tapers off, so it will start taking longer before you need to switch sizes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I'm mostly reiterating what others have said, but yes, BF babies do seem to have more blowouts due to the more watery nature of the poops.  I also found that if my son was sitting in the bumbo or exersaucer we were guaranteed a geyser up the back. And yes, once you start solids, the blowouts will lessen in frequency.

Definitely look into moving into the next size.  It seemed like the universal advice at my mother's group was, "If you're having blowouts, it's time to move up in size...even if baby doesn't seem to match the size advertised on the box."  We moved very quickly through sizes 1, 2 and 3.  We've been using size 4 since approximately 6-7 months old (he'll be one next week).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Benice,

My daughter also had the blow outs and just grew out of it...Also a healthy, breast fed baby ;-) No matter what I did to change my diet it would still happen. I think their stools are just loose and like you said, it's the fit of the diaper. Did you try going up a size? I felt like that helped a lot for me when she was approaching the weight limit on Size 1...

Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I have nothing to add except that my exclusively breastfed son also is going through the regular diaper blow-out phase. benice, he sounds similiar to your daughter--in the 87th percentile for height, but only 30th for weight.

I have to say that usually my day's most ridiculous comments come from my middle school students, but pingo's takes the cake today!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In several hospital nurseries where I have worked, some nurses routinely use a peri-pad *, cut in half lengthwise with the very absorbent cut side down,   stuck to the diaper right  above the crack as a "dam"  with babies who have a little hollow where liquid caca leaks.    Whatever works.    

*peri-pad - stick on med maxi pad

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I knew Pingos support for me with my in-law sitatuion was rare......

So DD just had a "blowout" -- not to be gross but since we all deal with this daily -- it was out of the diaper and down her leg.   She's on solids and formula so it wasn't super runny, just everywhere!!!!    I had a ton of cleaning up to do before I even opened the diaper.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the diaper and there was almost nothing there!!!!  It had all come out the leg!   Again, I take it all back to the physics of how these things "blow"!

BTW, benice, I must have missed that you were staying at home!!   YAY, so jealous.  Hope you are enjoying it!!  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

wow happy, that is like a diaper phenomenon!! I'm technically working from home and going into the office 2 days/week but I don't have anyone else that takes care of her. Somedays I'm about to go insane trying to do everything - I'm thinking about getting a "mother's helper" for a couple days per week so I can get some stuff accomplished.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

My son, who is now 3.5, was exclusively breastfed up until he was 5 months and had FREQUENT blowouts for the first couple of months...but with him it was always out the side of his diaper.  As a small infant, the pediatrician said its due to a "loose sphincter" and that little bum just cant control itself. Eventually it all evened out. We never tried a new brand of diapers with him...we always used pampers. They seemed to be absorbant in just the right spot for him up front. Good luck with the blowouts and may they be few and far between!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    I am just amazed on the negativity on my post. I don't think, I told you new mothers what to do. Just what worked for me. Take it or leave it!
    Truly, I did not have many "blow-outs". And I was just wondering, why it has become such a big problem these days.
    For your information, I used cloths diapers for the first month - then switch to the Pampers that were available then. And I breast fed until 11 - 12 months.
    Just read an article (American Institute of Nutrition) that one should not feed babies solid food until they are 6 months old. Could that have something to do with the blow outs? - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---I knew Pingos support for me with my in-law sitatuion was rare...

Happy, and what is that supposed to mean? - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts