hmm, possible diaper blowout solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: hmm, possible diaper blowout solution

I didn't think you came off as holier than thou at all...I just know what happened with my situation, and wanted to caution you about the "forbidden except at Grandma's" scenario.  Mine was certainly in the "worst case" category, but it's amazing the well-intentioned things parents and grandparents can do that completely backfire.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Count us into the all-things-in-moderation camp, too.  I have VERY strong feelings about how kids eat nowadays (I was raised on complete junk and rarely ate a vegetable that didn't come out of a can) but know that if you deprive kids of something, they'll just want it more.  I also think the key is to establish good, healthy eating habits BEFORE they learn what a chicken nugget is, and make it clear that chicken nuggets are something you have as a treat, not as a regular meal and DEFINITELY not because you "won't eat what everyone else is eating."

Obviously, these theories are also easy for me, as the mother of a 3 month old, to proudly declare - we'll see how I actually do when the time comes.  (As a pediatrician once said to me, reality is the ideal minus the practical!)

For what it's worth, I feel the same about television - I've seen babies as young as my son get completely addicted to it (I had friends whose infant son could NOT fall asleep without watching TV and they used it CONSTANTLY as a way to quiet him down when he was fussing) and I don't want that to happen so I'm pretty vigilant about keeping him away from it right now, making sure it's not on as a "default" in our house when we're not actually watching it, etc.  BUT I know he'll watch some TV eventually (because if it were off-limits entirely he'd just want to watch it more AND I'd be a complete hypocrite) so I know I'm going to severely moderate what he watches (ie. I plan to watch more videos than TV, so he won't be bombarded with commercials) and it will be in very limited doses.

At least, that's the plan.  Talk to me when he's 4.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Us, too - moderation, not deprivation!  A child totally deprived goes nuts when they leave the nest for sure.  I knew a girl who ate sugary "kid" cereal exclusively her entire first year of college...well, maybe I saw her with a bowl of Ramen now and then. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Oh, and to add to the TV thing... our neighbours growing up wouldn't let their kids watch ANY tv, and as a result, we would ROUTINELY come home to find them in our house, eyes glazed over, watching tv.  (I grew up in Canada, we never locked our doors. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I made all DD's baby food, cause I can't stand canned beg myself and couldn't imagine feeding it to her.  I am a full time working mom and I was pleasantly surprised at how do-able it was!

DD is 2 now and I have had two really good bits of advice on toddlers and eating:
    1. Toddlers won't go hungry... they'll eat if they are hungry.  For instance if I give DD a couple of nuggets, corn and rice, she'll eat all the nuggets and ask for more, without touching the corn or rice.  If she's hungry, she'll eat the corn and rice (which I know she likes) and if she's not, she'll just sulk about wanting more nuggets
    2. Toddlers only eat 1-2 'big' meals per day... so for us, she usually eats a BIG breakfast, lunch at daycare (where I hear she is generally a big eater) and as a result, she generally doesn't eat a lot of dinner... not great for family time, but I try not to stress about her eating at that time - she doesn't get anything extra to convince her to eat - see #1 above

Hopefully these things will help set a decent foundation as many of you mention

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We too are a moderation family.  Our rule is a bite for every year so, my son who is 5 needs to try 5 bites.  This is only really used to make him eat veggies.  We have trouble with that.

I just saw a commercial for McDonald's saying that their chicken nuggets are the favorite of Olympic athletes...yeah, right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

" just a word of caution about relinquishing the doling out of sweets to others.  If you can teach moderation at home, and not make sweets "forbidden," your kids will be better-prepared to handle the temptations while at their grandparents' house or elsewhere. "   Daisy

I agree.  Even better, the sweet treats or salty snacks they do get can be ones with nutrition.  They are not feeling deprived if you chuck the oreos and devil dogs and pop-tarts, and give them 2 warm home style oatmeal cookies with a spoonful of plain ice cream or frozen yogurt  as filling.  Apple, cherry, or blueberry pie, or easier still, just baked apples, cherries, peaches with a little extra juice concentrate and spices (no added sugar)   are treats to most kids.   

Thinking of moderation  and quality  does serve child health and not create this binge and starve (of treats) psychology, which really is dysfunctional.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

kaydo--the TV thing.  I wasn't allowed to have a TV in my room until I went to college.  We had a TV in the family room and one in the playroom.  If Mom and Dad were watching something in the family room, the kids could watch the 13" TV in the playroom.  We weren't allowed to watch TV until our homework was done and the TV was NEVER on during meals.  My parents never actively set a time limit on TV watching, but after school and any time the sun was out, we really weren't allowed to watch TV.  If it was nice out we were supposed to be outside.

We often have the TV on in the background, but do our best to make sure the kids aren't watching it.  And if we find them starting to fixate on it, we turn it off.  They're usually too busy playing with their toys for it to be an issue.  When they get older, we'll have a "kids' TV" somewhere in the house, but it won't be in their bedrooms, and it probably won't be connected to satellite or cable at least until they're a bit older (or maybe that's when we should disconnect it from satellite/cable!).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

On the TV subject, DH don't have TV/Cable at home at all.  No we're not in some weird cult (LOL), when we moved into our house about 1.5 years ago, we found that it had never been wired for cable (estate sale) and since we had so much work to do on it, we decided not to get cable initially.  After a while, we didn't really miss it.  We still watch certain shows online, so we  have our limited doses.  I definitely was the type to always have it on in the background before, and I find myself to be a lot calmer without it. 

With a baby on the way, we are thinking that we will likely get TV again in the near future.  So I was wondering, moms, when did your babies start watching TV?  And what/how much do they watch?  I've heard no TV before 2?  Then after, what?  1 hour of Sesame Street a day?

TIA!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

We're hoping to use the American Academy of Pediatrics guideline of no TV before age 2, although I strongly suspect DS will encounter it elsewhere (at his cousins houses, etc) before then, and I'm not going to go ballistic about it.

The same aunt who buys chicken nuggets for the daughter who won't eat actual chicken (and whose kids ate every meal as babies in their high chair, in front of the TV) said to me, when we were visiting, "Why don't you put his bouncey chair facing the TV so he can watch it?"  When I said we were trying to keep him away from TV, she rolled her eyes at me and said, "It's good for them, all the sights and colours."  I didn't feel it was worth the argument. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Ugh, I think I need to quit reading this thread.   It's making me feel like a terrible parent.   I don't make my own baby food and DD  does sometimes watch the TV we have on in the living room.     :(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Don't worry happy :)  I will most likely feed my childed jarred baby food, and I will not banish the tv either.  I doubt I will watch as much as I do now because I will be doing things with my child but I am not worried about ruining my potential child.

Every parent is different and what works for you will not work for others.  I just focus on what I want to teach my children rather than what I want to prevent.  I want to teach my child to be respectful, to have manners, be self reliant, explore education (sports, arts and books).  I am the optimistic sort I focus on the good and what I want to accomplish than focus on OMG the sky is falling because I let me kid watch TV. (AND I am not implying that any one posting here is implying that if you let you kid watch tv you are a bad parent). 

As I am hoping for my child to materialize I look back on my childhood with a fresh set of eyes.  And while I didn't watch a lot of TV I did have a lot of books on tape with children's stories and the books that went with them.  While they were not all flashy like TV in a way it was a similar thing.  Just do you best and you will be fine, is what I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Scorpio--well said.  I think the vast majority of parents only want what's best for their children and they do the best they can the best way they know how.  There are very few parents who wake up in the morning thinking "what can I do to psychologically damage my child(ren) today?"  Even though my parents did some things that, by today's standards, would be frowned upon, overall they did a good job and did the best they knew how.  None of our children are going to escape childhood without some story about the crazy things we made them do (or didn't make them do), but we can only do what we think is best and move on from there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree with the last couple of posts and it's really nice to see the kind words and support :)

The reality is, you have a plan, but as your LO grows, and life goes on, you'll adjust accordingly - maybe that means doing something you never thought you would, just so you can get dressed for work on time :) 

I think most of you posting here have a really balanced approach that will serve you, and your little ones well - I'm enjoying this post

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I definitely wake up every morning wondering how I can damage my DD.  Given that she had a giant bowl of "daddy cereal" (aka Frosted Flakes) for breakfast this morning and watched 10 minutes of "The Wiggles", I think I am doing a fabulous job so far. :)  In my defense, I DID slice banana on the cereal.  I have DH to thank for her newfound obssession with Frosted Flakes.  And he wonders why she doesn't want cheerios or oatmeal and fruit anymore.  Husband blunders thread, here I come..... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I think discussing what you want/don't want in theory prior to LO's arrival is important, and just as important is realizing that they're just that -- theories.  Practice/reality varies.  But they're important conversations to have, especially as parents need to be on the same page. 

DH and I tend to be very middle of the road on most things.  We watch TV, but many evenings the TV remains off, especially when it's nice out.  I can tell you, though, that Baby will definitely be watching the Red Sox before the two-year mark.  I see a difference between having the TV on for family viewing v. DVD as babysitter.  I plan on making my own baby food, but I love to cook, so why would I cook for DH and myself, and not LO?  But, again, talk to me in a year.  Could be a completely different story.   :) 

Things I care about: family dinners, reading, fresh air, independence, the ability to spell and mind your manners.  Things I don't really care about: if there's sugar in that, if the cookie you're about to eat has been on the floor (in the last three seconds, of course), if your clothes are dirty, if your sheets are organic, what the other moms think. 

Wish me luck.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Am - I love the "dada cereal".  That is so cute.  We call it Tiger Cereal here.  My son had a taco for breakfast.  I was happy because he had some veggies.  He has survived so far.  He's 5 1/2.  Currently he is home on a snow day and watching Return of the Jedi.  Everything in moderation otherwise Mommy will go out of her mind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Ok, I couldn't help but check in today.    I agree that none of us decides to have a baby one minute and then makes a list of ways we can ruin our children the next!    It is great to chat ahead of time about things but I also agree that, until the moment comes, you really have no way of knowing how you will handle it (whatever "it" is) and what will work best for your family.   I know that happens to me as a teacher all the time.    Sometimes I find myself saying things that I never thought I was say.   None of us is perfect but we do our best!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I love the TV discussion.  DH and I watch certain tv shows together because we enjoy doing that and discussing them.  I like what you said, GC, about "family time TV" vs. "babysitter TV", that's a good distinction.  But I am sure, like all of us, I will be doing occasional "babysitter TV" and just hope it doesn't ruin my child, LOL!!

Scorpio - I am doing what you are in regard to looking back over my own childhood... We haven't announced my pregnancy to my mom or his parents yet, but when we do I will likely be having lots of conversations with my mom about things she did when raising me.  I'm fairly happy with how I turned out, so I want to know what she did.  :)  However, I also know I watched lots of TV... but also read TONS, which was actually my activity of choice.  I do think there can be a healthy balance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OK - I'm finally going to weigh in!
    Happy - don't feel bad about your choices.
    My twins have been formula fed since day 4 - I was unable to breastfeed them so bottles and formula it was immediately.
    We are working on solids now and I bought the book "Super Baby Food" fully intending to make my own, but you know what?  I DON"T HAVE TIME.  So I buy Earth's Best Organic.  Despite Pingo's warning about how horrible jarred food tastes, I think it's delicious - I taste everything before I have them try something new. We use the regular Gerber cereals and I also sometimes buy the Gerber fruits and veggies - my kids like their green beans.
    I try to limit TV (they are only 7 months old) but at the end of the day we sometimes turn it on for a while - maybe some FoodTv or HGTV.  They don't really pay attention to it and I feel like their is another adult voice besides mine until DH gets home.
    I'm never going to be a "clean plate" kind of mom.  And I'm never going to forbid all sweets.  Heck - I'm looking forward to making Christmas cookies someday...or brownies as an after school treat.
    I'd like them to try everything, but I won't make them eat things they don't like.  I absolutely hate nuts to this day and cringe when people cook with them, or put them in salads.  DH abhors spinach (which I love).  You can't make people like everything.  I'm not, however, "running to Wendy's" when there is chicken at home. :)
    We're all just trying to do our best.  As my DH says - we've decided we don't want to try and "over-engineer" our kids.  We want them to just be kids - play games, eat what they like (within reason) and enjoy life. Not planning on flashcards at 10 months old or violin lesson by the age of three. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Lily's post reminded me of something (the "over-engineering" comment).  At Christmastime, when DH and I were trying to decide what Santa was going to bring, we decided that he was only going to bring toys that don't require batteries.  We knew that our parents were planning on a couple of "fancy" battery-powered toys for them and really felt that we didn't want to set the precedent of every toy talking to them or making noises etc.  We--I mean Santa--brought stacking cups, a shape-sorting toy, a doll for DD and a "plush toy" (that looks a lot like a doll--lol) for DS and some teething rings and rattles for them.  DH cannot wait until they're ready for blocks and legos and tinker toys and is so excited about getting them some when the time comes.  I think for now, the no battery-powered toys from Santa or Mom and Dad (with the exception of a few things like a decoy remote control or a toy that plays music when you shake it) is a good rule and we're going to stick with it for the next few years at least.  Their grandparents get a kick out of the "technology" and like to buy that stuff for them, so they are welcome to and the kids definitely will play with them, but I think it's SO IMPORTANT for kids to have the opportunity to learn and be creative and not have the toy dictate how it's played with.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hi Daisy
    We did the same thing at Christmas.  They got soft blocks and a box that you put your hand in and pull out little plush toys and teething rings and stacking cups (which they LOVE).  I will say that they love their Leap Frogs "Leap" who sings the alphabet and "Lily" who sings a number song.  And they also love their Baby Einstein "walkmans" which play classical music.  All of those things were bought by my mom. :)
    My DH is the same about wanting to get Legos and Tinker Toys.  I'm just dying to pull my doll house out of the attic so DD and I can furnish it together when she's older. :)
    And as I said before - I can't wait to make Xmas Cookies for them to decorate (what a mess that will be) and dye Easter Eggs.  All the fun things I used to do with my parents.  Heck - I was happy with the Crayola 64 box (with the sharpener in the back!) and a pad of paper!!

Sections
Shortcuts