Home daycare, notice for closing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Home daycare, notice for closing

To any working parents whose children are in (or have been in) a home daycare - if you arrived to pick up your child at the end of a workday (5pm) and your provider told you she was going to close the next day, because it's her son's 10th birthday, how would you react?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Home daycare, notice for closing

I would be frustrated.  One day's notice is not enough for a non-illness related closing.  She should have in her contracts policies on how/when she announces closings that are for reasons other than her being sick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

That has happened to me on a rare occasions.  I think I was nice about (although fuming on the inside) and asked her to please give me more a weeks notice next time so that I could set up other arrangements.  I understand emergency's happen and I am very understanding about that, but this seems like an "extra" to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Hmm.. yes, I grit my teeth and act like it's fine because that's my personality, but it puts us in an extremely difficult position when that happens. My husband is a mental health professional so it is exceedingly difficult for him to clear a day on zero notice. It is not good for his clients and it takes money out of our pocket. Therefore, things like that fall entirely to me, also not easy on zero notice.

Not cool.

Are you still at that daycare?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'd start looking for another daycare option. On what planet is that acceptable?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I agree with ML.  It would be one thing if it was an emergency.  But you know 364 days in advance when your child's bday is, and aside from that, you shouldn't be using that as an excuse to close. 

Kaydo - what did she say about reimbursement/pay for that day?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

This happened to me all the time.  My home daycare would take random days off with no notice.  One time it was jury duty, another time it was dentist appt, a third it was her anniversary.  In December alone she closed without more than 24 hours notice 5 times...(not including xmas eve and xmas).  We immediatly started looking for a new daycare and switched in feb and have been super happy since.  I would just grit my teeth and say okay and my hubby says that was the problem...i never expressed how much of a big deal it was so she thought she could do it all the time.  looking back i should have said something....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

yeah, and we ALL get about 6 weeks notice for jury duty, so it's not like it was a surprise!  My staff do this often - "oh, this wednesday I just found out I have jury duty."  Ummmm no, you didn't "just find out" but you are so &#$@ unorganized that you just REMEMBERED it 2 days in advance!  

I'd find a new childcare option if this happens one more time. Seriously.  In fact, I'd be looking now so that if you find someone you really like you can either move now or ask to be notified if/when she has a space and you'll take it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The next day?!  I'd be more than frustrated.  The only thing worse would be if you went to drop your child off and, surprise, they were closed.   I'd inform her that as soon as she knew she'd be closed she should have told the parents so they could have that time to make alternate arrangements.  And, if she only knew one day ahead, that's not enough time - a week would be acceptable next time.  No bones about it.  Uncomfortable?  Sure, but only for a minute, then she has the information she needs to not cause this situation in the future.

ETA:  You know I'm not a parent, but I'm pretty sure that's how I'd handle it if I were.  It's how I handle everything else...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I would contact the licensing agency, in this case DEEC. She is obligated to give spell out her closures in advance( exceptions are made in the case of illness). Over and above that, this is rather irresponsible behavior on the part of the provider, who is essentially a small business owner. She is..for sure..showing a definite lack of respect for her client(you). This would make me question her judgment and consider looking elsewhere for child care.
    I mean..this is not even a 24 hour notice. I hope you are not getting charged for this day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I'd ask your provider to give you her closure dates in writing.  My provider has a contract with us that says she gets 15 days off vacation, in addition to a list of holiday closures.  We work hard to make sure we can cover those three weeks (as I get three weeks vaca, so my vaca is often used to cover hers).  Usually in January she provides us with her vacation schedule for the year.  There have been times when she's not sure what week she'll take, and you better believe that us parents ask her about it weekly!  There was a time when I think she used an old calendar to give us dates that she needed to close for appts and she had 8 parents and their kids on her front steps when she got home from the dentist, so that didn't happen again.  I'm with you about being overly nice and accepting of stuff like that, but I think you need to be a bit forward and let her know that you were unprepared for a sudden closure and would she please write down the dates she'll be closed.  And I'd let her know that if dates just come up from time to time without notice, it might not be the center for you.  Hard to do as I think this is a really special relationship you have with her, but you have to do the business thing once in a while.

Sections
Shortcuts