How are all the new moms?? Missing the updates!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: How are all the new moms?? Missing the updates!

evavase- my little guy has done fine at daycare.  I had the same feelings about leaving him there- and the room does go up to crawling kids. However, what makes me feel better is to ask about his day (i do pick up- my DH does drop off) and when they say things like "today he played with this ball" or "we were reading" i feel better that he is doing more than his bouncy seat- and -maybe its obnoxious- but I ask if they don't say anything

luvrlboy- it is amazing how different everyone’s experiences are- my DS was twice her size when he came home. it is such a different experience! I am so happy she is growing well now!

with pumping- I found that my body responded very well to "increasing demands." So i started pumping in the AM (i was often leaking anyway) and then again before I went to bed (to prevent leaking overnight) which gave me a stockpile to go back to work with. I didn't ever nurse in the early evenings because my supply was lower at that point. Now that I am at work, I pump early AM, around lunch time and then again at like 3. my ds does 20 ounces a day at day care (although I send 25 just in case), and then I do another 3 feedings a day (early AM, right after daycare and before bed). I found a website somewhere that said 2 to 3 ounces per pound of body weight per day (my kid is huge- almost 18 pounds at 4 months- and he eats on the lower end of that)

and I can't remember who asked-(IPW was this your question or above?) but I can't scroll back to the previous page without losing this- I have a medela pump, and although I liked some other bras better, I only buy the medela ones... I pump hands free by using the breast pump parts (freestyle). I couldn't bear sitting at work just holding the things. that takes some getting used to (I have found the images of the woman walking around with the pump on her waist are not realistic- i spill all over unless seated), but it works for me. good luck!!

And, although you are supposed to start with basic vegetables for baby food (I think that you go in colors, my pediatrician gave me a thing about- but a quick google search turned up nothing! I can't remember if it is green to gold or vice versa) I bought a crazy recipe book to go with the fancy machine- with plans to use regular ice cube trays for portion sizes.  the kid cues tip was helpful- ds will no longer tolerate his bouncy seat or an excercauser during meals- he wants me to hold him at the table and then tries to take stuff off my plate (not sure if he would mouth it- i steal it back first!) but maybe he is more ready than I am for him to start solids. I love nursing and the idea of replacing it with solids has been sad for me.

all those ladies who stop me in the grocery store keep saying- it goes so fast- I totally believe them

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi All!

Jewels...too funny!  Glad to hear he's not the only "head rocker". haha.  He mustve known something was going to happen today b/c he woke up at 11pm last night and wouldn't go back to sleep until after 1am.  I attempted to unswaddle him to see if that was the issue, but nope, he's def not ready to not be swaddled. 

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and your experiences with daycare.  Dropped him off this morning...so so hard!  I cried before in the parking lot, while we there, and of course after.  He did great though with us leaving.  All smiles for the teacher that was holding him.  My husband went back in to get something and said he was still smiling.  

Then I called at lunchtime.  Not such a great report.  Teacher tried to put it nicely and said he had some fussiness, but that it's ok b/c it's just and adjustment for him.  I take this as "he's been crying all morning". Poor thing!  I'm going to end right here b/c I get to leave now to go get him!!  I'll write more tomorrow about how the rest of his day went!!!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

GC that is so great!  Mitchell isn't a bad sleeper at night but he doesn't go 7 hours.  That is also so great about your childcare.  My mom is going to take Mitchell 2x a week for us when I go back.

Eva I'm glad you got through your day and can go home and be with your little guy. Daycare is an adjustment and he won't remember crying at daycare when he gets older. 

Luvr - so glad things are going so well now. I think you are an inspiration for mothers to hang in there!!

winter that is so funny about DS at dinner wanting to be held and going for your food.  When did you start using your exersaucer?  I agree it does all go by so fast!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I feel for all of you who have gone back/will soon be going back to work.  I'm dreading that moment myself.  But I'm sure we have all chosen our childcare very carefully and the babes will all be very happy!

Zoe does the head rocking/grunting like she's trying to climb a mountain thing too when she wakes up at night all swaddled.  I've often wondered if I should unswaddle her, but then when I do, like Eva, I've found it's worse - limbs everywhere!

oops - munchkin unhappy, must go rescue!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

LLLE we only started a few weeks ago (3 months?)- he is pretty tall and when you put his feet down on stuff he will try to stand up, so we thought we would try it (our jumparoo actually has a smaller body holding part- so there is less he has to support his back, so he had used that more before the exersaucer.) He still likes he exersaucer, but not if we are eating!

a side note about the jumparoo that I wish I had known sooner- he thought it was fine, would go up and down a bit and play with the stuff, but I put him in there one day with the sticky socks (like the little rubber things on the bottoms) and he went nuts- was jumping like 4 or 5 inches in the air. apparently, not so helpful to be in it with slippery socks on hard woods.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Meant to add this onto my last post but had to run - is a special babyfood maker necessary, or can you just use your food processor/blender?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Poppy-I just use a steamer and my food processor and its been fine.  I think the benefit of the babyfood maker is that its one appliance.  My friend's sister has one and said that she finds it less than helpful because the batches are too small.  HTH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If you have a babyfood maker, they are nice- it steams and chops all in one, and (at least the one I have) the parts are dishwasherable. I wouldn't have gotten it for myself, but I recieved it as a shower present, and I did like it. But I think it would have been fine to just use regular kitchen tools as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I've been reading all the updates and neglecting to post lately.

DD is doing great, she'll be 4 months on Christmas Eve (I've lost track of the weeks), weighs 13 lbs. is 23 inches long, great sleeper, loves her bath, loved to bf, takes a bottle with no trouble. I'm bracing myself for a horrible adolescence because she's been such a great baby.

She started rolling over last week, and last night she blew us away. She pulled the blanket over her face and then moved it away with a big smile. She was playing peekaboo with us! I guess my neices were playing peekaboo with her at my mother's house the other day and she learned! It was the first "learned" thing she ever did, made me cry.

I've been back at work 3 weeks now, I'd rather be at home but it really was not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. It helps to have the baby, no work bs bothers me any more. The day is very busy and flies by, and pumping hasn't been a problem, it just takes too long.

I've also taken advantage of the community mom's network of clubs and support groups (which I highly recommend). In fact, you'll never guess who came over to our house yesterday for a little playgroup action? IPW and Nate!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

peekaboo!  that's so sweet.
    I love hearing about these little ones as they grow!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I love all these updates!  DD is now 4.5 months old.  We are a couple weeks into me going back to work and DD going to daycare.  She has done really well with the adjustment other than getting sick.  She pretty much immediately got congested which she hasn’t been able to get rid of still.  She also started p**ping a lot more than normal.  She used to go 2-3 days with no BM and then she would do a really big one.  But ever since me going back to work she has been going 5-10 times a day and some of them are really loose and greenish.  I took her to the pedi and they thought it was either a virus from her being sick or it was her increased intake of formula.  We have been supplementing since she was 1 month old due to a low milk supply on my end, but before I went back to work she was only getting formula at one feeding, and now it is more like 2-3 feedings.  So, the pedi had me switch her to soy formula and see if that solves the problem.  They gave me some samples of the similac pre-made soy formula and DD would only take it sometimes (I don’t blame her, it smelled gross).  I went out and bought some Enfamil soy powder formula and that seems to smell better and she took some of it ok last night.  Also, no p**ps since yesterday afternoon.  So, hopefully she will be willing to drink the Enfamil ok and it will help.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?  I just think it is so weird that she could tolerate the regular formula in low doses for months and now all of a sudden she needs the soy.  But, her p**ps were definitely more explosive and green right after she got the regular formula, so maybe the pedi is right.  Also, has anyone used soy formula for an extended period of time?  I don’t know if this is a temporary thing or if we will need to keep her on it for a long time.  She also has been stuck at like 12.5 pounds for a few weeks now and I am sensitive about her weight gain because we had issues in the beginning.

Keep coming with the updates!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Memes - Were you giving her anything for the cold/virus? I rushed DD to the pediatrician for the first time a couple of weeks ago thinking she had contracted my husband's strept throat. Her symptoms were a lack of interest in food (which is very unusual) and loose, green stools and a gurgly stomach.

It turned out the problem was the antibiotics *I* was on (she's BF) - so I'm wondering if one or both of you were taking something for the virus?

The only other thing I am thinking is that somehow day care is doing the feedings differently and that's causing the explosions.

That can't make getting back to work any easier or more comforting (except that you aren't changing those 5-10 diapers per day).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Memes - I wish I had some advice but unfortunately I don't.  I agree with you though why would it be fine to drink regular formula in small doses but then not more often?  That just sounds weird to me.  Are people who are lactose intolerant able to drink or eat small quantities without getting sick?  I guess if so then it would make sense. I just hope it turns out okay!! 

So DH was sick with a cold that he so kindly passed on to me.  Thankfully DS seems fine!  I am using purell like crazy so I don't infect him but we all live in the same house, there is only so much I can do!!  I would hate for him to get the cold just in time for his first Christmas!

On a better note, he rolled over for the first time last Friday!  It was so cool.  He went from his back to his front and he had this huge smile on his face after.   Of course he has been trying again since without a lot of luck but for some reason he is trying to go other way (he rolled to the right on Friday and has been trying to roll to the left since).  I put him on his belly this morning to put on some lotion (he has some mild exzema) and he rolled onto his back like it was nothing! So cute and so funny. 

Happy Holidays everyone!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

ml - no, neither of us have taken any medicines.  Thanks for the idea though.  The symptoms you describe are very similar other than the lack of interest in food....she definitely has loose, green stools and the gurgling stomach.  She is still acting happy, so that has been comforting!

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts so far.  Let me know if anyone else has any thoughts!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

OMG, just had our 2 month immunizations.  Zoe screamed for about 4 hours tonight and refused to eat for about 6.  She finally ate then passed out from exhaustion at 11pm.  I think the drink they gave her (it's for some sort of stomach bug that infants get) upset her belly quite a bit, which we weren't prepared for (I was all ready for the fever, which there's no sign of as of yet).  Yikes!  Anyone else go through this?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

In Response to Re: How are all the new moms?? Missing the updates!:
    [QUOTE]I love all these updates!   DD is now 4.5 months old.   We are a couple weeks into me going back to work and DD going to daycare.   She has done really well with the adjustment other than getting sick.   She pretty much immediately got congested which she hasn’t been able to get rid of still.   She also started p**ping a lot more than normal.   She used to go 2-3 days with no BM and then she would do a really big one.   But ever since me going back to work she has been going 5-10 times a day and some of them are really loose and greenish.   I took her to the pedi and they thought it was either a virus from her being sick or it was her increased intake of formula.   We have been supplementing since she was 1 month old due to a low milk supply on my end, but before I went back to work she was only getting formula at one feeding, and now it is more like 2-3 feedings.   So, the pedi had me switch her to soy formula and see if that solves the problem.   They gave me some samples of the similac pre-made soy formula and DD would only take it sometimes (I don’t blame her, it smelled gross).   I went out and bought some Enfamil soy powder formula and that seems to smell better and she took some of it ok last night.   Also, no p**ps since yesterday afternoon.   So, hopefully she will be willing to drink the Enfamil ok and it will help. Sorry for being long-winded, but I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?   I just think it is so weird that she could tolerate the regular formula in low doses for months and now all of a sudden she needs the soy.   But, her p**ps were definitely more explosive and green right after she got the regular formula, so maybe the pedi is right.   Also, has anyone used soy formula for an extended period of time?   I don’t know if this is a temporary thing or if we will need to keep her on it for a long time.   She also has been stuck at like 12.5 pounds for a few weeks now and I am sensitive about her weight gain because we had issues in the beginning. Keep coming with the updates!
    Posted by memes98[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to my son, right around 3 months old, one month into being at day care, he started pooping up to eight times a day and eating less. Doctor couldn't see anything wrong with him, thought maybe it was a virus. Ten days later it was still happening, I brought him back to the doctor and he had gained 9 oz in those 10 days, so they pronounced him fine.  His day care provider said the same thing happened to her son around the same age, and she sees it a lot in young babies, they suddenly start pooping a lot, then it stops after a few weeks. We never switched formula (he's on Enfamil premium) and it did stop on its own eventually.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

Memes - Lactose intolerance is definitely a quantity thing. As an adult, it's about how much dairy there is at a time (and how sensitive to it the person is,) so I'm not sure how that would play out for infant feedings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Poppy I remember DS's 2 month.  He did that hold your breath whaling cry after the shots.  The drink didn't seem to bother him but the nurse told me babies are either fine with it or they are not.  He slept for like 3 hours after our appt. and then cried for like an hour before I could give him more medicine.  I felt bad because his legs seemed sore from the shot (whenever I touched him he seemed to cry more) but I couldn't hold him without touching his legs.  I felt so bad.  He slept another 3 hours after that and then was fine. That 2 month appt. is a tough one!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks BsBride and Soxgirl!  BsBride….good to know this happened to someone else as well.  DD is doing better.  We are now down to about 2-3 p**ps a day, instead of the 7-8 she was doing before.  It is still more than she had done previously, but a big improvement.  I also have stepped on the scale with her a couple times and she does seem to be gaining.  I still have her on the soy formula, but my gut feeling is that it is not the formula.  If she continues to improve, I may try switching her back to the regular formula slowly and see if it has any effect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Poppy, the three-month s*cked, and we had split up her shots so I had to bring her TWICE.  Did you give her any Tylenol?  The nurse said I could give her .5ml every four hours.  The first time she seemed fine ... until she wasn't and by the time I gave her the Tylenol she was a MESS.  I actually called the nurse triage b/c I was convinced something was wrong (it was more than the "out of sorts" that they'd told me to expect).  The second time I was a bit smarter and dosed her just as we left the doctor's office.  She still screamed, but not nearly as severely or as long as the last time. 

DH is taking her to the four-month.  I haven't decided if I'm going to go, too, but I'm not flying solo again. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We did give her some Tylenol, but I didn't do it right away (mistake) since pedi said to wait until there were signs of distress... of course, by the time we had those there was no way she was going to accept some foreign liquid down her throat.  I'm glad your DD was better the second time - I'll take the tip and give her some Tylenol right away after the 4 month ones.

I have another post about this, but just to throw it out there - any of you who are breastfeeding and have already returned to work or will be returning soon: are you having any luck with a bottle?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

re: shots - I underestimated how sore her legs would be.  She was fine for a while after the two month shots and when I picked her up after a nap she started SCREAMING and wouldn't stop.  It took me a long time to figure out it was the legs.  For the four month shots, we practiced holds that didn't put any pressure on the thighs, and it was amazing the difference.  My husband accidentally picked her up normally and she screamed so much, but it stopped as soon as we adjusted her position.  So maybe try watching out for the legs.

re: bottles for bfeeding babies - we had troubles, but at 4.5 months, it is as if the troubles never happened.  The most important factor for our little one was to have the milk really, really warm.  The bottles seemed to matter, too, and the Tommee Tippee are her preferred ones.  But the temperature was even more important.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

We just had 4 month shots yesterday.  Poor DS has been to the Dr/ER a total of 5 times the past 2 weeks due to a nasty virus, so I think he was already prepared for a bad experience.  The second the nurse came into the room, he went from being happy and smiling to doing the lower quivering lip thing.  So cute and heartbreaking at the same time!

He actually did better w/ these shots than the 2 month ones (at 2 months he screamed for 2 min straight, then fell asleep like he'd been KOed for the next 3 hours--it was kinda scary/weird).  He has slept a LOT today, which perhaps is from the trauma of the shots...anyone else experience this? As far as soreness, I gave tylenol after both and he hasn't had any sensitivity in his thighs.

Poppy...I was really nervous about him taking bottle when I returned to work.  He ended up doing really well at daycare with them, but still won't drink a bottle at home.  I use both the Tommee Tippee and Avent bottles, and daycare says he does good with both.  

I am actually wondering when I should experiment with a wider nip---??  How does one know when baby needs an easier flow??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

shots - I experienced the same thing Eva DS slept for like 3 hours after.  I gave him the tylenol in the drs office per recommendation of my pedi.  What kind of hold were you able to use Medford becausee that was the same experience I had with DS and would like to avoid it when we go to our 4 month. Are the 4 month shots similar to the 2 month ones?  We are going in the next couple of weeks.  When do the shots end...is every appt. going to be shots?  I feel so bad!

Poppy I read your other post.  We haven't had any difficulty with giving DS a bottle but people did tell me to find the right bottle for DS when we were going to start giving him a bottle.  Fortunately he liked what we had which is avent and madela. 

Good question about when to change the nip--- size Eva...how do you know?  I'm sure your DS will some how communicate it...maybe crying when drinking from the bottle that goes away when you switch to a bigger one??

P**ping - so DS is a 10 day p**per which I was told by my pedi and LC that it is normal for BFd babies to go long periods of time without p**ping.  Anyone else have this experience?  Its like the opposite of memes.  And let me tell you when he does go its quite the p**p to clean up!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Speaking of shots, I'm starting to read up on the alternative vaccination schedule, and don't really want to get into a debate about it with anyone - but for those of you who did choose the alternative schedule, how did you approach it with your pedi?

Should call them in advance and tell them we are switching to the alternative schedule and get the info on what shots she was scheduled to get? Or, do I just say we're doing an alternative schedule when I show up at the four month appointment?

Do pedi's know exactly what we mean when we say "the alternative schedule."

Several people have recommended Healing the New Childhood Epidemics, but I'm almost afraid to read it. I need to do my research.

Sections
Shortcuts