How do I use gDiapers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

How do I use gDiapers?

OK Folks.  I've been struggling with gDiapers for ages and have been using them on and off for the past two months.  DS is now 11 months old and in the medium size.  I constantly have problems with stuff sneaking out the sides and then the moisture gets wicked up the cloth parts of the diaper.  Any suggestions, tips, tricks, whatever.  I really can't stand conventional diapers.

I've watched the gDiapers youtube videos and try to follow closely.  I'd say our success rate is around 60%.  I know they need to be changed more often but they are EXPENSIVE and I don't want to go nuts after every little squirt.

We cosleep at night so staying dry at night is really important!  I don't like waking up with a wet baby and a wet me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: How do I use gDiapers?

Sarah--I don't know how big your son is/what his overall shape is like, but  my son and daughter are both pretty consistently in the 50th percentile for height and weight and outgrew the medium gDiapers towards the end of their 8th month--way before the upper weight limit of the mediums.  So, my first suggestion is that it may be time to invest in the large size.  My second suggestion, if you can tolerate it, use disposables at night.  We started doing this early on, b/c they'd just be SOAKED in the morning (this was with the smalls), and that was also when #2 almost always accompanied #1, and the disposables were just more absorbent overnight.

Our experience with the gDiapers was good, but we did find that the "little g" would end up damp if we weren't vigilant--not wet, but damp.  Ultimately, we just couldn't invest in the large ones, so we are using disposables 100% of the time now.

Anyway...good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I can't comment on the gDiapers, but have you considered other cloth options.  The Flip diaper is very similar to gDiapers, but in addition to the disposable inserts they also offer washable liners.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=139

I do a combo of cloth and disposable diapers (cloth on the weekend and disposable during the week for daycare).  I've got a small stash of assorted cloth diapers that I really like and washing has turned out to be very easy.  We use: econobums, BumGenius, Swaddlebees and some generic prefold diapers and covers.

I think Daisy is right that size may be an issue.  I know that what you describe is what happens with disposables when they begin to outgrow them.  I just wanted to suggest some alternatives in case you do need to make another investment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I would love to do cloth but we have oil heat/hot water and are on a septic and we just can't afford the constant hot water washing with a somewhat old-fashioned washing machine.  But thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Sarah--I had heard a while back that flushing the gDiapers is a problem if you have a septic system.  Is that not true?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I don't flush the gDiaper liners.  But as the decompose pretty fast, even in landfills, the are generally more eco friendly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Oh yeah, I guess you don't HAVE TO flush them :P

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbruce. Show luvbruce's posts

i use cloth diapers and tried g diapers just for daycare purposes.  didn't like them at all.  ok in a pinch, but definitely not dependable, esp. for #2.  you might want to look into flip diapers they are similar to g's, but i think much better fit and absorbency.  i also have oil heat/hot water and septic and haven't had a problem cloth diapering two children going on 3 years now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Another alternative is a combination  washable insert, and disposed of G diaper.

Buy a couple of inexpensive 12 packs of 100 cotton white washcloths - utility type, around $7 for a dozen at Target, Walmart.

After washing once in hot water, drying in hot dryer so they are pre-shrunk,  fold a washcloth in thirds, like a long maxi-pad.  Cut a couple of strips of 100% cotton denim blue Jeans, or old towel,  fold them inside the washcloth and sew all around the edges.  Nothing fancy.

You end up with a very absorbent,  washable and bleach-able, high absorbency pad you can put in the diaper.  No synthetics - not absorbent, and they break down in bleaching agents.

If BM blowouts are the issue, you may want to fold the washcloths in half, extra width, with a few full width denim or terry cloth pieces inside.  Use a disposable liner, the ones like the super thin papers used for picking up baked goods.  Flushing these with major BM is like 1 Kleenex, not bad on septic, and rinsing/washing the insert will be easier..

And the total laundering  of all these inserts would be like washing 2 bath towels in a week,  not loads and loads of diapers.

A compromise.   Co-sleeping with a drippy baby can not be pleasant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Sarah - regarding cloth diapers & your washing machine... you may already know this, but there is a diaper service in Massachusetts who can wash them for you.  Changing Habits will come to your house once a week, bring you clean diapers, and wash your dirties (and they're all YOUR diapers; you don't get other people's).  I checked and they do serve Acton.

http://www.changinghabits.com

We have friends who use(d) them and love them.

We tried cloth diapers for a few weeks (washing them ourselves, though) and unfortunately, it just didn't work.  DS is a very heavy wetter and leaked through just about every brand we tried, no matter how often we changed him.  I've wanted to try gDiapers since before I even had him, but it's so expensive (to get going, and maintain) and I feel like if he leaked through the cloth that badly, he'd probably do the same with gDiapers.  Also, since he started prescription formula, his BMs are a complete runny, blowout nightmare, so I'm even less inclined to try them now.  But maybe someday...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Oh, and I mentioned this place before but The Diaper Lab in Somerville is great, and will let you try a whole raft of cloth diapers (to find ones that work for you) for only $35.

http://www.diaperlab.com

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey Kaydo, I had never explored cloth too much as we have a very old house and I didn't think our hot water heater could keep up with the demand.  And then I fell in love with my papmers swaddlers (a gift from the hospital I fell for hook line and sinker!) and a great affair ensued.  And my desire to be green was hijacked by the all-mighty swaddler.

I LOVE the two websites you suggested so I'm going to check it out.  I had found some other good cloth diapering sites but these two are awesome.

For now, I'm going to get a large set of the gDiapers from Whole Foods and see if I can manage that.  I might be able to convince our day care lady to try them.