How long does it take your child to nurse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

How long does it take your child to nurse?

hi all... i'm curious... how long does it take your child to breast feed? suddenly my 2 1/2 month old is going for about 5 mins each breast only... but swallowing the whole time. i'm wondering if it is possible that he's really draining each breast so quickly. he's always been a very pokey eater... drinking slowly and taking forever at each breast so i'm not sure what to think... well, at least until this recent shift.... i should mention the only change, other then that he's getting older and more bf savy, has been that we no longer need to use breast shields... he can latch onto the breast well now. curious about your experiences...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: How long does it take your child to nurse?

My daughter did 20 minutes per side, but I've heard of some babies who prefer to snack. You might want to ask on the forums at Kellymom -- the mods there are LCs and will give you great feedback and advice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I would agree with Lemonmelon to contact a LC if you are not sure. But the doula I had worked with post-partum said she has seen babies drain a breast in 5 minutes. DS did go through periods where it seemed like he was working away for just a few minutes, then burp and want to play. As long as the baby is still hydrated and not showing signs of hunger, it may be that he is able to be satisified in shorter time now. I am not familiar with how breast shields would affect the act of nursing for the baby vs without one.

Every baby and every breastfeeding mother will be different - and the nursing pattern and relationship does change over time, I am finding out.

I do know I have a fast flow and slow flow breast (and DS knows it too, sometimes when he is really hungry/thirsty, he insists on going on my right side which is a lot faster, and he gets what he wants in minutes otherwise he does not mind which side I pick for him - just that he will take a longer time on the left side).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I think your baby is telling you what he needs. Sounds like he is getting much more efficient! If he doesn't seem hungry after and isn't getting hungry any sooner then I think it is fine that he is eating quickly! 

Your DS has a thing or two to teach mine! I have always let him nurse 10-15 min per side and have to unlatch him, otherwise he will go FOREVER. The only time he stops eating himself is first thing in the morning and I have a lot of milk.  I'm not sure that I am feeding him correctly, but it's what I have always done. He doesn't get mad when I unlatch, so I figure he's not still hungry that he just likes to suck! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

If you recently weaned off the nipple shields that might be why you've noticed a difference.  I believe they reduce efficiency/speed of milk expressing.  I bet he's just getting more with each mouthful than he used to. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

In Response to Re: How long does it take your child to nurse?:
    I would agree with Lemonmelon to contact a LC if you are not sure. But the doula I had worked with post-partum said she has seen babies drain a breast in 5 minutes. DS did go through periods where it seemed like he was working away for just a few minutes, then burp and want to play. As long as the baby is still hydrated and not showing signs of hunger, it may be that he is able to be satisified in shorter time now. I am not familiar with how breast shields would affect the act of nursing for the baby vs without one. Every baby and every breastfeeding mother will be different - and the nursing pattern and relationship does change over time, I am finding out. I do know I have a fast flow and slow flow breast (and DS knows it too, sometimes when he is really hungry/thirsty, he insists on going on my right side which is a lot faster, and he gets what he wants in minutes otherwise he does not mind which side I pick for him - just that he will take a longer time on the left side).
    Posted by cwagner13

how did you determine the fast flow/slow flow issue with your breasts???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

I think your baby is telling you what he needs. Sounds like he is getting much more efficient! If he doesn't seem hungry after and isn't getting hungry any sooner then I think it is fine that he is eating quickly!  Your DS has a thing or two to teach mine! I have always let him nurse 10-15 min per side and have to unlatch him, otherwise he will go FOREVER. The only time he stops eating himself is first thing in the morning and I have a lot of milk.  I'm not sure that I am feeding him correctly, but it's what I have always done. He doesn't get mad when I unlatch, so I figure he's not still hungry that he just likes to suck! 
    Posted by ajuly09

your baby may be pacifying himself on you after he finishes eating... mine used to do that all the time... he'd be on forever if i let him.. i could always tell because the sucking was different... really shallow and gentle but fast... he still does it whenever he eats and is tired... i really don't mind that he does it... he enjoys it and it is very endearing to see what comfort it brings him. i just try to keep it to a reasonable amount of time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

My daughter did 20 minutes per side, but I've heard of some babies who prefer to snack. You might want to ask on the forums at Kellymom -- the mods there are LCs and will give you great feedback and advice.
    Posted by lemonmelon

oooh... lc's? thanks for the info... i have never been on that website... but i will be now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: How long does it take your child to nurse? : oooh... lc's? thanks for the info... i have never been on that website... but i will be now!
    Posted by ladeeda2

They're VERY knowledgable and helpful when it comes to breastfeeding. But batsh*t crazy on every other topic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

fast flow/slow flow - since I pump at work, I can see it when I pump. I get to 1 oz twice as fast on right side than left (usually I get a little more milk on right side too) - even the times when I end up with more milk in the bottle from the left side, the right one would have filled faster - and then the flow would just stop while the left side continues to flow.

Also his behaviour reflects what I see with my pumping because when he is really hungry (like after a long nap or after he has been working hard with his crawling), he fusses until he can latch on to my right side where usually he can get more milk faster - he usually makes it very clear he wants the right side.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ladeeda - I think if your baby seems satisfied and isn't suddenly hungry more frequently, it is fine that he's eating for fewer minutes.  It was quite an adjustment for me when DD went from eating for 15 minutes per side to under 10 per side, but at some point you have to trust that they know when they're full.

Ajuly - DS sounds just like my DD!!  We had some problems with BFing in the beginning, so had to use the n!pple shield and make sure baby fed for at least 15-20 minutes per side because the shield makes it take longer.  At Baby Cafe, they seemed kind of horrified that I would time it, but a) it was working fine so I didn't see any reason to change it and b) she would stay on for 25 minutes per side if I didn't pull her off after 15.

She is 7 months now and about a month ago she started feeding for 10 minutes or less per side, after we started introducing cereal more than once a day (and then other solids.)

Also, I'm with cwagner - My left side produces less when I pump and DD favors the right side at times.  If I start feeding on the left side, sometimes she'll eat for like 3 minutes, but then do the full 10 or more on the right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

fast flow/slow flow - since I pump at work, I can see it when I pump. I get to 1 oz twice as fast on right side than left (usually I get a little more milk on right side too) - even the times when I end up with more milk in the bottle from the left side, the right one would have filled faster - and then the flow would just stop while the left side continues to flow. Also his behaviour reflects what I see with my pumping because when he is really hungry (like after a long nap or after he has been working hard with his crawling), he fusses until he can latch on to my right side where usually he can get more milk faster - he usually makes it very clear he wants the right side.  
    Posted by cwagner13

so interesting... i do some pumping too so i'll have to pay more attention to how the flow appears... come to think of it, my son does seem to sometimes eat for just a few mins on the first side i give him and then surprising longer on the second... maybe he's doing the same thing... thanks for writing back... so helpful...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

Ladeeda - I think if your baby seems satisfied and isn't suddenly hungry more frequently, it is fine that he's eating for fewer minutes.  It was quite an adjustment for me when DD went from eating for 15 minutes per side to under 10 per side, but at some point you have to trust that they know when they're full. Ajuly - DS sounds just like my DD!!  We had some problems with BFing in the beginning, so had to use the n!pple shield and make sure baby fed for at least 15-20 minutes per side because the shield makes it take longer.  At Baby Cafe, they seemed kind of horrified that I would time it, but a) it was working fine so I didn't see any reason to change it and b) she would stay on for 25 minutes per side if I didn't pull her off after 15. She is 7 months now and about a month ago she started feeding for 10 minutes or less per side, after we started introducing cereal more than once a day (and then other solids.) Also, I'm with cwagner - My left side produces less when I pump and DD favors the right side at times.  If I start feeding on the left side, sometimes she'll eat for like 3 minutes, but then do the full 10 or more on the right.
    Posted by framerican51008

so interesting... i'm gonna need to focus more attention on what i'm pumping from each breast and how fast as well as whether my son has a breast preference... thanks for the info...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

sounds fine to me. Both my DD and now my DS nurse in under 5 minutes.. and only on one side.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Ladeeda, our babies are about the same age (mine is 13 weeks today....3 months this weekend!) and around that same time, my DS started to nurse much more quickly.  A friend and experienced b-feeder told me that around that time her babies started to nurse more efficiently, too... so I assumed that that was what was going on.  He just gulps it down, and then pacifies himself for a while afterward unless I nudge him.  I'd say he's done with an entire feeding (both sides, including burping in between) in about 20 minutes.  That said, he's still eating every 2 hours... is that normal for a 3-month old??? I thought by now he'd have stretched it out to  at least 3 hours... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - I think by the time DD was 13 weeks, she was feeding every 3 or even 4 hours depending on how long her naps were.  That was around the time I went back to work and she was/is feeding 5 times a day.  However, I think my friend's baby was still feeding more often for a while past 13 weeks, so there seems to be a lot of variation!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

My DS is 5 mon and still eats every 2 hrs. (going more towards 3 now) Is it "normal" probably not, but he STTN so I figure he's filling up during the day.  For our babysitter he goes much longer 3-3 1/2 hrs.  I wonder if he smells me or something and just wants to eat more often. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks Fram & Ajuly...DS is also sleeping through the night (or gets up only once in between two five-hour stretches) so I wonder if he just likes snacking throughout the day.

Sections
Shortcuts