How much do you pay for childcare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

How much do you pay for childcare?

I'm getting a little freaked about childcare costs after reading a few of the discussions on this board.  If people wouldn't mind, I'd love to know what you pay for childcare, town your care is in, age of your child, thoughts on the facility, etc.  I'm just starting to look into this for my LO who will begin care at 12 weeks (I'm expecting). 

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhmahoney. Show mhmahoney's posts

Re: How much do you pay for childcare?

I'm in Boston with a Bright Horizons. You pay a premium for Boston vs. suburbs; and BH is notoriously expensive, but high quality care. For Infants and Toddlers (where teacher-kid ration is high), $2K+ per month.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

I'm in Stoneham Kindercare (and LOVE it) and infants are about $400 a week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I already posted in another thread, but I like the idea of having it all in one place for people to see if they do a search.

I'm at a Bright Horizons in the North Shore suburbs and pay $1800 per month for an infant, 4 days per week, 9+ hr day.  I pay a premium to be at a big name brand center, but I like it because I don't have to worry about a home provider taking sick days or vacation and dealing with the costs of backup child care.  BH does not close except for major holidays.  I've been told that they don't close for snowstorms unless it is a major blizzard (the director told me that they have not closed due to snow for the past 3 years).

I also prefer the structure and "rules" of a larger center (i.e. full documentation of food, diaper changes, naps, plus a weekly journal updated by the center and by parents).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Abington for $800 (4 days a week)  In home daycare - 6 kids - I lucked out finding a place that I really liked and it happened to be very reasonably priced.  The going rate for most in home daycares is between $40 -$70 a day. 

ETA - Seems like most people on here (that I have read) go to centers so I will give my persepctive on in home.  I did not do any research on daycare centers so they may do all of the below as well:

I really like the small group aspect and the fact that DD would be interacting all day long with children of all different ages. 

I  love the fact that they will work with my schedule and not create their own.  I worked very hard during my maternity leave to get DD on a good schedule. 

They go for nice walks everyday that the weather allows, they have walked to a local park to see a llama (on days where there are only a couple of kids). 

As far as the daycare closing, yes that can be an issue.  Our daycare closes for all school holidays - Such as Martin Luther King day, Presidents Day, etc - DH and I do not get those days off work but we are very lucky that I have familly that love to take her those days.  Daycare also gets 2 weeks vacation - One week is the same every year  so we just plan to try and take our vacation at the same time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I also use an in-home provider, and pay $475 every 2 weeks for an infant 5 days a week. The provider I use has a full time assistant plus a back-up, so I get what I feel is the best of both worlds, a small (10 kids) group of varying ages, with coverage year-round. We do have to find alternative care if the city schools are closed for weather, and the center is closed for holidays (but so far, they are all the holidays I get from work anyways.)
    I am a big fan of the relationship I am building with my provider, I would be afraid at a center I wouldn't get the continuity of care, with staff turnover, and multiple teachers, but that might be ignorance of how centers work, on my part.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Amy-Lynn, where is your daycare located?  I am jealous of how little you pay....$475 every 2 weeks??? WOW.  We pay $1700 per month for 5 days a week 9.5 hours a day for our toddler at an independent center in Westwood.  It was one of the most expensive centers we looked at (though all of them were within $200 of each other - both close to home and close to work), but we like it because we get the structure of a center with the more "homey" feeling of an in-home.   It has been perfect for us and DD loves it.  They have a wonderful outdoor space, with all sorts of play structures and wagons and push toys and trikes for the kids to use and they have programs such as my gym come in throughout the year to do movement games and activities with the kids. Of course, I have no idea how we'd ever pay for two kids in this place, but I guess we'll cross that bridge if we decide to come to it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'm in Quincy. And as I said, it's home care, which is less expensive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

DS will be going to an in-home daycare in Malden starting next month (when he's 11 weeks old), and we'll be paying $65/day (the rate for non-infants is $55/day).  He'll be going 2 days a week (I'm going to be working from home 2 days a week, and DH is going to be home one day a week), so that'll be $520/month.  I don't know how anyone affords $1800/month, unless you make a REALLY good living or you DON'T own a home.  DH and I both make a good living, but with a $2000+ mortgage payment every month, there's just no way we'd be able to afford anything like $1800 for daycare on top of that.

For what it's worth, though, we looked into both centers and home care and were very torn between the two, but the home care we found is actually run more like a center than any of the other home care places we visited so we feel like we found the best of both worlds - it's in a 2 family house and the woman who runs it has the entire first floor apartment set up as the daycare, and lives upstairs with her husband & 2 kids.  She is bright and articulate, the place is immaculately clean and organized, she has her own vegetable garden out back where she grows the food she feeds the kids, etc.  We really feel like we hit the jackpot with such a well-run, organized home care place but with the benefit of there being no more than 6 children there at a time (less risk of germs, etc).  Yes, we'll have to plan our vacations around her's and deal on the fly if she needs to take a sick day but our jobs are flexible enough that those weren't deal-breakers for us.  Plus, we liked her place better than the far-more-expensive centers we visited, anyway.  It just FELT good.  (When we left after our first visit, I actually started crying because I was so happy to have found such a great place.)

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

kaydo - congrats indeed on finding such a great place - it does sound awesome!

To OP I paid ~1500/mth for infant, 5 days, 7 am to 6:30 (though she's only there 9-5), about 150 less now that she is in toddlers.  It is on 495, near Rt 3.

It's a small center, privately owned, but they have 3 locations.  I like the reliability and also the fact that the kids are never alone with a single person - all the classrooms have windows into the hallway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I wanted to add... two of my biggest concerns about home care were that I didn't want DS to spend his days watching TV, and, when the kids are out of bottles, many home care places provide meals (whereas you usually send your own toddler food if your child goes to a daycare center) and I think too often the meals at home care places consist of things I don't want my son eating on a regular basis (chicken nuggets, pizza, hot dogs, etc).  So one of the other reasons we're thrilled with the place we found is that there is NO tv on the premises and the food is the kind of food we want our son eating (real vegetables, whole grains, etc).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think home care can vary a lot, and you have to visit to find out what the situation is. At the daycare I use, there is no TV in the areas of the house the children use. Also, the meals provided (breakfast and lunch) are not all fast food. They do occaisonally serve chicken nuggets, but they also serve things like pancakes, tofu skin, rice and vegetables (the provider is Chinese). She also has a garden and served vegetables from her garden to the kids. She even gave us extra tomatoes and squash, when we commented that we had no fresh tomatoes this year due to the blight killing our plants. Our DD has had the chance to eat vegetables (eggplant in particular) that neither my husband nor I like, which I am glad for. So I think that while it is possible that some home care providers might have the TV as an "assistant" not all of them will, so doing your homework when it comes to finding the right situation is very important.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I pay $300/week for four days from 8-4 pm which turns out to be $9/hour.  She will only take two infants and three 1-5 year olds at a time and even with that my DS who is 8 months and one other child who is two are full time and the rest are part time.  Our provider is an in-home lady (fully licenced) and runs a maticulous and wonderful program.  Alas, she will be retiring next year.  This is in Acton so it is a wonderfully priced option for what is generally a more expensive area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Yikes!  These numbers are staggering.  MA has got to be one of the most expensive states for daycare. 

For those of you in home daycares, how did you go about finding them?

pem09, I'm looking in Natick.  What is the name of the daycare you use? 

Thanks all and keep the recommendations and posts coming!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

trouble - I can't remember the numbers we've been given, but it's probably similar to what you are seeing. Keep in mind that it is most expensive for infants since the ratio of children to provider is so much lower than toddlers or pre-school. Also factor in what they include in their cost. We've seen some where they don't include anything but snacks, some include meals (including formula and rice cereal for infants) and one included diapers.
    We are leaning towards the day care center option over the home day care since we need longer hours and they are open many more days than the one home day care we saw. The home day care we saw was closed for more holidays and when she takes off for vacation days, there is no backup since she's by herself and the closest family we have is almost an hour away so I'd probably have to take off a lot of days at work. For the home day care option, if she's got tiny infants napping, she might not get to take the older kids outside for the day and the prices do not go down as they get older. 
    Just some things to think about... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Trouble 30, I read somewhere recently (probably in the Metro, so take it with a grain of salt) that MA had the most expensive daycare in the country.  They quoted an actual percentage of a family's income that gets spent on daycare here.  I can't remember what it was, but it was completely ridiculous.  I don't believe the accuracy of a lot of what's printed in that paper, but that I believed.  Close to the top in housing costs, the most expensive daycare....sigh, why do we live here again?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

A link to search licensed providers in Massachusetts:

http://www.eec.state.ma.us/ChildCareSearch/EarlyEduMap.aspx

fyi... I worked in a family daycare for many years.  Wonderful "family" environment where children can be comfortable and feel at home.  It was great to see kids of different ages learning to be together.  There is definitely a bond that develops between the child and the provider, and to have continuity in that is a must, IMO.  Also, many home-providers have close relationships with other nearby home providers (groups meet at the park, etc) and therefore back-up care can be provided in a pinch by their friends.  We had another woman down the street that would be back up to us during one-week vaca in the summer and the very rare sickday.  The comment about the food not always being healthy can be true... but totally dependent on the provider.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

>>For those of you in home daycares, how did you go about finding them?<<

I used the state listing of licensed providers that Bostongrl mentioned, but I also used Craig's List (and cross-referenced anyone I found) because people's own postings often provided more in the way of photos, descriptions, etc (the state listing is just the basics).  CL is where I actually found the daycare DS will be going to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think one reason MA has such high daycare costs is that there are strict licensing requirements on both centers, and home care providers, that many states don't have. The limits on number of kids per provider, especially, drive up costs.
    As far as finding home care providers, the MA dept of Early childhood education has lists sortable by zipcode. The website has been posted many times before, and there is a link on The Boston Moms front page that takes you there, as well.
    Also, I should note that I had the wrong amount for infant care in my previous post. We pay $540 every 2 weeks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Our center (at my higher ed employer) is $1000/month for full-time infant care, which is available 9 hrs/day.  Employees who do not work 12 mos/yr pay slightly higher rates to essentially place hold over the summer.  Part time options are available with again, varied rates. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I am curious what everyone's posted rates include (meals, snacks, diapers, etc)? 
    I should note that our rate does not include any of those extras. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from le2329. Show le2329's posts

I'm in Watertown.  I chose a home daycare for my 22 month old son.  I love it! I couldn't ask for a better enviroment for him.  All meals are included.  I provide diapers/wipes and his pediasure.  He is there part time (25 hours) and it is $200 a week.  The providers are so loving and caring for my son.  He loves going there, has never cried when I leave.  He spends time outside, at the library, park (if weather permits) art projects that he is so proud of, plus his vocabulary has grown tremendously.   

When I was chosing daycare, I took into account that DS is asthmatic and was it was suggested by his Dr's that I find a home daycare with a small amount of kids.  To try and limit passing of illnesses.  He has been there for 9 months and has yet to get sick. 

I'm very happy with my choice.  As previous posters have said, daycare is so expensive.  I like knowing that I can work part time and can afford to put him in daycare. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Kaydo, I'm mainly a lurker but I strongly suspect my husband and I are looking into the same daycare you've settled upon. Sadly, I don't think she has an infant spot available for us when we need it (I'm due in 2 mos) but we're hoping to get in once one of the other babies ages into toddler status.

Is there a way to exchange private messages on here? I'd be interested in picking your brain on pediatricians, other daycares you looked at in Malden, etc...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Grim...not sure if Woburn is too far for you - but Woburn Pediatrics is fantastic!  (I'm in Melrose.)  Good luck!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Thanks, culhasa. I'll look into them! Woburn shouldn't be too far for a normal person. I'm not a very confident or courageous driver, though, and I think it'll be worse with an infant in the car. My hubby does all of the driving now but my job is more flexible so I'll be the one to do a lot of the pedi visits once the baby is here.