How much do you pay for childcare?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Re: How much do you pay for childcare?

Grimalkin: I just sent you a friend request (by clicking on your screen name).  I think if you accept it, we can email privately.  Your assumption is probably right - I know we took the last infant spot available at our daycare.

As for pediatricians, we see Dr. David Bross at Mystic Valley Pediatrics in Medford Square and LOVE him (and the whole practice).  I actually called this afternoon to see if they could see DS today for a sick visit and they got him right in.  Highly recommend them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Amy-lynn, Your post reminded me...
    "I think one reason MA has such high daycare costs is that there are strict licensing requirements on both centers, and home care providers, that many states don't have. The limits on number of kids per provider, especially, drive up costs."

I was curious once what it would take to run your own daycare and I looked at the govt website w/ the requirements.  It seemed like a home daycare would need to have a good amount of structure - they have to have approved meal plans and daily activities, etc.  It seems to me like they couldn't just plop your kids in front of the TV.
    Thoughts everyone?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Fram,
    Yes, there are very specific regs re: family childcare, but as with anything, there are better providers and those who are not. Frankly, I direct a childcare center and we have better teachers than others, and classrooms where the care is better because the teachers are better and more inventive... more loving and caring.... etc.

For what it's worth, the center I direct is in Wash, DC and costs $1800 for 10 hour day.  DC's childcare is also very expensive....  our regs have gotten much tighter and are now almost as good as MA's, and in some cases more stringent!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That is really good advice Sarahhc!  (To drop in unexpected.) 

I also think it's good advice to be very clear about what you're looking for/expectations.  I was a nanny for an infant and the parents were not very clear about what they wanted.  It seemed like if they caught me with the baby in the swing or anything they were surprised... but did they seriously never take a moment of down time when they were with the baby?  Did they really hold him and entertain him and coddle him 24/7?  I doubt it.  Don't get me wrong, I definitely did not plop him in front of the TV!!  I'm just talking about putting him in the swing for 15 minutes so I could tidy up and put on my shoes or that kind of thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsparadise. Show itsparadise's posts

We live on the North Shore and my two year old is enrolled in a private daycare's toddler program which is $260/week for full days. This only includes juice/snack (which actually are brought in by parents). It's a very warm, educational, and consistent program and we're very happy here. Previously we had attended KinderCare for many years as I have an older child but we grew tired of their corporate rules.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Trouble - My recommendation is to look around at numerous centers.  We are in Framingham We saw a Bright Horizons and we saw multiple other non-chain daycare centers.  We were going to look at the Kindercare Centers but found our preference so stopped looking. 
    We did not find that the non-bright horizon or kindercare centers had any higher child/teacher ratios or different structure then the more expensive corporate centers.  They were a bit snazzier in creating an elaborate scrapbook and offering child yoga classes but price became an issue.  We are using MetroChild Center which is in Framingham and is $270/week for 5 days a week infants.  We provide the bottles, formula/bm, snacks etc.  They offer the same child/teacher ratios, bring the kids (infants included) outside at least once if not twice a day weather permitting, do not allow more then one movie a month (usually only in winter too); and bring in outside programs.  Everything a BH offfered just a LOT cheaper.
    We also looked at ones that were $260/week; $300/week; $330/week and $355/week. 
    My recommendation search around especially in the Natick area you should be able to find something reasonable in cost yet still quality care.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mckate. Show mckate's posts

Both my husband and I have on-site daycares. My company in framingham is $342.69 a week for 5 days of care. My husbands office in boston offers it for 242.00 a week for 5 days. Its pretty obvious that we are going.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from keywestsunset. Show keywestsunset's posts

Kaydo:

I'm somewhat a lurker on the pregancy board as well. I was active on the wedding board under a differnent name. I'm due in June and I'm starting the day care search.

As I explore options, it sounds like a home day care like you found is just what we are looking for - we live in Malden too.

Do you mind sharing your day care information privately with me? I know there's probably not a spot for me but I'd love to call the provider and posssible see her location just so I have something to compare. And who knows, maybe she'll have a part time vacancy in the fall.

Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts