How to handle an early riser when kids share a room

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

How to handle an early riser when kids share a room

Some of you may know that all 3 of my kids share a room, 3.5 y/o and 16 month old twins.  I was petrified that DD1 would cause sleep issues for the babies in the beginning but we've only had 2 frat house like bed times.  The issues is actually DS.

DD1 and DD2 are sleepers.DD1 will sleep until 9 is she can and DD2 is up 7:30-8.  DS wakes up anytime between 5 and 7.  It's never the same time day to day which is super annoying but a different issue.   The real issue is that he is a screamer.  He has realized that his sister is in the other crib and stands at the end closest to her and screams at her trying to wake her up.  The screams are happy "Wake up, Wake up.  Look at me, I'm awake.  You should be too." Sometimes she sleeps through it but sometimes she doesn't and I have two babies up early, one who is cranky because someone woke her up.

So the question is this, for those with twins or just kids who share rooms, is there anyway to stop him from doing this and if not please tell me this is a phase kids who share rooms go through?  We do not have any other room he could sleep in and rearranging the bedroom so that he is not next to DD2 isn't an option either due to the shape of the room and having to fit 2 cribs and a twin bed.  He does not scream in the morning when he sleeps over his grandparents who have a separate room for him.the screams are happy "Wake up, Wake up.  Look at me, I'm awake.  You should be too." 

I'll end the post on an up note, it is super cute (when it isn't 5:30 in the morning) to turn on the monitor and see them standing up facing each other squawking at each other.  Or the time I flipped on the monitor at 4:30 am to see what he was complaining about and caught DD1 up and handing him his lovey that he had clearly dropped out of the crib (and everyone went back to sleep).  So sometimes, having them share a room is alright.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: How to handle an early riser when kids share a room

I'm sorry this is happening to you - and to your DDs. My son wakes up earlier than my daughter, but he usually just calls for me to come get him. So he and I go down to the kitchen/family room while DH and DD get some more shut eye.
    Also I'm talking around 6:30 - if it's 5:30 or something I tell him it's still night night time and to go back to sleep. But he's 2 1/2.
    I suppose you need to start telling him he can't wake his sister. I'm sure in the beginning it will have no effect, but it might start to sink in. Maybe get that clock Daisy has (sun on one side and moon on the other) and tell him he has to be quiet until the sun comes out. Again - probably too little right now, but it may start to work in a month or two.
    Good luck - I know how you feel. My twins have colds and I was up just about every hour last night with one or the other crying because of congestion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

DZ, I can't answer your question, but I'm curious how you put them all down at night and how long it takes them to fall asleep, especially since yours are different ages.  I am considering moving both mine to the same room and having one large kids room (all our bedrooms are drastically different in size).  Mine are 6 months and 22 months, and both actually go to bed at the same time, but my older one goes down awake whereas I nurse the little one to sleep.  Can I put them both down together and not have DD wake up DS?  Both are also sleeping through the night now.  Would love your thoughts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Lily - Thanks for your sympathy.  I think you're right and I need to get the clock and start teaching him (them) to stay quiet and go back to sleep until the sun is up.  I was just soooo spoiled with DD1 who I have almost always had to wake up in the morning.

Trouble - One of the first and biggest stresses for me when we found out about our surprise twins was "How are they all going to sleep in the same room?"  I worried about it even before I knew we were having twins.  Surprisingly (to me at least) it was easy. 

DD1 was 2.3 when the twins were born.  The plan was to keep the babies in our room until they slept through the night.  DD2 slept through starting at about 8 weeks and I now can't remember how we handle bedtime but I don't remember any issues.  Actually now that I've thought for a minute, DD2 would go to bed first and then a little while later DD1 who was unaware there was now someone else sleeping in the room with her.

DS was in our room a lot longer.  He wasn't sleeping though the night yet at 4.5 months but he had reached the weight limit for the PNP bassinet and I couldn't handle his sleep noises any more, so I just tried it.  I had reached the point where I figured it couldn't hurt to try.  Again the babies went to bed first and I swear it was months before DD1 realized they were in her room at night. 

Currently, the twins, 16 months, go to bed first at 8pm.  DD1, 3.5, starts the bedtime routine (which is done in our room) at 8:30pm with the goal of her being in bed by 9pm.  Usually the babies are asleep by that point but we tell her every night as we take her into her room that the babies are sleeping so she needs to be quiet.

Bedtime really isn't a big deal for us.  Babies go to sleep fairly quickly.  DS is asleep in under 15 minutes with usually no complaining and DD2 is usually out in under 30 mins although lately she has been a bit of night owl.  She has a few times in the last month popped up as we were putting DD1 to bed.  We just lay her back down as we are leaving and say it's night-night time.  That works most of the time.  There have been 2 times where we've pulled DD2 out for some more intensive comforting before returning her to bed.  DD1 actually knocks on the door when she wants us but that has never seemed to bother the babies.  At least not as much as it bugs mom and dad. 

I would do it now if I were you.  Your kids are young enough that they will adjust eventually if there are even any issues.  Like I said, I spent all this time worrying over something that never happened.  :-)

Is your 22 month still in a crib?  One of my concerns was that DD1 would "share" toys/pillows/blankets with her infant siblings which she has only done once a few weeks ago.  I came in to find Seymour the monkey which is twice the size of DD2 taking up all the room in her crib.  I think DD1 was trying to be nice and stop her complaining so she could go to sleep. 

So to recap, babies go down first and even if DD2 is up and blathering at him DS rolls over, sticks his but in the air and goes to sleep.  DD1 follows roughly a half hour later and we seldom have had any bed time issues and only one middle of the night cascading crying effect where one kid woke up the next kid who woke up the last kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I've been meaning to respond to this but kept getting side-tracked.

Is there enough space between the beds that you could hang curtains around DS's crib (out of reach of both him and DD2!)?  We (and by "we" I mean DH) mounted a long curtain rod from the ceiling and hung 4 tab curtains from it.  We only use them during naptime, and it's far from a perfect solution, but it cuts down on the shenanigans most of the time.  Obviously they can still hear each other, but they aren't able to show off for each other since they can't see what the other is doing.  Your DS may be young enough that having his view of his sisters blocked will create the illusion of being in a separate room.

As far as the good nite lite, I think it's geared for 22 months and up, so your DS may still be a little young, but it can't hurt to get one and talk about it a lot.  At bedtime:  "Ooh, look, the light is a moon, that means it's nighttime and time to go to sleep."  In the morning, if it's too early, emphasize that the moon is still out--and don't let him get up b/c then the light is pointless.  Once it changes to a sun, ooh and ahh over it and talk about the sun meaning it's morning and time to get up.  In any case, even if he doesn't "get" it now, he likely will between now and 22 months, so it can't hurt.

Another potential possibility would be to put him in your room in a peapod (http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5). Far from ideal, I know, but it will keep him contained and if he's in your room (and can't see you), at least he won't be able to wake up his sisters.  We bought the peapods for traveling, but mostly use them for containment purposes when the kids have a day where staying in their cribs for naptime or bedtime is a challenge.  (We hold the zippers closed with a twist-tie or safety pin.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I think if we could make it work the curtain idea has potential.  I'm just not sure if we can jigger things around in the room enough that it wouldn't be reachable from either crib since DD2 would be apt to be tugging on it at bedtime.

The peapod is cute but how do you keep the kids from standing up and rolling it?  Which I'm pretty sure is what DS would do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

He shouldn't be able to stand up in it, it's only a little higher than about knee-height on me (I'm 5'3" for reference) but we did have an issue with rolling at one point.  Keep in mind that it can be used outdoors, and it does have loops through which to put stakes.  DH got some clothesline, put it through two of the loops and tied one to the legs of the crib in one room for DD and tied the other to the legs of another bed in another room.  They may be smart, but DH knows how to tie knots.  :)  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

DZ, thanks so much for the advice!  DD is still in a crib too, so it might be the perfect time to get them both used to sleeping together in the same room.  Then when granny comes to stay again we will have a guest room back :)

Great advice from Daisy on the curtain too.  Over the summer there was a period of time (pre-DS) when we only had AC in the master bedroom.  We had DD in with us, but we put her in front of our bed and put some net curtains on our 4-poster so that she couldn't really see we were there.  It worked like a charm!