Husband blunders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Re: Husband blunders

My husband has in general been helpful since day 1, but the best thing I did was go away when DD was 5 months old.  I went away for 3 days, and he had to do everything himself and he did just fine.  After that weekend away, he was doing more as he realized all the little stuff that I had been doing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

This isn't really a blunder, but last night I was very amused by both of these things (feel free to tell me if I need to get out more)....

I have a 4-hour meeting this afternoon at work and needed to be in the office this morning to get somethings done beforehand.  The kids have their 9-month check up this morning, so DH is taking them (and is taking the entire day off).  So...one of our friends is coming into Boston from a couple hours away for a job interview today and her husband came with her (she's REALLY pregnant right now).  He is going to take the train out to the town where we live to spend the day w/DH.  The train station happens to be across the street from the pedi's office and gets in while DH will be in the appt. w/the kids.  Perfect.  The friend is just going to go into the office to wait for DH and the kids to be done.

So as we were planning this out last night, we realized that the office staff might be a little creeped out by a man coming in to the pedi's office--without children--and just sitting in the (very small) waiting room w/o any explanation, and understandably so.  So, DH is under strict orders to inform the receptionist when he checks in that his friend will be coming in to wait for him.  I really hope for our friend's sake that he remembers!!!

The other thing is that we're out of butter.  DH forgot to mention it or write it down when he used the last of it and I didn't pick any up last time I was at the store as a result.  So, I suggested that he and his friend could take the kids to the grocery store today to pick some up.  DH just looked at me and started laughing, then said:  "Two men going into the grocery store on a Wednesday afternoon with two babies to buy butter...I don't think so...."  Ah...funny that no one would think twice if it were two women in that scenario.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"DH just looked at me and started laughing, then said:  "Two men going into the grocery store on a Wednesday afternoon with two babies to buy butter...I don't think so...." 

Obviously you haven't been  married long.  One day your husband, like all husbands, will learn to sit quietly with your purse in his lap in the lingerie department while you try things on. I have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Daisy - that is hilarious... easydoesit2- it's not about him going to the grocery store because he's a guy, it's about the appearance of TWO MEN walking into the grocery store with TWO BABIES to pick up butter.

While he's at it - have him get some sweet n low.. I'm sure that will add to the scenario.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I like two funny things my husband had said

one - when our daughter was born and (i think) we were still in the hospital - he asked the doctor when we could get the baby on a sleeping schedule...

and two, when he would change her diapers she would sometimes stick her legs in the air and he honestly thought the baby had learned to "help" with the diaper changing process... I still laugh because now if she sees something she wants to grab she twists around and he can't control her...so funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

easy, I think he meant people would assume they were a gay couple.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

kar--just to clarify...DH is NOT homophobic in the least, but WAS amused at the image of the scenario in his head.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

For some reason, I immediately got this image in my head of a scene from the movie "The Hangover" where they are carrying the baby around in the baby bjorn.  The "gay" aspect of it didn't even occur to me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Daisy-I like how he didn't think to leave the kids in the car with the friend, run in and get the butter by himself, or ask the friend to do that.

As for DH's blunders...hmmm, too many to list here. the other day we were talking about how DH would break into a sweat every time he changed DS' diaper as an infant from nerves. Now he breaks into a sweat changning DS' diaper since DS refuses to stay still and is a moving target. 

Putting a sippy cup together totally befuddles DH. He can't figure out, or remember, to put the vents in the sippy cup. Which has left DS almost drowning in milk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't gather that he was, Daisy.  That's where "...not that there's anything wrong with that," came from!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"easy, I think he meant people would assume they were a gay couple."

"kar--just to clarify...DH is NOT homophobic in the least, but WAS amused at the image of the scenario in his head."

LOL! and do you think sitting in a lingerie department with a purse on his lap would NOT cause an assumption, or an amusing scenario in DH's head?  Give him time. He'll get over it. I bet that, a few years ago, he never envisioned himself going to pedi offices, changing diapers, etc., either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

what? sitting in a lingerie dept = gay? I'm so lost with what you're saying.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, I totally would not assume a guy with a purse on his lap outside a dressing room was gay, I'd figure he was a husband for sure!  ...and a nice one at that. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

not you Kar, Easydoesit... I don't know what point this guy is trying to make - nor why he is commenting on this thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I figured, benice - I was answering his question before I even saw your response.  Easy's a good guy - this just went a little awry.  He probably was attracted to the thread because he's a husband and would be intrigued by anything named "Husband blunders." :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

that's true kar!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I REALLY didn't mean to hijack this thread (or maybe I can blame it on easy?)....  My husband is a very capable and loving father and I trust him 100% with the kids.  That being said, funny things happen on occasion and it's fun to share those stories (and he has stories about me as well!).

Would LOVE to hear some stories from other people!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have no doubt easy's comment was innocent - he's good peeps.

Anyway, I don't have any stories with husband and baby to share as we've not had the blessing yet, but we do have a puppy.  DH is very appreciative in a renewed way any time he takes care of her by himself even just for a few hours!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I just noticed this article on BDC and thought it was pertinent to this thread...and re-affirms how I feel about all things Dad-related.

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/blogs/child_caring/2010/02/raised_by_dad_shouldnt_be_a_shocker.html

Not to say we shouldn't laugh (we definitely should!) at the little mishaps and incidents that happen here and there, but hands-on Dads really aren't given enough credit!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Agreed Daisy - I try to be very understanding of my husband, I am with the baby 24-7 and he works 12-15 hrs per day so obviously he's not going to understand all of her little baby nuances like I am.

Any dad that changes diaper/clothes and can walk around with a crying baby etc deserves major props.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"Yeah, I figured, benice - I was answering his question before I even saw your response.  Easy's a good guy - this just went a little awry.  He probably was attracted to the thread because he's a husband and would be intrigued by anything named "Husband blunders." :)...Kar

Bingo!  Absolutely!

"Easydoesit... I don't know what point this guy is trying to make - nor why he is commenting on this thread."...Bernice

OUCH!  I will say no more.  I'll only make it worse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Things easily get misinterpretted on forums; this just went wrong for some reason.  FWIW, I happen to know easy from other threads and he's consistently an upstanding citizen of the boards and definitely meant no harm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tafkaltlg. Show tafkaltlg's posts

Is it ok for Husbands to post? I just made the blunder of a lifetime...
    I am the 'stay-at-home' dad for 1 year old twins while Mom works full-time...
    So, after mentioning for weeks that the kids needed a haircut, I went and cut their bangs. Literally 3 snips across the forehead! Mom was majorly not happy, Grandma called and said 'uh-oh', Nanni emailed and said 'glad I got pictures before THAT happened, my sister said 'you DONT cut the kids hair, you have a pro do it!'  and my 14 year old niece laughed her butt off...

I will NEVER again do that...

ps: I happen to think they look adorable and dont see what the fuss is all about!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

tafkaltig--that's hilarious!  The first haircut is kind of a big milestone for a lot of moms and they want to make it into an "event" complete with pictures or video and, yes, a professional hairdresser.  Since your wife never made that clear to you (apparently), I say good for you for taking charge and getting the job done :)  You had absolutely no reason to think you were doing anything "wrong" and had the best of intentions.  Did you at least save a few little snippets of their hair after you cut it?  Lots of Baby Books have a place to put a lock of hair from the first haircut (if not, you can always get it next time--the kids will never know it isn't REALLY from the first cut).  Now, everyone has a good story about your twins' first haircut :)

Besides me, there's at least one other MOT one these boards.  Would love to hear more from you about your "adventures" with twins.  Are yours boys? girls? both? identical? fraternal?  I have one of each (as does MissLily) and they're 9 months old.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

tafkaltig...it's great for a husband to post here.  Nice to see that you can laugh at your "blunder".  Daisy's right.  A lot of moms see the first haircut as a milestone and want to make a big event out of it.  That's probably why everyone was on your case.  I can't imagine they look any worse than if a professional would have cut their hair.  How much hair does the average 1 year old really have anyway?  Of course there are exceptions, but most of them don't need a professional haircut.  A few snips by mom and dad will do just fine.