I hate Mr. Noodle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I hate Mr. Noodle

I realize that I'm a bad mommy for letting my 20 month old twins watch any TV at all, but I sometimes resort to a few minutes of Elmo's World on Sesame Street when I need to get a meal on the table.  I record a few episodes on the DVR and have them ready to go if I need them.
    My children LOVE Elmo and I'm fine with that - he's cute.  But I hate Mr. Noodle. That guy looks like someone you'd avoid at the mall.  My DS was sick the other day so I let him have a little Elmo time while my mother watched him.  She looked at me when Mr. Noodle came on and said, "I think he's scary and weird."
    Anyone else have any thoughts? :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: I hate Mr. Noodle

I think Mr. Noodle (and his brother, Mr.Noodle) are classic clowns. They use great physical humor. But I am annoyed at the toothbrushing episode, when he squeezes all the toothpaste out of the tube. DD thinks it is hilarious, and wants to do the same thing. I have said, "No, No Mr. Noodling the toothpaste!" on more than one occaision.

What frightens DD is Journey to Ernie from the older epsiodes that they play on Sprout. I have no idea why. She like Big Bird. She likes Ernie. She loves rubber duckie. But have Ernie hide in a box with stripes and a picture of rubber duckie on it, and Big Bird try and find him, and she won't watch it.

And don't feel bad about a few minutes of Seasme Street - there are far worse things than a few minutes of TV when you need to distract a kid (or two).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I actually don't mind the humor - although I agree about the toothpaste one.  I just hate the way he looks - maybe he needs some clown make-up or something. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

If it makes you feel any better, Mr. Noodle died.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/04/01/entertainment/main547217.shtml

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Oh yes - Mr Noodle. DD is 18m and I let her watch WAY more TV than I'd like her to, but unless I have a plan for the day, we usually watch some in the morning, at lunch, and before dinner. As soon as this SNOW and cold weather breaks totally I'll be taking her outside more often.

I'm disappointed with Sesame Street these days - the Flying Fairy School cartoon definitely needs to go. We watch Sid the Science Kid & I let her watch videos on pbskids.org. I also have the Scholastic DVD book set which DD likes a lot and I also have two Sesame Street DVDs 1,2,3 Count with me and Learning About Letters - but I usually just play those in the car.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I hate Abby's Flying Fairy School too!  Basically I tape onto the DVR because the kids only like the opening scene on Sesame Street (and only if Elmo's in the scene) and Elmo's World.  They have no interest in Abby's Flying Fairy School (which seems to have about 4 episodes that they run over and over) nor do they like Ernie and Bert in claymation.
    To be quite honest I'd rather have a 1/2 hour show more like the one I used to watch (mostlly muppets) than an hour show filled with cartoons.
    And I'm sorry Mr. Noodle died - although there is still "his brother, Mr. Noodle"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Just chiming in to share my disappointment with sesame street, too.  I miss all the songs and the get along type of skits or whatever you call them that they used to have.  My daughter knows all the characters, but we don't watch the show.  Rather, she won't watch the show.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGSkarin. Show KGSkarin's posts

My friend Erin and I were just having this discussion last weekend and we both agreed (as did our husbands) that the concept of Mr. Noodle is a little creepy.  My son whimpers whenever that segment comes on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I think it's actually Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle who died.
    I kind of like Mr. Noodle.  And his sister, Miss Noodle.
    But I really hate the new format of Sesame Street.  Our LO is too young to have an opinion, but I watched it during the two weeks I was home from work waiting for her to be born.  :)
    I particularly hate Abby and her posse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from calico79. Show calico79's posts

FYI-  It was Mr. Noodle's brother, Mr. Noodle that died.  He was in Sister Act :)  I don't like Mr. Noodle though but his brother is ok.  My daughter loves Elmo's World and I think it's fine.  A little TV in my book is ok- it keeps my sanity. 

Also, I don't like the new Sesame Streets, I think they're boring and so does my daughter.  I like the ones from around 2000, and the theme is much better too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We're strictly Nick Jr. No commercials, and the shows are all about being nice to each other. We like backyardigans, Dora, and wonderpets, but our absolute favorite is Yo Gabba. My husband and I like to watch it too.

We talked to our ped about TV at the 2-year appt and she said that it's not so much that TV is bad for the kid as that it takes time that could otherwise be spent in meaningful interaction. So if you spend an hour or two on tv and the balance in meaningul interaction you're in the clear. Just make sure you work a lot of adoring gazing and direct eye contact in because toddlers love that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Mr Noodle is a weirdo!  DD was super into Elmos world about a year ago but could care less about SS now.  Sometimes she will watch the Play with Me Sesame Street but probably only watch a few minutes.   Plus I agree with Lemon, PBS has commercials.  Nick kr and Disney Jr are the most watched by my DD. 

I would say my DD probably watches more TV than I would like.  She def wakes up to a show, watches one when she wakes up from a nap and watches one before bed.  I will say it is on all day when I work but she it is just backround for her as she is playing.  She never usually focus' on it.   I used to be able to put her in front of a show or even a movie and she would not move.  That does not happen anymore, as a 2 yr old toddler, she does not sit still.  On a Friday night, if DH is working and we have nothing going on, I love geting in my bed with her, putting on a DVD and watching a movie with her.  It is our special time together. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Mr. Noodle has always creeped me out.  When my nieces &  nephews watch, *I* actually leave the room.  <They're old enough now to do that>

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, I just caught this the other day when we were over at my mom's and she had Sprout on.  I think I know who Mr. Noodle is, and I've seen him as an actor in several movies, so I don't mind him.  but I can see how he would seem creepy.  (and I love the "No Mr. Noodling the toothpaste!" story!)  But I TOTALLY agree about the Ernie hiding in a box thing!  I found it disturbing and I'm not even sure why...

Speaking of Sesame, I was born in the 70s and watched Sesame street then, and I would SWEAR the same actress is playing Maria, and the same actor is Gordon!  Is this the case, anyone know?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I don't mind Mr. Noodle, actually.  What I loathe is Elmo.  We can't even say his name anymore because DS gets so excited that he chants, "Elmo" until one of us caves and puts it on for him. 

Netflix streams older episodes of Sesame Street, but DS will only sit still for Elmo's World.  It makes me feel less guilty that other moms let their kids watch TV at such a young age (he watches more than I'd like, maybe an episode of Elmo's World a day).  DS is only 20 months old, but he loves Elmo.  Like really loves Elmo.  His grandparents gave him a singing Elmo doll before he ever saw the tv show and it is his favorite thing.  I personally think the introduction of Elmo sent Sesame Street into Lameville; I remember it being much cooler when I was a kid and my parents agree it's a lot different now.

I wish Netflix streamed Yo Gabba Gabba.  That's our go to music in the car and DS loves that too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Poppy - Yes, all the actors are the same - Gordon, Maria, Luis, Bob and Susan are the same actors. They have introduced  some new actors - Alan, Chris, Leela, and Gabi seem to have more on-screen time than some of the original members, but we still see all the older characters as well.

I think that Sesame Street has made some changes for the better over time, but also some not so great changes. I like that the segments are longer - I was watching DVDs of the first few seasons, and the pacing is really fast. It is like watching commercials. No wonder I have no attention span Wink The longer blocks seem a bit more cohesive. But I hate "Monster Funtime" from the slightly older re-runs on Sprout, and I'm not a big fan of Abby Caddaby (both Flying Fairy School and as a muppet character. As a scientist I really disliked the show where she turned off gravity for Big Bird and Snuffleupagus).

I feel like I have watched a ton of episodes lately since DD had a stomach bug and fever last week, and all she wanted to do was watch Sesame Street, so being a big softie since she was sick, I let her.

Sections
Shortcuts