if anyone wants a good cry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

if anyone wants a good cry

I listened to the podcast of This American Life's "Unconditional Love" episode on my way to work today.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/317/unconditional-love

I was particularly struck by the prologue, in which they discuss a 1950s psychological experiment that "proved" the importance of maternal affection in a child's life.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Re: if anyone wants a good cry

I heard this a while back, oh man even just being reminded about it makes me teary. Just thinking about the tortured little monkeys makes me weepy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I felt sad for the monkeys, but I was more into the whole thing about the pillow mother and the wire mother.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Or how about the belief that love doesn't matter and if you kiss your child more than once a year you're damaging them.  I find it very hard to believe that is was a widely held belief!  Wouldn't we have had a whole generation of people with attachment disorder?

Nonetheless, very interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: if anyone wants a good cry:
    [QUOTE]Wouldn't we have had a whole generation of people with attachment disorder?
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

Prove to me that we don't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Incidentally, you can see a lot of these ads and pamphlets in Mommy Knows Worst. http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Knows-Worst-Highlights-Parenting/dp/1400082285

It's a great book. I read it on the subway and was laughing so hard the people on either side of me moved and nobody else sat down. During rush hour.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

Believe it or not, there are people that still believe that it's possible to kiss your kids too much.  My MIL actually told my son (9 mos old at the time) that his father kisses him too much and that he's going to "be in trouble." I'm not quite sure what she meant by that last part but I can only imagine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Oh no, I have ruined my child! Poor baby is kissed about 1,000 times a day. Only 8 months old and I've already ruined her :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh nooooo my day is ruined because now all I can think about are those poor little monkeys and any other baby creature ever denied love and affection!!

My friend's MIL said TO HER 9 MONTH OLD GRANDSON (my friend's son), "I know kids like you," when my friend told her they warm up his solid food before giving it to him.  She also sarcastically calls him "The Prince". 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'd already read about the official wisdom concerning parenting around that time, so I wasn't surprised or upset about that part of the story. But I thought the part about the monkey loving the pillow mother just because she was soft and comforting was very reassuring. The most important thing you can give a baby is love. As long as they get that, they thrive. And it's not that hard to give love to a baby, if a pillow can do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if anyone wants a good cry : Is that what your body pillow tells you at night ?
    Posted by Heisinberg[/QUOTE]
    Are those the panties your mother laid out for you?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Unfortunately that guy's "research" has been twisted into a justification for Velcro parenting, just like the "research" that shows rats in cages with toys are smarter than rats in cages without toys.  If interaction and stimulation are good, more interaction and more stimulation are better, to the point where children aren't supposed to be allowed to just BE for two minutes at a time without an adult micromanaging and verbally interpreting their every experience.  Thus swingeth the pendulum...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if anyone wants a good cry : No Mommy , Your panties are to big for me.
    Is this supposed to make sense?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

[QUOTE]Your to old to get it.

Only 6 words in that post, and 2 of them are spelled wrong.  That's actually pretty impressive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it's funny that someone would consider "old" an insult. I would imagine that most people want to get old, considering the alternative.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if anyone wants a good cry : Your poor husbands. How they must suffer in silence. 

At least give him credit for the 50% correct useage of the words "your/you're".  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

He's definitely not married. Where are these husbands who suffer in silence?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Apparently, based on his responses and what I know about the ladies on here, he must mean any man married to a woman of intelligence & wit.

[QUOTE]He's definitely not married. Where are these husbands who suffer in silence?
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]