Induction at B&W

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mckate. Show mckate's posts

Induction at B&W

Hi,

Just wondering if any one had any experience with an induction at B&W. Tomorrow I will be 41wks, and my midwife has scheduled an induction for monday/tuesday. Monday I will be having the first part of the induction to prep the cervix (i really haven't thinned out, or losened up), and then on Tuesday will go in for the pitocien. 

Really just looking to hear about anyone expericence, and what I can expect.

Thanks!

KS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Induction at B&W

I was the same as CT.  Low fluid at 38.5 weeks.  1 cm dilated.  Got the cervix prep meds and that put me into full labor, no pitocin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I, too, was induced at 41 weeks. I was 4cm dilated when I went into the hospital at noon on a Thursday. I was put on pitocin and by 10pm was no further dilated. They took me off it so I could get some sleep and put me back on it at 6am Friday morning. By 5pm that night I had still not progressed beyond 4cm. So we made the decision for me to have a c-section and my DS was born in less than an hour.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I was induce at 40wks as I had GD and couldn't go past my due date, but not at B&W.  I went in on Tuesday and they also prepped the cervix as I was only 1cm dilated.  They also gave me an Ambien so I could get some sleep.  Well around 2-3am, my water broke.  By 10 am the next morning, they started the pitocin and gave birth at 7:45pm that morning.

Just to let you know, I did have some difficulties with delivering the placenta that my uterus kinda gave up and it wouldn't come out.  I had to have a D&C done to remove it, which they had to put me under to do since it was so painful.  I ended up losing enough blood to have a blood transfusion the next day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Does anyone have a good resource for reading about inducing?  My OB said they will NOT induce if the cervix isn't ready (e.g. thinned out) - they would do a c-section.  This makes me think that maybe his practice does not do whatever some of you had done to "prep" the cervix (I'll be delivering at NWH)?  I'd like to ask him some intelligent questions, but haven't come across this at all in my baby books yet (maybe I haven't read far enough).

Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

This was not some I had heard of around the Boston area until some of my friends in the south started having babies, and now it seems like I hear of "prepping the cervix" all the time.  The medicine my friends in Florida were given was Cervidil.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-11461-Cervidil.aspx?drugid=11461&drugname=Cervidil

Never been pg, so no experience with this, but I remembered the name of the drug and thought the link might be helpful :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I've heard of sweeping membranes to induce labor -- a few of my friends have done that. And, of course, having s-e-x.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

During my labor and delivery class, when discussing foot rubs, the nurse said not to rub the inside of your ankles, as there is a reflexology link between your inner ankles and uterus. I don't know much about reflexology, but DH has promised to start rubbing my inner ankles a week prior to my due date.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

At my doctors appt on my due date I was 2 cm dialated and my OB stripped my membranes, 2 hours later I was in full blown labor.   First contraction and I already was in so much pain I could not even speak to DH. 

I have heard that if you are not dilated at all, it makes inducing very diffucult and most of the people that I know that have been induced that have had no progress have went on to have a csection.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Poppy - did you take a birthing class yet?  I delivered at NW also and they had a great class.  DH and I did the two full days and we actually enjoyed it.  It was very informative and they did talk about induction.  However, I would think that you could simply ask your OB why they do c-section over induction?   There might be some stats about number of inductions that end up being c-sections because nothing works.  Don't worry about being intelligent -- just tell him you were wondering.   Let us now what you find out. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

happy - no, no classes yet... Undecided  I am planning to look into them this week.  I'm glad to know that the NWH class is helpful!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3912890. Show user_3912890's posts

I was induced two weeks past my due date at MGH. We began the induction on Tuesday and my daughter was born vaginally on Friday. I was only 1 cm for 2 days. In addition to the pitocin, we also tried a foley balloon catheter to try to open the cervix. Not very pleasant! You should be prepared that inductions can take a few days to get labor to really kick in. I had prepared for a natural childbirth, saw a midwife and had done a lot of research so I felt prepared. I also knew that as long as my baby wasn't at risk, I did not want a c-section and I knew which procedures I was comfortable with and which I was not. There are some drugs used to prep the cervix that may have very serious side effects. You should discuss all the potential options with your doctor. I saw my OB for a follow-up when my baby was three weeks old and he said he liked to think that if I had been with an OB during labor we would have still had a vaginal birth, but probably not.  He also said he would see a midwife if he were having a baby! I found Ina May's Guide to Childbirth to be a great resource.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it's really important to ask a lot of questions. The midwives expected it of us -- every visit they'd say, "Okay, what are your questions?" Sometimes I didn't have any, and they'd be disappointed in me, so I would read about childbirth between visits to try to come up with some.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It is so strange to me that the body would just decide, "Nope, not going into labor" after 9 months of something that is such a natural part of mammal existence!!

This being my first pregancy and not going crazy reading tons of books, I'm just baffled as to why it seems so common to need medical intervention (i.e. induction) for what is supposed to be a natural part of being a human.  Doesn't the baby NEED to come out?  What is the body thinking??

Just expressing my bafflement! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I read Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care and Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born when I was pregnant, and they had a HUGE impact on me. Both books talk about the history of medical intervention in childbirth, juxtapose it to current trends, and question -- not challenge, just question -- the necessity of the high level of intervention so common in today's hospitals. I am NOT saying that anyone here who was induced or c-sectioned didn't need it, so please don't take offense. But I have known women who received obviously unnecessary interventions because the medical staff felt that things needed to be hurried along.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Poppy:  I don't know why some women have trouble going into childbirth but I know that I was one of them.  I blame it on being an older mother (38-39) during my first pregnancy (no, this is not medical fact, just something that I believe for myself, I don't think my uterus and cervix know what they are supposed to do).  I never had braxton hicks contractions, I was overdue with a gestational diabetes pregnancy.  I did not dilate AT ALL...even after 3 tries with the cervadil application.  And I did not respond to pitocin.  I really wanted a natural drug-free delivery, but because of the GD my OB wouldn't let me get too far overdue and the baby was showing signs of being too large.  We tried a pitocin drip on 2 different dates, but I never developed strong, effective contractions, even after 8 hours at the maximum drip dose.  Unfortunately, I believe that I never would have been able to deliver naturally and I did end up with a c-section.

I also had trouble with a previous miscarriage that I was not able to pass on my own.  We tried a medical "abortion" which is a drug used to help jumpstart the passing of the miscarriage and avoid a D&C, but like the pitocin, my body did not respond to the drug and I ended up with a D&C anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My best friend went long on both her pregnancies. I think she has a super comfortable deluxe womb and the babies didn't want to leave it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Notanewbie - I'm sorry about your difficult experiences. :(  I was just reading waaaay ahead in my Pregnancy Week by Week and came across and induction section.  Apparently there are lots of reasons this might be necessary! 

As long as i end up with a healthy baby (without too much damage to myself) I'll be grateful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Poppy I haven't read Pushed yet, but I am interested in getting it.  I did watch The Business of Being Born and thought it was interesting and definately has made me think about things.  The documentary is pro home birth and using midwives and minimal intervention but I didn't feel that they were anti medical intervention and state that it is necessary.  I felt the whole point of the documentary was to raise awareness and bring up questions so you could discuss them with your care person (either midwife or OB etc.)

I am going to have my DH watch it before it is due back at the library and I will watch it again.  I didn't think it was gross or anything it was actually much easier to watch than births that happen on TV, and I watched while I was eating lunch it wasn't horribly graphic in my opinion but your mileage may vary.

Ask lots of questions and go for what you feel is right for you and your child.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My pregnant friend and I kept rewinding and watching the babies come out, over and over. It was so exciting!

Sections
Shortcuts