Infant Allergies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Infant Allergies

ajuly, a wheat allergy/sensitivity and a gluten sensitivity/allergy are 2 separate things. If you are really gluten intolerant, it means you most likely have celiac disease which is totally different than a wheat allergy. Hopefully your baby is just going through a phase of some kind and will grow out of it. 

Even doctors that I've seen for my food reactions interchange the words allergy and sensitivity when it comes to things like wheat, soy and dairy, but then go on to tell me it's not a true allergy.  lol.   And yes, you need to only eliminate one thing at a time.  It took me close to 4 months to do elimination diets for wheat, dairy and soy. If I never see another food diary again, I will die a happy woman. :-)  And remember, dairy elimination means no red meat, butter and any other cow product.  If it's any consolation, goat's milk is quite tasty, albeit expensive.  GL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoJoM154. Show JoJoM154's posts

In Response to Infant Allergies:
    I'm no sure if anyone can relate to this, I haven't seen a post on it yet... DS has had blood in his stool for 2 weeks now. I've cut out dairy, soy and nuts. It seems to be getting worse, not better. He had his stool tested to make sure it was blood (no results yet) and I have to go back in 2 weeks with more samples to make sure that there is no more blood at that point since I will have cut soy/dairy out for a/b a month so it will be out of my system by then. If there is blood in 2 weeks, I will most likely have to switch to formula to see if he gets better.  I was reading online that corn and wheat can be other allergens, the only two things I haven't cut out yet.   This is all just wearing on me, worried about DS's health.  I really want to continue to breast feed and planned to until he was at least 6 mon.   Anyone else deal with allergies and have any advice?  Can infants this age get allergy testing, the pr i ck (figured i wouldn't be able to use that word!) to see what they're allergic to? That makes the most sense, otherwise I'll never know what it is that he's allergic to and I'll never be able to eat at a restaurant again!  Can you imagine me saying make sure my food is dairy,soy,nut, wheat and corn free?!   Ok, I'll stop rambling now. 
    Posted by ajuly09

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dahlia2. Show dahlia2's posts

I'm no sure if anyone can relate to this, I haven't seen a post on it yet... DS has had blood in his stool for 2 weeks now. I've cut out dairy, soy and nuts. It seems to be getting worse, not better. He had his stool tested to make sure it was blood (no results yet) and I have to go back in 2 weeks with more samples to make sure that there is no more blood at that point since I will have cut soy/dairy out for a/b a month so it will be out of my system by then. If there is blood in 2 weeks, I will most likely have to switch to formula to see if he gets better.  I was reading online that corn and wheat can be other allergens, the only two things I haven't cut out yet.   This is all just wearing on me, worried about DS's health.  I really want to continue to breast feed and planned to until he was at least 6 mon.   Anyone else deal with allergies and have any advice?  Can infants this age get allergy testing, the pr i ck (figured i wouldn't be able to use that word!) to see what they're allergic to? That makes the most sense, otherwise I'll never know what it is that he's allergic to and I'll never be able to eat at a restaurant again!  Can you imagine me saying make sure my food is dairy,soy,nut, wheat and corn free?!   Ok, I'll stop rambling now. 
    Posted by ajuly09

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dahlia2. Show dahlia2's posts

Regarding to stop nursing or not is your own personal choice. My son (now 4) at 6 months had blood drawn and had the scratch test done at Childrens Hospital for common allergens. Egg came back positive. 1 year later we had him retested and decided to test for nuts while at it and sure enough that came back positive. Point is, if you can get the test done, do it.  They cry for about 30 secs.

Posted by ajuly09

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MzKJ. Show MzKJ's posts

One of my friends daughter turned out to be allergic to casein and whey and had stomach cramping, lots of crying and blood in her stool. The mom was breastfeeding and wanted to continue so she stuck to a strict vegan diet as was able to continue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carriefranf. Show carriefranf's posts

My daughter had dairy and soy protein allergy, diagnosed when she was about a month old.  I started out eliminating everything dairy and soy, even trace amounts, and we had success very quickly.  We re-introduced when she turned a year, and she's been totally fine!  I've got some thoughts, and a bunch of recipes, in a rough-draft website here:
    Hope some of this material might be useful!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennessy73. Show jennessy73's posts

Posted by ajuly09

My DD (3 nephews and niece) also had that problem starting as early as 8 weeks. My nieces and nephews were BF, and I FF my daughter.  Luckily, when I had my daughter, I knew what to be aware of.  It was a milk protein allergy.  It does not show up in allegy testing.  They can do a blood allergy test for a milk allergy, but it will be negative most likely.  In most cases you can FF with certain formulas that are expensive but most insurance covers it or if you want to BF, you can go on a very restrictive diet cutting out all dairy.  They usually outgrow the allergy by a year old, but in my dd's case she has not outgrown it and probably never will.  She is 2 1/2 now and is also allergic to soy so she has to drink rice milk.  Oh well.  Good Luck

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for all the stories, makes me feel like I'm not alone!  
    Carrie- thanks for the link! I've been missing cookies/cake, good to have some recipes.  Though, it's probably better that I don't make these things if I want to fit back in my jeans anytime soon!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

ajuly, you will wish I didn't tell you but a brand called "Enjoy Life" makes amazingly good allergen-free chocolate chips, and "Spectrum" makes a vegatable shortening that is also free of dairy and soy. Together they make chocolate chip cookies so good you will not ever lose the baby weight. ;)

Both are at Whole Foods.

Carrie, I wish I'd had your recipe blog about 19 months ago!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

yum! thanks!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from klemke. Show klemke's posts

Posted by ajuly09

Hi again, AJuly!

Just checking in to see if you got any results or further information about your baby's blood in his stool?  I was glad to hear your reply that he is not, like my son, in any obvious pain from whatever is causing it.  From the limited experience with other people's children, the eczema seems to indicate an allergy as opposed to a "sensitivity" or intolerance.  But, I am not really sure...

Anyway, I really hope you are still happily breastfeeding and all is going much better in that department for your baby, at least in terms of reacting to an allergen.  In case it's not going so well and you have switched to formula (or are thinking about it), I wanted to let you know that your insurance should cover the cost of all formula you are prescribed by your doctor.  So, for example, in my son's case he was on Alimentum (an over-the-counter formula anyone can buy on the shelves at CVS.)  I literally just got a prescription from my doctor, filled it at the pharmacy counter, and they collected a one month supply for me; only adding prescription sticker labels to the cans and charging my insurance.  There was no co-pay and absolutely no out-of-pocket cost to me.  All of this was because of the blood in the stool (I am pretty sure that's the triggering event that will force insurance to cover the formula.) So, while I was devastated to make the decision to stop 
    BF'ing, (I had worked SO hard at it! I cried when I decided to stop), it was such a nice thing to not have to worry about the high cost of formula; especially since in the case of Alimentum, it's much more expensive than regular formula. 

I'm telling you this because you should be aware that your formula should be covered by your insurance. Just get your pediatrician to send over the prescription and you're all set.

Another thing, my nephew had eczema, vomitting, diarrhea, visible blood in stool, and also couldn't sleep comfortably at night. In his particular case he turned out to have so many allergies:  milk, nuts, soy, seeds, eggs (poor baby!) and yet his parents kept him on regular milk formula for over a year; and the poor kid suffered, vomitting many times daily.   Your baby probably doesn't have such a long list of food issues, but there are formulas out there even for a baby like my nephew.  Alimentum might not have been right for a baby like my nephew because it was still cow's milk based, but something called Neocate probably would have worked because it is even "bigger gun" than Alimentum (what I used for my son).  Just rest assured that if you were advised to switch to formula, there is a formula out there that can help your baby.  I'd ask your pediatrician if Alimentum or Neocate might be the right ones. And, I'd even test them out by buying one can first and seeing how he does with them.

I hope you didn't have to resort to formula, but either way you deserve all the credit for doing what's best for your baby and trying to stick out the BF'ing so valiantly.  It's a really tough situation to have to be in and I applaud you for all your hard work at sticking with it! And, it will get better!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, you posted this at the exact right time. This week was supposed to be the week that I brought his stools in for testing to see if there is still blood, and well yesterday there was so no reason to send it off to the lab if I can SEE the blood... called the pedi and she prescribed him Alimentum, I just picked up the 10 cans, for free (thank god!)  and am struggling to get him to take the bottle.  I've been crying on and off all day because I really pictured myself BF for a lot longer.  I'm actually starting to like it and I feel like it gives DS and myself a good connection.  I'm supposed to pump (and dump i guess) for the next two weeks to see if the formula makes a difference.   
      He hardly takes a bottle, so if I do use this formula he will A. not be getting adequate nutrition bc he only takes an ounce or two  and B. not sleep well since he's not eating.  We just got him on a better sleep schedule and I'm finally getting more than a few hours of sleep, I don't want to mess it up.  
      I'm willing to cut out wheat and corn and give it another try to see if it clears up (i'll be eating nothing but it's a risk i'm willing to take), but my pedi never suggested it and really wants him on the formula.  
      Also pumping AND feeding is going to take a toll on me, also we're going away for 10 days on saturday and pumping on vaca every few hours is not going to be fun...  
     We have an appt. with a GI but not for 3 weeks, so they can't help me either.  I'm really torn about what to do...  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - I'm so sorry this hasn't turned out better!!  Yet!  I hope it will still work out.  Wish I had some advice, but just wanted to tell you I'm/we're here for you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for the support Fram!   I gave up on the formula, he only took 1 oz in 7 hrs and I was sick of him starving, i'm not strong enough to continue like this for days. Back to BF for now..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

I went through hell with E and that.

To be totally honest, cutting out foods and being the food police destroyed my will to live.  Putting my daughter on the prescription amino acids formula was among the best decisions I've ever made.  No advantage to breastfeeding could outweigh the peace I felt at the blood leaving her stool and that she was FINALLY gaining weight.  Or that I could stop resenting her for all of the militant dietary hell I put myself through and could get back to just loving on my daughter.

It sucks when they go to solids, though, because then you have to be an allergy police for them.  I was so relieved when E outgrew her allergies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

just writing to offer a *hug* With #1 I didn't have many concerns outside of gas, with #2 we had bad eczema around 7 weeks and I was thinking it was allergies.  The pedi said to keep an eye on it.  It cleared up with lotion, so that might be something to try (I never used Aveno products before but now swear by them since they helped her so much!, my beautiful baby girl is all cleared up with that lotion!).  Anyway, regarding oversupply, it will even out, but even with #2 it took me to about 10 weeks, and then there is a bit of an issue any time baby's schedule changes.  Definitely don't fall into the trap of pumping to get rid of the excess because your body will continue to produce (I think Kelly Mom is clear on that).  In any case, hang in there and I hope things resolve with your little one soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm not saying this to correct anyone, just curious.  It's my understanding that true eczema never goes away.  Is the "eczema" that some babies get different?
    DH has eczema, but no other allergies that usually go along with it, so hopefully DD is in the clear.

ETA: Just read in Parents magazine that one study showed 85% of kids with eczema outgrew it by age 9, so I guess it can go away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from klemke. Show klemke's posts

HI again

First, Ajuly, I totally know what you are going through.  If stopping BF'ing, you will feel a loss. Almost like a death in the family (I don't mean to be overdramatic, but it really is sad to stop BF'ing and it's like losing a close friend. I cried and cried, believe me.)

One thing to consider...I want to be careful putting out false information, but I seem to remember one of the physicians (pediatrician or GI, I can't remember who) telling me that breastmilk itself might just not be tolerated because, it is after all, MILK.  Unlike the special hypoallergenic formulas that are tweeked to make a baby be able to tolerate it better, breastmilk comes in its original form.  So a baby who can't break down milk protein probably won't break down breast milk either.  Can a baby outgrow this problem and just keep on breastfeeding?  I'm not sure.  Maybe then waiting it out for a few more weeks/months might make sense, even with the blood.  

But check again with your pediatrician about this question, and whether it might be detrimental to your son to keep breastfeeding if, no matter what the cause, he keeps having blood.  If this is just a benign condition that won't cause him any long term health problems, that might make you feel better about just continuing to BF.  But I'd check that out.

Your baby will eventually be able to take a bottle.  If you are still encouraged to give Alimentum or some other formula by your baby's doctor, I'd keep trying with that bottle.  He will learn; he won't be the first baby to resist a bottle and then eventually learn to enjoy one.

And, pumping and feeding is HORRIBLE.  I totally remember I became a shell of a person when I was trying to pump, feed, bottle, etc.  

I had a third baby 4 months ago and when BFing didn't go well, I switched to formula right away.  It's not something I could tolerate having two young active children.  I felt sad for about an hour, got my rest, and decided to jump right back into life with a new attitude.  I'm okay about the formula and tried not to dwell.

You deserve to have a good life and be a happy mommy.  Your child's health is of paramount importance but you also are entitled to be happy, well-rested and content, too.  I agree with another poster about feeling "resentment" about having to police your diet, etc.  Life with a baby is hard enough without having to perform superhuman feats just to get through your day.  

That's surviving, but it's NOT living.

***Hugs***

Klemke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Klemke- what a nice post! You really hit the nail on the head about everything. Being told to stop BF (at least for now) was like telling me to cut my arm off, and I never ever thought I'd have that reaction to it.  I also wonder what the consequences are if I go a bit longer and see how DS does and see if the blood is still there. Over the past few days I haven't seen it as much as I did last week.  I'm still wondering if it's soy b/c I  was taking a prenatal with soy in it after I cut out soy (didn't realize).  To be honest, cutting food out of my diet right now is okay as long as I have the food around that I can eat. Lots of trips to WF and TJ's.   He's doing a bit better with the bottle, so hopefully he just gets better at it, esp. since I'll be back to work in Aug.   
       Thanks again for the nice response, it really made me feel better!  I am sure by kid #2 I will feel differently about the formula too. I can't imagine sitting and BF while a toddler is running around the house needing my attention!  I give props to all the moms that do it! :0 ) 

Sections
Shortcuts