Introduction!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

Introduction!

Hi everyone!
    I'm moving to Boston this summer from Halifax, NS! My husband will be going to school there and we're super excited. We have a 20 month old daughter, Sophie (born Sept 08) and will be looking to meet other parents in the area, with children in the same general age range.
    We won't know a SOUL when we get there, and I've never even been to the city! So I'd love to start chatting to some area moms and also get idea of things we can do as a family when we get there!
    Looking forward to getting to know you all!
    Victoria

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: Introduction!

Welcome to the Boston area!

The parents here are a great group of people. Chime in on any conversation and ask any questions.

There are lots of great areas to live and be part of the neighborhood community. There's a post recently from someone looking for a kid friendly neighborhood.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Hi Victoria - I grew up in Sydney, college in Halifax and have been in the Boston area for ~10 years.  I also have a Feb '08 daughter and expecting a August '10 son... feel free to drop me a line privately and I'm happy to help you in any way I can - Shauna

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hi Victoria - I'm from Saint John, New Brunswick, have been in Boston for 13 years, and have a son who is much younger than your daughter (he's almost 6 months) but am happy to give advice/help, as well.

(Canukgrl, I didn't know you were from the Maritimes, too.  My grandmother was born in Sydney.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My entire family on my mom's side is from PEI -- can I join?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Who knew there were so many Canadian Maritimers on here - I feel even more at home than before :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Um... I like PEI potatoes!  Does that count?  Just a born and raised Massachusetts native here.  Welcome Victoria!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I just planted summer savory in my yard to remind myself of PEI. I haven't attempted Lupins yet, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

Oh wow, maritimer power! Haha. We've only lived in Halifax for 4 years, both DH and I were raised in (dreaded) Ontario. He's in the Navy and being sponsored at MIT.
    Would love to get to know you all better!
    Since we're still deciding where to live, can I find out which neighbourhoods you live in and if you like them or not?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What are some characteristics in a city/town/suburb you're looking for?  How far do you want to be from Boston?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

Hubby will be going to MIT so I suppose first choice to be a very quick commute or even a walk to the school.  He'll be doing a Masters program so I know that we'll already be seeing little of him, I don't want to lose more time to the commute!
    We've been looking at Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Charlestown, even Quincy (it's just on the othher end of the red line). We want a nice, friendly neighbourhood, like we live in now. But we know that it's not a perfect world and we're going to have to live with what we can find, maybe! Hopefully what we can find is nice!
    Open to more suggestions, areas you and/or your family may live and can recommend!
    Victoria

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi Victoria,

My DH did the MIT gig as well. We had friend who lived in Quincy [who coincidentially is moving back to the Boston area in June and has joined the teaching staff for the MIT program].  Their commute was abysmal. They regretted buying in Quincy.  My DH lived in Cambridge, about a 5 minute walk outside of Harvard Square.  There is tons of stuff in that area. Talk to the Navy folks at MIT; they can hook you up w/ realtors, etc who can help you find something. 

If you want family friendly neighborhoods, look at Cambridge, Brookline, Charlestown and Somerville.  It's also worth checking out Brighton.  We had another friend who had a family and they had a good sized house in Brighton w/ a yard. There are some skeezy neighborhoods in Brighton, so shop carefully, but the 86 bus will bring you right into Harvard Square where he can hop on the Red Line.  Watertown is also a possibility, but it won't be as easy a commute. 

Good luck! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from v1ct0r1a. Show v1ct0r1a's posts

hey, thanks! great advice. we've been debating the idea of Quincy... the metro website says it would only be a 35min ride on the T, but we were still skeptical. Thank you.
    Brighton, I don't believe we've looking into that, but will!
    We wont be buying as we're still Canadian residents and to do that would be WAY more hassle than renting for two years, which is subsidized for us anyway, so even much more affordable. So that's a bit of a reliefe, that we won't have to look into anything as an investment, but rather just a nice place to live (it will also be an adjustment to go from homeowners to renters again and not have that responsability!).
    Keep the suggestions coming, I love this!

And you all sound so nice! One thing I constantly hear about Boston is that the city is beautiful and everyone there is great! Probably a lot like the maritimes! (Coming from Ontario where no one gives you the time of day!)

Victoria

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

They will be more of a pain commute wise [ie, you will need to drive and parking at MIT is a huge hassle] but you may consider looking at Newton, Concord, Arlington, Lincoln, Lexington and other places around Hanscom AFB.  Many people in the program live out in that area.  As a bonus, it's near the commissary.  lol.  Personally, if a short/easy commute is what you really want, I'd stick w/ the areas of Cambridge, Arlington, Brighton, Newton, and Charlestown. 

The ride from Quincy to Harvard Square may take 35min on a perfect day, but you are looking at upwards of 45 minutes most days.  If I were going to commute for about an hour each way every day, I'd drive and look west of the city toward Concord, Lexington, etc.  Coming in on Rt. 2 or the Turnpike is much less of a hassle than having to deal w/ the tunnel or Rt 93.  The commute from the South Shore is absolutely brutal [driving more so than taking the T].  Avoid it if you can.  Good luck. 

ETA: Realtors can also help you find rentals.  My DH used one and found a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 level apt in an old Victorian w/ free parking and it was a 5 min. walk from Harvard Square.  Pricewise, it was well w/in the housing allotment.  It was in a very nice residential neighborhood and the other 3 neighbors were very pleasant.  Again, talk to the Navy people at MIT, they will hook you up w/ realtors  and give you other info about finding a good place to live in the area. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Somerville and the South Shore communities are not "friendly" for "outsiders" which you will be forever.

The communities ALF lists are friendlier and more inviting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Some parts of Somerville are friendlier than others -- Davis Square is one of the most expensive and desirable places in the area. And the  Beacon/Prospect/Cambridge area is amazing -- great shops, great food.

I can't think of any bad parts of Brighton -- although maybe Kar is thinking of Allston as the bad part of Brighton. Brighton is great! Terrific playgroups, nice parks, nice people, lots of parking, and lots of babies.

If you see some places you like, you might want to plug them into the  MBTA trip planner. http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_planner/ That will give you an idea of how long the commute to MIT and other parts of town are. If your husband is at MIT proper, you can use "Kendall" as the end point in your search.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Welcome!!  And good luck to you as you begin your search and move!

I was also going to suggest Arlington, I lived there for a bit (single, though, so I didn't have the kid/family factor) but I think they have great neighborhoods, parks, sidewalks for walking, easy access to trains, buses, highways, and their downtown has a lot of great shops and restaurants.   Also I highly reccommend Melrose.   I LOVE LOVE it there.  VERY family friendly, and has lots of the same things I mentioned for Arlington.   Lots of parks, playgrounds and areas for hiking and walking.  Also great neighborhoods, and both towns have plenty of of opportunities for you to meet other moms (ie: through moms groups) for those times when your DH is busy.      Good Luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Kar--I wouldn't generalize that the south shore communities will ostracize anyone for being an outsider.  That's simply not true.  Victoria, don't think that there's an immediate sentiment of intolerance for anyone who was not born or raised here.  You know as well as anyone that it could happen anywhere and while I'm sure it has happened in some south shore towns or Somerville to some people that the same thing can and will happen in all of the towns in the U.S.  People are just like that.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think that most people are friendly when you wave a baby at them. That's why we strap them to our chests -- for protection.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

ALF probably knows best since her DH was in the same position. 

I have to say as a South Shore resident I'm not really sure what Kar is referring to.  I live in a nice neighborhood where maybe 1/2 the residents are "from" the area.  Everyone is always really nice, filling others in on new things that they discover or have known about for a long time.  I suppose that there are odd/unfriendly people, but the same as there would be anywhere else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Kar, I'm an "outsider" living in one South Shore community and working in another.  I don't feel like an outsider or a stranger and have found several great area activities for DS.  I will say, Victoria, that DH did the whole red line commute from Braintree into Boston for a while (not exactly the same stops you are talking about with Quincy-MIT, but the same line and route) and it was a bear.  I do think there are lots of fun activities for a young family in Quincy, with great access to Boston, highways, parks, etc., but it definitely could be a challenging commute.  Given what you are looking for and describing, I second the votes for Charlestown and Somerville as great bets.  I lived in Brookline for a while and it is a fabulous community and a great place for a young family, but you may want to check neighborhoods vs. bus routes for getting over to MIT.  Although it is a quick drive, on public transportation it could get complicated if you aren't near a good bus route. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Parking in Brookline is rough too, isn't it? I think they have some weird rules about leaving your car on the street over night. It's a great neighborhood, though -- nice parks, nice babies.

If the OP can swing it expense-wise, I think Cambridge is the best bet. It's so awesome, there's tons of stuff to do, people are friendly so it will be easy to just show up and start making friends, and you can take the T everywhere so you won't have to worry about the incomprehensible maze of streets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I live in Quincy, and work right across the street from MIT. I agree that what is touted as a 35 minute commute on the Red Line is most often 45 minutes door to door, and sometimes even longer. However, I find Quincy to be a great place to live. I think that the people are friendly, but reserved - They won't come out as a welcome wagon, but if you want to try and connect, joining the YMCA has been a great way for me to meet other families with toddlers ( my DD is 18 months and we take a waterbabies class at the Y). But definitely take advantage of the resources at MIT as far as help in finding a place to live, and also they can help with finding daycare if you will need daycare for your daughter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm glad to know it's not all that way!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Oh - And while I don't consider myself an outsider (I moved to Quincy after college, so I've been there 10 + years) I am by no means a "native" New Englander.