Is 16 months too young to potty train?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Is 16 months too young to potty train?

Yesterday, when we picked up DD from daycare, they told us that after lunch, when the other kids were being taken to use the potty, she wanted to participate. So they took off her diaper, and let her sit on the potty, and she went p00p. Now, she is not quite 16 months, and while I had been thinking that potty training was probably the next big milestone, I was floored, because I thought I had at least another 8 months to think about/research potty training. She is still too young to take off her own pants, which I thought was kind of important, but should I get her a potty, since she seems to be keen on following the example of the bigger kids in daycare? I don't want to rush her, but at the same time, if she is ready, I don't want to drag my feet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Is 16 months too young to potty train?

I have a Russian friend who became a US citizen as an adult, and he said it was the norm there to start potty training at about 12 months.  He was floored when he found out that people here don't start until so much later!  Maybe it's more cultural than physiological?

P.S.  I can't imagine it would hurt her if she wants to do it, now.  Why squelch that drive? LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I don't think so, I got my now 2yo a potty around that time... she's shown varying degrees of interst and success with it, but just recently is starting to have some regular success.  I think there are actually biological reasons why we potty train when we do, so while she has the potty, we're really just letting her take the lead with it for now.  (BTW same thing, she tries when the other kids do at daycare)

In England, they potty train BY 12 months, but I think  it's more the parents being in tune with the child and it's needs than potty training the way we think of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgal8203. Show bgal8203's posts

It can't hurt to get a potty seat, it seems she wants to try, and at least you'll have it around to encourage her. 

She'll let you know if she wants to use it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

There was a recent post entitled "Potties" that you should look for...last post was just in the last week or so.  Lots of good info.

My mother had me and my siblings trained BY 2 years.  I think that, culturally, there has been a shift in the US toward later training, and I think this is out of sync with most of the rest of the world.

I'm going to try to start getting my 9 month olds accustomed to the potty in the next couple of weeks (after being inspired by the other thread).  I would say that if your daughter is interested, embrace it and encourage it.  Even if she's not fully-trained for a while, at least she'll start getting the hang of it and then you can start pushing toward full training when the time is right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I definitely don't think it's too early to start.  My DD will be 2 next month, and we got her a potty when she was 15 months or so, for the same reason you cited:  she was interested when the older kids at daycare went.  She had sporadic success with it, but has definitely been getting better about asking to use it BEFORE she goes in her diaper.  It certainly can't hurt to get a potty and jsut let her use it when/if she wants to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Between 15 and 18 months, children's bladders start to become mature enough to hold urine for up to 2.5 hours, muscle relaxed to go and tighter to  not go, so they do not often let loose without knowing it. 

By 2 to 2.5 years, all but a very small number can be toilet trained except during night time sleeping hours.  They can now get to a reasonably close bathroom or ask at least 2-5 minutes in advance of needing one, provided they are not given caffeinated beverages or laxitive foods.

When your child takes an interest is best.  Day Care and visiting kids help.  It also does not hurt for Mommy to let girl or boy child be in the bathroom when Mommy goes sometimes (or Daddy for boys only).

They get an idea this is what happens behind the closed door, you excuse yourself from what you are doing,  go do it, wash,  go back to previous activity.

Do a time schedule survey at home for a week.  Put child on at first wake up,  after breakfast or up to 2 hours, and about every 2 hours.  Write down if wet in between.

Meals follow a pattern.  Toileting at wake up, after breakfast, mid morning, just before lunch so not wetting while eating,  an hour or more after that when meal is digesting but before naptime. etc.
    Realize that anytime a child, like a racehorse, has a sudden burst of intense activity for a half hour to 40 minutes,  they make urine  very quickly, and need the extra offer to take a quick potty break.

This is why the parent experiences-  "I  took her to the toilet, got her jacket on, we went out, she ran around for just a half hour, then asks to go."
    Honor it.  This is how child learns the "need to go" feeling that will later on even wake them up at night to go.
    Bring her in to go, then back out, so she knows, fun does not stop when I ask to go potty.  It is a 5 minute break,  then more fun.

If child is ready, you should have about 60 percent or more success, and get an idea of how often child actually goes  withint a week or 2 full weekends of data.
        Post yourself a schedule -  by event (before nap, after nap)  or times (between 10 and 10:15 am) so all in house know to check.

Child Development studies 1950 through 1990's showed fewer than 5% trained 14 waking hours of day, by 15 months, 20 % by 18 months, 40% by 20 months, 65% by 24 months, and 91% by 18 months.
    Girls average 2 months before boys.

Remaining 9%,  2 % normal but slower developing milestones, including when they walked and talked,  and the other 7 %  were significantly retarded or developmentally delayed.

I got out my Ilg and Ames  Dev. studies from 50's to 1970's and 1980,  and a Nursing text update from 10 years ago  for these statistics..

Since 1995 the fashion has been to train later.   Some kids not trained until 3 or 4  end up  high incidence wetters up through school age.

There is such a thing as developmental readiness,  and these kids whom parents delayed  training, missed the boat.

Note -  after 1960, many of the kids studied were in day care or half time nursery school, early intervention.
        Not a phenomenon of day care that suddenly some parents trendily decided do it later,  but a tolerance for a very prolonged infancy and childhood.

An old red flag to test a kid for retardation used to be still not full TT by 28 months, for over 40 years of documentation.

You are delayed thinking about this.  Your child is right on track.

The 4 toddler twins in this house, not mine,  (2 sets) were time schedule started by Moms 18 to 20 months, and not 1 diaper in sight past 20 to 21 months  just weeks after  the 2 moms started real TT with rewards, asking kids to let them know.

Both girls started within a week of being seated, either asking or announcing as they wet diaper, looking stricken.  No comment, just a " next time you tell me, I will hurry you there."   Boys took a week to 3 weeks to always ask in time.

Now none of the 22 month old B + G or almost 25 month B+G have had an accident even nights for over a month.  Parents carry them to the pot at 11 pm to - midnight, and 6 am, and put them back to bed in 5 min, always go.    So easy for the babysitters, like me, who sometimes have the Fearsome Foursome together.  :)

Who loves diapers?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Assuming a develpmentally average kid, not special needs--

If the kid is not speaking well enough to clearly communicate the need to go when you are not at home, then I'd hold off a little bit.  Otherwise you've got a half-potty trained kid who uses the toilet at home and poops in a diaper in the car.

If the kid can recognize the need and get there on his/her own, to the actual toilet or a potty seat in the bathroom, then why not?  But if it means camping out on the potty every hour to "try," for weeks on end, or not leaving the house and going around in training undies and no pants for months on end, or if Mom has to recognize the potty dance or decipher the grunt and run the kid to the bathroom, then the kid isn't trained, Mom is.

Between two and two and a half worked for all three of mine.   Also, I recommend the toddler seat that snaps on the real toilet instead of the potty chair.  If you prefer the chair, put it in the bathroom.  Adults don't relieve themselves in a bucket in the living room, neither should kids.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

People DON'T put them in the BATHROOM?!!  That's DISGUSTING.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amor. Show amor's posts

funny, I haven't done the research yet, but this thread is a great summary. I had it in the back of my head that we'd get a potty by his 1yr birthday.  He can sit up and stand up, so I figured he could be close to ready...I'll look for the other signs too, but it can't hurt to have the potty there. Thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - I was just thinking the same thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

If she's showing an interest because she sees her friends at school doing it, then there's no harm in putting her on the potty and encouraging that interest, although at this age it will be more about YOU remembering to get her to the potty than her taking any actual initiative. I'd say though be prepared for the possiblity that she would lose interest later on and you'll have to "retrain." My son showed a lot of interest around age 2 so we pulled out the training potty -- he subsequently lost interest so we put it away again until he was 2 1/2 and beginning to show interest again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Yup.  Not only do people put the potty chairs outside the bathroom, I've even seen advice that says put one in the kitchen in case the kid has to go while they are in there with you. 

Daughter's friend for example.  The day after her second birthday, they were Potty Training.  After dinner the kid would parade her potty out of wherever it was kept, into the living room, take off her pants in front of whoever was around including guests, and sit for a while.  Then she and Mommy would ceremoniously look in and see if there was anything there.  I never saw any "result," but if there was, Mom was cleaning excrement out of a bucket while corralling a toddler with a dirty behind in the living room where there is neither toilet paper nor a sink.

This went on for a year and she was not fully potty trained (diaper and pull-up free during the day) until she was three.  We got tsk-tsk'ed for not starting my daughter sooner, but at about two years four months we spent a couple of days with her piddling all over the floor on the way to the bathroom and were pull-up free at home in about a week.  She wore them just in case when we were out for a few weeks after that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Oh, purple cow, how disgusting  those people were.

Setting a poor example of what they want from the child long term, unhygienic, rude to everyone in the vicinity as well.

You were right.  Success is not putting on a public performance after your servants bring a royal throne to where ever you are.

It is about getting yourself to the right place, and increasing awareness (sometimes, by almost but not quite making it)
    both of the feeling, I need to go,  and communicating  the need to drop what you are doing and head to a bathroom.  Success there, praised, and followed by a lovely playful hand washing, after the paperwork.

Kids still not talking clearly who have that much  understanding, can learn to raise an arm and wave it  for Mom to help get them there.    But once a child has the control physically to hold it a couple of hours,  even the passive learning  about all the socially appropriate stuff is as important as making a deposit.

What were these people thinking?

When that child gets to her teens, I wonder what demure and modest behavior she will use to get  her  parents and others' attention, or publicly defy them?

Think Britney Spears, and child stars whose parents took a wrong turn in childrearing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

So, the fact that I just found my daughter standing on a chair in the kitchen, holding a bag of bread and bare bottomed it bad?  lol.

To the OP - If daycare is taking her to the potty then run with it!  My son's daycare didn't help with potty training unless you initiated it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I totally disagree with those who think pottying is only for the bathroom.  The entire point of potty training early (which I think a lot of people have missed here) is reawakening the awareness of elimination in our babies and toddlers.  This means you need to put a potty everywhere so that they can get to it quickly; that there is an association with the need to pee/p oo p and the desire to not pee/p oo p on themselves but in the potty.  The whole point is not WHERE in the house they go but realizing that they NEED to go.  Once they've got it down, they will be able to signal sooner that they need to potty and you can then get them to the bathroom.

My soap-box has Elimination Communication written all over it so that is where my perspective/philosophy is coming from.

And going potty in the privacy of your own kitchen/living room etc is certainly not "public."

Purplecow's friend obviously missed the point of potty training, that it was a spectacle to get the parent's attention thus worthy of "parading" and not a normal part of life, somewhere along the line and is the exception and not the rule.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think they tried it because she still hadn't p00ped for the day, and followed them into the potty. She pretty much wants to do everything the other kids do, so if that is part of the routine, she wouldn't want to be excluded. I have read what everyone has posted, and I think we will get her a potty for home (thanks for the potty thread, I have an idea of what to purchase). I'm not sure she has the vocab to explicitly tell me she needs to potty, but she can pretty clearly indicate when she wants something specific, so hopefully that will be enough. Also thanks for the reminders that this interest might fade before she becomes completely trained.
    Thanks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't think it's a big deal to have the potty where it's most convenient. Our bathroom is on the second floor and too small to fit a potty anyway. What, are we supposed to renovate before our kid can get trained? My parents kept the potty in the kitchen while training me, and I didn't turn into Britney Spears and I've never accidentally defecated in the sink out of confusion. People get WAY too worked up about this stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I really don't see a huge problem with keeping a potty in a more-convenient place if the bathroom isn't easy to get to.  The house the my sister and brother were potty trained in was a Victorian house built in the late 1800s.  The only bathroom was at the far end of the hall upstairs.  My parents put the potty in the formal dining room b/c it was central to the downstairs (and we only used it for holidays anyway).  And, to my knowledge neither of them have ever been confused as older children and adults about where they're supposed to go.  Neither of them have wound up like Britney Spears either.

Our house has two bathrooms next to each other on the first floor (it's a long story, but it works) and a half bathroom off our bedroom on the 2nd floor.  You can be sure that when potty training starts in earnest, there will be potties in THEIR bedroom on the 2nd floor as well as in at least one of the downstairs bathrooms.

ETA:  I know of many parents who keep a potty in the car during potty training as well.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In the kitchen is disgusting or in the living room with onlooking guests, I don't care how far removed the bathroom might be.  No one today has an outhouse, right?  I can see the car.  Car rides can be long and rest stops few and far between, but upstairs?  Down the hall?  Are people kidding?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Whoah, I accidentally just ripped off my thong to defecate in my desk drawer! THANKS A LOT, MOM!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I saw a program that exposed the fact that everything in the bathroom has fecal bacteria on it.  Put that in your desk drawer and smoke it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I love Philip Tierno. My friends and I keep a running tally of the number ot times he says "bathed in feces." You wouldn't believe what he found on movie theatre seats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd rather not have my kitchen tools resemble the toilet brush, but to each his own.  Yes, I get it's everywhere but having the kid p00p repeatedly in the kitchen can't help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

Well, a lot of the spread of fecal bacteria happens because of the spray (seen and unseen) from flushing the toilet. In theory, this wouldn't be the case with a potty in the living room.

Just to be devil's advocate.