Is 16 months too young to potty train?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Is 16 months too young to potty train?

Your kitchen is already the dirtiest room in the house: http://health.msn.com/womens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100123457

You'd do better to leave the potty there and prepare your lunch in the bathroom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

There are germs and bacteria and nastiness EVERYWHERE.  And that is a good thing most of the time.  People who are exposed to lots of germs have immune systems that can deal with them.  We're not talking about dumping the potty contents out in the middle of the living room floor and painting the walls with it.  We're talking about a kid doing what he/she needs to do in the potty, which, most of the time is just going to be pee (and for what it's worth, pee is sterile).  Other times, when it's more than that, the child will be wiped, the potty (and wiping materials) removed, the contents flushed--usually with the child looking on, the potty rinsed out and then everyone will wash their hands.

Aside from my stint changing an exploding diaper in a restaurant, we regularly change diapers in the middle of our family room floor.  We don't change diapers in the bathroom at home and we don't have a changing table.  In addition, we bathe the kids in a little tub (made for washing dishes in) in our kitchen sink.  We remove their diapers just before the bath in the kitchen.  When the bath is over, we dump the bath water down the kitchen sink, and dry the kids off on towels on the kitchen counter. 

I promise you, not containing potty-ing to the bathroom is not going to cause long-term damage to anyone.  As long as you're reasonably "clean" about the whole process and resist the urge to play with the potty contents, no one is going to get sick, and no harm will be done.  It would be much less sanitary for a potty-training child to have an accident (not pee) in his/her pants and then sit on the floor than to use the potty in a room other than the bathroom.

How do all of you who are so afraid of germs manage on a daily basis?  Do you use tissues when you touch door handles?  Are you constantly washing or purell-ing your hands? Do you not shake hands with people?  Do you walk around with surgical masks? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fantastic, you win, it's wonderful to have your kid p00p on the kitchen counter 'cause the kitchen is dirty anyway.  You win, anyway, just for the sake of ending the conversation.  You win.  You win.  You win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If the kid can climb up onto the counter, I think he's too old for a portable potty. If he takes a dump on the counter, he needs a therapist. I like how you think, though -- the two available choices are limited to a) potty in the bathroom, or b) free-for-all fecal assault on every surface.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My kids have never p00ped on the kitchen counter.  My kitchen is reasonably clean most of the time anyway.  I'm just asking people to have a little common sense and not be so reactionary about every single bodily function.  Babies are dirty and messy and you can't always control everything that happens with them.  You will learn that eventually. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Daisy75, you might not be "talking about dumping the potty contents out in the middle of the living room floor and painting the walls with it," but I sure am! Once I got a taste (literally) of the non-bathroom excremental lifestyle, nothing could sate my longing for free and unbridled defecation!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey amy - to get back on track here, you should try using the sign for potty as well as the word.  The ASL sign for potty is make a fist and then stick your thumb between your index and middle finger and twist your hand a bit.  Make this sign, then help her make it by forming the sign for her hand and say the word potty.  Do the sign when you are on the potty, when she wants to potty, when you think she may be going in her diaper, etc.

We've been doing a bit of baby signing with my 10 month old DS and he's getting the jist of it so I'm sure your toddler will hop right on board.  Or potty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Just a fist and raised arm wave is what most real deaf children are taught before the formed hand sign,  works just fine for most kids because it gets attention.

And I can see a potty in a bedroom if need be, like a commode for an elderly or non-ambulatory person, or even for the car,  all for when there is no available bathroom.

But kitchen or living room?

We don't slaughter meat to be cooked or pluck ducks and chickens in the kitchen,   and laundry is not done in tubs there  any more.  Nor Saturday night baths.

Only a lazy Mom needs them scattered all over.

Ask any parent who has ever had a naked from the bath toddler make a streaking run or head for the front door, starkers,  and you will know,  child can make it from the bathroom to the front door in under 20 seconds.  So they can do it just as fast, going to the bathroom.

8 of us in a 3 floor old farm house managed  just fine, potty seat on the toilets  only.
    What is the problem?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

How quickly do they run while doing the "pee pee dance?"  In my experience, it's not quite as easy.

I just get really annoyed with all of the people here these days w/o children who seem to think they're experts about how I should raise mine and have a holier-than-thou attitude about everything and take things way too seriously.

Sincerely,
    Laziest mother ever--apparently

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Lemon, I literally just spit out my coffee.  I am definitely going to try to use "unbridled" in a sentence today, because it is awesome word-choice and should be celebrated.  

And, Jiminy Crickets, but the potty wherever it works for YOUR household.  If I walk in and am horrified, I can decline the next dinner invite.  

Out of curiosity, I see litter boxes in all manner of non-bathroom places.  Isn't that just as bad?  And at least your kids don't WALK through the potty, then jump on the couch.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Are we seriously going to compare cats to babies?  Please. FWIW, my cat's litter box is in the bathroom in the spare bedroom and we refer to that bathroom as Charlie's bathroom. 

The whole point of potty training is to train a child to use the toilet in the bathroom, not just get them out of diapers.  I don't see how or why it would be so difficult to do this by training them that the bathroom is where one goes #1 and #2 and therefore those activitites by toilet trained individuals only occur in the bathroom, not in a pot in the kitchen, living room, hallway, etc.  Chamber pots went by the wayside once indoor plumbing was invented. Once that happened, toilet trained people [other than invalids confined to a bed] use the porcelain throne in the bathroom. 

Of course you change diapers in places other than the bathroom. That's why they sell changing tables at Babies R Us b/c most people realize that in home bathrooms you don't have the necessary surface space to lay a child down and change his/her diaper. 

Growing up, we had 1 toilet in a house w/ 5 people. We had a little yellow plastic toilet in the bathroom that we used while potty training [I distinctly remember it b/c my sisters are 5 and 8 years younger than I am.  Our bathroom was by no means large and we managed.

Then again, being a non mom, I'm apparently clueless as to how these things work.

BTW, seeing as you know many of the "childless" people here that you are casting asperions on are on the TTC boards and freaking trying like MAD to get pg, telling them that their thoughts or opinions on the subject of children are useless b/c they haven't yet managed to carry a child to term and birth it is really lovely.  I didn't realize that the child came out of the uterus w/ a secret instruction packet that  gave you special insight on how to raise children.  Most of it is common sense, which you don't need to birth a baby to have.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't need to have kids to know it's possible to do the inconvenient, difficult thing all the time in the name of being responsible, GOOD parents.  My mom potty trained me without putting potties all over the house and so did her mom.  DH's family was the same, and our home will be no different; he would not tolerate that even if I would, kids or no kids yet I KNOW that.  The thing is if you find it's too hard for you after you have kids it's too late to do anything about it and you're stuck having to justify putting little potties in every room.  I wonder what else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

There are certain things one can only fully understand in a non-text-book kind of way when one is dealing with it.  Been there done that w/TTC and TTC did not teach me how to be a parent.  Just because I read contracts all day long at work does not make me a lawyer.  Being a parent has taught me how to be a parent.  Apparently I have different opinions and methods than you plan to use and that's fine.  You can do what works for you when the time comes.  In the meantime, please recognize that calling me "lazy" or referring to my parenting methods as such is extremely condescending.  I get very frustrated by the "germ police" in general and think that people get freaked out over things they don't need to (i.e. the plethora of anti-bacterial everything available these days) and I think people completely over-react about a little pee or p00 at inconvenient times in inconvenient places.  As lemonmelon has so eloquently pointed out (lemonmelon--loving you!), there are very few adults (or children over 3 or 4 for that matter) who are going to be confused about the appropriate place to go to the bathroom, and those of you who seem to think children will be confused, don't give your (future) children enough credit.  Kids are smart.  Very smart.  I promise you that if they're ever allowed to be within 50 feet of my house, they will not be irreparably damaged by the thin layer of dust and my "lazy" parenting style.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've pulled cat p00, dead rats, etc. out of my dog's mouth then washed my hands with dish soap in the kitchen sink (we don't own antibacterial soap) so I'd say I'm not a very good officer of the germ police.  I find calling me that condescending.  Yes, we'll have very different parenting styles.  Thankfully for both of us since neither sytle suits the other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--if that is the case, then WHY does it come through on here that you're so freaked out about baby p00?  A dead rat has a lot more going for it germ-wise than a little fecal bacteria floating around your house.  As does your dog's mouth for that matter (considering what he uses it for when needed).  I won't even get into dogs licking people (not saying yours does or that you let him/her lick you).  Baby p00 doesn't bother me.  My cat licking me doesn't bother me (though I usually wash my hands afterwards).  Dogs licking me or watching them lick anyone else grosses me out.  I guess we're all a little selective and subjective about all of this stuff.  So, perhaps, without trying to be condescending, it is fair to say that when you deal with something frequently--like pet gross-ness or baby gross-ness--you end up with a higher tolerance for it and less of an ick-factor about those things?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I may not have my own children (yet)  but growing up in a family with 8 kids,  and my primary source of income for years being mother's helper or babysitter to families of cousins and of nearby non-relatives
    many with 2 to 6 preschoolers at once.

I logged more hours toilet training, feeding/ cooking for, not to mention diapers, laundry and housework, than half the mothers on this board will in a lifetime, unless perhaps  Daisy and others are planning to be SAHM to at least 6 kids, and SAH grandmothers who regularly take care of most of their 36 grandchildren on a regular basis.  Aside from day care providers and pedi-nursing home workers,  not too many have more experience.

I still never have seen a need for changing a baby on a restaurant table or seat, or in someone's kitchen or living room,  and never have seen anyone else train with a potty in the living or dining room, in the 500 plus homes where I did early childhood intervention nursing, now PT and nursing.   That includes households with blind and physically handicapped little ones.

We  (2 adults  ages 30 and 75)  had a birthday party for 8  15 month to 30 month toddlers yesterday for 4 hours.  I'll give you a hint, it wasn't 4 of the kids' Grandfather who did the laps to the bathroom alongside the kids, down the hall past 2 rooms, across the entryway, about 50 feet - about  the distance from the bathroom on the floor plans of most houses.  

The 6 T Trained since Thanksgiving  are so much easier out of diapers, and I know the 2 sets of now 22 and 24 month old twins who live in our house, whom I cared for regularly throughout,  all could get themselves to the potties on the toilet, in time, after a few times of asking at the "pee pee dance" stage. 
         They learned when you do that, you leak. So they learned to pay attention sooner.  That way they get back to playtime sooner than if they toilet, wash,  need to change clothes and be washed, handwash again - 20 minutes or more, instead of 5 round trip.  Getting back to fun playtime is as rewarding to them , with of course a word of praise for big kid using the toilet - as applause from adults.  More self sustaining, too.

I think a lot of parents underestimate children.

Long before they clearly speak and express themselves, they learn a lot receptively.
         Toileting and other personal care and hygiene routines are as much about expectations when living in a society as about getting the pooh and pee in an approved container.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It doesn't bother me that much from a germ perspective, I just thought it worth mentioning that feces in the kitchen doesn't sound too appetizing.  We stand around and eat in the kitchen.  And, in my parenting style, my kids will learn the same - the kitchen is for eating, the bathroom is for pooing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I invoke the 5 second rule on a regular basis and believe that Americans in general are too apt to ask for an antibiotic when there is no need for one. I think the Purell freaks out there are nuts. A little dirt and grime  is perfectly fine. 

That being said, you do not need to actually give birth to your own child or adopt to know how to 'parent'.  You do not know the extent of people's child care experience, so please don't presume that you do.  

I never called you lazy.  I just fail to see how you are not making more work for yourself by making potty training a 2 step process. Step one being, we go in a pot, and step 2 being, we go in the bathroom. In my personal experience [and yes I do have it although it was not my own biological child], doing it in one step - we go potty in the toilet in the bathroom -is a much simpler process. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Alf--you did not call me lazy.  Whatawag wrote:  Only a lazy Mom needs [potties] scattered all over.  I take offense to that because it is extremely judgemental and illustrates a complete insensitivity to the fact that just b/c people don't parent the way she does, does not make them lazy.  Parents who choose to potty train in this way are not necessarily lazy and probably just have a different philosophy about parenting than Whatawag does.  Now...as to your statement about one step or two, it's not necessarily and all or none thing.  One can take one's child to the potty in the bathroom when that is the closest one or when there is enough time to get the kid there.  In circumstances where there is not enough time or the bathroom isn't the closest one, it's nice to have one closer to avoid accidents.  Once the child has more experience and control, the non-bathroom potties can be removed.  This is not rocket science and as you should know, most things regarding childrens are not as black and white as you are making them out to be.

Whatawag--I concede that you probably have experience and knowledge, however, I do not for one second believe that not a single one of those families never used a potty in a room other than the bathroom.  They may have removed it when people such as yourself were at their home--as a courtesy--but in my non-direct-parenting experience, MANY people keep potties in places other than the bathrooms.  Not everyone, of course, but many.  I, too, have done my share of helping parents with potty training and everyone does it differently.  In all of your experience, you should know that and recognize that.

And, for the record, to ease everyone's minds, as I said before, we have TWO full bathrooms on our first floor.  In my situation, I doubt it will be necessary to have a potty in our living room or kitchen, HOWEVER, I can certainly understand where someone who has one bathroom in an out-of-the-way place (or no bathroom) on the first floor MIGHT consider putting a potty in a place they deem appropriate.  We have only one half-bath on our second floor and it's in the master bedroom.  We WILL be putting a potty in the nursery for ease of use when it is appropriate. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.  While there are some gray areas and, to use an appropriate saying in this situation - s^it does happen and you just have to roll with it-in most instances I believe that things like this are mostly black and white.  I also still think it's more work to have the 'traveling potty' going from room to room, b/c once you train the child to use the potty, you then have to train them to use only the bathroom.  I doubt any child would get "confused" by the potty and go take a dump in someone's potted plant on a play date, but I still think it's making more work for mom by making it a 2 step process. 

People can do as they wish in their owns homes w/ their own kids. I will continue to think it a bizarre practice to regularly keep a potty in a room other than a bathroom or nursery [the room I intend to use as a nursery has an attached bath].  If I were at someone's home, I would never dream of saying anything to a mother who did keep the device in the living room or family room, but you can bet that I would say something in private to my husband later on.  Actually, he'd probably beat me to the punch when we got in the car.  I'm sure there is plenty that I do in my daily life that other people find to be bizarre - I'm going to keep on doing them and people can say what they like about me behind my back. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

As a toddler being potty trained, I used to watch tv with my mum at night before bed and sit on my potty in the living room.

I think I'm rather well adjusted and that it's not about location of the potty that would ever confuse a child as to where to go to the bathroom...that is just silly. And it's not as if I have a TV in my bathroom because that's the environment I developed my potty training skills.

Although I have not gone through the potty training experience yet, I certainly can bet I'd find it more convenient to cook dinner or clean the house while my DD sits on the potty in my view, rather than tie up more of my time and sit in the bathroom with her waiting for that magic moment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

To respond to the original poster and to ignore the flagrant banter going back and forth regarding things that are done in a unique  way from household to household, my daughter showed interest at potty training around 16-17 months.  We got her a "Mommy's Helper Step-Up Potty" which goes over your regular toilet at home (although I'm sure you could just use it over the rug or the kitchen sink or something).  We ask her if she wants to use the potty and sometimes it's a yes, sometimes a no and we let her lead.  I think that for us, it's important to let her lead and if she wants to go, she can put the potty seat over the toilet and climb up and go.  She also sees the kids at daycare going potty and I think that's why she has been showing that interest.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Going back to the previous mention of clean freaks,  and how parents who rely on constant sanitizers like Purel do kids a dis service,  I heartily agree.

I also think kids can survive in unsterile environments, and will live to play another day if they fall down in the dirt or on the floor 18 times in a toddler's day,  now to mention what they encounter while crawling on the lawn.

But I have very strong feelings that many mothers do rely on the idea of cleaning products and protecting baby this way and that,  and fail to teach the most important and effective lifetime habit, which should be introduced with toileting as part of a chain of behavior:

Washing Hands.

A very little plain old soap, and running water, and long enough to work up a little lather, penetrating pores enough to suspend particles and bacteria and viruses and cysts of parasites,  then rinse them away at the sink.

That is important.

Ever wonder when a guy cupped  your pretty face in his hands and kissed you, if he was  one who never bothers to wash in the mens' room, 6 x since his last shower, before you get together?

A major reason that men's rest room lines move so fast at public events?  Even stall users  walk by the sinks half the time or more.

There is something wrong when kids can program a VCR or TiVo, use a computer for simple music and web functions, and does not yet have the habit of handwashing after every toileting and before every meal prep.   Parental failure, often by the same parents who go to great lengths to reasearch all the best things to do for their child's health.

When you put a potty in the living room, install a sink complete with soap, warm water and towels, too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Waggie, you expect parents to stop what they're doing, run the kid down the hall to use the bathroom, wait for them to go, praise for success, and instill the habit of hand washing every time?!

Women don't wash their hands, either, by the way.  Our work sick room was adjacent to the women's bathroom, and I heard plenty of flushes and subsequent click clacks past the sinks and out the door when I was in there with migraines.  Many women only wash their hands if someone is watching...not so much if someone unbeknownst to them is listening.  Apparently, the only difference between men and women in this case is their embarrassment over it.  Maybe more parents skipped the "hand washing is crucial" lesson than we'd hope.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Parents.  Schools which allow 3-4 minutes to use the bathroom, and travel cross a school between classes.  25 minute lunches with 10 minute in the food line, no washing time.