January - Infant and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

January - Infant and Toddlers

I'll start off this months thread, Happy New Year! Hope everyone has a happy, healthy year!

I had 5 blissful days at home with DH and DD (16 months now!). Over the last few days she learned several words, including her favorite food banana! We've been following Miss Lily's focused play suggestions and already she's able to make it through reading a full book. She climbs in and out of a clear plastic storage bin we use for toy storage (following another suggestion here, we cleaned and organized the playroom and have three clear bins of toys we circulate in and out of the playroom every couple of days), and she's managed to climb on top of her new play table, and break the faucet on her new play kitchen :) 

We got an e-mail yesterday from the school we really want DD to go to. They have a slot opening up for a toddler girl in February three days a week. DH doesn't want to start her in the winter (he called it "the germ season" as a means to convince me), and the grandmothers are not happy about losing part of "their days" with her, but I am nervous if we don't take this slot we won't be able to get her in later when DH needs extra help during his busy work season (spring and summer).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: January - Infant and Toddlers

Happy New Year!  I’ve basically been home for the past 12 days, which was beyond awesome.  It was so nice to spend all that time with DD – and now it’s a new year and my vacation time is refreshed woo hoo!  I hope everyone else had happy holidays!

It seems like SO much happened during that time.  DD (10 months) now claps and waves goodbye.  Sometimes if you sing “If you’re happy and you know it”, she’ll start clapping.  While I was home she tried wheat toast, Cheerios, a sippy cup with water, and probably all kinds of other good stuff.  Christmas was great, though DD was exhausted by the time the 24th and 25th were over.  She got some great stuff, but people didn’t go completely overboard, which is a relief.  We got her a walker toy thingy, so she walks across the living room on her tip toes.  I can’t believe she is almost a year old!  

ML - I see your DH's point about germ season.  I was happy to have DD home on maternity leave from Feb-May... But I think every season is germ season when it comes to kids!!  DD got her first daycare cold in like September.  She actually she has only had 2 colds since starting daycare, so not all kids are constantly sick... But we'll see what happens now that she is more mobile and touching everything.
    That reminds me, there is a new baby at DD's daycare starting this week, so she isn't the baby anymore :o(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

ML - that is a tough call.  I'd say start her now.  The germ season is upon us for sure... but your instinct is a good one to ensure you get a space when you really need it.  My DS was sick for about a month when he started in November.  But, you just get through it.  And my MIL also was a bit sad to go from 5 days to 2 days a week.  But starting that socialization has been so amazing for DS.  I've seen such amazing improvements all around.  He's not nearly as "stranger danger" aware as before, and actually interacts with other toddlers when we have playdates now.

We had a miserable holiday week unfortunately.  DS contracted a similar virus to hand, foot, mouth... but doc said it was something slightly different as it was on his hands, feet, bum and legs.  MAJOR irritablity for almost the whole week.  I finally lost it on Sunday as we tried to bring him to a new year's brunch... and had to pack our salads to go.  First time I've cried in a parking lot in a long time, but I was so overwhelmed.  The week of his whining finally caught up with me, and thank goodness DH finally realized that I needed a break (he worked last week so it was just me and DS).  DS seems to be about 90% today, and back in daycare (and hopefully back on a schedule soon!!!).  
    Happy 2012 everyone.  Here's to a great year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

This holiday weekend brought the double whammy - sick child and sick husband.  Yuck!  DD had a fever for days and vomiting, cough, nasal congestion.  Luckily, she was not particularly fussy but a little more clingy and took longer naps.  For the first time in her life she refused to eat.   She has taken to feeding the dog - NOT GOOD!

DD is now 14 months.  She is walking all over, starting to try and run and seems to understand everything.  She is saying a whole bunch of words but usually not on command.  Her favorite now is cheese and her version of Jesus when I have pointed out baby Jesus in the nativity. She carries around her new doll and pats her and hugs her. Too cute!   She is definitely getting better at books as well. She has always been able to sit for board books but is doing better with longer books as well.   She must have brought me 20 over the weekend to read and her attention span was amazing -probably mostly b/c she was sick.  Too cute!

I find this age to be super fun but physically exhausted b/c she is a big girl and lugging her around can be tiring and getting worse at 20 weeks or pregnancy.

Happy New Year to all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Sorry to hear about all of the sicknesses- but I am also a bit jealous of all of the time off you guys had. I am trying to stockpile assuming I will need more toward the end of my pregnancy.

IPW sorry to hear about the tears. just know that you are not alone.

ml- take the slot. it is amazing how child care/preschools run their programs. If they have babies coming up through the system, they may not have another toddler opening for a while.  as hard as the sickness thing is... at some point they have to be sick (right, that is how we develop immunity) so better now, when the gmas still want/are able to baby sit and she isn't missing "real school" at age 5. plus, DS had his string of ear infections in April- July.

DS is doing pretty well. Still some sleep issues- I feel like we take 2 steps forward and then a bunch back again. Sending in DH works like a charm, but it makes me sad and DS is more hesitant around me in the mornings.

quick question- we head back to the pediatrician in three weeks (we were told no more bottles two months ago) and I am really struggling with the getting rid of the bottles. He drinks out of a sippy all day, and is even working on an open cup, but REALLY seems to need the bottle when getting dressed in the morning/evening. tips?  we have tried substituting warm milk in a sippy and we get hysterical screaming and it gets thrown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Happy New Year everyone.  I guess it's "Tis the season to be sick"... we had it in our house too.  DD was sent home from daycare on Monday the 19th with 102.5 fever and missed the whole week.  Doc thought it was viral, but she was getting no better, so we brought her back to the pedi 3 days later and turns out she had developed an asthma-type wheezing and the doc was thinking it was developing into pneumonia or something similar.  Put her on antibiotics and nebulizer treatments and she recovered just in time for Santa - thank goodness.  She did give DH and I colds though, which I'm still suffering from!  Oh well, what can you do?!

Christmas was great though!  DD is 17 months and was much more into the whole Christmas morning thing than I expected.  She got a drum (which she LOVES), rockin' Elmo (which I'm about to hit with a hammer - it is driving me nuts!), and a princess house tent thingy.  Big fun and she was loving it all.  I had the whole week off with her and DH last week, so being back at work today is a bit tough on me.  Definitely missing my baby girl.

In terms of general updates, DD is still a bundle of energy and talking up a storm.  Wish I could understand it all, but I can usually get the idea of what she is trying to tell me.  She is in a very "lovey" stage right now for some reason.  Going around kissing everyone and everything from mommy and daddy, to Elmo, and the dog (gross!).  Must be from being around family so much over the holidays and all the kisses and hugs from nana, papa, aunts and uncles.

As for the daycare/school question ML - I would just take the spot.  We started DD in daycare last May and were also trying to avoid "germ season" as DD was a premie and her immune system was still a bit fragile last winter and wasn't quite old enough for the flu shot yet.  Well, DD got sick anyway in the first week.  I think it was just inevitable no matter what the season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

How quickly we forget... DD was sick around Christmas too, but luckily it never got too bad.  I took her to the doctor because I thought she had conjunctivitis, but luckily(?) the gooey eyes were just part of her virus.
    She woke up almost every night this past week, but it didn't seem as bad as usual because I could nap the next day.  She also slept until 7:00 several times.  She usually wakes up around 5:45-6:15, so I am really hoping that 7:00 is a new trend and not just a result of her being up in the middle of the night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ML - take the slot.  It's always germ season for toddlers.  I took my twins to Music Together for 9 weeks starting in September - they managed to get 3 colds EACH during the 9 week sesson.  BTW - so glad my EI tips are helping! :)
    Winter - you are the mommy - if you want to keep a morning and evening bottle then do so.  Just remember that most people tell me that the longer you wait, the harder it is. You're probably going to have to endure a few days of screaming at some point.  Might as well be when you're ready!
    IPW - sorry about the tears.  If it makes you feel any better - we went to CPK on New Year's Eve (at 4:30) and DD asked to go to the potty 3x during the meal. And every time we came back DS wanted to go too. So I made 6 trips to the ladies room in an hour and 15 minutes. Then DH was surprised that I was grumpy when we left. 

As for us - my b/g twins will be 2 1/2 in the middle of the month. I have them signed for a group at EI 2x a week starting in February.  It will be their first time away from family. I'm excited to see how they do in a setting with other kids, and teachers  without me.

DD is talking like crazy - and can repeat anything - including songs after hearing them only a few times. She's fully trained and has started waking up dry form nap too. She's become very picky about what she wears and has to choose herself. So I put a bunch of things in a box and I just let her pick. Thankfully most of it is from Carter's so it basically matches no matter what she chooses.
    DS is getting better at talking too. He puts full sentences together - sometimes they are hard to understand, but we're working on his pronounciation and it's improving all the time. For weeks (months?) he's been able to use the potty (both #1 and #2) if he's naked. But if I put underwear on him he treats it like a diaper and has an accident. So today I decided to re-dedicate myself to finally training him.  He went by himself after breakfast. I tried to have him go an hour later, and he sat, but nothing came out. 10 minutes later he peed his pants. Again at lunch he sat for me and did nothing, but then peed in his highchair. (sigh) Maybe if he has enough accidents, he'll get the hang of it. Any suggestions would be MOST welcome.

We have to go for our hearing tests at the end of January. And I've been told I can no longer rent hearing aids from MEEI - have to buy. So we're looking at an $8,000 or $9,000 bill at the end of the month. Hopefully they won't try and flush them down the loo!
    Happy New Year everyone!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Happy New Year!
    Its been a while since I have checked in.  Sorry about all the sicknesses, both my kids got colds but kicked them pretty quickly.  DH and I are still blowing our noses a million times a day.

ML- I would take the slot!

DS is just 5 1/2 months.  We gave him cereal last night for the first time.  The doctor had me hold off for a while because of his weight and gave me the go ahead at 5 months.    He ate the whole bowl. I was pretty suprised.  Someone told me a few weeks back that they heard you should be giving orange foods to the babies first.  Who knows, I am just going to go with what works.  DD never ate the cereal, or a lot of baby food for the matter so I am just happy he is eating.  I remember how happy I was when the Doctor gave me the go head to give DD food.  I started her that day, this time around, I was hoping they would tell me to wait so I would not have to worry about one more thing.  Poor second child :-)

DD will be 3 in 2 weeks and boy is she testing her parents.  She has up until the last month been the best, sweetest little girl and all of a sudden she has developed this defiant personality.  So much for those terrible twos, it is definetly the terrible 3's.  She doesnt listen, hates to get dressed, actually anything that we want her to do, she wants to do the complete opposite.  If she does something wrong, she just looks at us and says, "OK, Ill go in a time out".  Thank goodness when she is not with us, she is still as good as gold.  She just knows how to test her parents I guess.     Thanks to DH, she still sleeps in our bed, we are in the process of moving and we just ordered her a new bedroom set so I can not wait to see how many sleepless nights we get when we have to get her into her own room.   At least DH agrees it is time to get her out, we are just not looking forward to it. Maybe she will suprise us and it will be easy....yeah right!

ETA...the potty training for DD is still the same.  100% trained to pee and holds it all night.  The pooping is still the issue, I was home with her for two weeks and she just will not go.  I know she has to, so I put her on and she holds it.  Holding it is not good so we are still stuck with putting her in pull ups.  We have her 3 yr check up in a few weeks and I will bring it up to them. I know they will say that she is still too young.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Quad - I have a friend who tries "opposite world" on his 3 year old.  When he wants her to get dressed he says, "I don't want you getting dressed today" and often she runs to get dressed!
    Worth a shot?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Winter - if it makes you feel any better - DD will be 18 months this month and we still do warm milk in a bottle at wake-up and bedtime.  I don't know if she would be getting enough milk during the day otherwise.  I know we'll stop it eventually, but I'm not feeling the rush.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ML - take it.  We started in August and got a stomach bug right away.  It's just one of those things.
    Winter - I don't think you should worry.  The arguments against bottles that I have heard are (1) learning to move your mouth in different ways (which you already have covered with sippy and open cup during the day), (2) daycare requires it (again, you already have covered during the day), and (3) tooth decay (which presumably you are not letting him sleep with it, wander around half the day with it, et cetera).  I may be wrong, but I've yet to hear any reason why ALL bottle use has to be stopped.  My LO is the same age as yours and still nurses in the AM and at bedtime, and I seriously doubt any modern doctor would tell me I have to stop.

We are doing great, except we also had holiday week sickness.  :(  Now we are entering the land where she still wakes up during the night and I'm not sure if she's really uncomfortable or if she's just gotten used to waking up.  It's tiring, but I'm taking solace in knowing that we've been through a regression before and it didn't last forever.
    I have a milk question.  We went to Chipotle yesterday where the 17 month old had a kid meal (so cute!!  big kid!!)  It came with a "milk box" that is 1% milk and she really seemed to like it a lot more than her usual whole milk.  I mean, it also was a novelty, but I'm wondering if she might like it better.  She does not like whole milk and doesn't drink very much.  I haven't worried because she does eat yogurt and cheese, but now I wonder if she could have lower fat milk and just compensate with higher fat cheese to get the fats she needs.  Thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

LOL, Thanks Misslily, worth a shot! Ill try it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ALS- thanks. I am sure part of this is that we don't love our pediatrician... argh. I hate paying someone to make me feel like a bad parent- we should really change.  However, it is really cute how he has all these behaviors around it. the warmed bottle is too hot for us to pick up from the bottle warmer, so we use a towel that hangs on the stove. Sometimes, when DS is ready for bedtime, he goes and picks up the towel and reaches for the counter.

Equally hysterical this weekend- he has developed an addiction to Panera's mac and cheese, since he is teething, we have gotten it a few times over the holidays. He knows what the containers look like now and just opens the fridge to get it out and carries it to the microwave. When he didn't see it in the fridge, he pointed at the microwave- insisting I open it for him.... he was so disappointed (shocked really) that there was no mac and cheese in there. it's amazing what they learn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Use moving to your psychological advantage, quad, regarding the sleeping arrangement change.  Make a huge deal over her about to have her own room with her OWN BED like big girls have!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Kar- That is the plan!  We are going to pick out bedding this weekend!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]When he didn't see it in the fridge, he pointed at the microwave- insisting I open it for him.... he was so disappointed (shocked really) that there was no mac and cheese in there. it's amazing what they learn.
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]
    That's so funny!  Similar: I often make whole wheat blueberry pancakes on the weekend which the LO loves.  This week, I made eggs and potatoes one day.  She was so excited, and then so disgruntled when eggs and potatoes appeared on her plate.  She kept pointing at the stove, like, "where the heck are the pancakes??  Mommy at the stove at breakfast time means pancakes!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Kar- That is the plan!  We are going to pick out bedding this weekend!
    Posted by quadgirl1234[/QUOTE]

Awesome!  The more she picks out the more she'll own in there...hopefully. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Some of these posts remind me so much of DD.  She likes to help load and run the dishwasher (will put spoons in the basket and then close the door and push the button to start it - she doesn't push it hard enough to start it, but always pushes the right one, both on our dishwasher and my parents').

Her big word is "this"...she'll point and say "this" for something she wants, and will hand you "this".  Also now will nod emphatically, and will nod to answer a question.  Baby is a big word, and dog.  Mama comes out when she's mad or when she wants me. 

She is super curious, always walking, usually carrying something in each hand as she does.  I feel like every day is something new!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We also still do the morning and evening bottle (at almost 15 mths) after our doctor told us to stop at 1 year.  He does sippys (both straw and spout) during the day - usually with water or watered down juice.  He's not a fan of milk in a sippy - who knows why - so I decided the milk/calcium intake was more important than not using a bottle.  He does not get it in his crib and we brush his teeth (or, are trying to) so I figure, no harm.  I'm sure its just like the pacifier, which DS uses only in his crib.  So much so that when I come in to his room in the morning, he takes it out and hands it to me very first thing.  My plan is probably a bottle and paci fairy for the other babies once he is old enough to understand what those mean.

We are trying a new pediatrician in the same practice... just wasn't loving her.  So our 15 mth appt is coming up and we'll see about the new one.  I like the big practice as I can always get an emergency visit same day... but makes it harder to develop a bond with just one doctor.

Can't believe how many little ones were sick this past week.  Hope everyone is on the mend!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Winter - Have you tried the nuk sippy?  It's just like a bottle IMO.  DD (20 mo) still has one of those before bed and before nap. 

ML - take the spot.  LO will get sick from daycare anytime of year.  That is one thing I do NOT miss about daycare!

EOE - love to read the updates!!!  Glad Christmas was fun for all but sad to hear of all the illnesses.

In the Trouble household we've also been to the pedi and dealing with a diaper rash that will no go away on DD.  It's awful!  It's mainly on her front.  We'd been trying to heal it with globs of triple paste and "airtime" (letting her run around bottomless for 10 min in the middle of a diaper change) but then took her to the doc after no change for almost 2 weeks.  We were prescribed Nystatin for possible yeast.  But 1 week in we see no improvement.  So frustrating!  Any suggestions? 

Other than that, DD is full on into mimicking and repeating anything she hears.  She loves books (always has) and last night I discovered she can count down from 10 to 1 when we read "Ten Little babies."  I think she probably just has the book memorized considering we have read it at least 3000 times, but she was so proud of herself (as was I) shouting out each number as I turned the page.  Love it!

DS (almost 5 mo) moved into his own "room" on New Years Eve.  And he did great!  We are still trying to figure out how to set up the rooms because all our bedrooms are so different in size.  We have one that is the same size as the master (currently the guest room), a medium size one which is DD's for now, and another tiny one.  We are considering putting them in the same room.  For now, we just put his crib in the guest room along with an audio monitor.  He's still waking up at night, but I think I sleep a bit better with him out of the room.  I think we'll start him on solids next weekend when he officially turns 5 months old.  I think he's ready.  I've noticed him licking his lips when we sees us eat.  He's getting so big!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble - are you still using the triple paste?  If it *is* yeast, my understanding is that the really good diaper creams actually make yeast worse because they form a barrier on the skin.  So for yeast, airtime good, thick creams bad.
    But again, only if you (and the pedi) think it's yeast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

trouble thanks for the tip. medford- your little one cracks me up!

as an aside, not sure how many of you are checking the facebook page, but i Finally got a picture up. and not even a really great one.. but better than nothing.

IPW- how did you switch. did you just set up an appt with another one, did you tell your doc you wanted to switch? help. i need to know what to do and am really worried I will offend doc A by asking to go to Doc b... and then need to see Doc A for an emergent visit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - our doc also thought my daughter's diaper rash might be yeast.  He told me to use Lotrimin from the athelte's foot aisle.  Also said it might take a week to 10 days before I saw any improvement.  And to keep using it 3x a day for a week after it cleared up.  it would clear up and come back. The only thing that cured it for good was potty training.
    Good luck!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

IPW - We are also doing bedtime bottle at 16 months, and when I am anxious to get fluids into her for one reason or another, the bottle is the best method for that. I don't think it's a big deal, I'll let her self-wean on that one as well.

We turned down the slot at pre-school, but they are fairly certain they will have space in June-July. For us, the toddler program was a luxury - DD loves to spend time with other kids and loves the social stimulation, so we knew she'd ENJOY the toddler program, but our daycare is covered by family (at no cost) and she's only 16 months. It's cold out now and dragging her out, dragging the grandmothers out to pick her up at school just seemed like too much. We have our whole lives to be running her out the door every morning, so for now, we will keep her home and do her swim lessons, story time at the library and the drop in music class as stimulation, and I am sure that will be enough!

Luv - now I totally want to teach DD "this" - how cute!