January - Infant and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: January - Infant and Toddlers

Thanks Fram!  They wanted me to hold off on the food because like a lot of these past posts, DS fell from 50% to 15% on the chart at his 4 mon checkup.  He only ate about 24 ounces a day at that point and still maybe around 26-28 a day.  DD has always been 15% so when DS was bigger at birth we were suprised.  I went back at 5months for a weight check and she gave me the ok to give food and also made a good point that the reason why he probably fell on the charts is because he started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks and did not have the middle of the night feeding like most babies do, so he was down a bottle from very early on.  Anyway, I never worried, DH and I are not big people, im only 5ft so I figured he was just leveling off.

I actually didnt mind holding off the food becuase it was another thing to throw into my day but now I feel like I am too late (which im probably not).  With the move and 2 kids, my life has been a bit crazy the past month or so.

About sesame street, DD never really got into it, she loved elmo at one point but just really zoned on it on when Elmos world came on.  There are so many other shows out now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In reading these last few posts I am wondering if that 16-24 ounces of breastmilk recommendation i posted in the "Solids" thread was meant specifically for my giant off-the-charts baby...  So you can all ignore that :) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been out of the SS loop since I watched it myself...who would guess?  I had to laugh about the Ernie/Bert thing.

I was a 5 lb 2 oz baby and didn't catch up very quickly at all; was always the skinny kid.  But, here I am 5' 4" and a BMI of 22, right in the middle of "normal."  So, take heart ladies with babies on the smaller side - they'll be fine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

MissLily - The rapper who was dressed as a minister (Run DMC) is actually an ordained minister, so I don't think it was inappropriate. As an aside, I knew exactly what clip you were talking about by memory - DD wants me to watch TV with her, great for developing a bond and knowing what she is watching, totally defeats the purpose of turning on Sesame Street so I can get dinner ready, though :-(

I haven't seen the breastfeeding clips on youtube, but I thought they showed a couple of quick shots of nursing babies on the "Everybody Eats" song. That might be from "Play with Me Sesame" on Sprout, though. They show more of the older bits that don't always make it on the recent shows. 

I think I have just proved that I am more up to speed on the world of Sesame Street than I am on any other TV show. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thank you all for your stories and advice. I was not overly concerned about his weight, just a little alarmed that his weight % did drop.  I found a way to add breakfast into his morning schedule before I head to work, a spoonful of food for him and a spoonful of my cereal for me.   And I added some more milk to his bottles today which he did drink.  I am not going to force feed him but just take more cues from him about when he wants more or he is done when he's eating solids.  I don't mind having a smaller guy if this is the growth path he is on! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks Amy-Lynn, I wouldn't know one rapper from another.
    And I watch with my kids a lot too.  I don't like to leave them in front of the TV - starting dinner is the exception.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]In reading these last few posts I am wondering if that 16-24 ounces of breastmilk recommendation i posted in the "Solids" thread was meant specifically for my giant off-the-charts baby...  So you can all ignore that :) 
    Posted by LilSprout[/QUOTE]

Sounds right to me - at DD's 9 month appt her pedi said at least 24 oz of fluids, whether it be BM or formula.  (Prior to that she had said 30-32.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Sprout my DS is a big boy, I give him 3 or 4 6oz bottles a day and then he has a regular meal (table food).  As long as your son is growing and happy and your pedi is happy too don't worry!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD's 1st birthday is coming up and I've decided to do a circus themed bday party.  It's going to be a family only party, so I won't go crazy... But I kind of wish there would be more kids because I'm really having fun with this idea!

I found most things I have in mind on amazon.com, but with multiple sellers I'd have to pay multiple shipping charges.  I thought I could possibly find most things on orientaltrading.com, but no such luck.  ETA: I had listed what I need, but realized I am overthinking this!  I can easily find what I need at Walmart, Target, or iParty and then order the rest on Amazon.  I'm so focused lately on getting the best deal.  Chill Fram!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Fram - I can't believe your DD is almost ONE already!!!!  (Let alone that my DS is knocking on 7-months' door!)

(Sorry - I don't have any suggestions for what you're looking for!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Restaurant supply stores generally have things like popcorn boxes and paper plates for cheap and not necessarily in boxes of 10,000. :)

ETA:  And, the summer newborn thread prompted me to look up the site that my SIL used for sun protective clothing, and I found this page of super cute toddler hats that have built in SPF.  She was very pleased with the woman's wear she got for her FL vacation, too.  DH just had to plow our driveway so maybe it's a little early to think about these things, but thankfully warmer weather will be here before we know it, and their winter hats are on sale!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Christmas Tree shop or Job Lot for the plates/napkins...might have other good stuff too.  Paper plates, etc at iParty are SOOOOO expensive!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fram, I can't believe your DD is going to be one, that is unreal! I think of her as "the little kid" to my big DD (16 months!)

Before you even try Walmart et al, check out the dollar stores - they have tons of birthday stuff for $1. I bought a dozen reusable sippy cups with lids for a dollar last year for a birthday party - and we are still using them!

AFM, colds and crankiness at our house all weekend, lots of PJ wearing and water/juice drinking. DD started to give real kisses this weekend (with a runny nose to boot!), and started using no, thanks, grapes and pointing at everything. It's amazing how quickly they learn and how random the things that they learn!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

ML: Good luck with your DA!  And so sweet of your parents :)

Fram: I actually like iparty for DD's 1st.  A bit of a splurge, but our party was small and it was her first.  Get balloons too.  OMG DD loved the balloons!!

OK question for you mamas, how do you get rid of the arm swaddle?  My DS is 5 months and still loves to have his arms wrapped up to go to sleep at night (sleepsack with swaddle attachment).  I've been trying to do it looser so he can get them out, but if I start the down process with his arms out he just doesn't know what to do with them.  They seem to take on a life of their own and just flail around non-stop.  What do I do???  I think he's too old for the swaddle at this point.

On the bright side he has been sleeping through the night!!!  He only woke up 2 nights last week!  :) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats Trouble on sleeping through the night! I don't have any advice for you on the arm swaddle since my 6 week old likes to have her arms out and manages to free herself from the tightest swaddles.  Little Houdini!

But my friend said her twins remained swaddled until 7 months.  She admits it was kind of a long time to swaddle, but her twins are now 2 and sleep great.  Maybe you should let him stay swaddled for a while longer if that's how he is most comfortable?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What are the potential drawbacks of swaddling at his age?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Trouble - Of course only you can decide (or DS I suppose!), but I swaddled DD until at least 5 months and would have kept doing it if she wasn't rolling over.  She still seemed to like the swaddle, but I found her on her stomach one to many times.
    I did maybe 2-3 nights with the swaddle on but wrapped under her armpits and then took it off all together and switched to the sleep sack.  Didn't phase her at all, despite how long I stressed about it before hand :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Holy cow, I am so happy DS didn't cut any teeth until 9 mon. He bit me last night and I let out a yell/scream so loud that I scared the crap out of him. I had NO idea it would be that painful, it still hurts today.  Hopefully he'll learn from my yell not to do it again. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OMG ajuly!  I forgot to post about that a couple weeks ago.  DD bit me so hard that she drew blood!!  She also didn't cut a tooth until 9 months.  In the ~2 months since then, she only bit me a handful of times.  I was so nervous every time we started BFing, but she hasn't done it in a couple weeks.  KNOCK ON WOOD!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE] OK question for you mamas, how do you get rid of the arm swaddle?  My DS is 5 months and still loves to have his arms wrapped up to go to sleep at night (sleepsack with swaddle attachment).  I've been trying to do it looser so he can get them out, but if I start the down process with his arms out he just doesn't know what to do with them.  They seem to take on a life of their own and just flail around non-stop.  What do I do???  I think he's too old for the swaddle at this point. On the bright side he has been sleeping through the night!!!  He only woke up 2 nights last week!  :) 
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]
    IMO, if he is fine with being swaddled and isn't trying to get out, there's no reason to try to unswaddle (unless he's started to roll over and you're worried he'll roll somehow while swaddled and get stuck on his belly).  I am not sure about weaning off a swaddle since my DD was violently against swaddling from birth and able to get her arms out on her own by 2 weeks old, no matter how tightly swaddled. 
    If he still feels comfortable in the swaddle you might as well stick with it.  Plus, it's probably warm and comfy this time of year.  I bet he'll break free from the swaddle once it gets warmer out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Morning, and Happy Monday!

I have a sleep question...I am not going to ask about sleep training methods because I'm sure everyone has an opinion (and I'm also sure there are tons of previous threads on this!).  I'm just wondering - when your LOs were 7 months old, how many times, on average, were they waking up per night?  This is sort of a poll, I suppose!  Just curious what the range of wake-ups is for this age! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for the swaddle advice.  I've been just swaddling him very loosely now and he always gets his arms out during the night.  I guess it's just part of the bedtime routine for him now and a cue to go to sleep.  I'm going to keep with it for now because... at long last... he's officially sleeping through the night!  Yay!!!  I'm not messing with that!

Sprout, my DD was sleeping through at 4 months, regressed at 5 months and we cried it out for 1 night (20 min) at 6 months.  Since then she has always slept through.  DS (as seen above) has just started sleeping through at 5 months.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Just had to share a moment of baby bliss!  DD went to bed at 8 PM last night and I had to WAKE HER UP this morning at 7:15!!!!  Usually on a good night, she'll get up at 6, and on a teething night (which is all the time, it seems), around 4.  This was absolute heaven!  Although, I will admit, when my alarm went off at 6:45, I went in to check to make sure she was breathing...and she was asleep cuddling with her stuffed cow.  Too cute. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Yay, Luv!!! Isn't that a crazy feeling? 

Sprout - Both my girls were sleeping completely through the night by 7 months without any work on my part.  DS on the other hand was still getting up once a night somewhere between 2 am and 4 am. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - DD started sleeping for 6-7 hour stretches at about 7 weeks.  At about 11 weeks she would sleep from like 9-5 and a few weeks later it was more like 8-6.  There have been times here and there were she woke up at night for a few days in a row, mostly when she had a cold.  She usually sleeps from 7-6 now, at 11 months old.