January - Infant and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: January - Infant and Toddlers

Good choice ML - I feel the same way about my two.  I know they are ready and going to enjoy their little playgroup 2x a week - but they are a year older than your DD.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Miss Lily - Are you serious?  Didn't clear until potty trained??  DD isn't anywhere close to potty training.  I know because during airtime she has peed on the floor multiple times.  If this lasts or recurs until she is potty trained, that would be awful!  She's never had rash before.  I thought we had done so well with avoid rash by using countless tubs of that oh-so-expensive triple paste.  sigh..

Medford - We stopped using triple paste, then strated back up along with the Nystatin.  I guess I'll give the pedi a call again today to see if we shouldn't be using the 2 together.  Thanks for the tip!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hellooo and happy new year!  I haven't posted much since DS was born in June...time really flies.  I can't believe I have a six month old.  I had been working from home so I didn't have much extra time to sit in front of the computer like I can now that I'm back at work :) 

DS is now in daycare (boo) and I miss him so much!  A question for you mamas - my belly button is sticking out...6 months after delivery!!!!  Will it ever go back in?  What about the linea negra - how long does it take that to go away? 

I have a LOT of old archive searching to do...my little one doesn't sleep very well and we are going to have to start sleep training...and then hope naps follow.  Otherwise, he's an awesome drooling, babbling, kicking, rolling, screeching baby!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - what I meant was that it would come and go.  I'd get her all cleared up and off the Lotrimin and 2 weeks later all of a sudden she'd have all these little dots all over her front again.  I'd get the Lotrimin out and start again.  If I caught it quickly - it would also clear up pretty quickly.  But yeah - for us I finally had total success when she trained.
    I'm sure you'll have an easier time since your pedi has given you a perscription to use.  Hopefully it will work better than the OTC stuff I was using.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

trouble-have you tried a baking soda bath? when DS got a bad diaper rash I'd put some baking soda in the tub and let him play. That always cleared up stuff quickly for him-even the stubborn stuff. We also had to try the lotramin stuff. Is the rash raised and in circles/oval patches? that's what our pedi said was a yeast infection...

For those trying to transition off of the night time bottle-your LO might not need that night time bottle-I was worried getting DS out of hte habit and one night I just snuggled him rocked him with a paci and he went to sleep with no hassle-he didn't need the bottle but I hadn't accepted it. ( I liked that special time.) so, it might not be as hard of a transition as you might fear.

We're doing okay. DS 3 I think is having a hard time from teh let down of his brithday, the holidays and transitioning to a preschool room...he has been "tons of fun" to parent at night. I feel for the kid-it's not easy to have so much going on and want to be in control but not be ready for it. It's tough to be a toddler!

DD is doing well, she's wow 15 weeks now! she's dropped her swaddle need, which I kind of miss. One night she woke up in the middle of the night after sleeping through for weeks when she broke out of hte swaddle and hasn't gone back to the swaddle. I was so nervous of her going to sleep with her arms free...but she's a champ and sleepign through the night again.

One challenge we're facing with DS is that he's taking forever in the bathroom! I mean 30 min plus! He's clearly not p00ping, just sitting...how does one hurry him along without causing a power struggle? I tried a rewards chart, that worked once but then not again...suggestions?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Sprout!  So nice to hear from you.  I was just thinking of you the other day.  It seems like most of the mamas who delivered soon after me don't post often... But maybe I have just lost track of who that is!!  I didn't have the dark line during pregnancy, but did have a line afterwards and it has definitely been fading over the past 10 months.  I guess only time will tell if it will completely go away.

Regarding the last feeding... DD usually gets a bottle at daycare around 4:00 and then solids from DH around 5:30.  Sometimes when I go to breastfeed her around 6:30, she doesn't appear to be hungry/thirsty and will only feed for literally 2 minutes.  I was wondering if I should just phase out thet feeding completely if she continues to turn away.  I've heard about dropping that last feeding/bottle on here and from friends, so it just seems too good to be true that she would naturally drop it.  Anyone else have a similar experience?

KAM - I guess you can't just tell DS that he might get hemerrhoids?  :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I think that I need some moral support... DS is still not sleeping... ack. most nights, he goes down fine. but sometimes he waves goodnight (like always) and 30 seconds later he is standing up screaming.  He still wakes up screaming in the middle of the night as well- sometimes. I don't get it. We have figured out that if DH goes in, he either quiets right away, or right after DH leaves. If I go in, and do not pick him up (which I haven't now in weeks) he just gets even more upset and will scream for a very long time. hysterically.  so I don't go in anymore.

although this sounds crazy when I say it out loud, I honestly think that sometimes, particularly in the mornings, he is mad at me for not coming during the night. I know it sounds like guilt, but he will refuse to come to me to get out of the crib until we talk for a few minutes. most mornings, he runs to me (either for the bottle of warm milk I'm supposed to stop giving him or a hug, I am not sure).

I can't find it now, but I think it was lemon who called them crafy critters... is it possible he is upset with me?  I am just starting to feel nuts. I am sure being sleep deprived and 8 weeks pregnant isn't helping. but anyway.

speaking of lemon. has anyone heard from her lately?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Hi Sprout, my belly button also stuck out during both my pregnancys.  I asked the doctor about it and she said if it does not go back in, it might need to be fixed.  I beleive it is a hernia?  Might be wrong. Mine went back in so it was not an issue but I would check with your doctor. I dont think it is a big deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Winter - I'm sorry you're feeling so down.  I can't remember how old your DS is?  Sounds like 12-15 months?
    Both Ferber and Weissbluth say that often Dad has to be the one to go and do the settling.  I have more than one friend who actually had to leave the house when they first started sleep training.
    Even now, at 2 1/2 if my DH goes in (and I wish he'd go MORE) the twins are more likely to setlle down. If I go in I get "Mama say another story" or "no Mama go!!!" - which is heartbreaking. Let DH take a turn and try and get some rest.
    And perhaps the morning crankiness is just teething and/or a phase.  I guess I'm whimp - I probably would have served mac & cheese for breakfast if that kept peace and resulted in a full tummy.
    He's not mad at you. Babies aren't THAT crafty. And I'm sure all those hormones aren't helping your mood and anxiety much. (Congrats! BTW)
    You're doing a great job.  It's hard being a Mommy. As my friend with 5 kids always says..."It's a phase, it will pass."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks lilly-
    about the mac and cheese- he didn't say he wanted it until we were walking out the door- the only reason I said no. otherwise I would have done the same.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter... my heart goes out to you.  I know exactly how you feel.
    Has it been happening continuously for a long time?
    The only thing I can offer (other than the usual reassurance that this too will pass) is that perhaps he needs less sleep now??  When we had our worst sleep regression in October, I assumed she was *overtired* because that had usually been the problem before.  But when I read Ferber and saw the length of sleep typical for her age and read the section on "too long in bed", it described her to a T.  We started putting her to bed at 8, which was the time she would usually go to sleep after the screaming ended anyway, and it helped a lot.  Similarly, she was sick recently and woke up a lot because of that, so we encouraged her to nap more.  Then she was still waking up at night even though she was better... I went back to work, she napped less, and slept great at night.

We should have a moral support group... today was our first day back at daycare after the holidays and she threw herself on my feet and wept...  soooooo horribly sad.  :(

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I think that I need some moral support... DS is still not sleeping... ack. most nights, he goes down fine. but sometimes he waves goodnight (like always) and 30 seconds later he is standing up screaming.  He still wakes up screaming in the middle of the night as well- sometimes. I don't get it. We have figured out that if DH goes in, he either quiets right away, or right after DH leaves. If I go in, and do not pick him up (which I haven't now in weeks) he just gets even more upset and will scream for a very long time. hysterically.  so I don't go in anymore. although this sounds crazy when I say it out loud, I honestly think that sometimes, particularly in the mornings, he is mad at me for not coming during the night. I know it sounds like guilt, but he will refuse to come to me to get out of the crib until we talk for a few minutes. most mornings, he runs to me (either for the bottle of warm milk I'm supposed to stop giving him or a hug, I am not sure). I can't find it now, but I think it was lemon who called them crafy critters... is it possible he is upset with me?  I am just starting to feel nuts. I am sure being sleep deprived and 8 weeks pregnant isn't helping. but anyway. speaking of lemon. has anyone heard from her lately?
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]

Winter, how old is your son? 

DD has started the fussy-morning routine, too, but I think it's just morning grumpies.  I had a fleeting, "She doesn't want me; she wants Daddy," concern as well [especially because he does the nighttime bottle (15 months and holding!!!!), rocking chair, song routine] but I honestly think it's just that so much is in flux for them -- they're mastering walking, talking, in DD's case cutting teeth like crazy; it's WORK.  I'd be grumpy too if my vocabulary consisted of "Mama/Dada/buh(?)/dat/uh-oh/baaaaaaaa!!!!!!" and my jaw was constantly throbbing. 

at least that's what I'm telling myself.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Medford, describe this "too long in bed" situation to me, please. 

Also, as I have misplaced my Weissbluth, can someone remind me of the ballpark sleep needs for a 15 1/2 month old?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford- I am so sorry. i feel like there are quite a lot of us with babies around the same age. mine still cries at drop off too- not usually hysterically. that must have been so hard.

DS is 16.5 months.  it has been happening for about a month.

maybe it is less sleep that he needs? some nights he goes right down and sleeps through the night. sometimes he screams before he sleeps. sometimes he screams after he has slept a bit....  sometimes he naps for 3 hours at daycare, sometimes 2. sometimes he sleeps on the way to school and then home, sometimes not.  on the weekends, his sleep gets very wonky. he often wants to nap early, and then sometimes takes a later nap. last weekend, he was rubbing his eyes at 5, so I put him down for a 1 hour nap and he slept through the night.

in general we follow his cues at night. I taught him the sign language for bath and sleep, so he will do that or walk to the bottle warmer and point.

and we have gotten a lot of teeth. he got to the point where he was asking for meds... sad. but not anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I see I have a lot to look forward to! Is there anyone else out there with a 1 or 2 month old?  I feel like you all are so far ahead of me, which I suppose is good, since you have all already been through what I am going through. :) More advice for me!

I am exclusively BFing my DD, who is now 5 weeks old.  I have no idea when (if at all) I should introduce a pacifier.  Should I just avoid it altogether? And, I am struggling with when to begin pumping and intoducing a bottle.  I will be going back to work in mid-March.  I have heard 4-5 weeks from some people, but my pedi recommended waiting until closer to 8 weeks, if possible. 

I don't want to screw with my milk supply, but I suppose I could pump and then immediately feed what I just expressed.  But we are not on any schedule - I am just responding to her needs on demand, at this point. 

Any advice or personal experiences with pacifiers and introducing a bottle (while maintaining BF) are welcome!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

we used a paci from the beginning. the big green ones. it is really up to the child. DS loved it and took it right away, my brother's kids hated them.

I started pumping early, and would pump right after I breast fed starting at like 4 or 5 weeks. Due to life circumstances (we were going to a wedding), he had his first bottle around 6 weeks. I pumped at the same time he got his bottles to keep my supply up.  we tried to do one bottle a day from then on.

just an FYI- your DD may not want to take a bottle from you. someone else- dad perhaps? needs to offer it. many of us needed to be out of the room for it to work. but before DS went to daycare, I was determined to have him take a bottle from me (meaning he would take it from anyone at that point.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Jennifyr - I exclusively breastfeed until 2 weeks before I went back to work (I was out 4 months). I wouldn't suggest that, but I was stubborn with it (only gave 4 bottles total before I returned to work). My pediatrician recommended 8 weeks. DD has not used a pacifier ever. If you don't have to introduce it, don't. DD was born 9/6 and I didn't start pumping until 11/7. I was able to put 90oz in the freezer and I was able to pump enough for DD that my first day back to work she only had to take 3oz of frozen milk so I still have 87oz in the freezer. I could have done more, but there were days I didn't pump at all. What did was I would feed DD in the AM feeding and then pump for 10-15mins after she was done. You can do that for a couple of days and then add another pump session in the afternoon after a feeding. It's totally up to you, but I think 8 weeks would be a good time to start trying it out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sorry a lot of you had a sick holiday!!!!

AFM - I hate that I have been away for so long. We didn't have a computer at home for most of my leave. I started back to work on Tuesday. I am exclusively breastfeeding/pumping and have been able to keep up with DD demand during the day. I am just getting nervous that I am going to have to introduce formula and I really don't want to. I know it's not the end of the world, but I prefer not to. What did you all do? I am pumping when I wake up at 5am, nursing DD when I get to IL's/family to drop her off at 6:45am, then I am pumping 3 times at work, nursing DD when I get home at 5pm (and pumping because she usually had just had a bottle within the last hour) and will pump at least one other time at night. It was recommended by the lactation nurse that the last thing I do before I leave DD in the AM is nurse and the first thing I do when I see her in the PM is nurse. I am drinking an ungodly amount of water (like 3 gallons) a day. Any other suggestions to increase my supply?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Jenniifyr- my DD is almost two but I also exclusively bf her (for a year). We introduced a pacifier withing the first two weeks, we used the type they have in the hospital (soothie brand I believe, the big blue ones) and had no issues with nipple confusion. My dd never had trouble latching though so I wasn't concerned about n*pple confusion. The paci was a great tool to help if/when you want to get on more of a feeding schedule. So I'd try to use it to calm her down if she seemed hungry but I wanted to try to hold her off a bit longer between feeds . That said, I pretty much nursed on demand for 3 months but worked on getting her on a schedule before 4 months when I went back to work. I figured it would be an easier transition for her if she was used to eating at certain times a day and that stayed consistent even when she wasn't with me. In terms of pumping, I started at a month and I tried to pump 1 bottle a day to start a stash for the freezer. It's always nice to have extra in case you need to leave the baby with someone for whatever reason. Personally I had a huge problem pumping. My body just didn't respond to the pump very well and I never got quite as much as when I nursed. I tried to either pump first thing in the morning from one breast after nursing from the other because my supply seemed greater in the morning or I would try to pump a little bit, like an ounce, after my daughter ate from the same breast. Over time I managed to build up a big supply which alleviated pressure when I went back to work.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats on your DD jennifyr!  I remember feeling like everyone else's babies were older, so a word to the wise: don't get ahead of yourself from reading our updates!  I would get stressed out thinking DD should be napping longer etc etc and have to remind myself that ___'s DD was 3 months older.

The pacifier question is completely up to you.  I had no interest in giving DD a pacifier and was terrified of having to get up in the middle of the night to give it back.  We tried to give it to her a bunch of times when she was fussy, but she didn't want/need it.  She eventually started sucking her thumb though.  At 5 weeks, I think you can go for it if you want to try.  I'm pretty sure we tried by 2 weeks.

At 5 weeks, as long as everything is going well and DD has been gaining weight, I don't think you need to worry about screwing up your milk supply.  If you only want to introduce a bottle due to the return to work, I would say about 3-4 weeks before you go back would be a good time.  She may not like the bottle and it could take a while to get her to drink it.  If you want to try sooner so that you can sleep or go out, I think you are fine to introduce a bottle whenever you want to.  It's good to pump whenever the baby would be drinking so you won't mess with your supply, but there were definitely times when I ran errands and DH gave DD a bottle from the day before or from the freezer.  If you're EBFing, your supply isn't going to be all thrown off by skipping one feeding.  This early on, it may be difficult to have a bottle from the day before, but once my DD started going to bed at a consistent time, I was able to pump and store every night.

ETA:  Thought I'd make this post even longer.  We gave DD a bottle when she was about a week old.  She was having trouble latching on and I was so worried she wasn't getting enough.  For about 2 weeks I would sometimes pump & feed and sometimes just feed.  My MIL (and possibly the LC) thought I was crazy and I eventually decided they were right and went back to exclusively BFing.  I decided I was creating more work for myself by pumping and also cleaning the parts and bottles, but it was just something I had to go through and figure out for myself.  About 3-4 weeks before I went back to work we re-introduced the bottle.  She struggled a bit, but drank it and by the 4th time there was no more struggling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Twin- sounds like you are doing great! Your pump/nurse schedule seems right on target. Also keep in mind that your baby will drink the most amount of liquid between 4-6 months, then start gradually drinking less and eating more solids. So the hardest part of exclusively bfeeding/pumping is right now!! Eventually your baby will be eating solids and you can eliminate that late afternoon bottle or another one and it will be less work for you to pump because the baby will need less during the day! Hang in there. Regarding milk supply, drinking H20 is the best but there' is a tea you can drink - Mothers Milk tea - that helps. It's nasty tasting. Check with your OB. GL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Twin, the only think I can recommend to keep your supply up besides water is making sure you get enough rest as you return to work! I know at first my supply took a dip, and it improved once I started giving up on having an evening to myself and getting much done around the house. I went to bed at 8pm when my daughter went to sleep (I get up at 5:00 AM) -with a wake up about 1AM to nurse or pump that was 8 magnificent hours and it made a huge difference in my supply.

Man, I miss nursing....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

And enough food to keep supply up, too.  I tried to cut back and my supply took a hit.  So I abandoned that plan.  :)
    The bottle thing depends on your baby, but my experience was that 8 weeks was too long.  I wish we had done it at 4-6.  We went to a wedding at 6 weeks and she gave my parents a really hard time taking the bottle.  And bottle refusal is really, really stressful if you're staring at the last week or two of maternity leave.  And once you are doing it, keep it going at least every couple of days.

GC/Winter - I had taken Ferber out of the library so I can't check now, but I think it was 11 5/8 hours for an 18 month old (including naps).  Plus or minus an hour or so I think it said.  Our LO (now 17 months) gets a little bit more than that.  But she *was* getting put down at about 7 and getting up about 7, plus 60-90 minutes of nap.  So, when The Problems started, she stopped putting herself to sleep at bedtime and instead screamed, then woke up in the middle of the night again and screamed.  The clincher was that she was 100% super happy and not tired for the first few days (then she did start to get tired).  But that was a big indicator to me that she didn't need to sleep that long.  So we started putting her down at 8 and got big improvements.  I think it helped her to break the cycle of always screaming at bedtime.
    I think there are a lot of warnings against letting them get overtired, but one thing I took out of Ferber was making bedtime pleasant again, and one of his suggestions was to start by putting the kid to bed at the time they are actually accustomed to falling asleep, even if that's later than you want.  Then once bedtime gets better, try to move it earlier.  The later bedtime, repeated putting down / leaving / returning (very soon, not the Ferber times), and making sure she was really awake (not just stirring) before going to get her in the night were the 3 things that worked for us.
    Anyway.  This is long.  I really liked the book.  The CIO section is so miniscule... there are so many other elements to it and some of them were spot on for us.  We didn't do the "Ferberizing" people think of, but it was still really helpful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks medford for the summary- i keep starting the book, and then falling asleep. i never make it very far.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Jennifyr – AVOID the pacifier as long as humanely possible!!  I sort of jest, but my 14 month old DD is in LOVE with hers and I am dreading the day we have to give it up.  Also, as Fram said, it made me INSANE to have to constantly re-insert it throughout the night during those early days.  Our plan was to not use one at all but day 2 in the hospital after having her, the nurses said (looking weary), “Can we PLEASE give her a pacifier?”  We probably should have held strong but we didn’t know any better and said ok.  The other day we were walking along in the mall (one of her favorite activities) and she spotted the EXACT green pacifier they give out in the hospital, which is the one she still uses, on the ground (not hers) and I thought we were not getting out of there without a major fit since I would not let her touch it (for reasons she could NOT comprehend).  We introduced a bottle somewhere around 8 weeks.  It was a nightmare, I hate to say.  Lots of screaming (mainly by DD).   I kind of wished we had done it earlier, but as a first time parent there are so many things to figure out and there’s never one right answer.  Actually, I’m sure that’s also true for second, third, fourth… time parents. 

Medford – how SAD!!  I just started calling daycares (I think we’re going to need it when we have #2) and I am so afraid of that.  I hope tomorrow is better for both of you.  And thank you for the sleep info – I think we might need to do something similar but I’ve sort of been in denial about changing anything. 

Winter – I feel for you!!  DD goes through this too at times.  I don’t have a lot of advice, just empathy.

AFM, I’m totally overwhelmed by everything right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

pacifier is up to you - we did offer one to our son for a few weeks but he would give us such a disgusted look and spit it out each time, so we gave up. Luckily, he occasionally sucks on his fingers but not that often (someone told me their son sucked so much on their thumb that the skin was raw). And the bottle - sometimes I wonder if we should have started it earlier as he was such a stubborn bottle resister (one of the toughest seen at daycare) but it made it easy to move to straw cups quickly since he was so not attached to the bottle... and he loves straw cups and trying to drink from a plain cup. It is really going to vary from child to child - his infant room teacher said they have seen babies who never had a bottle until daycare but will drink from one at daycare with no problems and then there are some like DS - who clearly knew how to drink from one (he would suck down a bottle rapidly at the end of the day like a pro at times) but plainly hated it, regardless of which bottle brand we tried. 

AFM, DS is now 16 months... and he is still not talking but clearly understanding what we say, and it is easy to tell when he can hear us but choosing to ignore us in favor of his toys. He used to not like us to leave him at daycare (I used to stay at drop off for like 15-30 minutes until he was ready to leave my lap or drop my fingers and even so, sometimes he would cry when I left - I have been lucky in that my work schedule is flexible enough for me to come in late on the days he really melts down), but the last 2 weeks, he has been walking in and immediately taking off for some corner with toys, and even when I catch his eye and say Bye-Bye, he just looks at me then turns back to whatever he was doing. It was tough during those mornings where he would be upset at my leaving, but he seems to be happy now to go to daycare. So we have been lucky with that (not so lucky in the milk - he seems to not like it, but luckily seems to love yogurt and cheese now, so we are just funneling those to him in hopes that maybe he will like milk later on). Who know how long we will get to enough these easy drop offs... I am just waiting for something to explode later on and he flails around every morning.