January - Infant and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Re: January - Infant and Toddlers

You're all giving me a complex.  I very rarely have all three kids for all every night during the week.  Someone is always doing an overnight somewhere, usually at my in laws for logistical reasons.  Last night DD1 and DS stayed so DD1 could sleep in and it seemed silly to bring DS home just to go to bed and get up and go the my in-laws today.  It gave us the ability to have some nice one on one with DD2.

When my SIL had her oldest, her OB told her that she should do an overnight away at 3 months and a weekend away at 6 months because having a baby doesn't mean that you stop being a couple.  I liked that advice although I didn't wait til 3 months with anyone before sending them to my parents for overnights.

I feel like it makes them adaptable and gives DH and I time to be a couple or organize the basement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

It was harder to leave DD at first because I was breastfeeding.  I think the first time she slept over somewhere was for a wedding when she was 14 months.  I remember it was very exciting, being at the wedding and drinking and frolicking without having to worry about driving anywhere or going home.  Then my husband drew my attention to the fact I had leaked breastmilk all over my silk dress (between the not nursing that night and then drink-fueled, vigorous dancing, it was bound to happen).  It was fun, but by the end of the evening a whole lot of non-parents were still partying away and we were totally pooped and looking for a reason to go home and sleep haha. 

It was kind of funny how everyone was toasting us and making jokes about the crazy sexiness that they were sure would ensue as soon as we got back to the room.  I pumped my aching breasts, stuck the milk in the minifridge, and collapsed into bed next to an already snoring husband haha.

After I weaned her (15 months) we started to leave her at my parents' or my in-laws' more often.  We don't do it that frequently, since frankly in many ways it can make things more complicated and we're not huge partiers anyway.  It's never not weird when she's not in the house.  I'll go in there reflexively before I go to sleep and she's not there. 

My FAVORITE thing about the times she's over someone else's house is that DH and I can both sleep in, not take turns getting up.  That's fantastic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fram-For some reason I can't reply to your post-  DS typically does not wake up for a feeding. I was at baby cafe months ago and was asking about pumping, DS must have been 4 mon, and said he is taking 4 oz. bottles, they said "woah, that's way too much"  So I cut back to 3 oz, he's up to 4 now.  I thought that was strange that they thought it was too much, but I'm no LC.     He has 5 feedings a day, 3 from me, and 2 4 oz. bottles when I am away.    Every baby is different so I wouldn't compare though! You know how much your LO needs.   :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I don't think never or rarely being away from your kids at night is smothering. My parent's went away ONCE my entire childhood without me-I certainly didn't feel smothered.

I've spent 5 nights away from DS total-4 in the hospital with DD, and 1 for a bachelorette party (and I woke up at 6am and literally twiddled my thumbs anxiously until it was acceptable to leave).

Though I do wish we had parents who could watch the kids so DH and I could go out...but physically my mother can't handle it, as well as DH's.

DD just started to belly laugh-I love this stage!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Very interesting conversation about leaving your LO's overnight. My due date is July 27th and I am in a wedding on the Cape on September 22nd. I know that we will probably have to have my parents stay with the baby for overnight. I have no idea how I will feel about that when the time comes. I could always drive home from the wedding, but we wouldn't even get home until 2am, so whats the point?

Now, to worry about fitting into that BM dress...a whole other situation!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - you'll be fine.  I assume since you're in the wedding it is a really close friend.  Your LO be just fine and your parents will LOVE taking care of baby. I wish I had left my twins more when they were tiny.  But my parents are older and I didn't think they could handle two for an overnight.  Looking back it was silly. 
    Having to fit into a dress 8 weeks after delivery is another story.  Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Liz, another option is getting your parents a hotel room for the night and bringing them and the baby with you!  If you're nursing, that might be easier for everyone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I was thinking the same thing, luv. 
    Liz - You'll figure it out when the time comes!  Also, I know it was just an offhand comment, but there is absolutely a chance you'll have no problem fitting into that dress.  Let's hope for the best!  :o)

I have never left DD overnight, but DH stayed out one night for a bachelor party.  I don't think it would necessarily be SO hard for me, but nothing has come up yet and I haven't felt the need to spend alone time with DH yet.  Maybe for our anniversary in May.

I was listening to WAAF on the way into work this morning.  Apparently some group is upset that Sesame Street no longer features BFing, as it did in the 70s and 80s.  (They played the clips from then.)  Anyway, it kind of turned into bashing women who BF as if we're all militants who want to indoctrinate everyone.  I was wishing so badly that I had the phone number to call in and tell them to chill!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, I heard that too!!!  I was SO mad.  I turned the station and then turned it back.  I had to tell myself that they were just jerks and they wouldn't listen even if I called.  I was just flipping, so I don't know how they normally are, but I hate that they are poisoning the ears of the impressionable youth.  :)

re: going away overnight.  The only reason I haven't done it is because my only option would be my parents, and I feel really guilty because my mom already cares for her part of the time when I'm working.  And obviously my husband, but I am not really interested in going away just for kicks without him.  I need more time with him, not less!  If I had an opportunity for a good reason, though, that would be different.
    Liz, I think if you can go to the wedding without worrying the whole time you definitely should.  It will be a great break!  And you won't have to be quiet in the hotel room like you would if baby and parents came, too.  It'll just be you, husband, and perhaps your good friend Pump.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In Response to Re: January - Infant and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I guess I am in the minority.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

I’m there with you, Poppy.  Between work stuff, the boards I’m on, my book club & a handful of “mom-dates,” I’m probably out a couple nights a month, on average.  I try to time things so I’m home for bedtime, but sometimes that just doesn’t happen.  And DH and I have taken a long weekend away, and had several nights and a few random overnights without DD.  That works for us.  Of course, we’re lucky in that we have lots of local family so we feel pretty comfortable with our sitters. 
     I was actually a bit bummed that I was passed over for a conference b/c everyone assumed I wouldn’t want to travel.  While part of me doesn’t, that part could be swayed by the prospect of two nights in a luxury hotel with room service, while DH plays the role of GC1016 at home, and in this particular fantasy, spends all 48 hours frazzled and wondering how I do it all, and resolving to send me flowers at work. 

I’m not saying the alternative is bad, I just don’t feel guilty for my nights out or inappropriately enthusiastic correction of my boss re: future two-night conferences, “OH MY GOD I WOULD DEFINITELY GO ABSOLUTELY WHEN’S THE NEXT ONE DETROIT SOUNDS MAGICAL LET ME GO HOME AND PACK!!!!!!!!!!”

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - after I posted I was thinking what the others have said, - get an extra hotel room for your parents and take everyone.  If you're in the wedding you probably have to go to the rehersal dinner which means two nights away from home.  Best to have the baby and the Ma and Pa sitting team along. it will lower your anxiety by a mile!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Good idea about the hotel! I will definitley dicuss that when the time comes.

I have a friend who gave birth to her son in June and her and her husband plan on going to Vegas in March for his 30th. Just goes to show everyone has different comfort levels.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son was born in September.  My ex and I went to Vegas the following July for a week.  We left my son with my parents.  I did call way too much the first few days, but he was fine, although a little more spoiled.  :)  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I have heard about petitions to bring BF back to Sesame Street. You can watch the videos on You tube..It's hard to believe that something that was acceptable 20-30 years ago is now not in many people's eyes. 

Fram- I am now eating my words, we had our 9 mon, pedi appt. today and she said DS should be taking more in his bottles!  Sometimes it's a struggle to get him to take even the 4 oz.  He is 17.8 lbs (12%) only up a lb from his 6 mon visit.    We have to start doing 3 meals a day too.. I wasn't too concerned about the solids since I thought most of their nutrition is supposed to come from milk before 12 mon.  Not sure I have time in my busy morning routine to feed him breakfast too.   I guess I am going to dip into my frozen stash and add more to his bottles. I don't want to add another pumping session and know I won't be able to get that much more milk during sessions at work. 
       It's not like DS ever seems hungry and wants more.  People always say he is "solid" and he seems heavy to me!  Anyone else have a baby with a low percentile in weight but didn't worry about it..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ajuly - I was a formula feeder, but at 9 months my son was probably 18 lbs. too.  He just made it to 20 lbs by 12 months.  At the time that allowed me to turn the car seat around (hooray!). I know that you all have been told to wait until 2 yrs. for that, but I was so happy to be able to finally see them properly in the rear view mirror.
    That being said - he was in the 4% in weight and my pedi just kept saying "he's a skinny kid. He'll be fine."
    He's still a skinny kid - but he's growing - his chart has a nice steady growth curve - it's just below average. When we went for the 2 yr. appt. he was in the 15%.
    You can't force feed him - he's going to eat what he wants.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

BTW - what's the point of showing nursing on Sesame Street?  Kids aren't supposed to watch TV until they are 2. By that time you're over the nursing stage anyway.
    I'm all for nursing and still feel sad sometimes that I wasn't able to, but I don't get why it has to become part of the programming on a kids show.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Poppy, im with you.  DD who will ber 3 on Sunday (cant believe it) has slept over my dads tons and tons of times.  Anytime they want to take her I gladly let her go.  I think it is good for both her and DH and I.  I dont think DS has slept out yet, only becuase my dad does not have the room for both kids but if he did, I would let them go.   DD has also stayed at both my sister in laws houses, that was while I was in the hospital with DS.

Regarding doctors:  DD first doctor was a male, I switched to a female in the same practice when she was about a year, just out of gender preference. I like the doctor but she is one not to remember anything and still introduces herselft to us when she sees us.   But, in her defense, as often as I can, I see the NP in the practice who is obsolutely the best.  She takes her time, Askes many questions, answers my questions in great detail.   I just keep the doctor but hardly every see her.

So DD will be 3 on sunday , no really updates on her.  DS will be 6 months on Saturday and I started the cereal last week and it is not going that well. I remember DD hating it to so we are just trying to work through this beginning and get him used to it.  Its frustrating and I know I am behind the 8ball on this.  Both kids have checkups next wednesday so ill see what the doctor says.  I can see him finally starting to get chubby so I know he is gaining weight because he dropped on the chart the last few visits.  We are currently moving so DS is back in the Fisher Price napper which I know is not the best but it is what it is for now and there is nothing I can do about it.  We are finally moving into a 3 bedroom house so each kid will have there own room and as an added bonus, there is a playroom which makes me even happier!  This is something we have been hoping for since we bought our barley 2 bedroom house, before we were even married, in 2005 before this housing crisis. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

AJuly, Both mine are skinny, but DS has been even more of a struggle.  DD always stayed on her 10-15% curve, but DS dropped down to 5% at his 4 month visit.  Now at 5 months he's hovering just under 13lbs.  He's breastfed and I've just increased his bottles during the day to 6oz (from 5oz)this week.  We also introduced cereal last Saturday, so I'm hoping to get some meat on his bones.  It's so tough on the mom to have skinny kids, but my peditrician doesn't worry and tells me I just have naturally skinny kids.  I'm fine with that... I guess!  What choice do I have?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ajuly - from the reading I have done, our own experience, and the experience of a few friends, it seems like there are very different pediatrician responses on this one.  Our LO was in perhaps 9% at her 15 month appointment and had dropped in the percentiles (yet had still gained a few ounces) since the 12 month appt.  Our pediatrician said, "she looks great, seems healthy, she's following her own little curve."  Other friends of ours were sent to a nutritionist by their concerned pediatrician, and the nutritionist said the same thing to them that our pedi had said to us!  Still other friends had their pedi tell them not to push food, but just to bring her in more frequently for weight checks.
    I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like there are other factors much more important than just being in a low percentile.  Being in a low percentile, in and of itself, is fine.  I think the other questions are things like: are they still gaining/growing?  are they eating and drinking enough to have normal diaper output?  are they eating and drinking healthy things (b-milk, etc)?  are they energetic with normal development?  et cetera.
    So if any other concerns apply, that's one thing, but if it's just a happy small baby, I have yet to hear a real medical reason to push them to eat more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

AJuly - babies, like people come in all shapes and sizes. We got just a bit of grief over our daughters size (at 16 months she's just barely 20lbs.), but I noted that both my husband and I were always the small kid in the class - we are small, so of course she's going to be small. I'd take the sizing thing with a grain of salt as long as your son is eating consistently, that's what is right for him.

As for the BFing on Sesame, pre-schoolers who watch Sesame Street often have new siblings that BF, and pre-schoolers also always seem to notice babies in the world, I think it would be prefectly fine to have BFing on Sesame.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Maybe I'll start a petition to get some kids with hearing aids on Sesame Street.  Seems like everytime I turn it on there is a down syndrome kid, a kid with glasses and a kid in a wheelchair. I've yet to see any kid with hearing aids.  The one story about ears on Elmo's World had a profoundly deaf child who didn't wear hearing aids and used sign language.
    frankly I'm thrilled that my two seem to prefer Curious George these days.  I think Sesame Street is pretty lame compared to what it used to be when I was a kid.
    Mostly I used to record the show and only let them watch Elmo at the end.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I was curious so I watched the Sesame Street BFing clips on youtube. One was from 1977 so the baby was probably the same age as me!  LOL. They were both very sweet and helped to explain to older kids what it was.  They didn't show a breast at all.  I can't imagine what the fuss was about. 

My DD sees me nurse DS all the time.  She just says "milk" and goes about her business.  It's totally natural to kids, so why do some adults have a problem with it? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - in the land of the "perpetually offended" someone always has a beef about something.  You can see the YouTube clip of Katy Perry and Elmo which never aired because a bunch of moms protested that she wasn't a good role model.
    The last time my DH watched any Sesame Street he was offended because they had some rapper on who was dressed like a priest.  I actually do think he had a point - they never would have let him dress up as a rabbi or muslim cleric.
    SS took a lot of heat last year because a group wanted Ernie and Bert to get married and they refused.  It's always something... :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm another one with a smaller kid...DD was 19lbs at her 12 month appointment...goes for her 15 month in a couple of weeks.  She's an active little person...always moving around.  And she eats well, snacking throughout the day, and telling us when she's hungry (she'll take my hand and walk me to the the fridge or the cupboard, then "mmm, mmm!"). 

She also started out really little (lowest weight was 4 lbs 11oz), so even though she's lower on the charts, her curve is great, she's reaching milestones, and she's doing well.  The charts can make you crazy!  Kind of like the books and articles can, if you you don't remember that these are guidelines or ideas and that you and your baby have to do what works for you.  

I will say, because of the frequent weigh-ins in the beginning, I have such anxiety at every pedi appointment until after the weigh in!  I just want it to be a gain, even if it's only an ounce.  If only I could give DD some of the extra 20-30 lbs I'd like to lose!   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - I was trying to think of a very non-meddling way to say that I wasn't so sure about what Baby Cafe said - or maybe it was true at 4 months, but not necessarily later.  For a while, the guideline I had seen and also heard from the pedi was 30-32 oz per days, so with 5 feedings, I figured 6 oz bottles made sense.  That being said, I think you know your DS best and you would know if he was hungry.  It could be that he compensates by taking more oz when he BFs, whereas I can tell that DD only takes a couple of oz at her last feeding of the day.
    I don't recall what your arrangements are, but could your caretaker feed DS breakfast?  I only BF DD in the morning and then day care feeds her a bottle, cereal, and fruit before her morning nap.  (Starting to phase out that bottle now.)

Quad - I held off on solids for a while too.  I think it was around 5 1/2 months that we started doing cereal here and there and then once  a day consistently.  I tend to stick to the later end of guidelines... Partially because I want her to stay my baby and partially because I see no need to make my life more complicated than it has to be :o)
    (But of course I would have fed her solids if I thought she was hungry.)

I don't have much of an opinion on the Sesame Street protest.  I have never watched it, even as a child, so I don't know what they tend to feature.  But I do agree with ML that a lot of pre-school aged kids have new babies in the house so it could help prepare them.  Just last week I had to explain what I was doing to a 3 year old.  But the only reason I brought it up was because of the disparaging conversation on WAAF.

We're on the other side of the issue.  The pedi was concerned that DD has gained too much weight at her 9 month appt - went from 55% to 85%.  I am worried about childhood obesity, but someone made a good point that I am going to try to remember - DH is 6'3" and 200+ lbs so it makes perfect sense that DD could be a bigger child.