January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

January Infants and Toddlers

Happy New Year to everyone (again)!

Home with a sick DD today.  She started vomitting Wednesday night, so we stayed home yesterday and today.  First time the poor thing has had a bug.  It was so terrible watching her vomit!!!  In the past two weeks, I've only gone to work on 1/2 and I have to say I am bored!

Anyone else have a bug recently?  Any tips for rookies?  Yesterday I made sure she drank a couple sips of water regularly.  I let her watch WAY more TV than usual, so that she would sit still with a towel draped over her in case she vomitted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

You have my sympathy - vomit is the worst!!  I can't remember how old exactly your LO is, but I think a bit younger than mine.  At 2.5, DD is starting to get the concept of "needing the bucket", but she still can't always get it, either with the precise aim or on time.  I just try to move her to a non-carpeted area if I see it coming.  :)

The only other tip I have is to let her eat whatever appeals to her.  I found my DD would eat some of those mildly sweet cookies, like nilla wafers, or there is an organic brand with the Sesame Street characters on the boxes.  She would sometimes eat the vanilla ones of those, or maybe animal crackers.  I'd let her nibble those all day so she'd keep something in her tummy.  I could never get her to drink pedialyte, but she will eat the pedialyte freezer pops.  GL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fram, I am sorry your little one is sick, I find vomiting so traumatic. My DD had thrown up a couple of times and honestly what surprised me the most was that I didn't start vomiting right along with her, even when she threw up on me.

I don't have too much beyond the regular advice. When we were little and really stomach sick for multiple days, my grandmother had us drink ungelled jello and that seemed to help alot. I don't know what it does or how it works, but I've done the same thing with DD and it does perk her quite up a bit.

Also, when I was in the hospital for severe morning sickness, the nurse showed me how adding just a little bit of juice to the water made it somehow easier to keep down. It made a WORLD of difference.

As for the TV, at this point you just need to keep her still and resting. I wouldn't think anything about letting her watch lots of TV (but keep in mind you'll have to break the habit when she's better).

We were all sick over the holidays, thankfully not a stomach bug and not at the same time, but a cold and achey thing. Very managable.

We are adjusting to post holiday life after a nice holiday. My aunt gave DD an advent calendar with a piece of chocolate every day. Now that Advent is over and the candy season has ended, we've been having nightly mini tantrums as DD demands her "trocolate treat." Lesson learned, no more chocolate advent calendars!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Happy New Year and happy Friday!

Fram - I'd try pedialyte, and try to get her to take a sip or so about every 15 mins, even if it means spooning it to her.  I've done that for every stomach bug that DD has had after her first where she became dehydrated and her balance of electrolytes got out of wack.  It comes in flovors, so hopefully she'll like it.  When she seems to be getting better do brat diet + yogurt.  Good luck and hope she's feeling better today.

Mine have been on a healthy roll for the past few weeks, but having just typed that I'm sure they'll get sick next week.  We start a new semester of Music Together on Sunday and DS (17 months)  is STILL putting everything in his mouth. Oh well, tis the season!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fram - my pedi suggested one teaspoon of pedialyte every 15 minutes, it's apparently enough to get the electrolytes into their system but not enough to induce more vomitting. Also, when I'm sick really cold drinks make me feel a million times better.  In general I drink my water room temperature but if I'm sick I load it with ice.  Not sure why it makes a difference but it does!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Hope your DD is on the mend soon, Fram. I don't have any tips...a few weeks ago I had food poisoning and thought I was going to die! Nothing helped. Hoping your DD's bug doesn't make its way to you!

AFM, an update to my sleep post- The past 3 nights DD has gone down much easier and STTN. In retrospect I think it was just her schedule that was thrown off (DH and I were off for 10 days and she went to daycare 4 of those days). Now I'm scared for when teething really starts!

Trouble- how are the music together classes? I signed DD and myself up for one that starts in a couple weeks. I'm excited to do something with her...last summer and on my leave we went to playgroups, etc and I miss doing that kind of thing with her. I thought it was very expensive, so I'm hoping it's worth it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Popsicles! When my kids are sick I can usually get them to suck on a popsicle to get some fluid into them. And I certainly have Sprout on a LOT when they are sick. Glassy eyed and feverish on the sofa all wrapped up, I figure the TV is about all they can handle. My son (and my husband) both love Lazy Town - what a wacky show! DD and I prefer Choloe's Closet. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Summer - It very much depends on the teacher, but we just love ours, so we love the class!  We started when DD was 17 months and DS was 8 weeks.  It was a good deal for us at that time because you don't need to pay for a younger sibling under 9 months.  Now it seems pretty expensive, but we love it so much and gives us a reason to get out of the house in the winter.  It's also good because as many adults as you want can come along, so if Dad wants to come too, or if Granny is visiting, no problem.  Our instructor is very loose and lets the kids get up and dance and have fun.  We went to a make up that was much more structured and I didn't like that it all.  It was very stressful trying to keep 2 toddlers in my lap!  Anyway, I'm sure that won't be a problem with your little one either way, and I'm sure she'll enjoy it.  Babies naturally love music.  Have fun!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Fram - I don't have any advice, but I hope DD gets better soon. Stomach bugs are the worst!

I am in need of some serious mealtime help -- DH and I are at our wits' end. DS (10 mos) is, frankly, pretty awful at meals. Other than crackers and Cheerios, there is nothing he'll reliably eat, and he fusses through most meals. He refuses stuff he liked before (sometimes even earlier that day!) and just generally whines/fusses/cries his way through. We have to do a constant rotation of toys, silly faces, songs, etc. to distract him enough to get some food into him. My mom sense tells me it's not teething (at least not usually -- there have been a few times when I think he's been genuinely uncomfortable). We switch between purees and finger foods. We let him play with the food.  We've tried moving mealtimes up and back. I feel like we've tried everything. I know around this age kids just want to play and some can't be bothered to eat, but I know he's hungry and I just want to get through a meal without a battle. Has anyone else gone through this?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fram - I don't have any advice, but I hope DD gets better soon. Stomach bugs are the worst!

I am in need of some serious mealtime help -- DH and I are at our wits' end. DS (10 mos) is, frankly, pretty awful at meals. Other than crackers and Cheerios, there is nothing he'll reliably eat, and he fusses through most meals. He refuses stuff he liked before (sometimes even earlier that day!) and just generally whines/fusses/cries his way through. We have to do a constant rotation of toys, silly faces, songs, etc. to distract him enough to get some food into him. My mom sense tells me it's not teething (at least not usually -- there have been a few times when I think he's been genuinely uncomfortable). We switch between purees and finger foods. We let him play with the food.  We've tried moving mealtimes up and back. I feel like we've tried everything. I know around this age kids just want to play and some can't be bothered to eat, but I know he's hungry and I just want to get through a meal without a battle. Has anyone else gone through this?

[/QUOTE]

Arcain, I can't offer any advice but we're starting to face this too. Even at 6 months and still on purees and cereal, DD usually whines through meals and frequently only eats half of her food. I know at this age it's not a big deal but I wonder how it bodes for the future! Interested to see the responses...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ugh, Summer, sorry you're dealing with it, too. Hopefully since she's that young she'll grow out of it -- when did you start her on solids? Could she just still be getting used to it? In DS's case, he was actually pretty good up until a couple months ago. Go figure.

BTW, congrats on the sleep improvement. Fingers crossed it keeps up! FWIW, DS's teething has never interfered with his sleep, so hopefully you'll be as lucky (and hopefully it keeps up for us!).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Arcain (and Summer), not much advice, other than to know that finicky eaters are very normal and, unfortunately, continue off and on for years.  My DD1 is almost three and still will happily eat something one night (like broccoli) and then freak out at the prospect of taking even one bite the next night.  

A few tips - 1) try to space out drinking of milk from eating because that whole milk (and formula) is pretty filling and they genuinely may not be hungry for food if they have recently had a bottle or cup of milk 2) keep putting "rejected" foods back on his plate, night after night.  it takes them a crazy long time to accept new foods and soemtimes even try them.  One or two nights of rejecting a food is definitely not enough evidence that they don't "like" it. 3) don't get too caught up in how much your toddler eats per meal, it's better to look at his eating habits over the course of a week.  Usually kids will eat one good meal a day or two good meals every few days, and that's normal.  My DD always ate better at breakfast than dinner because by dinnertime she was pooped. Still does eat better at breakfast. Adjust expectations accordingly and 4) trust that they know what there diatery needs are. Babies/toddlers aren't programmed to overeat or undereat like we are.  They somehow know what they need and get in the calories they need. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Happy New Year!  I still can't believe 2012 is over, it was all a blur. DS will be turning 1 in a couple weeks- he's been such a fun, happy baby that I pray he keeps some semblance of that as he becomes a toddler.

Who offers the Music Together classes, is it an Isis thing? DS starts dancing anytime he hears music - including what looks like a twist move with just his arms if he's sitting down- so a class might be fun.

I asked about carseats on planes before our one other trip and got helpful responses. DS has now moved to a Britax Marathon - has anyone flown with one of these? they just seem so bulky but I really want him to have his own seat so want to take it on the plane (JetBlue). Using the infant seat with the snap & go was so easy at the airport that I wish he could still fit in it!

Hope everyone is doing well-

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-at 10 mo your DS is getting most of his nutrients from the bottle/breast. Food is just for exploration and play. Try not to stress over it, do too many things to meal time. Meal time is what it is-it that means in your house its a family meal where you all sit and talk, that's what he's learning right now. Consumption of food will come later. When you don't stress about it, and just leave it be to a normal situation for you and your husband things will fall into place. As our pedi says "at 1 year the gift your child gets is their own will, and you have to allow them to eat what they want from what's offered." Easier said than done.

AFM DD had another bought of illness which keep us up and not sleeping. Well, kept me up and not sleeping, DD slept just fine on me. She got into the bad habit of expecting and getting some milk when ever she woke up, so after she felt better she still woke up looking for milk. One night of only water offered and that fixed that prob, back to sleeping through the night. yay! now to get her to go to her crib awake is the next task!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Hi Everyone!  I haven't been around much lately since I gave birth to my DD 14 months ago, but I might (or might not) be pregnant again and it prompted me to start lurking around.  Nice to see some familiar names!  I'm glad to see the positive reviews of the Music Together classes--I have my DD signed up for one starting soon, because she loves music and dancing and it seems like she might really enjoy it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Happy new year, everyone!

Sorry about the sicknesses. We've had some, but thankfully not the stomach bug (yet...)  DS still has a bad cough but it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

Question about those velcro swaddle blankets: DS sleeps really well all swaddled, but is busting out of his size Large swaddle-mes.  I can't seem to find any "extra large" online - has anyone found any that are larger than the large swaddle-mes?

Lily - Lazy Town totally freaks me out!

TC - you should be able to find MT classes at http://www.musictogether.com/  We've taken a few and have liked them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Summer and Arcain - The other thing about food portions is that you don't really know how much is "all his/her food" and how much is "half" or whatever.  For a baby, just because they ate 2 jars yesterday doesn't mean they now need 2 jars all the time.  Trust that they'll eat the quantity they need.  Even at 2.5, DD might eat half a piece of pizza one day and 3 pieces the next!  Try to accept when they're finished and keep the meal pleasant for them.  I know this is WAY easier said than done.  I still have to stop myself from pushing it when DD says she's done.

My personal opinion about Music Together is that it's great for kids who can walk.  They advertise it for 9 months and up, but for us I don't think it would have been worth the money until they can actually get up and participate.  (Currently, DD goes with my mom so I've only been to one class, but she loves it!)  Also note that MT is like a "brand" with CD's, songbooks, a philosophy, whatever -- and then the classes you take are offered by different service providers using those materials.  So if you go to the website Poppy mentioned, you might get a lot of different providers.  Might be worth asking around your area to see if there are any particularly good providers or teachers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Rama, Kam, and Med, for the food advice. DS is definitely better at breakfast and probably worst at dinner, so tiredness probably factors in. He goes to bed so early, though, it's hard to keep dinner from bumping right up against bedtime on weekdays.

I  think part of our stress is that our pedi is big on transitioning babies off the bottle and onto grownup food by 1 year, and we've only managed to eliminate 1 bottle per day so far, so I know DS will need to be better at eating real food before we can make any progress there. I'm also just fairly certain he's not full when he starts refusing stuff he seemed to like (sometimes he'll do it at the very beginning of a meal after he's given me the hungry whine). But we do keep trying stuff he's refused and try to go with it. He'll ALWAYS eat Cheerios and crackers, so that's a plus.

Poppy, how old is DS again? I used Halo sleep sacks with the swaddle flaps and when DS was about 5-6 mos I went to get him the next size up and realized they only sell them in size small, which I think is up to about 14 or 15 lbs? That seemed to be the case for other brands, too. I forget the name of the swaddle blanket everyone swears by, but I almost bought one of those until I saw it said "up to 6 months." In our case, we just went with it and as a result learned that we no longer had to swaddle him to get him to sleep soundly, but I've heard people that swear their kids had to be swaddled until a year+, and I'm not sure what they use! GL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the well wishes and tips!  Seemed to be a 24hr bug.  DD did well on Friday until we got overly confident and fed her a full dinner! 

Med - I'm glad to hear she may get the bucket concept sooner than I thought, though I hope she doesn't need one again soon!

The MT classes sound intriguing - I'll check out that link.  I was just thinking that I'd like to put DD in a dance class fairly soon, but couldn't quite picture how that works for 2 yos.  We'll be going to a storytime at the library soon, so maybe I'll see if any parents have recommendations.

Arcain - Not too much to add, but I also have heard many times that LOs tend to eat the least at dinner time.  DD generally does fine at dinner, but if it's 7:00 or later it's pretty much guaranteed that she'll eat less than usual.  I don't mean to imply that you're doing this at all, but I think this kind of routine should be avoided....  I witnessed a family member's routine where the LO (15 months) wouldn't finish or sit still for long at meals, so then 30 mins later they'd give her a yogurt because she didn't eat breakfast, and then they'd try lunch but she wasn't hungry (maybe because she had a yogurt), so then 30 mins later they'd be feeding her something else.  Seemed like a cycle that needed to be broken to me.

We're struggling right now with how to discipline DD when she throws dinner all over the floor... If she appears to be done, I take the tray away and make her help me pick up the food.  (Thankfully she gladly helps.)  Often, I suspect she really is hungry and she'll gladly keep eating if I take the tray away and feed her, but I don't want to make that a habit...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Fram, glad DD is feeling better! That is good advice, b/c I've fallen into that trap although I haven't made a habit of it. I do wonder if we should start introducing regular snacks, though, b/c, like I mentioned, he's still hungry for his between-meal bottles and the pedi wants us to move off of those. Plus, if he won't sit for long at meals, maybe it makes sense to space them out? My major barrier (and it's not really major) to doing this is not wanting to put him in the high chair 5x a day (and I've heard you aren't supposed to give snacks "on the run" which for DS is basically anytime he's not confined to the chair :-)).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-you still have 2 months to wean off bottles. Try not to stress it now. A lot happens in 2 months with babies. And if you still have some bottles after 12 mo, its not the end of the world. And regular snacks are a good idea. Its all about routine-hence the dinners/meals is just routine right now for him to learn now, nutrients still come from breast/formula. Its sooo tough though thinking our little ones aren't eating enough and are hungry. Then adding on the pressure from the pedi to have bottles packed away before the 1st birthday...then the playground judgemental banter of "oh, you give your child processed cheerios? my child only eats quinoa I have gathered myself from the field while teaching Algebra in Mandarin." You are doing everything right for your little guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KAM - ha ha ha!!!  Love that about the quinoa.  Agree - it's hard to resist the pressures.

As for the pedi's advice about bottles and 12 months... well, I BF'ed DD during the day until she was 15 months (then going to just bedtime / wakeup), and I'm sure no modern pedi would have said I should stop.  So I don't see why formula should be so different.  All "deadlines" are just made up - nothing happens if you miss them!  And if your pedi makes you feel like you're in trouble for missing them, find a new doctor!  (I guess there is the thing about learning to drink from different types of cups, but you don't have to eliminate bottles 100% just to introduce cups.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - DS will be 5 months on Thursday, and he was 14 lbs at his 4 month appointment. Maybe I just need to deal with no more swaddles! Online, the size "large" says (in the "specifications" section) that it goes to 22 lbs, but we have size large and there is no way a 22lb baby is fitting in there!

Re: Music Together - we did our first class when DD was probably 9 or 10 months old and could crawl. I knew it would be a different experience for her than for the older kids, but I really wanted her exposed to music in a structured environment. That said, she mostly crawled around and bounced on my lap. Even when we did 2 classes when she was a year and 1.5 years, she didn't get fully into it. I think now, at 2 years old, she would really fully participate if I enrolled us again.

Fram - I've been wondering about dance and other lessons too. Please share what you find out! :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hahaha, KAM, love the quinoa comment! If I didn't have DH, I'd unfortunately already be falling victim to that guilt. He finally had to say to me, essentially, "You've dealt with how picky he is. Do you really want to try to force everything whole grain and organic down his throat when he's begging for the Ritz cracker?" We do try to go for unprocessed foods when we can, but it's just not always reasonable!

Med and KAM, thanks for the reassurance on the bottles. I won't worry about it too much :-).

Poppy, if I'm remembering right, the SwaddleMes are the ones that look kind of like cocoons, right? If so, definitely no way a 22 lb baby is fitting in those! Like I said, it was right around the 5 mos point that we stopped swaddling DS. We were hesitant b/c swaddling (thanks to some ladies on this board, I think) helped him STTN and I was terrified he'd stop without the swaddle, but he was fine. Hopefully yours will be too!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yes, the little cocoons. :) I thought my DD was in them much longer than 5 months, but maybe I'm misremembering! It's all a blur. I'll keep squeezing DS in as long as I can then take it from there!

Oh, and honestly, I don't understand all the bottle pressure! DD didn't give hers up until she turned 2, and her teeth and everything are completely fine. And she can drink out of a cup. The extra time with the bottle did not stunt her growth in any way. I hate all this pressure about things that are not harmful. I understand if kids are going into bed with bottles and sucking on them all night long, perhaps it's not good for them, but not all 1-year-old-plus bottle use is harmful. We have enough stress!