January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

Glad you weren't offended by that anecdote, Arcain!  Just seemed relevant to the discussion.  I completely understand how hard the transitions are when it comes to feeding (and sleeping too!) but try not to stress too much.  I took it pretty slow with solids.  At 10 months, I would guess that DD was only getting solids twice a day and rarely getting snacks, but she was off of bottles before 14 months, so it'll work itself out! 

I can't quite remember what the spacing was like when we were trying to increase solids... I think up until almost a year we still gave her bottles first and then solids soon after.  They did kind of alternate, but were close together.

Poppy - The bottle pressure is like everything else - you can't win no matter what you do!  I started phasing (sp?) out about one bottle per week right before DD turned one, so that she was completely on sippies w/milk before 14 months... And of course MIL said she was still a baby and should be getting bottles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

"oh, you give your child processed cheerios? my child only eats quinoa I have gathered myself from the field while teaching Algebra in Mandarin."

LOL this is the best quote ever. This is how I feel about most parenting topics like formula vs breastfeeding, cloth vs disposable diapers, etc...there are always people prancing around on their high horses somewhere!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

In response to summerbride09's comment:

In response to KAM2007's comment:

"oh, you give your child processed cheerios? my child only eats quinoa I have gathered myself from the field while teaching Algebra in Mandarin."

LOL this is the best quote ever. This is how I feel about most parenting topics like formula vs breastfeeding, cloth vs disposable diapers, etc...there are always people prancing around on their high horses somewhere!

And this is why I love these boards -- kind, respectful, intelligent moms who don't tear each other down over these kinds of topics. Honestly, I haven't encountered anyone personally who's been really offensive over this stuff, but in the reading I've done I know they're out there, so it's nice to have a safe haven here!

Thanks for all the bottle/solids advice. It may be coincidence, but without doing anything really differently, I approached dinner last night with a much calmer, less rigid attitude and DS was great for a good 5 minutes or so -- feeding himself from the tray and being generally happy about it. Then, when the whining started, I tried a few tricks but ended the meal long before I would have before, and, lo and behold, he did not starve and went to bed very happy (even smiled at me as I was zipping him in his sleep sack, which just turned me to goo!).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I have another question that's been driving me nuts: how do you all handle the "no bulky coats in the carseat" issue? This is more for those with infants, though it probably applies to toddlers, too. Do you actually put the baby in his coat, take him to the car, take the coat off, then repeat the whole process when getting out?

We've survived the cold days so far by using DS' big winter coat or snowsuit when we're not going in the car, and then using his fleece bunting for the car, since it's warm but not bulky enough to cause an issue (I think!?). But he's growing out of his bunting and, cheapskate that I am, I'd rather not spend $40 on another one that he'll use for 2 more months just for going in the car. But I also cannot imagine taking the coat on and off for car rides -- he struggles every time we put on/take off clothes. Am I missing a magic solution here? (I feel like that's the question inherent in all my posts here :-))

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

heh heh... I also always feel like I'm missing a magic solution.  :)  Glad to hear dinner was a little more pleasant!

For the coat, I would say it depends how far you're going outside.  We have a condo, but a parking space just outside.  I put DD in a fleece jacket, hat, and mittens, and go to the car that way.  Once we're in the car, I do have blankets if she wants one.  If we're going someplace where we'll be outside for longer, I'll bring the bulky winter jacket with us and put it on when we get there.  But if we're going to the grocery store or Target or whatever, I just keep the fleece on and try and move fairly swiftly from the car to the store.  I feel like it's fine - the hat helps a lot, and the fleece jacket is reasonably warm for the short distances.  You could probably get a fleece jacket at this point in the year for a pretty low price.  I can't remember how many months your LO is exactly, but we've been using this plan since she grew out of the infant bucket seat (we had one of those fleece things that went over the seat, so it was a non-issue then).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Ahhh, winter coats...yes, you put the coat on, take it off as you load the child into the car seat. Its a total pain. However, you can try this trick: buckle your son into his seat, get the straps tight, then don't losen the straps to take DS out of the car, if you can buckle him back up with the tight straps while he is in his coat you can leave the coat on. I've not found it worth it to do this trick. ('ve found my kids to get hot in their car seats so I'd always take their coats off. I rarely stop to run an errand when I have both kids. Just not worth the pain.

The parents/posters on this board are great. They are a few grumpy/judgy folks here, but its easy to spot them and ignore them.

DD got her first huge goose egg on her forehead last night. Felt sooo bad since it popped up immediately (she was running with her brother, tripped and hit her forehead on a door jam-ouch). DH is not good in such situations, total panic ensued with him. I had to warn DH that if the kids ever get a cut on their heads that it bleeds a lot-figure I should warn the guy since DD seems to be accident prone-I just paid the ER & CT scan bill from her last head injury. Sigh. Thankfully she seems fine today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

DD#2 is 7 months and has a fleece full-body zip-up thing that, while warm, is not that puffy.  I put her in that.  DD#1 is almost 4 and she's quite good at putting her coat on, walking outside, climbing into her seat, taking her coat off, and waiting while I strap the baby in.  I strap her in and if it's really cold she'll put her arms through her sleeves with the coat backwards across her chest. 

This works because I run outside and start the car and let it warm up.  I usually have to make an extra trip with bags anyway so I bring the bags to the car, start it, then go back and get the girls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I also really appreciate the non-judginess of most posters.  Not only that, but it's nice to be able to post my opinions/approaches/experiences without coming off as judgy myself - at least I hope!  It seems like posters often respect others' opinions or agree, whereas in real life I sometimes have to bite my tongue bc the people might not know where I'm coming from... like recently when a group of moms were saying they let their LOs watch as much TV as they like... I just smiled and nodded and did not say I try to limit it as much as possible :o)

KAM - So sorry to hear about the goose egg!!  I remember getting some as a kid and not looking forward to it with my own kids.  Bruise today?

Winter coats... I'm just going to say it.  This is probably the one area where I don't always follow "the rules".  Sometimes I put DD in her bulky winter coat for the (literally) 1 mile ride to daycare and back.  I held off as long as possible, putting her in not-as-warm coats, since she's outdoors so briefly, but now she sometimes wears her down coat.  I also keep a blanket in the car.

Thank you for the strap suggestion KAM.  I had forgotten about that and it would ease my mind when she is wearing a heavier coat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy, if you feel you need the swaddle type of thing, you can look at the woombie. we use that for our 4 month old and she is a big girl. we switched to that because the swaddle blankets were not working, not even the miracle blanket, so I found this product - this one, she could not wriggle out of, and she also seemed to sleep better. Once she starts to be able to roll, we will be switching to their convertibles and working towards a regular sleep sack. It is a snug sack, so it is going to be a change. Oddly, she will not let it be put on before 8PM at night, and at 7/7:30, she starts trying to bust out of it - but otherwise, she sleeps soundly other than when she wants to nurse (usually just a few times at night) or when she is too congested to sleep. And after 8PM, she seems to accept it as a part of her night routine... nurse until she is drowsy, then lights go out, and I put her into it and leave her in it, and she is content to sleep.

But if your LO is already close to rolling, it may be time to just try moving to regular arms-free sleep sack.

So right now, DS is showing more interest in DD... it is funny to watch them. He will say "DD's hair!" and touch it, then "DD's feet" and tickle them, then "DD's eyes!" and DH panics and swopes down. And he will go on his tummy next to her while she does tummy time, and encourage her. There is no doubt that to DD, DS is the most fascinating person in the house (unless she is hungry or upset about something).

We are having issues with one of the boys in DS's room. We have been teaching DS to say "no,<boy's name>!" when the boy starts trying to shove him or poke him. And then the boy bursts into tears. But the boy's behaviour whenever we see him borders on bullying-type of behaviour... although bullying at 2 years old seems too young, but he will purposely pick on the smallest kids. For a while, he was just picking on all the girls, and the girls finally really shoved him back hard (which DH watched), and now he just pickest on the smallest girl in class. DS is moving up in the next few weeks, so I have managed to keep DH from going crazy over it, but DH is really unhappy about this boy in the class since he does most of the pickups and dropoffs this month. He has seen the boy delibrately tackle the smallest girl a few times, and trip her, and push her. And sometimes get into DS's face during drop off when DS is trying to put his coat off or get his things from his cubby. I did see myself what he meant when I did a drop off, and the boy immediately started to poke hard at DS's chest, so I encouraged DS to say "no, <boy>' and he did softly, and the boy backed off in tears. I have told DH that a child acting like that is usually reflecting his home life - and that the best we can do is to teach DS to use his words to say "no, boy!" when he want the boy to stop. This is the only child that DS will announce to us "he pushed me! He picks on girls! etc" when we ask him about his day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I'm with Medford on the coat issue... but I also have an extremely hot child.  He wears a sweater and a medium thick fleece (which fits in the car seat).  When we get inside he wants to take them both off immediately too.  We have the prerequisite big, puffy jacket, which he was deathly afraid of until a few weekends ago for some odd reason.  He will now finally wear that if we are going outside to play or stay out for any period of time (and I got a hand me down extra that I leave at daycare for their outside play).  He would be drenched if he wore that in his car seat for even the 10 mins to school.  I remember trying to use the super soft fleece car seat liner when he was an infant... disaster for that poor guy.  He looked like he'd taken a shower.  I could've put him in there with only a onsie and brought him into the artic and he'd be good then :-)  The hat and mittens really help keep their heat in... I wear mine all the time often with a much lighter coat as I also hate the bulk of the big coats. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - I should have mentioned that I think that's true for us as well!  I'm always suggesting a sweater or socks when we're at home, and DD wants no part of it.  Sometimes she'll put one on for fun, and then soon she says she's hot and wants it off.

cwagner - that's so sad.  You're really kind to be thinking of the boy and his home life, and I think you're right on with what you're teaching your own DS.  I have to say, though, if it's so extreme that you or your DH are seeing it frequently, I think it warrants talking to the daycare.  It sounds like this poor kid needs help, and it doesn't sound like the teachers have the strategies they need to deal with it (or maybe it's just so crazy at pick up / drop off that they don't see).  But I think it's worth bringing up, especially if your daycare is like ours and while they will soon be in different rooms, they may be back together again if the other kid moves up as well.

Somebody else had a very similar issue recently... KMMZ or KAM maybe?  CT-DC weighed in.  This is definitely an issue that's near and dear to my heart because my DD will "freeze" when something like that happens to her and I would love for her to say words and/or get away from the situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Cwag-yes, that was me with the little boy who had aggression issues in DS's class. We knew the boy when he was 2 and he was fine. then at 3 something changed and this little boy would punch scratch, bite and hit DS while they were playing. We had DS move rooms to get away from the child then the center moved the child to DS room to break up the dynamic in another room. sigh. we insisted that the teachers shaddowed DS when he played with this child. The time DS came home with scratches around his neck was when I went full-out Mama Bear on the center. They never told me the full story, but they had been working with the child and his family. Eventually the child left the center and peace has been restored. I felt so bad for the kid, he seemed like he could be a very sweet child at times, had been at age 2, but something at home clearly became too much for him and he started acting out. When it comes to safety the center must act quickly. If the little boy is tripping the smallest girl in the class you must speak up (or DH). Inform the teachers, talk to the director about what they are doing to address the issue. I don't just go Mama Bear for my own kids, but for the kids in the day care room too. I've been known to put a childs shoe back on (even shirt as a little boy ran around shirtless in his room), give hugs to crying kids. I've called the director about a teacher not addressing crying children (not tantrum crying, upset hurt crying). Talk to the center about what they are doing, if the mother of the smallest girl doesn't know this is happening, she surely will appreciate you stepping in to ask those questions. Even as a parent if you tell the little boy to give DS his space, and nice touches that will help send the correct message. We're all in this together.

I will admit-I've been known to keep the kids in their coats for a 2 min drive.

DD's egg has gone down, but a 2 inch bruise outlining the door jam on her forehead. At least no formal pictures this week-she did somethign similar 5 min before her school picture-the teachers brushed her hair to try and cover it up. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have a couple random questions...

Once in a while DD's lips look dry.  Is it cool to put something on them?  I figure it's OK if I stick with something basic like vaseline, but my lips are in terrible shape from years of using too many products, so I don't want to get her started on a bad habit.

Does anyone put conditioner in their LO's hair?  I use BabyGanics foaming shampoo and body wash, but once in a while I've put conditioner in her hair.  Kind of similar to above - I don't want to use it if it's not necessary.  I can't even remember why we tried it... I think with the winter weather her hair seemed drier and straighter all of a sudden, and we only wash it every 3 days.

I can't believe how mmuch DD is talking.  It continues to blow me away!  This morning she walked into the bathroom where I was getting ready, handed me her little bowl, and said "I want mo" (more fruit) so clearly and assertively. (And of course I said, Please?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Lots to catch up on!  Its been a busy week...

You had me cracking up with the quinoa comment, KAM!

DS had his 6 months appt earlier this week and he is doing great! He was 17 lbs and 27 in long.  

My pedi suggested that we should feed DS 2 meals a day by now but I just started him on food last week! And he is just getting use to it.  Also with working full time and trying to find the time in the morning to feed him is going to be tough.  I know I could pack him with food to eat but dont want to!  I want to be the one feeding him.  I guess its a control thing which is a weird feeling for me since typically Im not like that.  I felt kinda pressured by her to get him eating more often.  She also suggested that he should start using a sippy cup with water and finger foods by 9 months.  I feel like its so early but what do I know Im a first time mom!  Fram- Its good to hear that your story about food.  I just need to remind myself not to stress about it.   

DS is still in the infant bucket seat but I just put him in a fleece jacket with a blanket and a hat. The car is warm before I bring him out to it.  I guess Ill have that problem when he gets bigger. 

cwag - Sorry to hear about your DS problem at school.  I would def mention something to the school about it if you and DH are really concerned.   I feel bad for all involved!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram - I put aquaphor on (mostly around) DD's lips before bed - they're really red and irritated, and look better if I remember for a few days in a row.  Let me know if you find anything better, though!  Oh, and we don't use conditioner, but I do use a spray detangler on her now.  It was getting impossible to comb her hair.  I like it because you can use it on both wet and dry hair.  I got the Rainbow brand (bought it at Whole Foods).  There was also a California Baby one, but I couldn't tolerate the smell (pg nose!) - the Rainbow one smelled milder and the smell fades quickly.

Pugs - we didn't start solids until 6 months either.  Don't worry about it.  Only do as much as he wants.  Maybe your pedi has a lot of kids who start solids at 4 months - either way, no "right" answer about this.  I will say that we did start water just a bit after starting solid foods.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi all! Haven't been here in awhile, but I need some advice!

DD is 6 mos tomorrow (can't believe it!) She is still a little peanut weighing in around 14lbs. We started her on solids about a month ago and usually she does well. However, lately she is throwing up after them. I mean like projectile vomiting, and then everything is fine. I don't even know if she notices when she does it. But it's frustrating because she is a little one, and I am trying to get some weight packed on.

Just some more info: She takes an average of 28-32 ounces of formula a day and I always wait atleast 2 hours before giving any solids. 

I don't think it's an allergic thing because she has done with with pears, squash, sweet potatoes and today the YoBaby yogurt.

Her 6 mos appt. is on Monday, so I will talk to pedi then, but any advice in the meantime would be great!!

ETA: I hope everyone is doing well! I have A LOT of catching up to do! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

It's been quite a while since I've caught up here!  Happy New Year to all.   DS is 21 mon. and is also having a language explosion like Fram has said about her DD.  It's so fun to see what he'll come up with.  He's with a sitter and her kids during the day and I attribute his language to them, as he hears older children all day instead of children his age.  

Fram- I put aquaphor on DS lips when they get bad. That's the only thing I can put on my lips either, figure it's safe enough.  
    Also to respond to your post a while back about throwing food, we have the same thing going on here.  Actually as I type, DS is holding a piece of pasta hostage over the side of his tray and saying "Time OUt!" as he threatens to drop it.  I'm in trouble with this one.   I've started limiting the amount of food I put out and using time outs if he throws the food after a warning not to do it.  I've been trying to be consistent about it.  He seems to be doing better.  He used to be a great eater and now hes the kid that one day loves something and the next day won't eat it.  I've also done the eat a piece of broccoli before you get more pasta, and he goes for it!   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

OT here but we could really use lots of good thoughts and prayers...we accepted an offer on our townhouse yesterday after only 5 days on the market (!) and put an offer in on a new home yesterday afternoon....we're now waiting to hear if it's accepted, denied or if they'll make a counter offer...DH and I are just dying here waiting for the phone to ring!!

Send us good vibes please!!

Edit: Apparently our agent sent their agent the offer yesterday (Sat.) afternoon; however, their agent then held onto it and didn't communicate the offer to the seller until sometime today. Our agent said they asked for the complete written offer so he's hopeful that they'll work with us; however, we probably won't have an answer til tomorrow. He knows how anxious we are...we've been trying for 3 years to make this happen!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Praying all the pieces fall easily into place, summer!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, in the same boat as you! We are putting our townhouse on the market in 2 weeks and are looking to move to Andover. Been going to a ton of open houses. Very stressful time!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Good luck to everyone with real estate deals in the works!

Liz, has DD's vomit issue subsided?  I was thinking: how long has she been eating yogurt?  If it's a newly introduced food, it might be that she's not quite ready for dairy yet. 

Edit: sorry. Just reread more closely.  I thought you'd said those were the foods she's eaten.  She's vomited with all of them?  Maybe she's over-filling herself or something?  odd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto - good luck to those involved in real estate adventures! 

Liz - That is alarming! I'm curious what your pediatrician says, if you have time to post after speaking to them.

Re: lips - ditto Aquaphor (also good for behind-the-ear crusties), and I have let DD put on vaseline and Blistex occasionally.

Do you all know about Zulily.com? I love their site, and today they have some especially good sales for Columbia brand, and a brand of very pretty semi-formal dresses for little girls. The 6-8 week delivery time can be annoying, however I've saved money on a lot of name brands by ordering through them.

DH is alone with both kids today and totally stressing me out with constant texts, like "G won't eat more than 3 ounces!" and similar.  I'm about to turn off my phone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for all the coat advice! I think I just needed reassurance that it's okay to put him in just a fleece if we're only running to and from the car (and, vice versa, that others do bend the carseat/big coat rules for short trips -- my DS is always pretty warm, so I don't expect to have to do that unless I forget to warm up the car or something). I'm definitely not going to bother with new bunting. Between his fleece jackets, winter coat, and snowsuit we should survive :-).

Cwag - Sorry you're dealing with that issue at daycare. I haven't had to deal with anything like that, but I would hope the provider is giving you some feedback about how s/he is handling it. I realize they can't control the kids' behavior, especially if something is going on at home, but you should at least be able to feel like it's recognized and being dealt with in some way.

Pugs - Sounds like your pedi has the same philosophy as mine. We've felt pushed (not beyond our comfort, but to the point where we're like "Really...?") on a number of things, mostly related to solids and getting DS off the bottle by a year. As with everything, you need to evaluate the advice based on what you're comfortable with and what your gut tells you is right, so don't stress if you're behind your pedi's timetable, particuarly if DS doesn't seem ready.

That said, both the increasing meals and letting others feed him are both things that will have to happen eventually, so it's probably a good idea to push yourself, even if it's just a little at a time. Two "meals" may really be just sitting him in the high chair for 5-10 minutes and getting him to take a few bites at first. What matters more at this point is building his familiarity and giving him practice. As for others feeding him: I was nervous with others feeding DS solids at first, too, so I would only give my dad and our daycare lady foods I'd already fed him a few times. As time has gone on, I've become comfortable enough that I'll give them anything he's tried and liked once. GL -- it will start to click!

Liz -- DS did, and still occasionally does, spit up his solids, but usually only a little and never projectile. I'd definitely ask the pedi, although I'd take comfort in the fact that she doesn't seem bothered by it. GL with your house selling/search! 

Summer -- GL with your house stuff, too! It took us 2+ years, including a short sale that never came through, to find our house, so I can relate to your anxiety! So awesome that you got an offer so quickly, though. I haven't been through the selling process but that's the hard part nowadays!

AFM -- I swear DS has a psychic sense about stuff I post on here. Shortly after my mealtime lament, he started being much better with eating. There's still whining and an occasional meltdown, but he's getting really into feeding himself finger foods and is generally much better at mealtimes.

I think someone on here said awhile ago that they have times when they just fall in love with their kids all over again. It's happened to me a few times and now more than ever. DS is so awesome right now. He's having a developmental explosion: pulling up to stand, crawling everywhere, babbling like he's saying actual words, and flirting like crazy with anyone he locks eyes with. He's such a little person now!

Just out of curiosity, what "counted" as your kids' first words? DS was sitting on DH's lap yesterday, patting the cat (and slowly learning "Gentle, gentle!" :-)), and after DH repeated "Kitty" several times, DS said something like "Dih duh" several times in a row. Could have been a complete coincidence, but after the second time, DH and I stared at each other and were like "Was that....?" Would totally figure if that came before "Mama" or "Dada," since he is pathologically obsessed with our poor cat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - DH and I tell anyone who asks that DD's first word was "Meow".  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Quick real estate update: Home inspection for selling our place went well today. Sellers of the home we want counter offered and we accepted!! DH and I are beyond thrilled to be getting out of our too-small townhouse in a city for a spacious home in a nearby town. It's served us well...now where are those boxes?? :)

Sections
Shortcuts