January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

Congrats Summer!  Good luck Liz. 

I tried to catch up on posts as best I could but I know I missed things.  A few things jumped out at me... Liz, my DS has had projectile vomit after having dairy.  We tried yogurt on NYE and that resulted in a big mess.  Waited a week and tried cottage cheese and more vomit and then finally last week tried yogurt again with more vomitting so we will be holding off for awhile.  I previously had read that dairy was better around 8-9 months but my pedi told me it was fine to start at his 6 month appointment.

Pugs - I also had a really hard time allowing someone else to feed DS.  Weird how that's something that a lot of us to consider special.  I now have DS eating two meals (breakfast and lunch) at daycare but only give them things he's tried with me.  This way I get to be the one to share the experience of him trying new foods.  As for a sippy cup, we started that at 6 months with just water during dinner.  DS is soooo proud of himself when he drinks from it but he doesn't actually like the water so he spits it all down the front of him.  It's actually quite entertaining!

As for eating certain foods I've found a trick that works for DS, after I heat up his puree I put a little on my finger and give him a taste of what I'm about to feed him.  It's just enough for him to get ready for what's coming and then he usually won't reject the food.  It seems to be when he's surprised by a taste is when he won't eat it. 

Now to ask my own question... DS has started a new trend of hitting my face while I feed him his bottle.  Previously he would touch my cheek or grab my nose while drinking his bottle but it was always in a very gentle manner.  Over the past few days it's become a little more aggressive and while it doesn't hurt it's not a behavior I want to encourage.  Once he starts doing it I've been taking his hand and putting it against my cheek and repeating "gentle" which he finds hilarious.  I'm hoping through repitition he will start to understand what I'm trying to portray but any other advice you ladies might have?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CLC - You could try giving him something to hold. This might be a little different, but my DS (5 months) flails his hands a lot when I'm feeding him, but if I give him his blanket or really anything to hold on to, he doesn't flail. But using the opportunity to teach him  "gentle" is great! I think that's when I first started teaching that to DD.

ETA: Congrats, Summer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer - Congrats, and good luck with the move!

Clc - Ditto on giving him something to hold. DS is always grabbing things/flailing his hands and is none too gentle. I've been trying to teach him "gentle" too (mostly with the aforementioned poor tortured cat). My issue lately is that he sticks his hands in my mouth (or up my nose!) or just generally grabs my face when I'm singing to him before bed. He has a tendency to yank at my shirt, too, even though he hasn't nursed for 4 months! Sometimes stuffed animals/blankets work as a distraction but most often my singing draws his attention back to my face :-).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Thanks, everyone re daycare woes! One of his classmates' mother is the assistant director so I did talk to her briefly about it, and she said she would keep an eye on it too. Based on what DH said for the last few drop offs, it does seem like the teachers are trying to redirect the boy to hugs if he feels he needs physical contact and DH said he has not seen anything that alarms him, and has taken to hugging DS instead of poking him. So it should be interesting.

DS is focused now on his transition which is a whole new can of worms... his old teacher called me on Friday because 1) there has been a stomach virus in his class and 2) he was in his new room and just lying on the floor, and has been mopey in the old room for a few days. So I rushed over... and he was sound asleep in his new room, he apparently crashed and just laid down and went to sleep, skipping lunch, while in the new room. So I talked to his new teacher, and she said he was his normal self while she was in the room but she went out for her lunch break and came back to have the sub tell her he just laid down on the floor and refused to do anything after she left, then went to sleep. And so I left him sleeping there with the rest of the class napping, and DH came back to find him with the new class, happily running around in the new playground. All DH and I could figure out is that he got sad when his new teacher went on her lunch break, and that in the old room, his moping is because he is sad he is not in the new room. He has done that to us at home - mope around when he is bummed about something - like once, he was so mopey we thought he was sick - after his baby sitter left, and finally DH was able to coax out of him the reason he was mopey - he did not want her to go home. Sigh.

congrats, summer, on the house!

Liz, the only time we had projectile vomiting with DS from solids was when he ate bananas but he also broke out with some hives on his upper body too that went away in an hour in an allergic reaction - so we have put bananas on his allergy list (that oddly is the *only* food he showed an allergic reaction to) and our pedi said to wait until he is 3 before we re-approach the issue of bananas for DS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, DD#1 said "mummummum" first and "dadada" shortly thereafter.  Next I think she said "buhbuh" for bird (we have a bird feeder outside our picture window and she would watch birds every day -- still does 3 years later) and then after that maybe "up."

DD#2 said an approximation of her sister's name first.  DD's name has 3 syllables and DD#2 basically says the vowel sounds and skips the consonants.  But she's very consistent and you can tell she means her sister -- she stares right at her and yells it and if big sister hugs her or kisses her she kind of sings it/coos it.  She says a-dah, a-dah for DH. She screams MA! in the middle of the night and while she's lunging at me, screaming and freaking out because someone else is holding her (separation anxiety. ugh.) but she doesn't say it unless under duress.  She bangs on her tray and yells OAH!  OAH! when she wants more food.  So I guess that's more with a wicked Boston accent or something haha.

With language I think the consistency and intent matter more than perfect pronunciation.  They say to look at what the baby is looking at when they make noises that seem to indicate language--sometimes they're not talking about what you think they're talking about. Also, they can understand a lot more than they can say so keep talking to them and be consistent with the terms you use. The language bit is so fun!  DD#2 is really getting into animals and dinosaurs.  We've had a vocabulary explosion with words like "carnivorous" and "nocturnal" recently.  It's amazing how far they come in a few short years!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

For once I don't have any questions just a fun update: last Wednesday DS started crawling, Friday he figured out how to pull himself up to stand holding onto our ottoman and yesterday he learned to stand up in his crib!  My little boy is growing up too quick but it's so fun to see him learn these new tricks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa - That's so cute about DD1's language explosion and DD2 and her sister's name! DS only utters the syllable "ma" when he's upset, too -- haven't decided if I want to interpret that as saying my name yet :-). We have now gathered enough evidence to determine that his first word is, in fact, his own version of "kitty." I posted this on Facebook and learned just how common it is, so DH and I aren't feeling too insulted :-).

Clc - Awesome about the crawling! I agree, it's fun but kind of a shock to realize how quickly they become toddlers. It took my DS forever to crawl (probably a month of really trying) but now he's all over the place, pulling up, climbing, and always wanting to stand.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hey ladies -- I need stroller recommendations! We got a Graco Signature 3 in 1 when DS was born, which was great (minus extremely squeaky wheels!) for the bucket seat, but he doesn't like the toddler seat at all. It has a very weird recline -- the seat part is very shallow, so he's sitting far forward but not as upright as he'd like.

I have a great, basic jogging stroller, which I've been using for everything lately, but I realize I now need one better suited to indoor use, and that has a good tray attachment for snacks/toys, etc. Anyone have a stroller that they love with a more upright, comfy seat?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CLC - that's great! So exciting, although now you have to keep track of a baby on the move! :)

Lissa - I'm laughing at your description of when DD says "Ma" - my DD also only said (screamed) my name when under duress until she was about 18/19 months old.

So... We are into day 5 of the big girl bed! Did the transition on Sunday. Not having done this before, I didn't really know what to expect, but I think she's actually handling it pretty well. The first night was a bit rough - didn't fall asleep until almost 10pm. Then she wouldn't nap the next day, but now bedtime and naptime are both becoming a bit easier. I'm currently awaiting news about today's nap...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

TGIF!  Oh wait... I'm a mom...

Love the milestones that have recently been posted!  Big girl beds, crawling and first words!  Yay!  I didn't mark first words down as milestones until they were pronounced correctly, so for DD is was "cat" and DS it was "bear."  

DS has been going through a language explosion which is awesome!  I love that he can communicate his wants and needs right now, especially since he was so sick over the weekend - fever for 3 days followed by rash.  I think it was probably roseola, but we didn't bother with the doc since we were able to control the fever with tylenol/motrin and he was eating a bit.  I can't believe that DD stayed healthly the whole time. What luck!

DS (17 months) also knows his ABCs now, he can recite almost the entire alphabet from memory and can identify every letter by sight.  He can also count to 10.  I can't remember exactly, but I think he is ahead of where DD was at the same age.  The advantage of having a big sis and watching Sesame Street and Super Why!  with her :)  

DD is 2-3/4 and getting so independent!  Such a big girl!  I can't believe school is just around the corner!  

Have a great weekend everyone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Trouble-wow, DS is a smarty!

DD has recently had a language explosion. She says magnet, blue, ball, apple, more, hi, bye, mama, dada, her brother's name and her teacher's names. Some of this, granted, only a mother can understand. :) But she's definitely very good at getting her point across! Anyone will understand her when she wants something!

I keep asking her if she wants to go potty in the big toilet and she shakes her head no. sigh. I didn't start DS on the potty until 18 months...so at 16 mo I still have time.

She's got the cause/effect thing down. She knows when she bonks her brother on the head with a toy we aren't too please, so she'll give him a hug and a kiss...she basically tackled him to the ground this AM to kiss his boo boo. very funny to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I need a little sleep advice for DS (7 months).  The past two weeks or so he's been waking up multiple times a night with gas pains.  It's not every night but it's a majority of the time and most nights it's been 5-8 wake ups.  He will start screaming in his sleep, I'll pick him up and within a minute or two he'll let out some gas and fall back asleep.  Any advice?  We haven't done any new foods so I don't think it's that.  I'm thinking of getting another bottle of Gripe Water, that worked well for us when he was 2-3 months old.  Baby and mom need a full night of sleep so any help would be appreciated!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

He could have developed an intolerance to something.  I'd say that he's not digesting something well enough.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Even if you haven't started anything new, have you added a feeding or changed a feeding time?  We're having issues with DD (also 7 months) eating at our dinner time and then having trouble at about 11pm.  She wants more solid food but there's no time to fit it in!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Kar and Lissa.  I think it's related to teething.  Anyone else deal with a very gassy baby while teething?  I googled it and it seems like it's pretty common but I would hate for it to be something else and for me to dismiss it.  I'm not sure what to do.  I think I will put a call into the pedi today to see if they have any other advice but they are usually quick to suggest a visit when it could probably be answered over the phone.  Ugh decisions, decisions!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Interesting, CLC.  I can see how it could be from teething.  Sucking on fingers could lead to taking in air or something.  Do you ever give him ibuprofren or anything before bed?  (I'm not for over medicating, but when I knew for sure DD was teething, I'd give her some before bed.  I went with ibuprofren because it lasts longer.)

DD has her 2 year appointment coming up.  I don't know why I get excited for these things LOL.  It feels like it's been so long since the 18 month.  I've been thinking (but not stressing) over all kinds of transitions - doing cups without lids more often, turning the carseat, turning her matress over to the (slightly) softer side.  She is getting to be such a big girl!  I think we also might do her first haircut soon.  DH is opposed, but she won't wear anything in her hair, so I need to get it out of her eyes.  I keep trying to get her to wear a bow like Daisy and Minnie, but no dice!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

DD always had weird consistency to her p00p when she was teething--it was always kind of grainy and -- mucusy? or something.  I know that's incredibly gross ha.  So I suppose it makes sense he could be gassy from it too?

A lot of times with teething it hurts them more when they lie down because of the pressure on their ears/jaw.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

OK ladies, talk me off the ledge of near panic. DH came down with flu-like symptoms this AM -light headed, weak, felt "off" all day and now has a 101 degree fever. DD only had one dose of the flu vaccine so now I'm panicking that she's going to get it too.

Granted, we aren't sure it's the flu, tomorrow he'll either be going to his Dr. or a CVS minute clinic for a flu test to find out, and probably take Tamiflu if it is the flu.

I've already taken tomorrow off of work (daycare is closed tomorrow and Friday, go figure!) so I can take care of DD, but DH will be here too. He's sequestered himself in our room and I'll be sleeping on the couch for the time being. He's staying in there, with the door closed and DD's bedroom door is closed as well. He didn't really take care of her this afternoon/evening, and I've gone around and lysol'ed everything in sight he could've possibly touched.

What else can I do? I even contemplated taking DD to my parents house or DH was going to stay elsewhere...are we nuts? I feel like I can't be too careful...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer, it sounds like you're doing more than enough. I don't know what 1/2 dose of the vaccine does but it may be worth a call to your pedi, more for your reassurance than anything. Just try not to worry -- you're doing everything you can and she'll be fine! Sorry you're dealing with this!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer, sorry your DH is so sick.  I think you're doing everything you can.  A few things that I did while we were battling colds was try to find a time to open the windows in each room, a little fresh air will be good.  Also, I tried to increase DS's fluid intake and bump up his vitamin C intake so I offered a lot more water in sippy cups and he ate watermelon at 1-2 meals a day.  Finally, tons of hand sanitizer, I have bottles all over the house and would use it multiple times a day.  Hope he's feeling better soon and you and your DD stay healthy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, if DH does get a confirmation on his case as officially flu (I think they do a swab before they give tamiflu) you might be able to get tamiflu for the baby too.  Are you nursing?  I can't remember.  I contracted H1N1 when DD#1 was 6 weeks old (wicked fun, believe me) and she didn't get it.  The pedi said it was most likely thanks to antibodies in the bmilk.  So if you are nursing you can maybe relax a bit.

Good luck! I hope DH is ok too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thanks all. It's downpouring and windy here so I doubt I'll be opening any windows today. DH woke up and his temp was normal and he feels better. He's still going to his doc later on today just to be sure.

I'm not nursing so DD doesn't have that added protection. I woke up this morning feeling horrendous, similar to what DH described yesterday so I think it might be a 24 hr virus or something, maybe DD passed it onto us from all of her daycare germs :-P

She seems OK...just her normal fussy self (she's usually super fussy with us when she has to spend the day with us) I know she likes daycare better than us because there's more toys and kids to watch/play with. Home is boring compared to that, no matter how hard we try to entertain her! It's going to be a long 5 days...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, my original thought was digestion because when you said gassy I wrongly assumed at the wrong end, lol.  If he needs to burp more, it can definitely be teething.  

Summer, sorry DH is sick and glad to hear it's not getting worse.  I think given how on top of everything you are you have little to fear.  Babies can die of the flu, but it generally happens when it is allowed to go too far because a parent is ignoring worsening of symptoms or thinks they can handle it and by the time they get to the hospital it's sadly too late.  YOU are paying strict attention and no illness is going to sneak up on you.  Yes, there's a small risk anyway, I understand, but in all my life I've never known anyone of any age to die from the flu.  That must mean something significant even if my life isn't an actual medical study. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer - hoping you are feeling better and DD has escaped the illness. I had a similar fear recently when we spent the whole day at my mom's house and just as we were walking out the door the stomach bug hit my mom's partner, who had been holding DS (5 months) a good part of the day, so I sympathize. Do you have an appointment to get the second flu shot for your DD? It will probably make you feel better in general once she's had both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

So, here I am, Friday of my first full week back at work.  I was so lucky to be able to get some extra time at home with DD#2.  DD#1 never slept and reverse-cycled when I went back to work when she was an infant so DH and I planned and saved so I could have extra time home when I had another baby.  Then, DD#2 slept through the night early on and I've been home feeling restless and guilty for not coming back to work!  But, here I am, ready to go pick up a fussy baby and big kid after a long week of adjusting.

Things are fine but phew, I had forgotten how hard this "having it all" can be! 

Sections
Shortcuts