January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

Way to go Lissa, enjoy your weekend! 

Kar - your assumption was right, it was coming from both ends!  We actually made it a few nights without any issues and then had one little wake up Wednesday night and then last night was fine.  So I tried to look at what I did differently on Wednesday... HUMMUS!  Perhaps that's not something he can handle right now so we've backed away from that for awhile and hopefully are going to be sleeping peacefully going forward.

Summer, how are you all feeling?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

Way to go Lissa, enjoy your weekend! 

Kar - your assumption was right, it was coming from both ends!  We actually made it a few nights without any issues and then had one little wake up Wednesday night and then last night was fine.  So I tried to look at what I did differently on Wednesday... HUMMUS!  Perhaps that's not something he can handle right now so we've backed away from that for awhile and hopefully are going to be sleeping peacefully going forward.

Summer, how are you all feeling?

We're better, thanks! I think it was just some minor virus that hung around for a couple days. It made DH super tired and achy and me really weak, tired, and nauseas but now we both feel better. DD seems to be ok as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny, clc. :)  For future reference, burping is generally from swallowed air, but flatuulence is from something not being digested properly so if it's both, he's swallowing air and eating something that doesn't agree with him.  Chick peas would definitely be a likely culprit, BUT the more a person eats legumes, the easier they become to digest because the bacteria that does the job best multiplies with repeated exposure to their favorite food source.  So, after going without it awhile to nail it down as the cause, maybe you would consider instead of assuming he can't handle it yet due to his age, try introducing legumes in very tiny increments so his gut can adjust slowly.  Otherwise, he'll very likely have painful flatuulence at whatever age you do introduce legumes whole hog.  I'd try finding the balance for him to build the flora necessary to digest legumes but not so much that gives him gas in the process.  People who eat cruciferous veggies and legumes once in awhile always pay for it, but if they eat those things regularly they can digest them regularly.

if they make probiotics for children, that may help as well.  I don't have knowledge of them from a pediatric perspective, but our intestinal flora at any age aids in digestion and builds immunity.

by the way, I misspelled flatuulence on purpose because bdc bans it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

unless he's reacting to the acidity of the lemon juice in the hummus or the tahini (sesame paste).  People who have nut intonlerance can also have trouble with sesame. 

But also, yes, chickpeas are pretty gassy until you're used to them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Checking in for some sleep advice...DD (7m) has been waking during the night after she had been STTN for several months. She wakes up super early (4am) and flails around, rolls on her belly, gets mad etc. She also wakes crying several times during the night. Sometimes she can settle herself but sometimes it just escalates into screaming and tears. DH or I will have to pat her, turn her sleep sheep back on and sometimes rock her back to sleep. She's also been taking bottles at night again, which had stopped months ago also. Sometimes it's the only thing that will get her back to sleep.

We're desperate for sleep. For the past 4 weeks we've been up at 4am after getting up with her 3-4 times, sometimes for more than an hour at a time.

Should we do sleep training? Could it be teething (we've tried ibuprofen twice and it helped a little)? Separation anxiety? What happened to my good sleeper?? Now naptime AND nighttime are becoming nightmares!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like maybe a growth spurt.  They start to wake up hungry when that happens, and at that age it can be coupled with teething.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - we went through this with DS around 6 months.  I got in the habit of giving him the bottle again because I thought he was hungry and then he STTN twice and I realized he didn't need it.  I ended up taking it away cold turkey and it seemed to work for us.  Then one night DH couldn't get him back down so he gave him a bottle and I had to start all over again.  I would recommend if you go that route you get DH on board! :)  We still have evenings where he wakes up and depending on the cry we either CIO or go in and soothe him.  I know other people have had luck with offering water rather than milk during the wake up.  It might be worth trying!  I made one other change around that time and increased his night time bottle from 4-6 oz.  He doesn't always finish it but most nights he does. Good luck! 

8. This post has been removed.