January Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: January Infants and Toddlers

I didn't realize in advance either, WPP.  With both I have somehow been at my previous weight at 6 weeks postpartum but then had my weight creep up again by 5-10 pounds.  I have also had the issue that whenever I restrict calories at all, my milk supply tanks.  It's like my body takes that before taking my own fat.

I also didn't get AF back until DD was 1 and we ended daytime BFing (still not back after DS).  When it came back last time, I immediately lost 5 pounds and my shape changed a little to have a bit less belly.  Still not great, but better.  Some hormones at work, I guess.  So yeah, DS is 8 months and I appear to be 5 months pregnant.  It's not the best!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I think my DS has the stomach bug. We had 7 p00py diapers yesterday and 2 already today. He's been fighting a cold all week too. I brought him to the doctor's last Friday to check his lungs but he was all clear. I brought him back on Monday because he wasn't eating (and you know how I get about that). I thought it was all related, but then his teachers said that 2 other kids in his class are out with the stomach bug. He doesn't have a fever or anything and he's not spitting up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think my DS has the stomach bug. We had 7 p00py diapers yesterday and 2 already today. He's been fighting a cold all week too. I brought him to the doctor's last Friday to check his lungs but he was all clear. I brought him back on Monday because he wasn't eating (and you know how I get about that). I thought it was all related, but then his teachers said that 2 other kids in his class are out with the stomach bug. He doesn't have a fever or anything and he's not spitting up.

[/QUOTE]

:(

My DD had it a couple weeks ago, too- lots of runny p00ps but otherwise was unaffected. Only had it for about 2 days and was fine...then DH got it, but he was throwing up. DD got it AGAIN from DH, and threw up for the first time (not counting baby spit up, this was her first "big kid" throw up...ugh). Be aware it can go away and come back! I swear stomach viruses are the worst...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Lovely! I had it over Thanksgiving. Hopefully he'll get over it soon and it will stay away!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry for all the sick kiddos.  DS had the stomach bug over Thanksgiving too.  No throwing up but lots of nasty diapers.

DS, 19 months, peed in the potty for the first time last night.  He's been peeing as soon as we put him in the bath for the past few weeks so we've been trying to sit him on the potty while we fill it up.  Last night was the first time he actually went in the potty though.  Also, on Saturday he signaled to me that he needed his diaper changed.  And being the silly mom I am I checked and told him that he was clean and could keep playing.  Well about 3 minutes later he had a bm.  I guess he was letting me know he had to go rather than he had already gone.  Smart kid, not so smart mom.  Headed to buy him a potty on my lunch break!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hope everyone is on the mend.  

clc - That is amazing and soooo smart! Can you imagine diaper free by 2?!  Maybe Ill try your strategy.  DS has also been peeing in the tub too.   However, I dont think he will get it this early.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Pugs - that would be amazing!  Not sure it's going to happen but it can't hurt to start trying.  He's clearly interested.  I don't think he knows when he pees so we have some time for that one but at least he knows if he's going to have a BM so it's a start. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Summer, the stomach bug has played out exactly as you said! DS started vomitting on Friday night, then he got better, then DH got sick on Sunday night and then DS started again with a fever and vomitting last night. I told DH that I'm moving to China until they get better!

I was so frustrated with DS's doctors. When the doctor called me back on Friday night, he sounded kind of annoyed. He's DS's actual doctor, not just someone covering, so I think he got nicer once he realized that it was me. I don't know, some people just have a mean phone voice. The doctor we saw on Saturday told us to push Pedialyte. I don't think that's the right recommendation for a breastfed baby. I gave him an ounce of it right after his appointment, but everything I've read says that breastmilk is just as good as Pedialyte. I'm sure I'm just hyper-sentitive, but it made me mad. This is the same doctor who wanted to catheterize DS in the fall for a chest cold. She's just not very good with babies.

CLC - I hope DS loves using his potty! What a huge win that would be!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hope the sick LOs are feeling better now!

My question today: how cold do you think is too cold to go on a 10-15 minute outdoor walk with baby? I decided that this 14 degree morning was too cold to bring the dog & baby out together on the morning walk, but then saw all the neighborhood mamas (four or five of them) pushing their strollers on my block as we were driving DD to daycare.  

FWIW, DD is 7 months old, and I would have bundled her in a fleece sweatshirt, fleece hat (with ear flaps and chin strap), snow suit, and 7AM stroller bunting. Could also have put up the plastic shield on her stroller for wind protection. Right now my temperature threshold for bringing her on a $h0rt walk is about low 20s. What's your threshold?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Also, why the heck is $h0rt a banned word?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to siena09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hope the sick LOs are feeling better now!

My question today: how cold do you think is too cold to go on a 10-15 minute outdoor walk with baby? I decided that this 14 degree morning was too cold to bring the dog & baby out together on the morning walk, but then saw all the neighborhood mamas (four or five of them) pushing their strollers on my block as we were driving DD to daycare.  

FWIW, DD is 7 months old, and I would have bundled her in a fleece sweatshirt, fleece hat (with ear flaps and chin strap), snow suit, and 7AM stroller bunting. Could also have put up the plastic shield on her stroller for wind protection. Right now my temperature threshold for bringing her on a $h0rt walk is about low 20s. What's your threshold?

[/QUOTE]

Just because of my own cold intolerance, I won't take DD out unless it's in the 50s or higher. She can't even move enough to play in her giant winter coat or snow pants, so it's kind of pointless. She does go outside a lot at daycare though when it's as low as the 40s, so she still gets outside, just not with me!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

DS has his first ear infection! The poor kid  is absolutely miserable! I hope this is the end of it. I feel so badly for him! He's usually so happy and today he's been so sad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

On a whim, last night, I decide to not give DS his binky at bed time.  It wasnt as bad as I thought!  He cried for less than 1/2 hour.  He did wake up twice, cried a little then went back to sleep.  This morning however was a different story.  He was a mess when he woke up.  Didnt want to be held and would cover his eyes with his hands and fall to the floor crying.  I felt bad for him.  He loves the show/movie Cars - Mater's Tall Tales, so I put that on for him this morning and he has fine.  DH said he hasnt asked for it yet today.  Hopefully nap time will go well!  Also, DS said is first sentence this morning..."Where are you?"  Then he looks around to see you.  It was so cute!  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Hey ladies, looking for some advice for picky eaters.  My DS use to be a great eater but since getting the stomach bug around Thanksgiving he's really limited what he will eat.  In true toddler fashion it changes by the day.  I'm trying to not become a $h0rt order cook but honestly I'm having so much trouble getting him to eat anything that it's what I've resorted to.  Anyone else dealing with this?  Any luck getting your kids to eat some healthy options?  DS wasn't big on veggies (neither am I) but he was great at eating fruits before he got sick but even those he's turning his nose up at now.  I've started giving him pouches to get some fruit and veggies into him and he will eat those no problem.  It's ironic because as a baby I made all of his own food and he hardly had store bought and now as a toddler it's the only thing I can get him to eat!

Also Siena I'm with you, what's up with the $h0rt ban?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc, I wish I had great advice but we have been in the same boat with DS for a long time now. I try to sneak veggies in through homemade veggie burgers, and for some reason DS loves the Dr. Praeger's spinach cakes. I've caved and bought the veggie pouches in bulk, though that's getting out of control -- he demands them constantly so he's limited to 1 per meal. I guess at least he's demanding some kind of veggie? I know others have had luck with covering veggies with cheese or dipping them in hummus or some other kind of dip, though it hasn't worked for us.

As for being a $h0rt order cook, I make sure I have plenty of something I know he likes (which gets harder and harder) and then 2-3 other items for him to try. Past that, I don't make anything else...usually.

I need to make a renewed commitment to family dinners. It is nearly impossible to do during the week with our schedules, but it's undeniable that DS wants what we have, and we've been able to get him to eat veggies on occasion that way. Don't know if you do that, but maybe that would help?

Finally, just remember to avoid power struggles. We've all been sick for the last week and the combo of my mood and DS's lessened interest in food has resulted in some for us. He definitely gets worse about eating when he feels like I'm pushing stuff on him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Arcain.  Nice to know we aren't alone!  We do family dinners and there are very few nights that he has a different meal than us.  But he doesn't really care what we're eating.  He has no desire to eat off of our plates.  I wish he did because then I could at least try to get him to eat healthier items from my plate.  I haven't tried the spinach cakes but I'm going to look into those.  We do have some luck with spinach and cheese filled raviolis.  And I've tried to do the chunky pasta sauce with veggies in it but he generally spits the veggies right out!

Has anyone bought the reusable pouches?  I really don't want to go back to making baby food but this might end up saving me a lot of money.  Something to think about...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just chiming in on the food issue.  Last night my 3 year old had an apple for dinner.  That's it.  He turned his nose up at the chicken he always eats, and he didn't even try the potato pancake with ketchup (that he's had plenty of times before).  So, he ate his apple.  I didn't even bother making a fuss (of course no cookie when he asked).  I've learned to just let it be, unless he goes more than several days without eating much.  Although I'm fairly certain he eats a ton at school since they serve breakfast, two snacks and a good sized lunch.  I try not to make totally different meals for him, but I also know what not to put on his place as its just not worth the argument lately.  And he totally still eats the veggie pouches.  Oddly enough if I put real veggies on his plate, and call them veggies, he won't even go near them.  But his "veggie pouch" he loves.  They are getting really creative with them now too... I got one that has apples, strawberries, spinach and zucchini... and he loves it.  Sounds bizzarre, but I think of it like juicing!  Lots of good stuff.  And while I'm sure making it homemade is better... the pouches have nothing added except the fruit/veggie items and as a working mom with (now) two kids and a DH who is often not home... they are more than worth the $1-$1.50 in my house :-)

DS2 had his 2 month check up last Friday.  He's 14 lbs at 9 1/2 weeks.  Clearly not missing a meal.  Our doctor had his first child a week before DS2 was born, so it was fun swapping stories.  He did well with all the shots (3 needles and the drink...ouch).  I nursed him right after and that seemed to help.  Was fussy Friday night but a little Tylenol really did the trick.  He's such a happy little boy now... just loves to flash a big, great smile.  Its too cute!  Starting to sleep a bit better.  Usually get a 4-5 hour stretch for the first bit, then a quick feed, then down for 2-3 hours.  DS1 started sleeping through at 5 months... so I'm guessing we're still a ways away with this one too.  But its nice that its not every 2 hours anymore. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

We also face eating struggles. My DD amazes me with what she likes. Bean burritos? Hummus? Guacamole (by the spoonful)? Sure. But sometimesbasic things like chicken, ANY veggie- no way. Our pedi advised us to pick our battles wisely otherwise when she's older it'll just get tougher. We eat as a family every night and she'll at least have some of what we're having on her plate, whether or not she eats it. One day she'll love something, the next day won't touch it. She eats lots of those veggie pouches too but has also recently turned her nose up at ones that aren't apple. As long as she's growing and thriving, I'm not too worried.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

clc et al- as for Picky eaters I found texture was a huge thing with DS-he would eat an entire bell pepper raw, but if I cooked it he would refuse to eat it-even gag. So as not to become a $h0rt order cook, all I would do is keep some raw peppers/tomato any veggie on the side and he'd get it on his plate along with the other cooked items with dinner. Was I catering to him, yes, but in a reasonable way I felt. Now I still have to keep the peppers crunchy, but the'll eat them cooked. But at that age DS and DD both tried to express their independence by refusing certain things. It's so hard not to get into a struggle over it-DH has the hardest time letting it go.

I also find it takes weeks for the kiddos to recover eating wise from stomach bugs.

I admit, I may call new items something different to make them appealing for the kids. Last night I served saute'd chicken, fresh green beans, rice and a lentil salad for dinner...the only way to get the kids to try the lentil salad was to call them "baby beans" and both kids at all the salad. the only thing they didn't finish was the rice.

We do family meals every night, and I try not to cook things I know the kids just won't eat-I make this yummy cooked spinach dish, but the kids hate it. so we just have raw spinach salad instead. Making the cooked spinach dish just isn't worth the struggle at dinner. Eventually the kids will eat it, and if not, if they only stick to raw spinach their life isn't ruined.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW - glad to hear your new LO is doing well!  :)

The other day for dinner my 3 yo ate two bites of cheese.  That was all.  And she only just started eating chicken again after a hiatus of probably a year.  I find it wicked annoying, but I try to ignore it.  However, I feel that we made a mistake along the line - we let her have cheese and crackers if she doesn't want what we're having.  Not *so* bad, but the problem is that we have lots of types of cheese and lots of types of crackers so it turns into a big event.  Starting soon we're going to have the new rule be that she can have PB and crackers but she has to get it herself and spread (or dip) it herself.

I don't know how you guys are doing such good dinners.  Last night was a total fiasco at our house.  I had a lasagna I made on Sunday and I was even home and I even put it in the oven on time.  As it got closer I tried to make salad, which DD wants to help and I have to carry a chair over, then the baby must have been hungry early or just cranky because he started screaming like crazy, then I'm trying to get his food, then DD has to go potty and then wants help with the TP, then the baby screams more, then I abandon the salad to get the lasagna out, DD doesn't like the look of it and she wants an apple, I say she can have the apple but I can't cut it up, then she starts crying because she doesn't want to eat the peel (real reason: I have denied her repeated requests to send the baby back to the hospital), I ignore her, baby screams, get his food, eventually she calms down and gets her own crackers.  Long story $h0rt, salad was available post-meal.  And this was a day I planned ahead and was home!  Thursdays, when I also have both of them by myself, but am coming from daycare and getting home close to 6, are an even bigger joke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

med-I was talking with a friend last week who has a 3.5 yo and an 8 mo-and she commented on how she feels like a bad mom now. And all those memories of never being able to address one child's needs without delaying the other came flooding back. I felt like such a horrible mother when DD was really little. Everything felt like it was half done, and neither child was completely happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Although it does not always work, once in a while, when DS (3.5 years) turned his nose at something, if I start to eat it off his plate, he will quickly dig in and see why I like it so much. That is how we got him to eat some of the gardenburger that we never made at home before, but that I loved.

DD who is now 17 months, will scream if left alone at the table... she demands that someone must be at the table. So we have to ensure that both kids are ready to load up, or get her favorite art activity (stickers and markers and paper) out to do until it is time to eat. For art work, she will keep herself content even if no one else is at the table (unless she is starving, in which case, we have to toss her cheerios in a snack cup to handle that - it takes a while to get a few cheerios out but take that hunger edge off).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KAM - was your friend *me*?  Same ages.  :)  In actuality, I do feel a little more competent lately.  Early on after DS was born, I felt that way a lot.  Better now, but meal time with one adult is definitely the hardest part for me.  DS is starting to eat puffs and such a little, but not enough to take the edge off his hunger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Add me to the moms who pick their mealtime battles.  DS (almost 17 Mos) and DD (3) seem to take turns being the picky eaters.  Right now, DD will eat/try almost anything, as long as she sees it's on my plate too.  She won't necessarily like all of it (10 carrots vs. one green bean for example), but she's good about trying.  Sometimes she shocks me...like eating 3 slices of roast beef and 2 helpings of mashed potatoes last week at my parents'...I had no expectations that she'd eat any of that dinner!  DS, on the other hand, has moved into a flinging phase as of this weekend...he literally flings everything.  

I try to cook things that the kids will eat (or that I can modify, like taking chicken out before I add a spicy sauce, for example)...and we sit down for dinner as a family just about every night.  Exception is either Friday or Saturday, when we feed them early then get takeout later once they're asleep as our version of a date!

Both of my kids will always eat fruit or a yogurt, so that's our meal supplement if they're not into what we're eating, but I don't bring it out or mention it until after they get a plate of whatever we have. If one or both isn't eating any of it, I'll offer a yogurt or an apple or other fruit...they will say yes if they're hungry, and no if they're not. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm nowhere near the mealtime battles yet, but as a recovering picky eater myself, I feel for you guys. Texture was a big deal for me when I was younger. I think I was about 24 or 25 the first time I ate a pickle. And as I got older, being a picky eater really became an embarrassing social barrier. My parents had no idea what to do, so I wish all of you luck! It's such a hard thing.

I probably mentioned DD's rash issues awhile ago. Well, we've reached a whole new level. We've been back and forth to the pedi for over a month about this, and their cultures found a fungal infection on her neck and armpits, and staph (!) in the diaper area. We've also determined that she's allergic to zinc oxide. I am beside myself with this. They prescribed medicated ointments and creams--Muciprocin and Nystatin--which have helped but the rash is definitely not gone. We also had her on an oral antibiotic regimen.

The pedi sent us to a dermatologist yesterday and he was completely useless. He was in the room for about 90 seconds and then told me it was probably dermatitis and to use a moisturizer (hydrolatum). Are you flipping kidding me??? I explained this whole journey to him and he's landing on a *moisturizer*? Like that wasn't the first thing we tried months ago. He thinks I got a referral from the pedi after 6 weeks for a moisturizer?? I was so mad. 

And I'm nervous--if the rash isn't going away, what about the fungus and staph? It can't be good for that to be ongoing. She's three months old. And I can't make her get better! I feel terrible, like I'm failing her. We go back to the pedi on Mon and that idiot dermatologist in about 2 weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts