July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

July Infants and Toddlers

Happy July, all!

Picking up on the June discussion:

Fram - Good point on the LCs. As you can tell from my posts, I have mixed feelings about my experience with them. Part of me thinks I could have enjoyed DS's early infancy much more if I hadn't been positively obsessing about nursing, and going to LCs definitely prolonged that (not that they encouraged obsessing -- that was all me!). On the other hand, DS did nurse some and get at least some bmilk for the first 6 months of his life, and all the LCs I saw were super supportive when I decided I needed to scale back my complicated efforts to make it work without supplementing. So, yes, they can be very helpful, but it's important for new moms to keep it in perspective and listen to others (and themselves!) as well.

Fram, your description of DD's bedtime routine is adorable! I love how she has such a specific vision of what you do when you leave the room!!

RE: dropping naps -- am I the only one with a toddler who still does 2 naps? DS is 16 mos and shows no signs of dropping either at home. He sleeps usually from 9-10:30 or so and then again from 2-3:30 or 4. He doesn't nap well at daycare and only does 1 when he does, but it doesn't affect his home routine in the least. Even though it makes planning stuff a bit more difficult, I'm in no hurry to push him to 1 nap, but I am starting to wonder when he'll do it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

Dropping Naps - my DS (13 months on Saturday) hasn't dropped a nap yet.  In fact many days he's found a way to get a 3rd in the late afternoon. I asked the pedi about it and she said as long as it wasn't messing up his evening routine then not to worry about it and follow his lead, if he's tired he can nap.

We messed with DS's sleep schedule last week, up late on Wednesday and Thursday and then again Saturday and man did we ever pay for it.  Saturday night DS had a total meltdown.  He normally loves his crib and will happily go in there awake for naps and bedtime.  Saturday night he screamed until I rocked him to sleep, something I haven't done since he was 9 months.  Then after being asleep for an hour woke up screaming again.  It took me until after 1am to get him back to bed.  I even brought him into bed with me but the only way he wouldn't cry is if I was holding him.  The rough night has definitely caught up with me and today I'm dragging.  Hoping we don't go through something like that again for a long time.  I won't be messing with the sleep schedule again for awhile!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy, Harvey Karp has ways to help you limit the time you spend laying with them-simple ways you start during the day where you make them wait for something simple they are asking for. They ask for milk, you say "okay, Mommy will get you some milk, but first you need to wait, until mommy washes her hands." Take your time washing hands, then get milk, praise for waiting patiently. Slowly make them wait a little longer while you get the item, up to a minute. Then at bedtime when laying with them say "wait! Mommy need to tell Daddy something (got to the bathroom etc), Mommy will be right back." Then leave the room for 10-15 seconds. Go back in, praise for waiting so nicely, do it one more time the first night, but leave for 15-20 seconds, then stay until they are sleep. Second night leave longer the first time, and even longer the second time. Eventually you've reset the expectation that mommy leaves, but comes back (addresses some night time fears that night is soooo long) and trains them to get used to you not being there. I've always been a fan of his advice, from baby to toddler. I recently read his book on sleep, and it rings true to the things that worked with DS. When I lay down with him, I have rules, he has to lay still-if not mommy will go & won't read the book. So he lays still for me, but for DH he will climb all over him while he tries to read (or did when he was younger). With DD she knows I will only read to her if she sits on my lap and has no paci (working on eliminating her night time paci). Mislilly's point about you chaning the routine that doesn't work for you. Though you have to ease in the transition. Maybe change the routine slowly-say where you read the book, sitting in bed vs laying down. Add an element to help you change what you don't like. Say add music to the background, keeping a night light on etc. Remember-you are not locked to her bed, you can make subtle changes to change the pattern.

I read somewhere that an adult should never lay down in bed with their child-seeing as it is nearly impossible for an adult of a toddler NOT to fall asleep if laying down for any period of time. :) Which we find to be true. If one of us does not emerge from putting someone to bed, the other will go and "check/wake" the other person.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lily and KAM - thank you! What you both said is exactly what I needed to hear, it's excellent advice. I just copied/pasted both posts into a word document. DH tries to help, but sometimes is not a very satisfying person for me to hash these things out with because he gets frustrated that she throws such a fit when he tries to do bedtime. I agree that if something isn't working for us, *we* need to initiate a change. I just have to figure out how to sell it to DH who doesn't want to get stuck with a screaming toddler. Actually, tonight I'm going out, so it will be interesting to hear what happens. Maybe I'll need to "go out" once or twice a week.

I am definitely going to invest in the Karp book. I think someone said he also has thoughts about pacifiers? That is my next goal, to get rid of that thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - you should definitely "go out" more!  :)  One other thing I read but haven't tried: sit in a chair next to the bed while she falls asleep.  Then move the chair farther away.  Gradually (over many nights) move out the door.  Not sure how this would work.  I think the person was also suggesting lots of "you can do it" type encouragement.

DD (almost 3) is also giving us trouble going to bed, but she screams instead of getting up.  It's super annoying.  The last couple of nights we had good luck with a Karp-type thing like KAM suggested.  I would say, "if you don't yell, I'll come back and check on you in 2 minutes."  And then I followed through on it.  The first night I had to do it a few times, but last night after the first checking back in, she talked to herself for a while after I left and then went to sleep on her own!  I think the reason this approach was good for us is because her bedtime stuff is all about Mommy and Daddy leaving her and who will take care of her and et cetera et cetera, ever since DS was born.  So it was really important that we followed through on the checking.

The lactation consultant I saw with DD was great.  But Chiclet, is this the person at the support group?  Honestly, it sounds like she's all over the map.  Maybe she can't keep track of all the various people since it's a group?  And I don't really see the point of one weigh in at the group - she should suggest a before/after weighing if you want to know how much the baby is eating.  But honestly, I agree with the others (and your doctor!) that it sounds like your baby is happy and healthy!

DS is so stinking cute!!!  Oh, those baby smiles.  He just lights up like a Christmas tree when someone goes to talk to him.  DD is another story, but today has been great so I'll try to keep it positive.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Hello all, up here on the north shore listening to the tornado warnings and crazy weather.  Hope anyone who lives west and north has a safe commute home.  I really love the advice about taking control of what YOU want to change.  I think sometimes we forget we are the parents.  So whether its bedtime, behavior, getting out of the house, etc., we are the ones in charge.  Easier said than done... way, way easier.  But a good reminder nonetheless.  Kinda like what I tell DS about him now asking "why?  why?  why?"  I say "the first 'why?' I will answer with a reason; any more 'why's' and it's 'because i said so!'"

On the topic of sleep and bedtimes, we transitioned to the "big boy bed" this weekend.  The crib's front and back become a head and footboard for a full sized bed.  DS LOVED his new tractor sheets, that thankfully arrived just in time Friday night.  He helped DH put the new bed together so I think that helped his excitement too.  So Saturday bedtime was the first.  We still have his rocking chair in the room, which is where we did stories and rocking/signing before.  We read up on his bed because now I can fit.  Then rocked in the chair for 10 mins or so, and then he asked if I was going to sleep with him.  I told him I'd lay with him a bit as long as we were going to sleep.  Similar to KAM, I told him I'd only stay if we were going to sleep (not talk, wiggle, climb, etc.).  I left when he was about 75% snoozing, told him I'd be back to check on him, and he feel sound asleep for the entire night!  Next morning he called for me to get him (YES!  We'll see how long that lasts as I really don't want him wandering the house!).  Naptime yesterday worked well too.  I laid with him and, ooops... I fell asleep too.  But just about 15 mins and I left him sleeping.  Then last night, he asked if I would stay with him and I said "not tonight honey, mommy will be in her own bed."  He nodded ok and I was thrilled how brave he was to climb up, grab some of his friends and go to sleep.  I also told him I'd come back to check on him, which did seem to comfort him.  So I think that advice about telling them you are not far away, and will be back often, does actually work.  I think keeping a lot of his similar routine... still reading his stories and still rocking with music and songs, really helped.  And both sets of grandparents came to visit and made a big deal how cool it was he had a big boy bed now, how nice the sheets were, how amazing that he can get in all by himself, etc.  I couldn't have scripted them better :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

All of these posts remind me of the book "Llama Llama Red Pajama".  Has anyone else read that book to their LO?  We have it at home and the gist of the story is that sometimes Mama Llama can't come right to the room if Baby Llama needs her but that she's never far away.  It seems like this could help comfort some of your LOs and drive home the fact that you need to leave there room to do something (in the book it's dishes and take a phone call) but that you're always close by.

DS is currently in love with "Llama Llama Nighty-Night", it's the only book he will sit through so I try to read a different book to start each bedtime but he just closes it and points to Llama Llama.  Will he eventually switch his likes and get stuck on another book?  Or am I looking at a few years of Llama Llama which is perfectly fine as I already have it memorized!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

CLC - those are such great books.  One of our favorites is Llama Llama Misses Mama, which is about first day of school.  He will change his likes many times over, but come back to old favorites often.  We have read the same book 3 weeks in a row, and then all of a sudden he'll pick something new and stick with that one, or he'll do a round robin several nights in a row.  But you will really appreciate him having favorites onces he starts "reading" with you.  My DS clearly can't read yet at only 2.10... but so many times I can stop a sentence mid-way and he will finish it because he just loves, loves all his stories!! :-)  There are two books that he can actually "read" almost the whole book.  It is just beyond cool!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CLC - we have that Llama book but DD hasn't connected with it yet. Will try it again! She definitely gets stuck on certain books and I get pretty bored reading the same one over and over. I find if I get really excited about a new book and introduce it in a captivating way, she will often agree to read it.

I did successfully go out last night! Bedtime was what DH could manage. He doesn't have the patience to sit in there with her until she falls asleep, so he left and she got up about 5 times, finally falling asleep at 9. So then he proceeds to say that maybe she's just not tired before 9 and we should think about not having her take an afternoon nap. This coming from a man who is almost never alone with both kids all day long... to a woman who often IS (due to his wacky work schedule). I basically told him he could shove his idea you-know-where.

Congrats on the successful transition, IPW! The tractor sheets sound fabulous! And kudos to the grandparents for helping you out.

Medford - The screaming is certainly annoying. Great that your technique worked! I hope it has continued success. I'm also starting to realize DD might actually be nervous at bedtime, and cutting her a bit of a break. I agree about baby smiles!! They kill me. I am NOT ready for DS to turn 1 in August!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

July! DD will officially turn one next week.  We had her party this past weekend, and she did great and we all had fun.  Luckily she is sleeping well, but I have a new obsession - number of bottles per day.  She takes about 4-5 bottles a day for a total of about 20-25 oz.  I've tried increasing the amount per bottle, but she doesn't drink more than 5 at any one time.  Is this too many?  DD eats 3 meals (for the most part), a yogurt, adn at least one snack per day.  DH suggested maybe she isn't eating enough food? 

Feuling this latest obsession is that another girl in her daycare is the same age and is having only one bottle a day there.  Wish I never overheard that conversation!!  UGH!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Nov, I went through the same thing with DS. I think he was still getting 2 or 3 bottles a day at age 1, and by 15 mos we had him off them completely. In the end, I way overestimated how upset he'd be/how long the transition would take. Even though I wanted to put those dang things away, I guess I was still a little attached!

If she takes bottles with meals, start by replacing one of those with a sippy of water or whole milk (have you tried offering that yet? DS still hasn't taken to it, but I know it works for a lot of people). Depending on how long it takes her to adjust (if at all), do away with another one in a few days. If she freaks out, try diluting the bmilk/formula. Over a few days, dilute it more and then stop offering it.

Most people say the bedtime bottle is the hardest to do away with and to save that for last. For us it was actually the morning one that he struggled with the most, so we just diluted it more each day until he was basically drinking water, and then just stopped offering it.

She'll definitely need to eat more food if she's still taking that much in bottles, and you'll all have to recalibrate as you go. Offer her more at meals, make sure she gets 2 snacks, and maybe add in a bedtime snack, too?

RE: daycare, I had the opposite problem. We were gung ho, per our pedi's advice, to have him off bottles by age 1 (obviously didn't happen). Part of the problem was that 3 kids at daycare -- all a few months older than him -- were still getting bottles and our provider told us DS was getting mad when he didn't have one. For a couple months, he was getting 2 (very small) bottles at daycare that he wouldn't get at home, just so he wouldn't freak out. Then when we finally told her we weren't going to bring bottles anymore, our provider said "Oh, good, he's the last one. The other kids stopped awhile ago!" Ummm....glad we communicated about that one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

July! DD will officially turn one next week.  We had her party this past weekend, and she did great and we all had fun.  Luckily she is sleeping well, but I have a new obsession - number of bottles per day.  She takes about 4-5 bottles a day for a total of about 20-25 oz.  I've tried increasing the amount per bottle, but she doesn't drink more than 5 at any one time.  Is this too many?  DD eats 3 meals (for the most part), a yogurt, adn at least one snack per day.  DH suggested maybe she isn't eating enough food? 

Feuling this latest obsession is that another girl in her daycare is the same age and is having only one bottle a day there.  Wish I never overheard that conversation!!  UGH!

Our DD turned 1 two weeks ago. Currently she gets a bottle upon waking, sippy cups of milk around 830 and 1230, and then a bedtime bottle. Total amounts are around 20-25 oz also, but since we just switched to whole milk as well, our pedi said no more than 20 oz a day of milk. She eats 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, as well.

She started taking less and less of her 330pm bottle a while ago, so I eliminated that and give her a snack then instead. She's starting to do the same with her first bottle of the day, so I imagine that will be gone soon, too. I'll do the bedtime bottle until...well...until I can bear to drop that part of our routine- it's my daily snuggle time with her that I don't want to let go of...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DD is 10 months - and we are the lucky? unlucky? ones who has a baby that hated the bottle so much that we had to switch to sippy cups... and that is only marginally better (she will only drink total of 6-8 oz a day average, but she will chow food down - and then once home, she just nurses and nurses with a break for dinner to eat unless she is so tired that she is falling asleep). We used to stress so much with DS when he would only eat 5-8 oz per day, and he did fine so with DD, we are a little more relaxed about it. As long as she is not dehydrated, we figure she is getting what she needs while at home.

She got her first incident report from daycare on Friday... when she had a toy that another baby wanted. When that baby found he could not pull the toy out of her grasp, he bit her, but she did not cry - and she refused to let go, so he finally gave up and crawled away, and that is when the teacher found the bite mark on her. They said they saw it happen, but because she made no noise nor change expression, they did not realize he actually bit DD until they saw the mark (it did not break the skin). Ah well. I did not expect the biting over toys to start at such a young age among the babies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

DS is turning 1 on Friday!  He is also still getting 3 bottles a day and drinking about 18 oz a day.  We started with 4 oz of BM and 2 oz of milk and now we are down to 2oz of BM and 4 oz of milk.  After reading your posts Im thinking that he isnt getting enough snacks during the day.  I guess I thought his bottles were his snacks because they are at 10:30, 2:30 and before bed.  Maybe Ill try and offer a snack with the milk!

I have succesfully stopped pumping!  Woohoo!  I was nervous that it was going to hurt but I am fine...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

To be honest, I have no idea if it is the bottles themselves (our pedi says off by age 2) or the amount of milk that I am worrying about.  We are in transition from bmilk to whole milk.  She is currently at half and half with no issues so far.  She takes water from a sippy with no problem.  I was planning to start milk in the sippy this weekend while I am with her for the long holiday.  I suppose if the amount is OK, then I shouldn't really care how she is taking it.  I must have made the jump in my head that one bottle = 8 oz of milk for the day.  She sleeps well and has plenty of energy during the day.  Maybe she's a "grazer"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Hi all! I have a question on my 11 week old DS. He started daycare this week and all of a sudden sounds hoarse. So, I am obviously worried that he was crying a lot at daycare. His teachers said he had good days. Do you think they would tell me if he was crying a lot?  He also just started doing this high pitched scream that started before he began daycare, so not sure if that could be causing the hoarseness?

How do I ask about him crying and being hoarse without sounding like I am accusing them? Also, I do know he likes to be held, but I also know they can't hold him all day. He is also only doing 15-20 minute naps there, so is probably getting overtired.

Just not sure what I should do about all of this and how worried I should be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Listen to your gut, memes and ask what you need to ask.  They are being paid to do you a very important service and you deserve to be able to ask any question you feel needs asking.  If they are offended they don't care enough about the kids in the first place.  

That being said, yes, a high pitched screaming habit can DEFINITELY cause hoarseness.  I'm a vocalist so I have some expertise in this area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Naps-

My oldest switched to one nap by 12 or 13 months.  There was a horrible transition period for a couple weeks where she was overtired with only one nap but didn't really need/resisted a second.  It evened out eventually.

My youngest is 12 months and seems to still like the two naps, but is clearly able to handle it if our activities mess with her second nap.  She just adjusts.  That's her personality, though.  It doesn't look like she's going to force us to a one-nap schedule like my oldest did.  I figure she'll be all over the map this summer and when I go back to school in the fall she'll switch to one nap at daycare easily. hopefully.

All babies are different, though.  My friend's 2 year old still has two naps -- two LONG naps.  My other friend's 2 year old is almost off naps completely. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to memes98's comment:

Hi all! I have a question on my 11 week old DS. He started daycare this week and all of a sudden sounds hoarse. So, I am obviously worried that he was crying a lot at daycare. His teachers said he had good days. Do you think they would tell me if he was crying a lot?  He also just started doing this high pitched scream that started before he began daycare, so not sure if that could be causing the hoarseness?

How do I ask about him crying and being hoarse without sounding like I am accusing them? Also, I do know he likes to be held, but I also know they can't hold him all day. He is also only doing 15-20 minute naps there, so is probably getting overtired.

Just not sure what I should do about all of this and how worried I should be.

I agree that his new "skill" of screaming could be contributing to it, but I would absolutely not be shy about asking. It doesn't mean you're accusing them of anything, it means you want to know what's going on with your child, as you have every right to know. I would just say you noticed the hoarseness and be up front and ask if he's crying more there.

Do they give you daily written reports? Or do you just check in with someone when you pick him up? In any event, if he HAS been crying excessively, it should be communicated to you in some way.

It might also be some sort of virus, possibly, too (like adults can get laryngitis).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Memes - I don't think they'll be offended by your question.  Hope your LO is doing great otherwise!

Hope everyone has a nice holiday tomorrow!
    That being said, I hope some of you are still around now :o) Long story short - thought I found movers, they came to do an in home estimate, estimate is WAY higher than expected.  It's higher for two reasons: he thinks we need 3 movers and that it will take ~8 1/2 hours (which includes 2 hours for travel).  He said he's estimating on the high end for hours because of course he doesn't want us to be shocked by a higher bill.  My question is, for those of you who have moved an entire house (2 BRs) full of stuff, could it really take them 6 1/2 hours to load and unload???  If so, we're going to have to switch the move to a weekday, move a bunch of smaller stuff ourselves, and still pay a few hundred more than expected :o(  This bites!  Thanks ladies!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

Memes - I don't think they'll be offended by your question.  Hope your LO is doing great otherwise!

That being said, I hope some of you are still around now :o) Long story short - thought I found movers, they came to do an in home estimate, estimate is WAY higher than expected.  It's higher for two reasons: he thinks we need 3 movers and that it will take ~8 1/2 hours (which includes 2 hours for travel).  He said he's estimating on the high end for hours because of course he doesn't want us to be shocked by a higher bill.  My question is, for those of you who have moved an entire house (2 BRs) full of stuff, could it really take them 6 1/2 hours to load and unload???  If so, we're going to have to switch the move to a weekday, move a bunch of smaller stuff ourselves, and still pay a few hundred more than expected :o(  This bites!  Thanks ladies!

We moved a 2/3 BR townhouse into a single family house. We had 3 movers; they arrived at the old house and started to pack up around 7:45am. (this included disassembling our large master bookcase headboard & bedframe and part of DD's crib). They were done packing up and on the road to our new house by 11:30ish. They stopped for a short break, came to the new house by noonish, and were done unloading the truck by around 2.

I think they give a higher estimate for the reason you said- so IF it does take that long, you won't be shocked.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - It took the better part of a full day for movers to move us out of our 2 bedroom condo to our house. I am always amazed at how long it takes, even when I think I'm all ready for them. They always insist on wrapping certain things up in particular ways - like every lamp had to be wrapped in a certain way, and like in Summer's case, they had to disassemble some furniture. I've always known movers to overestimate. On the day of the move, I try to keep track of all the timing and about how much of their own materials they end up using (like tape).

p.s. Happy birthday, pugsbaby!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you both!!  It's so nice to have this forum and be able to reach out to multiple people who might have knowledge about something you don't.

Summer - I ended up going with Troy's after all.  He wasn't available on the weekend, but due to the overtime cost of moving on a weekend, I had to switch it anyway.  Good thing he called me today for the 5th or 6th time lol!! 

How was everyone's 4th?  We were at a cookout during the day.  Debated whether DD could make it to fireworks, but in the end brought her home just a little later than her usual bedtime.  Maybe next year!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Good luck with the move, Fram.  Professional movers are always expensive, but I find well worth it in the end.  My DH and I moved two condos into one house 5 years ago.  You should have seen the size of the truck and how much stuff we actually had. 

We actually did end up at the fireworks last night - very impromtu.  DS hadn't napped all day and played outside at family BBQ, so I was very nervous about his mood.  But we brought the stroller, which he hasn't been in forever, but he gladly accepted the ride.  We parked about 15 minute walk away... and I knew he would have wanted to be carried (no way in that heat).  He did great.  Loved the colors... especially the green (his favorite!).  We brought his little headphones that he wears when he rides on DH's lawnmower tractor, and while I felt like the parent that makes her kid wear a helmut while doing a puzzle... for his first time, I think it helped (we were pretty close and they were pretty loud).  He got to bed WAY later than his norm... fell asleep in the car around 10:30pm (into bed with barely an eye open) and woke up at 6:50am rearing and ready to go!  Hope his teachers don't hate me today :-)  Pool party at friend's tomorrow.  His first and second summers he really loved the pool... if still the same tomorrow... we're signing him up for swimming classes at the YMCA.  Its still "mommy and me" until they are 3... but he seems interested and I want him to be a good swimmer as early as possible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

I moved about a week and a half ago. I moved from a 4 bedroom house [w/ 2 living rooms] into a 2 bed apt and storage unit [long story as to why].  It took 5 movers from 9 until 3.30.  It only took about 20 minutes for travel.  EVERYTHING was packed ahead of time [some of the furniture was also wrapped in advance].  And I had ferried some stuff over myself prior to the movers coming.  I think that is a very reasonable estimate on time, esp if you are only having 3 movers.  My guys were very efficient, moved fast and didn't stop for lunch.   When we moved into that house, it took only about 4-5 hours. I suspect that was shorter b/c there was no elevator involved.

Good luck!