July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

Fram, yes, I think it can take that long.  I moved into an 800 sq ft apt (1 bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room) with 3 very adept and efficient movers with a 45 minute drive between places, and it took a lot of the day (seems to me about 6 hours) and cost $1000.  It was under what they estimated, and they did such an excellent job I never regretted the cost for a second.

beware the movers that quote you much less.  Either they really are that cheap and they are careless and horrible, or you end up paying far more than the estimate because they tricked you into choosing them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I hope everyone enjoyed and was safe for the 4th! 

It was great to be off the the long holiday weekend!  Mondays are also hard to get back into the swing of things!  We went to a parade and a cook out at my dads on the 4th.  We didnt make it to the fire works.  DS was asleep by 6 pm!  I wanted him to have a good night sleep since his bday was the 5th and we had a big bash for him on the 6th!  He had a blast at his 1st bday party!  It was HOT and thankfully there was a pool to cool off in.

I have his 1 year check up tomorrow.  I cant remember but I thought some of you girls had mentioned taking blood.  I know a bunch of us have babies about the same age.  Did your LO have to get blood taken at their 1 year check up? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pugs - So glad to hear DS had fun on his big birthday! If he hasn't had a blood draw yet to determine lead levels, he will most likely have one at his 1-year appointment. Now I know (thanks to folks here) that it can be taken via a finger-prick or an actual draw from the arm. If you're nervous, it might be worth talking to the doctor about if and how they're planning to do it before it's actually done. My son had his at his 9 month appointment - it was with a syringe in his arm - and they couldn't get a sample because his veins were too small. It caused him a lot of stress and I didn't know until posting here that many pediatricians do finger-pricks. If I had known, I might have requested it be done that way if possible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks for the reminder pugs.  DD is one today!!  Her check up is later in the week and I had forgotten about the blood.  Glad he had fun at the party. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to pugslove's comment:

I hope everyone enjoyed and was safe for the 4th! 

It was great to be off the the long holiday weekend!  Mondays are also hard to get back into the swing of things!  We went to a parade and a cook out at my dads on the 4th.  We didnt make it to the fire works.  DS was asleep by 6 pm!  I wanted him to have a good night sleep since his bday was the 5th and we had a big bash for him on the 6th!  He had a blast at his 1st bday party!  It was HOT and thankfully there was a pool to cool off in.

I have his 1 year check up tomorrow.  I cant remember but I thought some of you girls had mentioned taking blood.  I know a bunch of us have babies about the same age.  Did your LO have to get blood taken at their 1 year check up? 

My DD had a blood test at her 1 year appt a couple weeks ago. It was supposed to be done at her 9mo appt, but the lab was closed that day so her pedi said it'd be done at 12 months. The tech did a finger stick and had to keep squeezing poor DD's finger to get enough blood, and of course I had to try to keep her still. The poor thing cried SO hard at that appt, even just during the exam.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Im dreading DS appointment tomorrow!  HE is not going to be happy about it!

Nov - Happy Birthday to DD! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Happy birthday to all the 1-year-olds, and good luck on the blood draws! DS had his at 1 year, and it was awful holding him while they stuck him but within 30 seconds he was happy again.

Any advice on a kid who is suddenly terrified of the bath? Since the weekend, DS has screamed when we put him in the tub, and won't stop until we take him out. We were away over the weekend at a lake in NH, and had to at least rinse him off multiple times a day, so it was particularly bad timing. I think it may trace to my absentmindedly making the water too hot one of those times (I felt so bad, but got him out right away!), but he's had several perfect-temperature baths since and still freaks out. We've tried easing him into it. I let him run his hand under the faucet and splash his hands in the bath water, throw his toys in, etc., before we put him in. I've even gotten in with him. Nothing works!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My DS had his blood draw at his 1 year appointment and they did it from his big toe.  He didn't cry at all.  See if that's an option because it didn't phase him in the least.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Arcain - how about if you stand in the shower with him? I can not recall how old your LO is now, but I know with DS, we started the showers around 1 year old mark due to the pool (they have showers there) so usually we do baths but occasionally we carry him into the shower.

We have done both showers and baths with DS. And I recall one of the moms who had a son that at 18-20 months, suddenly reacted the same way to the bath (her LO accidentally slipped and went underwater for a second) and they used to use basically a bucket and sponged him because the tub was out of the question. And I think over time, he got over it - for a while, he refused to deal with pools, sprinklers or tub.

Is it just sitting in the tub (even with no water)? I wonder if it is possible to be in the tub without water and slowly adding water or using buckets of warm water.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, CWag. I think he'd freak in the shower, too. We had to hose him off in there once recently when he, uh, let loose in the bathtub, and he was none too pleased.

He's almost 17 mos, and when he was really little, DH would sometimes bring him into the shower with him instead of a bath. About 6 months ago he freaked out a couple times when we tried that, so we stopped.

I haven't tried having him sit in the tub with no water. Might be worth it to try and isolate the problem further. He is interested in the tub -- regularly goes up to it and throws stuff in (whether there's water there or not). Last night I thought we were over it. I filled the tub and he happily stuck his hand under the faucet while I was filling it, threw his toys in, splashed his hands in the water, and even tried to lean into it. But as soon as I picked him up to put him in he screamed bloody murder.

And it's not a fear of getting in the water in general either -- we had him at the lake last weekend and he LOVED it. We struggled to keep him from jumping out of our arms and into the water!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Can he still fit in the kitchen sink?  Maybe a change of bath venue would help? 

OT, but does anyone have suggestions on where to get DD a monogrammed lunch bag?  I have looked at LL Bean, Lands End, and PBK and can't find a style & pattern I like.  Hoping there is someplace else that I'm not thinking of. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Acrain - Sorry I dont have any other ideas for you regarding the bath. 

Nov - Have you tried etsy? 

DS did good at his doctor appt.  He is 22.9 lbs and 30.5 inches long!  He had 2 shots and they drew blood from his finger.  He didnt like it at all and ripped the band-aid off immediately!  But we made it through it and its over!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Arcain, wish I had bath suggestions.  Maybe just consolation.  My DS is 2.9, and will only take baths STILL in the little baby tub.  That means, that infant plastic, TINY tub.  Its comical to see.  We fill it inside the big tub, and his feet stick out the end and it barely covers his belly button.  He is terrified to sit in the big tub without the little tub... and don't get me started with the shower.  That is like pouring acid on him!  We keep telling him he can get boats and bathtub markers as soon as we get rid of the plastic tub and sit in the "big boy tub," which he wants to do.  But changes his mind just before bathtime, insisting he still needs the small tub. 

My only silver lining is how much water I've saved these past 2 years only filling an infant tub vs. half the big tub!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

IPW have you tried a tub like this inflatable tub that sits in your big tub? That's what we use for DS and it works well.  He's too big for the infant tub and too small for the regular tub so this is a great middle ground.

Happy birthday to all the little ones!  Glad you made it through the DR appointment Pugs!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good Morning!  I was thinking about giving DS some eggs.  He has not had them yet although he did have some french toast the other day.  Do you think it is ok to give him scrambled eggs now that he is 1? Or should I still be worried about the egg whites?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to pugslove's comment:

Good Morning!  I was thinking about giving DS some eggs.  He has not had them yet although he did have some french toast the other day.  Do you think it is ok to give him scrambled eggs now that he is 1? Or should I still be worried about the egg whites?

I've given my  DD scrambled eggs since she was around 11 months. My reasoning (besides pedi telling me DD was ok to have any foods except nuts, honey, milk before age 1) was that her birthday cake would have eggs in it, and I didn't want to find out on her birthday if she was allergic to eggs!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

On the tub front: my DS (10 mos) has hated the bath from the day he was born.  Doesn't matter if it's the sink, a sponge bath or the tub.  He screams through the whole thing.  DD on the other hand, has always loved the water and the tub...she hates the shower though.   

Last week we were outside with the hose and i had it on MIST, and he LOVED it...was giggling and laughing like crazy.  Then we tried a bath that night (with his 2.9 year old sister) and for the first time, he was no longer horrified.  Last night, he actually smiled in the tub. 

I only tell the story to say that I have no advice or suggestions, but I've been there!  Just keep trying! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pugs, I've been giving DD scrambled eggs for about 2 months.  We started with just yolks and water, then worked in the whites gradually.  I put a little american cheese in, too.  Its one of the few things she'll eat consistently, so she has them almost every day.   Hmm... I never even thought about it that she has been eating things made with whole eggs (meatballs, for ex.) before summer said it. 

On the lunch bag front, after spending way too much time online yesterday flipping through nothing I liked, I got a non-personalized one at Target.  She doesn't seem to mind ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

IPW, my DS still goes in the little tub too and he's almost 18 months.  I like how quickly it fills up and I'm afraid of him slipping too much in the big tub.  Guess I should consider moving him in the near future though as he is getting a little big for it.

Does anyone have a backpack they like as a diaper bag?  I checked out the Vera Bradley one but it's really big (though I didn't look much at the non-baby packs). As DS gets bigger, I find I need to bring less when we go out and I'd love a small backpack with pockets. Any recommendations?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for the tub advice! IPW, I hope your DS comes around to the big boy tub.  Luv, I hope your DS's turnaround sticks!

Pugs, my DS definitely had eggs before 1 and was fine (although he only likes them about 10% of the time, but that's true formost foods with him!) my pedi is also of the "anything but honey and nuts" school, and DS has been fine.

Tc, we have a Fisher Price one that I like. Not too big, but good for day trips and big enough focaller vet and phone when I don't feel like bringing a purse. I think this is it. Good pockets, etc. we registered for a Columbia one bc my SIL swore by hers but they apparently switched manufacturers between her kids and mine and the one we got was small, cheap, and terrible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hm, don't think the hyperlink function works on the iPad (BDC boards buggy? No way!) tc, here's the backpack we have http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Deluxe-Sporty-Diaper-Backpack-/dp/B00CJX8HBA/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1373507424&sr=1-3&keywords=fisher+price+diaper+backpack.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Arcain, I'm right there with you on the bath situation. I wish I could offer advice but DD hates all water; baths, swimming pools, water tables, the sink, the shower, everything. We just wash her real quick, sing the silly "5 Little Ducks" song that she loves and hope for the best!

DD turned 6 months last week and we're starting her on some foods which is really fun. We're trying the "Baby Led Weaning" method from Gill Rapley and having a lot of fun with it. Have any of you tried this method? It's basically a method of introducing solids that skips the pureed stage and goes right to finger foods and self-feeding. So far DD's gummed raw red pepper strips, watermelon, banana, broccoli, grilled chicken, green beans, and had pre-loaded spoons of yo baby yogurt and apple sauce. I'm wondering what to do now about daycare, I'm not sure they're going to want the mess that comes along with this way of feeding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

tc-no backpack suggestions, but as I've realized less and less stuff is needed, I now just carry a few diapers, snacks and wipes in my big purse. I use a coach purse with a strap that can expand so I can wear it across my chest (not the best look-but when chasing kids it is helpful!), but I can shorten it an still take it to work. (though I do get funny looks when I try and find somethign in the bottom and take a few diapers out...)

Big news in the KAM household-putting DD to bed last night, she took her paci out and threw it on the ground. When I said "Looks like you're ready to be a big girl and no more paci" she said "yes" and we went to bed without it! yay! Hopefully the same will go for tonight. She only uses it for bedtime, but I'd still love to be done with it. Though she is teething something fierce, so I wasn't going to push it until she was feeling better-still now throwing them out yet. DH took her to the dentist today for her first visit-according to him she basially refused to open her mouth. Lots of toys and convincing and the dentist was able to look in. For those of you debating taking your under 2 year old...not sure it's worth the cost unless you think there is a brewing problem. If you have insurance that covers cleanings 100% might be worth the time to go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Mo - for daycare you could send some of the easier finger foods.  For instance, mandarin oranges are a huge hit with DS.  I actually have to limit how many we give him because he will eat them all day if he could.  Also, talk to your daycare provider, I'm sure you're not the first one there to be in this situation. 

Random but... DS has been signing "all done" for a few months now and also does his own little word for it (which is really him just yelling "aaaaa" while signing) but today has started using it randomly and not in context. This morning he did it while sitting in my lap and then started laughing and at lunch today he did it 3 bites into eating with DH and then continued to eat his food. Anyone else's kids start randomly using their signs in the wrong context? Anything we should do to try to reinforce what they mean?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - I was going to suggest the same thing, to try it without water and maybe slowly add it in with a bucket or pitcher. Have you tried very cool water, so it's more like the lake? Poor guy!

Nov - I second Etsy if you are still in the market for a personalized lunch bag. Also, Zulily often showcases one particular vendor who does adorable personalized food things.

Pugs - like others, I've given DS (11 months) eggs for several months now. We have no food allergies anywhere in our family and I watched closely for a reaction the first few times. I think it all depends on your comfort level.

KAM! Congrats! Can you please have your DD call my DD?