July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

I also use a large purse instead of a diaper bag.  The oneI have has two big pockets with a zippered middle pouch.  My amsll wallet adn phone live in the middle and I use the pouches for a few diapers, wipes, some toys, a snack and change of clothes.  DH actually thought of it - smart guy.  It was my Xmas present from DD.  When we go somewhere that I'll need more stuff (IL's pool, etc) I pack the regular diaper bag and leave it in the car.

DD had her 1yr check up and did great.  Nice and healthy and on track for all her measurements.   Just a little squeak with the vaccines, but a full on cry with the thumb stick blood draw - tears and all.  She settled down pretty quickly with a bottle after.  Speaking of which, pedi is fine with the # of bottles per day as long as her total milk intake throughout the day stays around 24 oz.  Said calcium is actually better absorbed in smaller doses.  Guess I'll have to find a new something to worry about.  Lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I use a pocketbook/satchel I like instead of a diaper bag.

For eggs, I think my older DD had scrambled eggs with no trouble at 11 months or so. 

My youngest has been having egg yolk since about 7 months.  She had a bite or two of my scrambled eggs the other day so I figured she was ok with whites now (13 months).  I gave her her own scrambled egg yesterday.  She loved it, gobbled it up insanely fast, then acted fussy for 5 minutes or so after finishing, started screaming, then puked it up.  then she tried to eat it again, since obviously eggs are delicious.  So I guess I'm waiting another month or so before trying whole eggs haha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Novem and Lissa - I'm going to copy your posts and send them to my husband. He still teases me for buying myself a gorgeous leather satchel to use "as a diaper bag" last Mother's Day. It's the perfect bag!

Novem - sorry for the tears. :( But glad it was relatively quick, and good news about the bottles.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Kam - Great news about the binky!  I can only hope DS will be great about getting rid of his.  He is really addicted to that thing.  Makes me nervous when the comes that it is time to get rid of it.  I really hope I have a story like yours.

Nov - Glad to hear DD did well at the doctors.  So funny how recommendations from different doctors varies.  My doctor told me DS should have about 12 oz of milk a day.  I guess our babies will let us know what they will tolerate! 

DS did great with scrambled eggs.  At first the texture was different for him then he gobbled them down. 

I took out the last bag of frozen BM today.  So happy to be done with pumping.  But Im starting to get baby fever again...:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

pugs, I also found that weaning was what led to baby fever for me.  It must be hormonal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I have a good amount of frozen bmilk left.  Are there places to donate it?  I would hate to throw it all out, and it doesnt make sense to me to keep mixing if she is almost at full cow's milk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

I have a good amount of frozen bmilk left.  Are there places to donate it?  I would hate to throw it all out, and it doesnt make sense to me to keep mixing if she is almost at full cow's milk.

http://www.isisparenting.com/page/releasemilkbank

http://milkbankne.org/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In response to Mo41083's comment:

We're trying the "Baby Led Weaning" method from Gill Rapley and having a lot of fun with it. Have any of you tried this method? It's basically a method of introducing solids that skips the pureed stage and goes right to finger foods and self-feeding. So far DD's gummed raw red pepper strips, watermelon, banana, broccoli, grilled chicken, green beans, and had pre-loaded spoons of yo baby yogurt and apple sauce. I'm wondering what to do now about daycare, I'm not sure they're going to want the mess that comes along with this way of feeding.

One of our parents did this with her child, and our teachers were fine with it - all baby feeding is messy, whether it's purees or food!  If this is what you're doing, then childcare will need to go along with it - you'll provide all the food.  this baby did wonderfully, and is a great eater of all types of foods at 20 months of age.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

well, remember that all done can be used for I'm done with this book, or I'm done reading all together, or I'm all done being in your lap, or all done with this puzzle or all puzzles, or whatever....  not just around food.

I'd just keep using the word in all it's correct uses and he'll figure it out.  also, with spoken words (and therefore I'm sure signs) children over generalize first, so when they know the word for airplane they will all things that fly in the sky airplanes, including bugs, birds, butterflies....  and you'll just correct by iusing the right word "yes, look at that beautiful butterfly!' (vs. saying no, that's not an airplane, that's a butterfly).

Look, if you only know 5% of the words you need, you either go silent (adults in another country with non-fluent ability in the language) or you just jump in with 2 feet and talk (toddlers!)  if we could get over ourseslves and do what they do, we'd learn our foreign languages faster!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Alas, a binky free household is no more for the KAM household. DD got a cold the day after she tossed her binky and all she wanted was the comfort back. We tried to stay strong, but man, mama needed sleep!

mo-that's great she's doing so well! I'm sure day care will be fine with what ever you pack for her. I think any baby feeding is messy-so don't worry about that!

I'm not ready for another heat wave this week. :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhavey. Show lhavey's posts

Hi All -

It has been a long time since I have been on this board, but it is nice to see people I recognize from the ttc board here! 

We are currently moving from Quincy to the Plympton/Kingston area and I am freaking out about changing my DS's childcare arrangements.  He currently goes to a non-profit daycare center that we love.  The teachers have been amazing and DS has really thrived there.  Our move is getting more serious and I have been looking for a similar environment for him in the Plympton/Kingston area (DS is not good with change), so that I can make the transition as easy as possible for him.  Does anyone have any childcare recommendation in the area? I am not having much luck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

So DD and I are off to the pediatric cardiologist this afternoon.  Pediatrician detected a heart murmur at her 1 year appointment.  We'd been listening as carefully as possible, since my congenital heart defect means that I have a greatly increased chance of having a child with congenital heart defects.  Of course, she screams bloody murder when being examined.  At her 9 month I nursed her so they could listen but her drinking sounds still made it hard to hear.  She was finally quiet for her 1 year. 

It's odd.  When I'm pregnant, I'm freaked out constantly that the baby will have heart issues.  It is part of the reason I really hate being pregant.  Now that I've got a baby with a little abnormality, I'm feeling fairly calm and honestly not too worried.  She's got good color, eats well, and is obviously oxygenating ok.  If she's got a bit of a murmur, she'll probably outgrow it.  If she had anything like I had we would have known by now--I was turning blue, passing out, and had already been resuscitated multiple times before my open-heart surgery at 6months old.  We'll see what the cardiologist says today. Big sister is sleeping over Grandmom and Grampa's.  DH and I might take advantage of the big-kid-less evening and get some sushi takeout after the baby is asleep tonight. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

lhavey - Have you looked at Magic Dragon in Duxbury?  It is in the Chandler elemantary school and they provide daycare for all ages.   You should check it out!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lissa, I don't think you are odd at all.  The fear of the unknown is always far worse than dealing with the known whatever it is.  And, like you say, a barely audible murmur, while not as great as no murmur, is probably nothing to be alarmed about.  My mother had a quater inch hole in her heart that was not detected (although, she had little stamina her whole life) until she was 50 and it was repaired.  Lots of people have murmurs and never know it.  How scary for your folks to have you turning blue and needing recessitation - no wonder you are nervous before the baby is born!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lissa - will be thinking of you!  Great job being so rational about it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa --  I think it's great and understandable that you can be so rational about it. Having dealt with heart issues yourself and worried about them through pregnancy, you're able to put this in perspective. Nonetheless, I'll be thinking of you and DD!

Clc, DS has been doing the same thing very recently (though he still claps for "all done" rather than the sign we've tried to teach him. Makes it more difficult since he loves clapping in general :-)). CT - that's interesting about the generalizations. DS has been calling all animals "doggie" for awhile now. We do just what you suggest, encourage him but provide the correct word.

He just recently started saying "Mama," and there are a few interesting things about his usage. He seems to say it almost whenever he wants something, not necessarily directing it at me. He used to say "Daddy" very clearly for DH, but now he does the same thing with that word. Since he's in a big "I want" phase, we both hear our names a lot these days :-). He also seems to interchange the two. I get called "Daddy" and vice versa.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lissa - hope your DD's appointment went well. I have a murmur as well, and DD's first pediatrician suspected she might have one, but they didn't seem to feel the need to come to a definite conclusion. Luckily, mine has never given me any trouble. I hope your DD's is mild and harmless.

I need you all to tell me I don't have to get up once, sometimes twice, per night to give my 11 month old a bottle (formula). I keep hoping he'll just suddenly sleep through and not need it anymore, but he's not doing that. Last night he was up twice.

I also am just about at my wits end with DD, who has been getting up on average 3-4 times per night for over a week. Before that she had been doing this, but it had gotten better. It's bad again. We are currently trying a reinforcement chart (pictures of her doing her bedtime activities, the last one a pic of her sleeping in her bed; if she does each thing she gets a star, if she gets all 5 stars (including sleeping in her bed all night) she gets a treat after breakfast), which worked for 3 nights, last night it failed. I'll be curious about her reaction when she finds out she doesn't get her 5th star this morning. She was *just* waking when I left the house at 8am. I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep.

Between being pregnant, then having DS who never slept, now two of them with sleep issues, I have had barely any sleep for over a year and really feel like I'm losing it. I feel incapable of problem-solving or making a decision. And DH isn't a lot of help. He doesn't see the point in having DS "cry it out" to try to wean off the middle of the night bottle, he feels like we should do whatever we can to keep him quiet and all get some sleep. I am kind of in that place as well - do whatever I have to do to shut them up - and am stuck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Poppy how old is your DS again? Maybe you could feed him something before he goes to bed, to make him more full. I never had that problem, luckily, once we stopped nursing at 8 weeks he slept through the night, well at least until 5:30 or 6 am.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-big hugs! Harvey Karps sleep book is great. Not a quick fix but very helpful. Another trick I've used, is delaying bedtime by an hour, then getting them up at the regular time for a week. This forces them to cram the needed sleep in the shortened time. Then by 15 min increments bring the bedtime back to normal. Have you thought of giving some greek yogurt-mix in fresh fruit if the tast is too strong. The higher protein content lower sugar helps maintain them through sleep-so if he is truly hungry you're setting him up with a fully belly that will slowly digest as he sleeps.

How do they do when they nap at day care? Do they fall asleep on their own there? That was my huge "ah ha" moment with DS, when they told me he feel asleep for naps with no problem by himself. I realized he was playing me on the weekends!

DD is going through her own sleep disturbance. She wakes up in the middle of the night and can keep me up for up to 2 hours. Illness and teething has gotten her into this horrible habit. Last night DH heard her and brought her into bed with us-which means no sleep for anyone! Had a conversation with DH that she need to get back to soothing herself to sleep-she is fully capable of doing it!

DD has been super clingy to me, almost to the point where I can't do anything without her attached to my leg. She was pounding her little fists on the door while I went to the bathroom this morning. Sigh. I don't remember DS being this clingy at this age, maybe I just had more time to deal with him then???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

poppy - with DS, when he was around 13 months, we started to do where instead of letting him nurse when he first woke up, DH would go to soothe him - and we would set a time like "no nursing before X" and move that X to later. This way, he was not left to cry it out, but he was not eating either, and doing this worked for us.

KAM - I think it is easier in daycare, when all the kids are doing nap as a group activity - it is a part of their routine - lunch, then cots come out, blankets come out, diaper change/potty time and then they lie down on their cots. I know this was the case for DS... he knows he is not missing anything fun with his friends because they are napping. Before he moved into a room with a set naptime, he never napped for more than 15-20 minutes, and then as soon as they did a group nap, he was napping for 2 hours. At home, I really think it is because he feels he is missing out on something fun with us (and we don't get him as tired as running with his friends do!). So weekends, we handle naptime differently than daycare do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

cwag-I totally agree! naps at home mean missing out on fun Mom and Dad time! I realized that DS had the ability to go to sleep on his own (when d.c told me he did so), from that point on I viewed them differently at home. He never once -up to that point-fell asleep on his own at home. since I *knew* he had the still to sleep by himself at school, I started to expect different behavior from him.  DS doesn't need a nap anymore, but will still sometimes do so since everyone else is at dc. I think once you know your child has the skill to put themselves to sleep, or stay asleep, you can slowly expect the same skill at home.

If they can't get themselves to sleep at school then you know what skill needs to be taught.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - with DD we did what cwag said - set a time we knew she could make it to and no feeding until then.  Then moved it back gradually.  I had been feeding her whenever because it was easier - stopping the feedings was harder briefly but then solved our problems.  For your DD, would you comsider putting a pillow and blanket on your floor?  She can come sleep there if she wants but she can't wake you up.  I read this - haven't tried it.

Not to be a jerk or out of line, but what about your DH?  You work full time, could you guys alternate nights so you can get sleep half the time?  I know how ansolutely stupid and miserable I am with the lack of sleep - my heart goes out to you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

KAM, I'm ordering the Karp sleep book today. And I like the yogurt idea for both kids, actually. DD sometimes tells me she's hungry at 2am and since she often doesn't eat a great dinner she very well could be. Also I think if you wake at that hour, your body is just ready for another meal. Last week she scarfed down peanut butter (no sugar) on half an english muffin.

DH does deal with some of this - when I yell and smack him awake, since he sleeps through any noises the kids make (whereas I wake up the instant DD starts to open her door). The problem is, once I am awake it is very hard for me to get back to sleep, even if I'm not the one physically getting up (though I am about 80% of the time, it's just easier than trying to wake up DH). Also, I'm getting to the point where I am conditioned to wait for the other to wake up once the first one does. I feel like I'm giving myself insomnia.

I told DH today that I am going to start trying to wean DS this week, but of course DH is away on business from Thursday - Sunday. But honestly it might be easier to do it when he's out of the house so I don't have to listen to him being exasperated with the screaming. I don't anticipate it going well because if we don't go in and feed DS when he wakes, he will SCREAM. Holding/rocking/pacifier does NOT soothe him. I might start trying water in the bottle, but not sure how that will go either. I think I'm going to tell DH that I need to sleep in the guest room one night before he goes so I can get a little rest before being on my own for 3 nights. I'm also considering waking DS at 10:30 or so to feed him a little, with the hopes that that would hold him the rest of the night, then eventually wean off of that. Not sure.

It is the same with us and daycare as it is for KAM and cwag - DD will just go to sleep there (for naps) whereas at home it's a whole to-do with back scratching and story reading. Luckily DS goes to sleep like a champ - I put him in awake every time and he's fine. I am so thankful to be able to do that with one of my children. If only he would STAY asleep.

Medford, good idea about the pillow/blanket. Part of the issue is we can't get her to not scream/call for us. Maybe with continued conversation and making our preferences "rules," eventually it will get in her head.

Thanks for your support/suggestions. I HATE not having solutions to things, it makes me bonkers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Totally wean when DH is traveling! though Karp has you do some prep-work during the day so this trip might not work that well. (Order the book from the library!) So much easier to tackle such things when you don't have to deal with someone not on the same miserable sleep deprived page as you! (my DH just can't bare to hear the kids cry-so I totally understand where you're at! DH busted into DD's room one night because she was crying when I was holding her-he feared something had happened to me since I couldn't soothe her quickly. LOL) I've done a lot of "training" when DH travels. ;) I potty trained DS while DH was traveling-I know I'd be fully in charge and consistent...

re-yogurt, some nights when DS has trouble falling asleep he now asks for yogurt, give him some and he'll fall asleep within 15 min. Trader joes makes an awesome full fat greek yogurt, cabot has started making a good one too. My kids eat it plain all the time, but for fun some nights I'll throw in some fresh strawberries or blue berries.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That's great, thanks. I took Friday off because of DH's travel and DD will be in preschool. I think DS and I will make a Traders run! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sometimes finds it easier to do these things without DH nearby.