July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

Cardiologist went well. EKG was normal. Murmur is there but negligible.  They were just being super-cautious because of my history.  Still, treated myself to a frappe yesterday evening.  I totally deserve it after the somewhat stress.

Poppy, the kid is just messing with you.  Granted, he's probably got 1 yr molars working their way up through (ugh, they take forever!), and being used to being fed in the middle of the night means he probably genuinely feels hungry, even if he doesn't need the food then.  Still, you deserve to get some sleep.  He deserves to get some sleep too.  DH should get some industrial ear plugs (they sell them in multi-packs at Lowe's or home depot) and deal.  Or wait until he goes on that trip.

My DH is the same way.  He is very good at following instructions and is more patient than I am when there is a procedure in place.  but he really struggles when things are evolving and the procedure is fluid and based on how the kid does.  When the baby is tiny and wakes up every night all the time, he's fine (it's not like he has to nurse the baby); but when the baby is older and is teething and it's hit-or-miss, he gets all freaked out about the crying.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, lissa!!  You definitely deserved that frappe, and how extra yummy given the heat wave. :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy - So sorry you're dealing with this! GL with the night weaning! I don't have any advice except remember that he doesn't need to eat. Even if he's waking up hungry, it's still largely a comfort thing, and particularly if you add another snack in there, he will be fine once you get the new routine down.

RE: sleep, you sound exactly like me. We have a monitor that only clicks on when DS makes a noise, so even if it's just once, you hear a click and a bit of static. The monitor is on DH's side of the bed most nights, and I will still wake out of a deep sleep if it merely clicks on. I can't even get back to sleep on the weekend mornings when DH gets up with him. I'll wake up at the first sound, stay wide awake until DH gets up (usually takes awhile...) and brings him downstairs, then I'll try for an hour to go back to sleep and give up. And then the next day when it's my actual turn to get up, I'm grumpy about it and have no recourse :-).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Poppy, so sorry about the sleep!  My 10 Month old has started stirring in the middle of the night lately, but not really waking up; it's only if I go to check on him that he reacts.  I'd echo others' suggestions of feeding him something substantial, like yogurt or an extra couple of oz of formula/milk before bed, as much to assure yourself as anyone.  There was someone on here who started leaving sippy cups of water in the crib...if he is teething, it's probably feeding for comfort more than nourishment, so that might work? 

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never used a baby monitor.  We lived in an apartment until about 5 months ago, so the kids were always within hearing distance, and even now, with a house, I can hear them if they need me.  I had one, but never took it out of the box!  

I have a question about AF return.  I'm 10.5 mos. postpartum, and still nursing mornings and evenings.  I stopped pumping during the day about a month, month and a half ago.  With DD, I nursed for 2 mos, pumped a total of 6, so I have no experience with weaning or any of that. I got AF about 6 weeks after I stopped pumping with DD.  If you nursed through a year, when did AF return?  I know it can vary, but interested in others' experiences. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

lissa-so glad to hear everything is okay! I have a minor murmur, one thing to know (and I'm sure you probably know this) is if she should take antibiotics before going to the dentist. Some dentists won't do a cleaning unless you're on antibiotics as a precaution. Totally random though for the day!

And now I'm totally craving a frappe!

DD had me up for a while last night and I was rather grumpy with her (and life in general -thanks to the heat), then the dope slap came as I drove into work and heard the radio station 104 doing their Children's hosptial telethon. Put it into perspective that my kids are healthy enough to be home with me (keeping me up at night) when so many kids can't torture their parents that way. Both of my kids have been to children's for brain/heart scans and I'm so truly thankful they are healthy. Trying to remember this to soften the blow of the night time wake ups, and early AM wake up from DS today. (doesn't mean I still don't realllllyy want a solid night's sleep though!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We don't use a baby monitor either.  We have one and I use it when DD is napping and I'm working outside in the garden. Other than that, we don't really need one.  She's loud enough.  If we used one I'd be the same way, waking up listening to her breathing.

Luv, this probably doesn't help inform you situation too much, but I got my period back 6 weeks postpartum with DD#1 and 4.5 weeks postpartum with DD#2.  I exclusively breastfed both of them, introducing some solids at about 5.5 months.  I never supplemented with formula and kept breastfeeding (gradually increasing solid foods and decreasing bmfeedings) until 15 months with DD#1.  DD#2 is 13 months old now and we're down to two feedings a day, one at bedtime, one upon waking.  The breakfast feeding is totally unnecessary and I'm contemplating weaning her off it. I'm just lazy.  It buys me 20 more minutes in bed.  Yesterday she looked and me and said "bread?" and pointed towards the door.  So I think we'll be down to one feeding soon.

Anyway, I think my case is rare. I have two friends who didn't get their periods back until after weaning completely (at around 12 months) and one who got her period back but very spotty and irregular at around 8 or 9 months, while still breastfeeding. My mom says she got hers back almost immediately, despite breastfeeding, as well.  I don't usually spot at all but when I am breastfeeding I do a bit.  The first time around that stopped as soon as I weaned. Just amke sure you're all set with contraception! Even without menstruating you could be ovulating!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa, sorry, our posts overlapped -- so glad to hear that everything went well! And now I want a frappe too :-).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Lissa, wonderful news about your DD2.  You must feel so relieved.

Poppy, oh, I feel for you.  Sleep issues are so hard to fix.  I think your DS is fully capable of sleeping through the night and, if it were me, I think I'd grit my teeth and let him cry it out for a few nights.  (Feed him a large snack before bed, make sure his room is a comfortable temperature etc. - anything you can do to make sure he's set up for a good night).  For your DD, I think the sticker incentive chart you are doing is great.  Maybe you should up the prize to provide more incentive - ie - every night she earns her 5 stars she gets a special treat but if she earns her stars every night for a week, she gets to pick out a toy, or watch an extra show or whatever you think will motivate her.  If it's any consulation, my DD1 who is 3.5 went through a similar struggle with sleep when she had just turned 3.  It lasted for about a month and I think it was a developmental thing - she was having nightmares and needed reassurance that we were still there.  It was rough but she has grown out of it on her own. Regarding the issue of waking up the minute you hear a noise and then not being able to go back to sleep - that is the worst!  I have this issue too and we now just keep our baby monitor on mute so we can't hear any noises at all.  If either child is crying loudly we would be able to hear it through the wall and we can tell from the lights on the monitor if the room is noisy.  This way, I sleep through without waking up hearing them move around.  Maybe worth a shot?

My latest struggle is with DD2 who is 11.5 months.  She is biting me all of the time.  She bites DH on occasion and (so far) hasn't bitten anyone else that we know of. The bites are on my arms, legs, shoulders etc.  It happens all of the time - when she is trying to get my attention, when she is tired and sometimes just when she is in a playful happy mood.  After she bites me, I say "no bite" very sternly and pull her away and she shakes her head "nooo" while smiling (which is awfully cute).  Meanwhile I have bruises and skin breaks everywhere.  Any advice? Hard to reason with a baby this age although she definitely understands that I don't like it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Rama, DS had a couple of biting phases (only me!) but they only lasted a couple of days. It would usually be when we were playing/roughhousing, but on top of saying "no bite" I would put him down, walk away, and ignore him for a minute. Sounds like your situation might be a bit tougher since she's doing it in multiple contexts, though...

I'm wondering if anyone has strategies for making infrequent overnights at the grandparents' houses go as smoothly as possible. DS is an awesome sleeper at home -- goes to bed happy, STTN, naps well -- but in less familiar place there's always a bit of an adjustment in getting him to go down. First day of our lake vacation he screamed so long that we ended up skipping his nap, and it took a lot of crying before he would go to bed. My Dad watches him on Tuesdays at our house, but took him to their place (central air!) yesterday, and I guess he screamed and refused to nap.

We have a couple of weddings coming up soon and we'll be leaving DS with grandparents overnight and through at least one naptime. I don't want to stress our parents out, and I know I'll stress at the weddings if I think he might be screaming his head off somewhere. Other than trying to visit and do some "practice runs" beforehand (there isn't really even time for that before the first wedding in a couple weeks), is there anything I should be doing to try and minimize the bedtime stress? I know there's probably no easy answer, but I figured I'd see if anyone had good tips.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lissa - great!

luv - with DD it didn't return until I stopped all dayyime pumping and feeding, just nursing at bedtime and wake up.  Around 13 months.  But that was definitely on the long side.  I could tell it would be coming, and it was really bad that first month.

arcain - not sure how old your lo is, but as DD got older, she did better if we arrived places early, played in the room she'd be sleeping in, let her warch us set up the pack and play and her stuff, et cetera.

Sleep - have any of you light sleepers tried white noise for yourselves?  DS is still in our room, but it has been either window fan or window AC every night since he was born, and I'm sleeping through all his noises so much more easily than I used to with DD.  We also have the monitor that clicks on (for DD) and it jelps with that as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lissa... such great news. 

Poppy - good luck this weekend if you try CIO while DH is away.  He definitely does not need the food at 11 months and I'm guessing is just used to the comfort.

On the topic of sleep... the weirdest thing happened last night.  I woke around 2am for some reason, and looked quickly and thought the cat was sitting in our bedroom doorway.  Then I realized the cat was on my feet, and it was DS sitting in our doorway.  He now has a big boy bed and likes that he can get out on his own, which up until now, he's only done in the mornings.  It was so weird.. he was just sitting there in the dark.  I have no idea how long he was there.  I got up and asked him if he was ok and walked him back to bed.  He went back to sleep no problem.  But it was just so strange...

Speaking of monitors... my friend told me to ditch the monitor for DS (2.9).  I also leave it on the setting where it only pops on when a fairly loud noise is made.  Clearly I didn't hear him get out of his room last night... so I think I will put it away until new baby comes this Nov. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats Lissa!  Glad everything checked out okay.

Poppy - have you tried the Good Nite light for your DD?  I believe a few mothers on here have used it with success.  Miss Lily perhaps?  We have one ready and waiting for when DS needs some help with sleep but for now he's a great sleeper.  Also, a mother in playgroup just got her son to end the 4:30 am feeding at 14 months by giving him a small dose of Benadryl before bed for 3 nights.  It was enough to get him to STTN for those three nights and has been STTN since.  Not sure if that's a course of action you're willing to take but it worked for her.

IPW - we had a weird sleep night last night too.  DS woke at 10 pm crying.  I think it was a nightmare because he quieted down and fell back to sleep as soon as I picked him up but he was clutching me.  Poor little guy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lissa - great news, on both counts (the murmur and the frappe)!

We don't use a monitor for DS because he woke up every 2 hours or so for the first 7 months of his life and is very loud. We use one for DD only because I *want* to hear that click of her door when she decides to get up in the night. It beats being startled awake by her standing next to my side of the bed, Paranormal Activity-style. As soon as this phase is over, I'm turning off the monitor. Last night I went in to see her sobbing standing next to her bed, confused. So I think there could be some bad dreams happening there.

I actually bought the good-night light but haven't opened it yet! I might do that soon. I didn't want to overwhelm her with changes and started the sticker chart first. I'm afraid she'll be so excited by the new light she'll be up all night. (Rama, good idea about upping the ante, by the way.)

Luv - with both kids (nursed until 9 months with both) I got AF back quickly, well before I stopped nursing. So I'm not much help.

Rama - sorry about the biting! I don't have much advice, except to try what Arcain suggested and walking away from her. I know my DS (11 months) thinks it's super funny when I say "no" to something. Not effective at all right now.

Arcain - that used to happen to us with DD anywhere but home. The only thing we found that worked was to have her go there enough for it to become familiar. That, and talking about it before she went (I can't recall how old your DS is).

IPW - talk about Paranormal Activity! That would have freaked me out. Was he completely awake? Sounds sort of like sleepwalking (or sleepsitting...)?

CLC - dont' think I haven't thought about drugging him! Both of them, for that matter. ;)  But haven't done so... yet...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I wonder if sleep walking is common at a certain age? DS has done this a few times-been sitting on the edge of his bed, or standing and talking while totally asleep.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi everyone!  We are back from vacation.  DD did great while we were away, sticking to her sleep schedule for the most part, even though her teeth are obviously bothering her.  I can see one coming through, but someone mentioned 1 yr old molars?  I thought molars were at 2yo? 

Lissa - great news from the EKG!

Arcain - maybe let him sleep in the PNP at home for a couple of nights before the overnight, so it feels familiar? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you had fun and she stayed on track!  The first set of molars are at one year, the second set at 2.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Hi everyone!  We are back from vacation.  DD did great while we were away, sticking to her sleep schedule for the most part, even though her teeth are obviously bothering her.  I can see one coming through, but someone mentioned 1 yr old molars?  I thought molars were at 2yo? 

Lissa - great news from the EKG!

Arcain - maybe let him sleep in the PNP at home for a couple of nights before the overnight, so it feels familiar? 

People keep asking me about my DD's molars...she's still getting front teeth and I don't think molars are coming anytime soon. She's very close in age to your DD. I think the teeth-timing thing is pretty flexible. I've mentioned on here in the past that I have a coworker who didn't have ANY teeth until she was 2...so I'm not worried lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Us too Summer.  DD only has the four front tops and two front bottoms so far.  I assumed they come in order front to back?  I'll have to ask my dentist cousin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks all for the advice on DS's sleeping. We went to my parents' on Friday because they have central A/C and we don't :-). Getting DS down to nap was a struggle, but I did it. Key word being "I." My mom told me separately that my dad can't bear to let DS cry, so I think "He absolutely wouldn't nap" translates to "He cried for 10 minutes and I went to get him."

My in-laws have him for the first wedding next weekend, and I'm hoping their having raised 3 kids and having 4 grandkids will make them a bit more stoic if he resists bedtime. I think he'll be fine overnight once he gets off to sleep, but I'm still going to worry...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

The 1st year molars typically come in before the cainine teeth do. but of course every kid is different. Poor DS got all 4 first molars and all 4 canine teeth at the same time-it was tough! But better than the long drawn out teething that DD is doing. one.tooth.at.a.time. sigh.

Has anyone been to the NE Aquarium since it's been renovated? Trying to think of something fun to do with some out of town relatives, but looking at the website they talk about timed ticketing-wondering if anyone has done it and how it really works.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Teeth are a pretty much constant source of pain for babies, unfortunately, and the most painful time is when we can't see them, and they're coming up to the surface.  Once they break through, there's real relief.  I notice my son seems to chew on his sippy, and fingers, and just about everything else, just before a tooth breaks.  It also means he is a little grumpy and not his usual cheerful self.  He's got 3 on top and 2 on the bottom so far...

Thanks for all the input on the AF question; with my luck, it'll arrive just as I'm about to spend a week at the beach! 

IPW, so crazy about your DS!  I think weird sleep vibes are going through everyone with the heat and kind of being closed in lately.  DD's (same age as IPWs son) had a really hard time getting to sleep lately.  Last night she wouldn't sleep in her bed as she usually does (nestled between the pillows), but insisted on lying across the bottom of the bed (it's a full, so she's got room)...but she slept through the night in that position. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Knowing the "translation" must give you some sense of relief Arcain. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Everyone, Finally got caught up on your posts!

Poppy - Any updates on the sleep situation?  I too have better luck with any kind of sleep training if DH is not home.
    I too have not been getting much sleep... but it's because of my cat, not my daughter!!!  He has been such a nuisance since we moved.  It was already bad enough with him waking me up at 5 am because he's hungry, now I hear him using the litter box at night and he randomly cries and cries.  Need to move the box and order some kind of feeder with a timer.  Sorry, I know this is random, but it relates to sleep deprivation!

Our move went pretty well.  DD has pretty much been sleeping through the night as usual, except when Mama sneaks into her new room and accidentally wakes her up.  Last week I sent her to the new daycare center for about 3 hours on Tues, 6.5 hours on Wed, and full days on Thurs and Fri.  On Fri and this Mon, she cried and cried and cried at drop off, which is so unlike her.  My poor baby :o(  But today she was fine, so that's promising.

What would a move to a new place be without a trip to the ER?  DD has a boil on her little bum.  At first I thought it was a bee sting.  By the time I called the pedi on Sun, they wanted me to have her looked at right away... Lesson learned - go to urgent care next time, not an ER.  Funny to realize I am still such a rookie.  Anyone have experience with a boil?  I feel so bad for her.  She has only had three doses of antibiotics so the verdict is still out on how much it's improving.  It does look better though and hoping it will look way better by tomorrow morning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good to hear from you, Fram - I've been wondering how the move went! Glad DD is able to sleep well in her new home and hopefully she'll warm up to the new daycare very soon. It's so wrenching to leave them crying. And poor thing with her boil!! I hope the medication clears it up quickly. This is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between ER and urgent care?

Our sleep situation is a little better, but I totally chickened out on weaning DS while DH was away. I just couldn't do it. I did reduce the amount I am feeding DS when he wakes; we're down to 3 oz. I'll continue doing that, then move to a sippy of water in the crib. We'll see. Luckily, DD is sleeping MUCH better, so as long as one of them is doing ok I feel like I can function.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-changing sleep habits is a process that can take a while-sounds like there is some progress! DS is 11 mo right? are you starting to transition from bottles to sippy's? When you make that transition the night time wakings might wean themselves...drinking from a sippy isn't as soothing as a bottle-even if it's filled with milk/BM/formula. My DD has always done better with changes when I tell her what the change is, seems silly to say, but you'd be surprised how many decisions we parents make and don't communicate to the kiddos. I've told DD what I expect her to do when she wakes up at night "lovie will help you go back to sleep, give it a big hug it will help you get back to sleep." Telling her that one night actually helped with some of her night time wakings.

Fram-glad to hear the move and transition has gone well! Sorry to hear about the boil!

Urgent care is best when you're sick, need to see a doctor when you're doctor's office is closed-strep/sinus infection on the weekend-infections where you most likely need meds soon. ER is more for acute injuries-fell hit head/broke leg-asthma attack/need stitches. the insurance bill for the ER will be bigger than for urgent care-which may only be a regular co-payment depending on your insurance.

Sections
Shortcuts