July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

In response to KAM2007's comment:

The 1st year molars typically come in before the cainine teeth do. but of course every kid is different. Poor DS got all 4 first molars and all 4 canine teeth at the same time-it was tough! But better than the long drawn out teething that DD is doing. one.tooth.at.a.time. sigh.

Has anyone been to the NE Aquarium since it's been renovated? Trying to think of something fun to do with some out of town relatives, but looking at the website they talk about timed ticketing-wondering if anyone has done it and how it really works.

I haven't been but am planning on going next weekend. I worked there for a few years and can only imagine that timed tickets has lessened the amount of time it actually takes to get inside, so I'd encourage you to go!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The molars take forever, so they could be bothering her way before coming through.  they usually get their front teeth, then the 1 yr molars, then the canines, then the 2yr molars.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Arcain... after my cat kept standing on my head at 4am howling for food... I bought a timed food dispenser on Amazon and it is the best thing ever.  My cat can almost tell time now... he goes and sits right in front of it about 15 minutes before food comes out.  It took about a week for him to learn that I no longer was the food lady, but the machine was... but now its heaven!  I highly recommend!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Hi ladies!  I'm new to this corner of the boards, but for those of you who were following the pregnancy threads, I had my baby girl 1 month ago.  We are doing well.  

DD breastfeeds like a champ, which is a huge relief.  She's gaining weight rapidly, and is no longer so much the little munchkin she was when she was born.  I have also begun to pump, and we have introduced a bottle.  I would like to build up a small stash of milk that DH can use (while I'm still on maternity leave), if I am occasionally away from her.  (I'm still heading into work for a few hours here and there as needed.)  Ideally, I'd also love it if DH took over one of the nighttime feedings.  

My problem is that I can't figure out when to pump!  DD wants to nurse every 1-2.5 hours during the day, and it's hard to predict when her next feeding will be.  I don't want to pump away milk she is expecting to drink soon. Also, when I have pumped immediately following a daytime nursing session (per a suggestion I found on the Isis website), I only get like 1.5 ounces out.  I know DD can guzzle 4 oz of milk in 1 feed, so that's sort of slow going.

I have discovered that I can pump after each of my two middle of the night feeds, and because those are more consistently 3 to 3.5 hours apart, I can get 4.5-5 oz each night that way. However, that is eating away into my sleep time even more, and I am one sleepy mama.  

Anyone have any better suggestions?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Siena, congrats on your new DD and for making it through the first month of motherhood! Sounds like both you and DD are doing great!  Breastfeeding and pumping are hard, especially when the baby is so young and not on a schedule.   It's hard to pump in the middle of the night and I admire you for doing so TWICE!! However, my advice is to maximize sleep and try to pump in the morning after or around the time of a feed.  My milk supply was always greatest in the morning (anywhere from 5am to 9am) and both my DDs as newborns typically were most content in the early morning making it a good time to pump. When I went back to work when DD2 was three months old, I pumped once at 7:00 a.m. or right before I left for work (she typically nursed around 5:30/6 and would have her first bottle at daycare at 9:00) and then again at 10:00 at night right before I went to bed and about 1 hour after DD's last feeding.  My body soon adjusted to producing milk during those times and I eventually had to wean myself off of pumping then when I didn't need as much milk.  You are only one month post-partum and your body is still probably trying to regulate your milk supply which will be hard to do until your DD is a more regular eater. The good news is that your DD is growing and changing every day, and very soon (like in the next few weeks possibly!) she will be nursing at predictable times throughout the day.  So, if you hang in there for a few more weeks, I think you will figure out a time during the waking hours to fit in a pumping session.  That way, even if you still have to pump at night to build up your supply, you should only have to do it once. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Do they make those food dispensers for kids?  Like at 3 pm it hands out pbj's or granola bars? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to siena09's comment:

Hi ladies!  I'm new to this corner of the boards, but for those of you who were following the pregnancy threads, I had my baby girl 1 month ago.  We are doing well.  

DD breastfeeds like a champ, which is a huge relief.  She's gaining weight rapidly, and is no longer so much the little munchkin she was when she was born.  I have also begun to pump, and we have introduced a bottle.  I would like to build up a small stash of milk that DH can use (while I'm still on maternity leave), if I am occasionally away from her.  (I'm still heading into work for a few hours here and there as needed.)  Ideally, I'd also love it if DH took over one of the nighttime feedings.  

My problem is that I can't figure out when to pump!  DD wants to nurse every 1-2.5 hours during the day, and it's hard to predict when her next feeding will be.  I don't want to pump away milk she is expecting to drink soon. Also, when I have pumped immediately following a daytime nursing session (per a suggestion I found on the Isis website), I only get like 1.5 ounces out.  I know DD can guzzle 4 oz of milk in 1 feed, so that's sort of slow going.

I have discovered that I can pump after each of my two middle of the night feeds, and because those are more consistently 3 to 3.5 hours apart, I can get 4.5-5 oz each night that way. However, that is eating away into my sleep time even more, and I am one sleepy mama.  

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Sorry to say I have no advice, but I wanted to say congrats & welcome!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Siena, congrats and welcome! 

Does her first morning feeding happen around the same time?  I would set an alarm (I know, horrible!) and pump before DD got up in the morning, just for a half hour or so.  There'd be plenty of milk for her and I certainly produce better when I'm nursing her rather than pumping.  Since you're not working yet, it's not a big deal if she wakes up early one day and you don't get to.  If you've established a supply, you'd probably be able to pump after nursing in that event anyway.  Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Siena, not much advice from me on the pumping (though the above is very helpful), but just wanted to say congrats and welcome!

So, I'm just curious -- did others' kids generalize use of "mommy" and "daddy" in addition to other words when they first started talking? I was thrilled, after MONTHS of saying "daddy," when DS (17 mos) started saying "mommy" a few weeks ago. But it seems to be more associated with when he wants something than with me, though. DH told me that, when he's getting DS his breakfast, DS will tug at his legs (he's VERY impatient for breakfast) and say "Mommy! Mommy!" over and over. I don't mind and know it will pass, but I didn't exactly expect this phase.

On a related note, every man he sees seems to be "daddy." Just as every animal is "doggie" and every inanimate object is "light." So funny how their language develops.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, very natural for him to do that.  At first, words are just mimicked sounds.  The association between those sounds and meaning takes a gradient of development. Indeed, right now he does associate the sound "mommy" with the idea of getting his needs met.  And, he associates the sound "daddy" with the concept of a man.  It won't take long before he makes the distinction of what a name means.  It's a more complicated concept than most nouns.

Associations narrow in scope with continued observation of the context in which you use those words.  Right now they mean more to him than they actually mean.  "Mommy" doesn't just mean "get me something" to him - it's a catch all word for everything he associates with you right now, and you'll see him use it in other ways until it does narrow to the idea of it being your name.  Just like doggie will mean all animals until it narrows appropriately to just mean a dog vs a cat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats, Siena! I totally agree with all of Rama's advice.

Arcain - it figures that they use that word when they want something, eh? I don't recall if DD did this, but both kids only said something that remotely sounded like "mama" when in the throes of a meltdown until they were well over a year old (well, DS is still not quite a year, but I can imagine it going on a bit longer like it did with DD). DS will say "mama... mama!!" when crying hysterically, yet when he's all happy and I say, "can you say "mama"?" he smiles at me and says, "baba!"

We've had some progress with the sleeping/eating in the middle of the night with DS!! He randomly slept through the night Tuesday night (a miracle for him and us, since at 11.5 months old I can count on one hand the number of times he's slept through the night). Ah-HA! You CAN do it!! Now that I know he can do it without eating, last night when he woke at 4am I didn't give him a bottle. He was NOT happy. I tried a sippy cup of water (he uses a sippy cup at every meal) which further p!ssed him off. He alternated between snuggling/screaming for about 20 minutes, when I fianally got too upset and gave up, went downstairs, got him a 3oz bottle, and came back up... to a quiet room. He went back to sleep and slept until about 7:00. Yay!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I've got middle schoolers.  They still yell Moooooooooooom when they want something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Welcome to I&T, Siena!  Sounds like you are doing everything right.  My advice would be to pump when you can and get as much as you can and just stash it all away.  1 - 1.5 oz will add up after a couple of days.  And definitely take advantage of morning fullness whenever you can.  Don't worry too much about pumping before a feeding, your body will still respond to baby's demand when nursing.  With such frequent feedings, does your LO always nurse both sides?  If not, pump the other side after that feeding. Drink TONS of water  to keep your supply up.  GL!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Siena!  Glad to hear things are going well. 

I don't want to sound discouraging AT ALL, but personally (and this is just my personal opinion/experience), I don't think having DH do a night time feeding is a great idea this early on.  If you tell your body it doesn't need to produce milk at 2 am, it will stop producing milk at 2 am.  Unless you lean towards oversupply, I wouldn't want to do that.  When I went back to work, I never did produce enough milk.  It was probably mostly because I listened to daycare and increased the oz in her bottles when I should have done it more gradually, but either way, I wouldn't want to skip feedings early on and then add that onto supply issues once pumping comes into play.  Another thought is that a baby that young may not need 4 oz bottles.  I would say 2-2.5 oz would be pretty standard for that age, eating that often.  Sucking may just be soothing for her, so there are ways to feed them slowly so that they can suck longer or give them a pacifier after if that is an option.  When I was in your boat, a lot of people on here reassured my that < 3 oz was perfectly fine, though I'm sure there is some variation.  (I can't remember what the LC or pedi said, but it must not have contradicted because of course I would have listened to them if it did.)  And that is good news for you because it means your 1.5 oz will go further than you thought!  Once DD started sleeping through the night around 11 weeks (I was lucky that it started early), I started pumping before bed to build a stash for when I went back two work.  I think I'd only get like 2 oz, but it worked out fine.  Even with not producing enough, I had enough of a stash that I didn't have to supplement until 6 months.  Your supply is supposedly higher in the morning, so if you need a stash, I'd suggest pumpingin the morning.  Your body will produce milk if you need to feed the baby, so if you pump and then she is hungry 30 mins later, don't worry about it.  The next day you'll now to adjust the pump timing a little.  Good luck!

Arcain - I can't remember too well, but I do recally DD saying mama a lot when she was crying/upset.  My nephew was the first baby I spent a lot of time with (he's 15 now!) and I remember when he was under/around a year old he called alllll of us mama and basically used it whenever he needed/wanted something.

AFM - DD is almost 2 1/2.  I get such a kick out of her.  Her latest thing is asking everyone how old they are and what their favorite color is, but it goes something like this: "I two (holds out 5 fingers).  How are you?  What you like?  Pink is my faaavorite."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Siena, I'm definitely no expert, but I've built up a little supply by pumping right before I go to bed. It also helps me not feel so engorged in the mornings. I was worried that DS would be hungry right after I pump, but I figure that I can always give him the bottle that I just pumped. Stinks in terms of building up a supply but at least I 1.) know he's being fed and 2.) don't miss a chance to pump if he's not hungry. I also find that the pump isn't super efficient at draining me, so I'd probably be able to nurse right after pumping. I wouldn't want to because my nipples would probably fall off, but it's an option! I agree with Fram that you may not want to give up any feedings just yet, but I know I always feel better having an extra bottle in the fridge in case someone else is watching DS. If you were to skip that overnight feeding, I think you'd wake up so uncomfortable that it's not even worth the extra 45 minutes of sleep.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Welcome Siena!  I have no advise on pumping since my breast feeding experience didn’t last long (supply issues). I just want say congrats and enjoy spending this moments with her because they don’t last long.  They grow up too quickly.

DD is 8 moths old and has 8 teeth!  Two on the bottle and 6 on top.  Could her molars be come in soon?  She is go nuts with trying to get things to the back of her gums.

I need to your input on something.  The place we rent has all tile floor and I keep having visions of her cracking her head open.  She is getting ready to crawl and we have her confined to a 6 x 8 mat area.  Once she starts crawling we’re going to surround that area with gate.  What do we do when she wants out?  We are currently looking for a house and hopefully will be before she starts walking.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tomarra - if it makes you feel any better, we have a tile kitchen floor and an 11 month old crawler. He's had no issues at all. Except for crawling into the fridge. And walls. And chairs. He hasn't mastered looking where he's going.

The most harrowing time for fear of hitting their heads on the floor is when they are not entirely steady when sitting up and can fall over backwards. Possibly where your DD is at right now? During that (relatively short-lived) time, we would put him on a rug and/or put a pillow behind him. Once they can crawl, they are much stronger and better at balancing and are less likely to fall backwards when sitting. It has happened to DS occasionally, but he's never been badly hurt (because he's already only about a foot from the ground).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Siena - Congrats and welcome!  I agree with the others, I made the most milk in the morning so try to pump after morning feedings.  If you keep up with it your body will make more milk at that time.  Also, It took me about 3 months for my milk to regulate. 

Acrain - DS does that same thing only he calls everyone "Bup", my dad's name for the grandkids.  Atleast you get mama, I havent heard him call me mama yet.  I mean, he says mamammaamama but I dont think that he knows thats me yet.   

Poppy - Congrats on DS sleeping through the night!  My sister is also going through middle of the night wake ups and the CIO method.  Its so hard to hear DS cry but he surprised you! 

tomarra - I agree with Poppy, DS didnt start falling or crashing into stuff until he started walking.  Now that I think back he only crawled for about 2 weeks and then started walking.  But when he was pulling himself to a standing position, he was getting his balance, and started falling a lot then. 

Fram - Loved your DD story - so sweet!

DS is almost 13 months and he only has 4 teeth and the top 2 just came through like 2 weeks ago!  Just waiting for the next ones to pop through.  And he just got over terrible diaper rash again!  The last 4 nights he had baking soda baths, no wipes and triple paste.  But its looking much better today! Thankfully!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks ladies for the welcome and thoughts on pumping!

You are probably right that it's not practical to drop a nighttime feed at this stage. I'm pretty engorged overnight as it is. My ssupply has been fine so far, but I don't want to mess it up! I cant wait to get some more overnight rest though, hopefully in another month or two.  

She does always demand both sides during the daytime feeds, probably bc I trained her too at the beginning when we were instructed to do so in order to overcome some very mild jaundice. I know that's a bit more feeding than usual, but I think she does eat extra, both bc she has a lot of reflux and vomiting  so she's constantly losing calories and bc she has jumped from the 20th percentile weight at birth to the 50th pwrcentile at one month. 

my nighttime pumping paid off in that I was able to attend some important work events this week, so I think I will put it on hold for now and see what I can get with some occasional morning pumpings. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Siena, my friend with triplets had to pump, bf, and supplement with formula at the same time from day 1 - her babies kept it up for about 11 months before they started weening themselves; she had no trouble with supply for having pumped.  Keep up your water intake - your hydration really makes a huge difference.

lots of spitup is normal, and a baby's place can fall in the charts when they have a big growth spurt as counterintuitive as that may sound because they can "suddenly" get longer and leaner than their peers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi Siena.  Welcome to I&T!  Others have said it - but I will also say that for me, if I'm going to pump, I usually need to do it once a day or once every other day and the morning is the best time.  I have been struggling with oversupply problems and have had to really resist the urge to pump more often, but that does seem to be the best time for me.  Our DDs are about the same age - my DD turns 8 weeks tomorrow and I will say that I'm still not totally regulated in terms of supply.  My DD hasn't done great with the bottle, but I go back to work in 4 weeks and I know I need to work at it harder to get her used to it.  My issue with pumping and doing bottles is that I don't want to pump at the "wrong" time to send the wrong signal to my body.  It is definitely hard - I exclusively pumped with my first daughter and in a lot of ways, this is a bit tougher.  I will also say that at this point, I've also discouraged my DH from doing a bottle in the middle of the night.  He wants to give me a break and let me sleep, but I've told him that waking up engorged and in pain almost defeats the appeal of another hour or two of sleep.  Good luck!

I mentioned that my DD2 is turning 8 weeks tomorrow.  Can't believe it.  My DD1 turned 3 years old a couple weeks ago.  Just amazing!  She is such a good big sister and so far I'm loving the 3-year age difference.  I love having two kids and talking about "my girls".

One question for some of you - my DD2 has reflux and spits up a lot.  Comes out her nose, projects out, etc.  Poor thing - I feel so bad for her!  The thing is I can't lay her down flat no matter how long ago she ate.  She has been sleeping in the pack-n-play napper-nest thingy, but that is set up in our living room and therefore I've been sleeping on the couch for the past 8 weeks.  I'm looking for something else to put in our bedroom.  She is almost outgrowing the napper nest anyways, so I know we'll need another option.  In doing some online research, people with babies that have reflux have mentioned the fisher price rock and play sleeper since it lets the baby sleep at an incline.  But I also saw some info that it had been recalled (mold problem? weird).  I'm guessing that the ones sold now are fine.  Does anyone have this or have any experience with it?

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/51903

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

ALS - go directly to BRU, do not pass go, do not collect $100.  I am one of the biggest advocates for the rock and play.  DD refused to sleep flat - as in would wake up from a dead sleep screaming bloody murder when we put her in the bassinet - and this was a life saver.  She slept in it in our room until about 4-5 months, whe she could start to pull up to a sit.   Then she went right to the crib with no problems.  I think in addition to the angle, they way the baby kind of snuggles into it with raised sides around must feel secure to them.  I had never heard of it, but a freind with three kids gave it to me as a gift and it is now my staple "you must have this item" advice for new moms.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

ALS - DS slept in the Rock N Sleeper for a long time, I wanted to say almost 6 months!  It was the best.  It did get recalled for a mold problem.  Basically what happens is if any mositure gets between the cover and the hard plastic, mold can form.  But if you keep it clean then you should not have a problem.  I highly recommend it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If mold is the problem but it works for you I'd SO keep it.  You can keep it clean knowing that this could happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks ladies!  I appreciate your opinions on the rock and play. Based on your positive feedback I just ordered one from Amazon a few minutes ago!  I saw that they also make one with a vibrate feature, which DD loves, so I got that one.  I'll have it in a couple of days - I can't wait to try it out!  Thanks again!

On a side note - can I just say that I love Amazon Prime!?  Since becoming a mom, it has been a lifesaver.  No matter what I need, I have it on my doorstep in 2 days.  And the prices are good! :)

On the breastfeeding topic - I also wanted to mention that I've been going to the breastfeeding support group at south shore hospital every other week or so too.  It has been a great way to get DD weighed (without making a big production out of a pediatrician weight-check visit).  And also a way for me to measure how much she eats (we weigh the babies before and after the feeding while at the group).  The lactation consultants there have been great and it is a very well attended class.  It is free and on a drop-in basis on M, W, F from 1-2pm.  No need to register or anything - just show up.  Since I wasn't able to nurse my first daughter (exclusively pumped), this group has  been a good resource for me.  Just figured I'd give a shout-out about it to any other south shore mamas out there. :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sections
Shortcuts