July Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

July Infants and Toddlers

Hi everyone! Happy July. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far.

We had DD's 2nd birthday last weekend and she LOVED every minute of it- was so happy and out going and excited. However, in the days since then, then terrible twos have kicked in BIG TIME. In fact, it's almost a nightmare and she's getting worse every day! Tantrums, hitting, kicking, running away and hiding when we try to change her, etc. I am desperately seeking time out/discipline advice- someone guide me into the ways of toddler hood, please!

We had our first family vacation this past week, too. That went pretty well- she slept perfectly in her PnP in the hotel, but didn't really like the parks we went to (Story Land, etc) she was scared of lots of things so didn't want to try any rides, shows, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Re: July Infants and Toddlers

DD has her first cold and considering she's been in daycare for a month now, that's not bad. My mom has her today and tomorrow which makes me feel better because I just want to cuddle her and make her feel better. I had her a little upright last night for sleeping because she was so congested sounding and she was coughing a lot as well.

I also decided to make the switch to bottles during the day and nursing at night. She was just getting frustrated because she was use to a certain amount at meals from a bottle while at daycare or with my mom and she wasn't napping because she was still hungry and I was nursing constantly it felt like so this way I know exactly what she's getting to eat during the day and she gets the comfort of nursing at night and in the middle of night. It just became more of a priority to me that she get the bm rather than how she got it. I still pace the bottles so she's not guzzling them down.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Summer, I feel your pain. DS will turn 2 in August and is already in the full throes of toddlerhood. All the same stuff - hitting, throwing, basically destroying. Time outs work fairly well, but only in the moment and the moments directly after. It doesn't stick, so we're having to do several every day. I've also started teaching him to apologize if he's done something to hurt someone (such as his favorite pastime of hitting his sister). Toys also get time-outs if he's involved them in his naughtiness, which I think upsets him more than his own time-outs. Good luck! I keep reminding myself that it passes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Oh Summer and Poppy, no real advice but man do you guys get my sympathy.  We are right there with you!  Yesterday was particularly trying, I don't think my DS was a huge fan of the heat and humidity.  Seemed he was a lot more irritable yesterday than normal.  We also do time outs for serious infractions like hitting, when there is a toy involved the toy gets a time out.  Yesterday was just general crankiness about not getting his way.  I tried distraction but soon realized he just needed to get out of his system.  So he laid on the ground and cried for a few minutes and then was able to get up and get over it.  Every day is a new obstacle.  

DS started to become a comic, he really likes making us laugh so he does little things to see if he can get us to laugh and then when he does he repeats them. 

DH and I were making a list of things we want to do with DS this summer, including the zoo and Children's Museum.  Anyone have anything on their summer to do list?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Is it too early to add my 14 month-old to the growing list of Terrible Twos around here? He's been throwing full on throw-myself-on-the-ground screaming fits this week. I'm starting to wonder if he might be leaving daycare a little hungry so by the time we get home, he can't even handle himself. I'm going to ask daycare to give him a 4:30pm snack to see if it helps. 

My little cherub also bit another kid at daycare today. The poor thing got shots this morning and his whole routine was off because we were late to daycare. It happened right before nap time so I'm thinking he was just overtired and generally crabby from the shots. Not to make excuses because I know biting is never okay. He's never bitten anyone besides me and DH. It breaks my heart to think that he was the one getting disciplined today. He's usually such a good boy. We give him timeouts for biting at home but they don't do timeouts at daycare. I'm sure they did something to address that behavior.

I feel like this morning lasted a week! Can it please be the weekend now?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It's so cute when they actually try to make you laugh! I really want to do the swan boats in Boston, Davis Farmland, and am contemplating Edaville Railroad. It's hard with kids around the age of 2 who still might need a substantial nap during the day. I feel like I have to wait another year or two to really have full day adventures. We tried skipping DS's nap on Sunday to go to a 1pm cookout with my family, and he was a total bear all day. Had no fun. I felt bad for him. We did the Children's Museum in the early spring and it was great! I was prepared for chaos, and it was chaotic, but a happy sort of chaos. Both kids had a lot of fun. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy we did Edaville on Father's day.  It was excellent.  DS had so much fun and we enjoyed watching him have fun.  We went on a day that Thomas was there and he was sooo excited to see Thomas.  We struggle with the nap issue too but he's flexible enough that we can kind of play with his nap times to make it work for us.  

Chiclet - we definitely had times before he was two that we got a little sneak peak of what the Terrible Two's were going to be like.  I hear three is better, can't wait! 

I'm so with you about the long weekend.  I don't know how I'm going to work tomorrow.  Get me out of here! 

NL - so sorry to hear DD is sick.  It's tough when they are so little because there is so little you can do.  When DS was about 3 months old he got a really bad cold and we ended up using one of the Vicks vaporizers in our room when he was sleeping.  I'm not sure it really helped but it at least felt like I was doing something to make him feel better.  They also have the baby version of Vicks vapor rub.  I would put a little on the bottom of his feet and then cover them with socks.  Hope she's feeling better soon! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DH and I were making a list of things we want to do with DS this summer, including the zoo and Children's Museum.  Anyone have anything on their summer to do list?

[/QUOTE]

I have the whole summer off with DD and there's lots I want to do, but a lot of it would be tough taking her on my own (the beach, etc). Either during the summer or early fall, I also want to do the Children's Museum, Swan Boats, York Wild Animal Kingdom, a beach day, Southwick Zoo (she's been to the other 2 already) and there's a few indoor playgrounds I want to check out. I'm sure only 2 or 3 of those will get crossed off my list, but I can hope! I'm finding myself SUPER intolerant to the heat, even when it's not that bad I still can't handle it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Happy birthday to Summer's DD, and sorry to all who are dealing with the Terrible Twos. I'm right there with you, though I think as DS (2.5) gets more and more verbal it's morphing into the Terrible Threes. He has his incredibly sweet moments, but if he's tired, hungry, or doesn't get his way - watch out! He's also been a huge pain at bedtime. All the usual bed avoidance things plus just being completely and totally off the walls. It's harder and harder to get him to sit still for a book, and he prefers to spend most of the time throwing his stuffed animals and flinging himself onto his glider (think we're going to have to move that soon...). 

On the bright side, he is talking up a storm and, after months of my worrying that he might be a little behind, he's suddenly speaking in perfect sentences (well some of the time). He is really into telling simple jokes, and has so many funny ways of talking. This morning I went in to get him and, as always, he commented first on the color of my shirt: "Mummy has a blue shirt! NOT a green shirt, no. A blue shirt!" We've been talking about everything in terms of what it is and is not these days...the language/cognitive development nerd in me is just loving it. 

Thanks for all the suggestions on summer activities. For those looking for indoor hot day activities, I'll give a shoutout for Vinkari Safari in Woburn. It's a pretty new indoor playground and in my mind is far better than any of the others I've been to -- clean, well-maintained, and tons of different activities. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I hope everyone is doing well! It's been so quiet!

My poor DS is getting over some type of virus. The NP first said it was Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, but he didn't get that type of rash. When she saw him, he had a spot on his mouth and foot but they never developed. He did get a rash on his back, belly and neck. I think it might have been Roseola but what do I know. His fever got up to 105.0. I didn't even know fevers could go that high. He still has some rash lingering and his appetite isn't fully back, but he is doing a lot better. Poor guy.

AFM, AF returned this weekend. It's been almost 2 years! Now that it's back, I'm of course starting to think about trying for Baby #2. I'd like to have another before I turn 35, which basically means getting pregnant before the end of 2015. I'm not in a rush, but it's definitely in the back of my mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

For what it's worth: roseola is (usually) a polka dot rash - looks like you sprinkled pepper all over the child - arms, legs, torso, back, neck, face.... but the dots are pink not black. like you took a thin marker and dotted your child. the rash is all over so the child looks "rosy" (pink)

Coxackie (hand, foot and mouth) (usually) has blister like rash on the mouth, in the mouth, around the lips, on the fingers, toes, and sometimes the groin.  but they aren't red dots - once they develop they look more like blisters than just flat red dots.  some kids get 1000 blisters everywhere, including on their tongue, gums, mouth, and can't/won't eat because it hurts.  others get it only on their fingers, or their toes, or in their mouth while others get it everywhere. and then some kids get 2 blisters and you miss it unless it's going around the center and then you of course look at every spot, dot and blister with suspicious eyes and that's when you catch those kids!  My friend's 5 month old baby had coxsackie but only had 1 spot on the mouth, never stopped eating, and you'd never know it.  the blisters take a while to subside.

Fifth Disease - has a "lacy rash" - with the slapped cheek appearance -  the child has really RED cheeks, like he/she's been slapped.   the lacy rash is there sometimes, the slapped cheeks always are.

I moved to a new school, serving only preschool aged children (ages 2 to 5 years old) and we've had the following going through the school since the end of May:

strep throat, roseola, slapped cheek, a stomach virus and one other thing I can't remember.

Oh, and a teacher had pneumonia (teacher)

ARGH!  My program with infants and toddlers never had this many illnesses all happening concurrently!  On the other hand, with the infant/toddler program nearly ALL children would get whatever it was while in this school only about 2 or 3 kids get whatever is going around.  But it's feeling a bit like the "flavor of the month" club in illness! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi CT!  Congratulations on the new job!

Chiclet, sorry your DS was sick.  Poor kid.  My DS was also sick around the same time and I also got AF the same time so we are basically twins.  :)  We were never sure what it was - the rash looked more like the HFM rash, except not on hands/feet/groin - more on arms and legs, then later on the trunk.  And he had diarrhea, which goes with roseola.  NP said it didn't look like HFM to her, but more of a "virus with rash" situation.

Anyway, he's fine now, except he now has something else with a cough, plus he's cutting 6 (that's right) teeth.  All four molars are breaking, plus the 3rd and 4th bottom front teeth.  He has gotten his teeth in such a strange order.  Not sure what that's about, but they also seem crooked, and I'm thinking we need to start saving for this kid's orthodonture!