June Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Re: June Infants & Toddlers

Thanks CT, you make some excellent points.  I hadn't thought about how long it might take to get an appointment so I think I will schedule one and see what happens.  DS has had at least 3 ear infections so who knows, perhaps he isn't hearing as distinctly as he should be. And of course I'll be kicking myself if he's still not talking by 18-20 months and we have to wait months for an appt. Thanks for much for the response!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Just remember, with wagons, they're not the most ergonomic for the person pulling it.  You've got to twist your whole body to see ahead of you, or back up as you go.

I say this not from parental experience but from babysitting experience.  It was about 15 years ago now but the misery of having to pull a wagon up and down suburban side streets (with a wide assortment of sidewalks/ramps, curbs, grass, no sidewalk, treeroots, etc.) is still indelibly fixed in my mind.  I am pretty sure I was in better shape when I was 16 than I am now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

wow, happy birthday to all the little ones!  Exciting times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good point on the wagon, Lissa!  I was on the fence about it anyways.  I don't think it'd get much use since  DD has a SmarTrike that she Loooooves and we take with us everywhere.  For anyone looking for ideas, those things are great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Hi Everyone,

I fianlly got a chance to post here.  Happy bithday to those almost 1 and 2 year olds!  Love reading all your posts and I have so much to look forward to.

DD turn 6 months last week and I can't believe it.  She is such an anwesome baby and I trying to enjoy every moment with her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: Wagons.  This is the one we have (excpet its red):

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Wagon-Plus-Willow-Green/dp/B000B74E9A/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1370610340&sr=1-3&keywords=red+wagon

My DS LOVES this wagon.  We've had two kids in it (DS and his cousin)... both under 3 at the time.  Probably wouldn't fit two kids much bigger/older.  Its not too hard to pull because the handle is nice and high.  We've taken it camping and to the beach and hauled either the kid(s) or the beach stuff.  Its very sturdy - we really wanted plastic since sometimes our toys are left outside. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi everyone. I don't get to check in often these days since I'm staying home and DS keeps me so busy but it's great to read all the updates when I do get the chance. So many upcoming birthdays. Happy birthday to all!

DS is 9 months today and super busy! He is crawling and cruising everywhere and can even stand on his own for a couple seconds before he falls or grabs onto something. Everyday he seems more and more like a little boy and less like a baby. It's giving me baby fever something fierce but we will not start trying until I'm done breastfeeding and AF returns.

We're in the market for a new car/small SUV. Any recommendations? I'm sure there is a thread related to this somewhere but cars change so often that I figure it can't hurt to ask again. Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

DS is 1 as of yesterday!  I took the day off and took him to the beach.  We had a wonderful time and now get to look forward to his party tomorrow. From his grandparents DS got the same wagon IPW posted.  We got him a swingset for the backyard.  A little much for a one year old but he'll get years of use out of it as will his siblings once they come along!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Clc- Happy Birthday to your DS!!!  Enjoy your party and looks like the rain will be gone by tomorrow afternoon! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Happy birthday to all your LOs!  For DD's first bday, I wanted to get her something she'd use for years and know it was her first bday present ever.  I decided on a step stool.  At first, I was going to order a custom one on Etsy, but then I realized I did not want to spend $100 and went for a $30-40 one on Amazon.

We've had a LOT going on, so I haven't been on here in a couple weeks.  We're most likely moving and switching DD to a daycare center and I do NOT handle big changes well.  I think I fool people somehow, but on the inside I am freaking :o)  Does anyone north of Boston have moving boxes they'd like to pass along?

ML - If you're around, would you mind sharing your husband's moving company's info?  (Sorry if I'm thinking of the wrong person, but I think it's you!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

Happy birthday to all your LOs!  For DD's first bday, I wanted to get her something she'd use for years and know it was her first bday present ever.  I decided on a step stool.  At first, I was going to order a custom one on Etsy, but then I realized I did not want to spend $100 and went for a $30-40 one on Amazon.

We've had a LOT going on, so I haven't been on here in a couple weeks.  We're most likely moving and switching DD to a daycare center and I do NOT handle big changes well.  I think I fool people somehow, but on the inside I am freaking :o)  Does anyone north of Boston have moving boxes they'd like to pass along?

ML - If you're around, would you mind sharing your husband's moving company's info?  (Sorry if I'm thinking of the wrong person, but I think it's you!)

If this had been a couple months ago, I'd have tons of moving boxes!

I can also refer our moving company if needed, we had a good experience with them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

DD#2 ate too many blueberries and blew out her diaper front AND back with purple staining nastiness.  This woke her up at 5AM.  The ensuing commotion woke up DD#1. 

DD#1 has decided today is the perfect day to teach DD#2 the  "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmitt" song.  They have taken the artistic liberty of substituting the traditional "la la la la la la la . . ." at the end/beginning of the verse with high pitched shrieks and feet stomping.

We are not going out in public because if some old lady at brueggers tells me to "cherish these years" I might do something I regret! haha. 

Have a great rainy weekend, all! Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lissa, great description, lol. :)

that reminds me, where the heck did lemonmelon go?  Anyone know?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Summer, I'd welcome the recommendation for movers.  I should call a few anyway.  We're north of Boston, if you think that makes any difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My kids LOVE their wagon. They also love their crabby sandbox (slightly bigger than the turtle). They love the water table too, but I'm not a big fan - they always end up soaking wet!

TC - having two kids who are hard of hearing I have to tell you that if I hadn't already known they had hearing loss, I wouldn't have known by the way they acted at 15 months. My kids do have a lot of hearing, but they don't hear everything which makes speech acquisition harder for them. They also hear better at higher frequencies so they can hear a bird in a tree better than a low pitched voice.

I'm sure your LO is fine - very few children have hearing loss (only about 1 in 2,000) but tests are fairly simple and painless. Call Mass. Eye & Ear or Children's and make an appointment if you're worried.

My DD has moderate hearing loss and you'd never know it by her behavior or speech. She's completely on pace with her peers. My DS has speech delay, but so do half the boys in his class who don't have hearing loss.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lots of happy birthdays out there!  And I was so glad that after the terrible rain on Friday that the weekend was so beautiful!  We were outside in the yard for most of it...so nice!

Summer always makes me wish I didn't have to work, and could be home with the kids (for some reason, the idea doesn't really come to me as much in the winter...on the cold, housebound, nap-free days, I am VERY grateful to be at work!).  My dad was a teacher, so he was home with us all summer, and as a kid, I never realized how lucky I had it...we'd be at the lake, the golf course, off on day trips...it was great! 

My kids will be at their new daycare this summer, and we've got some long weekends plus about 10 days at the Cape planned, so I know it will fly by, but it has me thinking about the future and my ideal work schedule...especially once they're in school, not daycare, and I'll have to think about the summer in terms of childcare. 

I'm curious: do people do camp? Take time off? Get a summer nanny/babysitter?  How does this work?  I guess I have at least 2 years before I have to worry about it, but I'd love to start getting ideas! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi Cici, glad to hear you are having fun with DS! Re: cars - my MIL has a Subaru Forrester and it holds way more than our CRV, yet it's still small enough to be comfortable for me.

CLC - happy 1 to DS! I'm so glad the weather cleared up for you!!

IPW, thanks for the link to the wagon. That's exactly the one I was looking for, but never seem to have time to go online and find for myself! I am considering it for beach trips, mainly, and the random parade that the kids participate in each year. I will NOT be taking it for walks around the neighborhood, per Lissa's info.

Oh - Misslily mentioned sandboxes. My mom bought us one that we have to put together. Anyone know good places to buy sand?? I haven't researched it yet. Is it a huge pain? I can't imagine having to carry bags of sand from the car to the backyard, but maybe I need to get over it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to framerican51008's comment:

Thanks Summer, I'd welcome the recommendation for movers.  I should call a few anyway.  We're north of Boston, if you think that makes any difference.

We used Troy Movers, they're based in Lowell. Not sure how far you are from them, so I don't know if there'd be a travel cost or something. But all of our stuff arrived in one piece and they were pretty efficient.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  The party was great, totally overwhelming, but lots of fun.  Luckily it cleared up just in time and all of the kids were able to get outside and work off some of their energy and try out the new swingset!  DS did great, got really tired at the end and very clingy but overall was wonderful for the whole party.  Man oh man did we pay for it yesterday though.  He ended up taking three naps and throwing several temper tantrums but I guess that's to be expected with a 1 year old.  He also, for the first time ever, wouldn't go to our daycare provider this morning.  He was clinging to my sweater but once she had him down and playing he was fine.

On Friday we switched to sippy cups for his milk and it's been a struggle each time.  He had himself so worked up yesterday that he was hyperventilating.  How long does this typically last?  I can't believe I haven't caved yet and gone back to the bottle because this is heartbreaking. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Oh, Lissa!  LOL!!

Happy Bday littleCLC.  Sounds like it was a fun party!  No advice on the sippy cup, but a question - does he drink out of a sippy otherwise and this is just new for milk?  I ask bc DD has just started with a sippy for water and I still give a bottle for milk.  Not sure if this is a good idea or a bad one.

Other than that, we had a pretty uneventufl weekend - except that she figured out how to do stairs.  Awesome (eyeroll)!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to clc51510's comment:

On Friday we switched to sippy cups for his milk and it's been a struggle each time.  He had himself so worked up yesterday that he was hyperventilating.  How long does this typically last?  I can't believe I haven't caved yet and gone back to the bottle because this is heartbreaking. 

We're starting the transition too; she eliminated an afternoon bottle a few weeks ago, and we've been doing sippy cups for her noontime bottle for the past week. So far, so good. That means she goes from 830 am til 6pm with no bottle (she has formula in the sippy at 12:30pm and snacks and dinner between that and bedtime). I have noticed that at bedtime she's been extra excited and demanding for her bottle, so I think she misses it. It's a transition that is bound to take time, especially if the bottle is a source of comfort.

Are you switching to cow's milk at this time too? I've heard doing both (bottle to cup AND formula/bmilk to cow's milk) at the same time can make it more difficult. Just a thought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Nov - we started with sippys full of water at 6 months and were using the Take 'n Toss kind at each meal.  I bought new sippy's for his milk thinking they would be fun and exciting (and hopefully spill less than the Take 'n Toss) and we've used them with water too.  He has no issue with water in them it's only the milk.  As soon as he realizes it's milk he totally freaks out.

Summer - we are still doing a combo.  I started introducing cow's milk three weeks ago and slowly changed the ratio to more cow's milk and less formula and would be ready to go to all cow's milk but I have 1/3 of a container left of formula and would rather not waste it so we are finishing that up.  He had no issue with the cow's milk in the bottles previously though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - Glad your DS had a nice party!  It sounds like he had a pretty off day yesterday, so personally I'd give it another couple of days before changing your sippy cup approach.  Just my opinion!  When DD turned 1, one week at a time, we switched one bottle to a sippy of milk.  By 13 months, DD was on sippies of milk all day and BFing once before bed.  Some LOs have a harder time with the transition, so it might help to try a sippy with a softer spout (more like a bottle) or to hold him just like if you were feeding him a bottle.  Good luck!

AFM - DD (27 months) is getting to the age of imaginary play and it's so fun!  I already forget some of the cute stuff she said this weekend (boooo!), but this morning she ran to me and told me there was a spider after us.  When I asked her if it was a biiiig spider she said, No it's tiny!  Speaking of sippies, I've been taking the cover off of hers when she's in her high chair (when I remember to).  I've also thought about converting her bed or potty training, but figured it might be better to wait until after we move.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We get our sand at Home Depot. Make sure you buy the bags marked play sand. You don't want builders sand. You can get it at Toys R Us too, but it costs 2x as much!

It's heavy! If you have a wheel barrel it's much easier - or a helpful handyman to give you a hand. Our crabby from TRU holds six 50 lb. bags.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Lily! I guess I'll buy sand and a wheel barrow at the same time...

Lissa - hope the rest of your weekend was less eventful!  :)

Sections
Shortcuts