June Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: June Infants & Toddlers

For those of you who use a daycare center, did you initially feel like the one you chose was definitely a good fit?  Or is it natural to be torn about choosing one?  I tend to agonize over decisions, so adding DD's wellbeing into the mix does not help!  I have visited 3 daycare centers and none is a definite YES!  One I eliminated already.  The biggest negative for one center is that some of the doors are not locked so anyone can walk in and it's on a busy street.  The other is locked w/ a keypad and in a quieter area, yet has a pretty small playground.  I guess when it comes down to it, the safety issue is a bigger concern.  It stinks because if not for that issue, I'm pretty sure I'd choose that center.  Is it common for a center to not be locked?  I guess that's irrelevant if I have access to another that is locked.  Sigh I don't know what to do!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sort of surprised that the center wouldn't be locked.  I visited four and all were locked with keypads.  Was it that they weren't locked during certain times - like drop off, or not locked at all during the day?  If you really like it, maybe its worth a follow up call or visit to express your concern.  Can't hurt to get more information, even if its to eliminate that one if in fact the doors do stay unocked.  No one would think you were crazy for wanting that kind of info - this is your kid's safety we are talking about.

But, to answer your initial question, yes, for me I knew for sure which one I wanted. And I also agonize over these kinds of things.  I visited twice - the first time by myself, then I brought DH back to see it when I knew I wanted to put our deposit down.  Right away I liked the directors.  They know their stuff, and made a great presentation about the program that answered my questions before I could ask them.  The center itself was clean and tidy but the kids were having fun and you could tell things were in control. And the kids were being held!  It was very important to me that she would be held and cuddled and loved - not all day, but throughout the day.

I told myself I would re-evaluate after 6 months, but after about 2 weeks it felt like leaving her with family.  There is a new center (different chain) opening closer to my work soon, but I won't even consider moving her.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Novemb!!  I really appreciate your input and would love to hear from others.  I have actually visited both centers twice lol.  (DH came for the first visits and I returned to both alone.)  The one that is unlocked is definitely unlocked - no keypads and certain doors are unlocked at all times.  Some of them are inaccesible to the kids from inside, but open to the outside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The unlocked thing would be a concern for me.  It's a little different if it's a home day care and there's one adult and 3 or 4 kids (a situtation some of my friends seem to have for their children).  But with a center-based daycare one would expect there to be some levels of security. 

But as for the other part of your question, i'd have to say there is some level of doubt (at least for me) with leaving the kids.  There is always going to be one teacher the kid doesn't like as much or I am not as comfortable with.  In my experience, there are a lot of great teachers for my girls at the center where they go but there is one woman who works int he infant room who I do NOT like and I always cringe a bit when she's there (rarely there--maybe she's a floater or something?) when I pick DD#2 up.  she doesn't do anything WRONG or dangerous or anything, she just grates on my nerves and I can tell DD doesn't like her as much as the others.

If I have any real concerns, however, I make sure to voice them.  I try to be polite, open-minded, but direct.  I try not to let my mixed feelings about leaving the kids to go to work interfere with my ability to advocate for the best care they can get.  In Tina Fey's book Bossypants she relates this anecdote about how she was so paralyzed with nervousness/embarassment/guilt about questioning her nanny's child-nail-cutting technique she had this whole wake up early to cut the kid's nails thing worked out so she wouldn't have to have a discussion with the nanny about her concerns the kid was getting infected cuticles from having her nails cut too short.  The point of the story was that Fey is the boss of all these people, deals with all sorts of executive studio types as well as actors and writers and agents and what not, but even though she is confident being the boss of a lot of people she still got uncomfortable about dealing with childcare. 

I try (TRY) not to get weird about treating the entire thing like the service/monetary transaction that it is.  I try to remind myself being up front about questions and clear with communication is best in the long run for the girls.  It does feel weird though. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I would eliminate a center that doesn't have locked doors.  Our current center has a keypad to the main entrance...access to the playground isn't keypadded, but is only accessible from the center, not from the outside.  The idea that yours is accessible and unlocked makes me really nervous. 

We're about to transition our kids from one center to another.  While I'm excited about it (it's in my husband's office building and has a great reputation), it's also nervewracking, since I know both DS and DD are happy where they are. DD, especially, at 2.6, has her friends and calls it her school, and loves to be there. 

The biggest things for me are access to the center at any time for us (I've dropped in, as have my husband and my dad), those conversations with teachers every morning and afternoon, so you can talk about what's going on, from sleep to behavior stuff, to being a team on potty training, and communication from the center on what's going on (daily reports, quarterly progress reports, e-mails and notices about special programs, issues, etc).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I would not leave my children in a daycare center with unlocked doors. Period. My children's public preschool is totally locked and parents can only get in through the front door with the keypad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am really surprised a center would have unlocked doors.  Ours has one of those sensor key fob things.

unrelated question: does anyone know of nursing pads with better adhesive?  I am using lansinoh and every time I nurse or pump they end up unstuck and it's driving me crazy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

What doors are unlocked? The front door to our center is unlocked-but there is a manned front desk that people have to go past. When the kids go outside, the keys to get back into the rooms are located on the doors, but the playgrounds are all fenced in with only certain locations to get into the playground. When the kids are inside-so are the keys (obviously). if you feel the place is still secure and you are comfortable with it I would go with it. If you have doubt, then its not the place for you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I'll chime in and say that I would think it would be very important to have some type of restricted access at a daycare center.  Ours is in a gov't building with metal detectors and security at all doors and ALSO has a keypad/swipe card access at the door of the center within that building.  Also in response to your question about knowing which one to choose - I definitely went with my gut and that was part of the big picture impression - ways the classrooms were organized, attitude of staff, curriculum, etc.  I just got a good vibe and have been very happy for the past 2 years.   I will add that we only looked at centers that were NAEYC accredited (naeyc.org).  And even after all that, I still bawled outside DD's classroom the first day that I left her...

As for us, things are going well.  DD turns 3 next month!  Hard to believe.  I have to plan her party and it is creeping up on me.  She is pretty much potty-trained (about 95% of the time) and accidents are getting very few and far between.  I gave birth to DD2 about 10 days ago and figured there would be some regression on DD1's part with some things - but so far so good.  It is so heartwarming to see how much DD1 loves being a big sister and how gentle she is with the baby - can't seem to give her enough kisses.  I know it probably won't last, but I'm enjoying watching her embrace big-sisterhood!  What a difference though becoming a family of four!!

...and med - I have the same problem with the nursing pads - I'm using the medela ones and feel like the adhesive is less than great.  I have a box of lansinoh ones too that I haven't opened yet and it sounds like you have the same complaint.  Not sure what other brands are out there... the search continues.

...and speaking of breastfeeding - definitely not going as smoothly as I would have hoped.  I was not able to breastfeed DD1 and just pumped.  This time around I'm giving it a try.  DD is 11 days old and seems perfectly satisfied with her intake and is making plenty of dirty and wet diapers.  The problem is me - definitely uncomfortable A LOT of the time.  Engorgement and perhaps some oversupply.  For those of you that have or are currently breastfeeding - how long does it take for things to become more comfortable?  Does it ever?  With exclusively pumping for my DD1, it was all under my own control, but this time around I hate pumping just in case DD wants to eat soon.  I try to feed and then pump, but sometimes it is hard to wait.  I'm going to breastfeeding group at the hospital today, but just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks again for the daycare input.  I think I have decided it's a deal breaker.  I honestly couldn't keep track of the doors; there were two buildings and each probably had 4-5 that were open from the outside.  (Some went directly onto a playground, but those are accesible by gate too.)

Med - I used Johnson's & Johnson's on a friend's recommendation, but I didn't end up using pads much so I'm not sure how good they are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just on the daycare question... we narrowed it down to two Centers.  And I sorta went with my gut, but also which was going to be easier for me.  Both were right on the commute.  Both were same price.  One was really nice... very new so everything was painted bright and shiny.. tons of brand new toys.  BUT... they served not a single ounce of food or drink.  So I'd have to pack everything.  The other was very nice, but not as "shiny and new" and colorful as the other.  It was a bit more sterile.  BUT, they provided every bit of food from morning cereal at drop off, two snacks, a warm breakfast and lunch and juice and milk.  My DH wanted the new one, but knowing he wouldn't be packing the lunchbox... we decided on the latter.  And I've been so happy ever since.  We've had very little teacher turnover in our two years so far, and great email communication from the Director.  Every teacher knows my son's name from infants to kindergarden... even ones who don't teach him.  So while sometimes Centers get a bad rap for being too big and impersonal... ours has really stepped up.  Probably doesn't hurt that the Center Director's daughter is in my son's class too :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Fram - Good luck with the daycare decision -- I think you made the right choice!

ALS - Congrats on DD2, and glad everything is going well with her big sis so far!

I may have asked this before, but I'm still having no luck -- what are people's anti-food-throwing strategies? DS is almost 16 mos and is constantly flinging food off his tray. He does it pretty much regardless of whether he's still hungry or if it's something he likes.

For awhile now, we've tried saying "No throw," removing anything still on his tray, and walking away for 15 seconds or so before starting again, but it doesn't seem to work -- he actually thinks it's funny even when I do it with a stone cold face. I hesitate to just end the meal, since as I said, he does it from the beginning even when he's hungry. We limit what's on his tray to a couple of bites, try distracting him when he seems to be getting bored, try to teach him to say/sign "All done," but it always comes back to the throwing. Help?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS - maybe 2-3 weeks to stabilize supply?  That said, everyone seems different - the group is a great idea.  Also, I pumped a couple of times during those first couple of weeks when I just couldn't stand it, but I would pump just until I felt comfortable again, not until it stopped.  Then there was still enough if DS got hungry.  ...Isn't it such a good feeling to get relief after being too full??  Like finally scratching a bad itch you couldn't reach.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

ALS - I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm wondering if the pumping isn't causing you more problems? If you have oversupply and you pump, you're just signalling to your body to make more milk. I can definitely relate to the relief you feel pumping after your full. I'm just wondering if in your case, your milk will slow down in another week or two? I've heard that initially you make enough for twins and then your body makes less once it figures out how much your baby needs. I don't know how true that is (it definitely wasn't the case for me). Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - If it makes you feel better, DD usually threw food for a week or two at a time and then she'd stop... Hope that happens for you!  Like you, I often felt she probably was hungry, so I didn't necessarily take the food away.  I tried to watch closely for that miniscule sign that she was done eating and get the tray away asap.  If she did (or does) throw food on the floor, she had to help clean it up.  I can't remember at what age I started that though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

for breastfeeding, yes, pumping can make the oversupply issue worse - for this situation, I would not recommend pumping unless you are pumping in reaction to your baby unable to handle the initial letdown. I pumped in early morning due to her inability to handle my letdown after she slept for 4-5 hours (during the day, she nursed more often so I did not have that issue rest of the day) - but i did not pump for too long, only 1-2 oz or so. 

for both times I nursed (i am still nursing my second), I found the most difficult period was the first six weeks. And that is the same response that most nursing moms i knew said. I know my supply and engorgement issue the second time was in part due to her incessant nursing to soothe herself - she did not p00p for a week as a newborn... We kept going to the doctor because she did not p00p and would act so colicky at night (the last night before the big p00p, she literally would not budge off me from 10PM to 5AM - even our pedi winced when we told him how our night was since she did not p00p until we to his office...) and I suspect that week is why it took me so long to stablize my supply down to normal (like i would leak like crazy) but even with that, i think by 6 weeks, I don't recall any issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

buy a TWO wheeled wheelbarrow if you can, it's worth the extra money.  Because there are two wheels in the front, it's stable and doesn't tip over if stuff is heavy and you aren't focusing or are going up/down uneven ground.  We had a 1 wheeler first, but when it died we bought a 2 wheel one and would never go back!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I do think that it's probably a mixed bag whether a parent feels really comfortable with the center they choose immediately or that it takes a while to grow on them.  You have been feeling really comfortable with her current family childcare situation, so it's hard to make a change.  And a chidlcare center is very different from a childcare center, too.  The unlocked thing makes me nervous, esp. in this day and age, although if I think about it, the first center I ever worked at (and which provided me with very good experience) might not have been locked at the front door?  hmmm.... Lexington Children's Center, with Joyce Hollman as the director - good center back 80s and 90s.  But I honestly don't remember if we had a code to get in, or a key to the door or.... something?  That was many moons ago.  But all the other centers I've ever worked at did have a keypad - but that's because mostly I've worked at centers in downtown Boston and DC - and one was in a strip mall where the door opened directly onto the parking lot (after a very short sidewalk).  Hmmm....

You'll probably need to line them up and choose between the ones with locked doors.  What is it that doesn't give you that "this is it!" sense?  The director's interactions?  What you might have seen in the classroom?  Wondering what they are learning, and what you're paying all that money for?  Wondering if the facilities are what you want?  Perhaps if you answer those questions you'll have a clearer understanding of the one you like better.   Are these 2 the only choices or is there another center you could visit? (although there is such a thing as seeing too many of anything, whether wedding dresses or centers!)   

I don't want parents to choose the center because they "like" me, because I won't be working with their child or them as intimately as the teachers will, but you should feel like the director is good, has a good sense of children, the business, and that she can make a human connection.

Also, remember that no matter how much you try to make it about business, finances, being the customer, etc. you will still be emotional about childcare, school, after school sports, etc. because this is your child - so expect (perhaps) to cry at drop off (just hide it from your daughter) and to call every day for a week or so until you are really sure she's doing well. 

This transition is hard for you, remember that - your baby girl is growing up, she's leaving the small family childcare provider who has been with her since babyhood, whom you know and know how to communicate with (although I remember you had issues with some of her practices with your daughter as a baby), to jump into something new!  We focus so much on the child's transition, and her wishes and desires, that we forget that we have to adjust to the change, too. 

Our parents of infants so LOVE LOVE LOVE their infant teachers and their infant rooms that nearly 100% of them have a hard time when they transition to toddlers, because suddenly they have 3 new teachers who don't know that they want communication in a certain way, like to hear about x issue every day or never, and they often express feelings that the new teachers aren't friendly, etc.  And yet 1 month later they LOVE their toddler teachers, feel completely at home with the classroom, teachers, etc. At the beginning I'd worry about the "I don't feel welcome, nobody greets me when I come in to the room" until I heard it from so many parents (and had observed during drop off time and SAW/HEARD the greetings, but they are different so don't register) that I expect these feelings of transition from the parents.  Not that I discount, I just don't assume it's all the teachers when it's also the parents feeling a bit discombobulated. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS - I might have misread your post - are you pumping after every feeding?  If so, I definitely agree with the previous posters that it would contribute to being over full.  I would only pump at this point if you have to for comfort or for the baby's latching or let down comfort.

I can't remember what the "rules" are for starting to pump to stockpile.  I started around 4 weeks, but only once a day after a morning feeding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Thanks for all of your input regarding the breastfeeding.  I guess I caved to the pressure (pun intended!) and was pumping about twice a day - around 3:00am and again mid-morning.  DD eats more frequently later in the day, so I wasn't as uncomfortable then.  I guess I feel a bit silly as I'm just reverting to my old behaviors for when I had DD1 and exclusively pumped.  I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my pump!

I went to the breastfeeding class yesterday and basically found out that I'm indeed triggering my body to feed twins.  Oops.  It makes total sense and I feel a bit foolish.  The LC just said to feed my baby and don't pump - maybe only an ounce or so if I'm in a lot of discomfort.  I guess I just wanted to make sure I was making enough and was probably pumping too much (I was pumping about 10 ounces/day).  You are right though Med - it is such a relief when you let yourself pump.  I will try to tough it out and let my body regulate.  DD2 is only 12 days old - so maybe I was just hoping for too much too soon in terms of the regulation. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Something I've learned from my friend who breast fed her 3 yo and is still bf'ing triplets is that every baby and bf'ing experience is different even for babies of the same mother.  There's nothing to feel silly about - just because you've done this before, doesn't mean that your experience should be easier or the same this time with this baby as it was that time with a different baby.  Some things, of course, are the same, but others you have to learn and discover every successive time because something(s) about it will always be new.  Allow yourself the emotional leeway to be a new mother to this baby if not a "new mother," per se, meaning a first-time mother.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

CT - I'm so thankful for your post.  Our director told me this week that DD will move up to toddlers in a month or so.  She was giving me fair warning to prepare myself - bless her heart!!  You're right - I'd love for her infant teachers to go with her.  Its going to be much harder for me than for her.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Very wise about going from infant to toddler room.  I thought it would be terrible and I was all upset, but DD was totally fine.

Unfortunately, we now have the opposite where she is going to the preschool room and I was excited because she's clearly getting too old for toddlers.  However, she is VERY unhappy and anxious.  It's really hard to watch, so any advice or "been there" insights would be great.  She keeps saying she doesn't want to go in there, and I'm worried about getting into a fear spiral.  :/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - I have not gone through this yet (not until July), but a good friend's son recently made this transition. He was very worried and anxious about it, and dropoff began to be difficult during the "transition time" - a two-week transition period where he spent some time in his old classroom, and some time in the preschool. She compared it to the dropoffs when they first started him there - crying, etc. He also talked about it a lot at home and would get very upset. However, once he was actually in the room and going about his day, he did GREAT. It was SO much more stimulating for him, and he had absolutely no problems during the day.

Now that he's transitioned fully, he's fine. From her description, it almost seems like it would be better to move up cold-turkey and skip the two-week transition!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Just got back from the lactation group at my pedi's office. DS didn't gain any weight from last week! He's still 8lbs 4oz, down 4 oz from his 1 month appointment on the 3rd. I can't believe it. He looks to me like he's getting chunkier and he's starting to really outgrow his newborn clothes. It seems like he nurses all the time, at least every 3 hours and then we give him one or two bottles a day on top of that. He's had plenty of wet diapers and at least one poopy diaper every 24 hours or so. He's even been spitting up after every other meal or so. Now I'm supposed give him 1-3oz and pump after every feeding. It's such a pain because I'm home alone with him during the day so I have to nurse him, then pump, then feed him that bottle. By the time that's all done, I have to start all over again. How will we ever leave the house? I just don't get what's going wrong.