June Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: June Infants & Toddlers

I'm with CT-DC on the car seat question. Under age three and only 27 pounds should still be in a full 5 point restraint IMHO. And my pedi said to keep them in those as long as they will tolerate it. I'm planning on keeping my twins in the Graco 65s at least until kindergarten starts. My son can already unbuckle a seat belt - but he can't get out of the convertible car seat. I don't need him "free ranging" in the back of the car while I'm driving down the highway. :)

You should be able to get two of almost any convertible seat into most cars. I had the Graco's in my 2005 RAV4 (which is pretty small in the back) and they both fit fine. Get another britax if you like them or try a Radian - lots of the moms on the twin board I visit recommend them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Luv, we are dealing with the same exact issue except our older DD is 3 years and 35 lbs. we are going to get her the Britax Frontier which is a 5 point restraint that eventually converts to a highback booster seat. My thought was why not buy a new seat that will last for awhile. I plan to keep DD in this seat using the 5 point harness as long as possible but then we will already have something for her when she grows out of that. Plus, it has cup holders which she thinks is super cool. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to wasMM379's comment:

I highly recommend the Diono Radian Luv.

I don't have any experience with bigger LOs in car seats, but DH and I both have the Diono Radian in our cars. We both have small cars (Corolla and similar) and they fit but it's tight. It's VERY difficult for an adult to sit in the passenger seat, because the seat has to be so far foward to fit the car seat in the back.

Counting the days until DH agrees we can get a larger car...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Definitely keep her in a 5 pt harness. We have the Britax Frontier 85 to keep DS in a 5 pt harness. I didn't want to buy the Boulivard again, knowing that DS would outgrow his soon adn then in a year we'd need a booster. Any 5pt booster is a good option. When we moved DS to the frontier- he was totally in love with the cup holders! At 4.5 there are times when DS gets himself out of the seat-but thankfully never when we are on the road. There is no way he'd stay put with just a seat belt. My one complaint with the Frontier is the Latch system-harder to get a really tight fit so the seat doesn't move at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Summer -  Happy Belated B-day to your DD!  I hope she had a fantastic 1st Birthday!

Misslily - Good Luck with the attorney!  I hope everything works out for the twins.

Luv - I think you should see what the weight and height recommendations are for the booster and then make your decision. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

KAM and Rama, we are on the same page...I figure I want everything to last for as long as it can.  I'm definitely looking for something with a 5 point harness, I just don't want to have 4 of the same carseat, when we could have 2 of one and 2 of another that will last even longer. 

I was looking at the Frontier...will have to go back on Amazon and look some more. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I'm glad you asked this because we'll be looking at this in a few months since 8 week DS is growing like a weed.  Question: what are these called, these 5 point harnesses that later convert to high back boosters?  I see the frontier, is that the only one?

Before this, I thought it was infant car seat, convertible, booster.  So I'm interested in this convertible/booster thing but din't know what to google!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasMM379. Show wasMM379's posts

In response to summer, we never used the Radian rear-facing, so I can see your point that it could be bulky and take up a lot of room rear-facing, thus interfering with the front seats. However, that is true of a lot of the convertible seats rear-facing I imagine.  I am pretty short, but I always wondered how taller folks manage with those things rear-facing.  

We did what it sounds like you are contemplating Luv: we bought a convertible (carseat converts to booster) all in one type carseat that had a higher weight/height limit for DS, who is older, when DD outgrew her bucket.  We then moved DD into our Britax Roundabout in the rear-facing position and then put DS, who was already over 2 and forward facing, into the Diono Radian, which does have a 5-pt harnass still.  It had a higher weight/height limit than our Britax Roundabout and also converts into a booster when age appropriate, which is why we upgraded the older kid, DS, into it.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

OK, I get it re: carseats.  Having 4 of the same seat when eventually your older child (and then eventually the younger one) will need to be in another seat as they age doesn't make sense.  I guess I just thought you were thinking of getting the small booster that basically makes the child taller but you use the regular seat belt in it.  That's what I pictured when you said booster seat.  Totally get your point - of course, I have no ideas for you, as I don't have car seats.  3 different cat carriers for 2 cats, yes, but no car seats.  Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ha - can I borrow one of those cat carriers CT??  I don't think my HUGE cat will fit into the carrier we used last time we moved.  Forget it, you've done enough for me already Smile 

How is everyone doing in this heat?  DD is nice and comfy with an a/c in her room... mama, not so much.  She's about 28 months now and turning into such a big girl.  She sings along to all kinds of songs, including Frere Jacques!  One night she just randomly started singing along with me at bedtime.  She has also become a little bossy.  Obviously I need to curb that, but developmentally it's cool to observe.  The first time I noticed was when she was playing with some little figures and said "Stand up guys!!"  (Also has me considering how I speak to her and trying to issue fewer commands.  That's hard to do!  You constantly have to tell a 2 yo what to do!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My kids started camp on Monday. So far they are loving it! They go at 8:30 and it ends at 1:00. They are eating lunch there and they have a swim lesson every day. And I have 4 hours!!!! Which I need since we're decided we're going to do a big renovation on my father's house - building him an in-law suite, and all move in over there. I can't stand having him all alone. I took him to a retirement community and he and I both hated it (and it was REALLY nice). So I'm interviewing builders and architects and visiting with bankers to get a building loan etc., etc., etc.

Fra - love the Frere Jacques story! I used to sing it to my kids. One day DD was singing to herself and i heard her saying "something in the tina, something in the tina." (sonnez les matines). It was sooo cute!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lily and Fram - we've got a Frere Jacques household too.  Whenever I ask DS to sing, that is his first choice.  He does both the french and english and gets it 95% right (although 'something in the tina' is too, too cute!).

Lily - congrats and cheers to your FOUR hours!!

DS (2.9) has finally decided he wants a big boy bed "just like mommy and daddy."  As first time parents, we bought the Taj Mahal of cribs, and of course bought all the parts for conversion.  So we have the rails to make it a full sized already (and the mattresses).  We also have the small, little "half" front piece that would be for a toddler bed conversion, but even though its sitting in my attic... we're going straight to full size.  Why bother with one more transition later on (I think that was actually good, sound advice from this Board!).  So I just ordered some great tractor, fire engine, boats, etc. sheets so he hopefully is still excited after he sees his crib dis-assembled.  He is SUCH a good sleeper... I hope we are not playing with fire.  He really loves his crib and has been saying "NO!" everytime we've asked in the past about building the new bed.  But past two days the answer is yes, as long as he gets to help Daddy build it with the screwdrivers (his favorite tool!).  He sleeps with about 10 "friends," so hopefully it will still be familiar and comforting.  He also said he wants big boy underwear... I'll wait a week so we're not doing everything at once... but my little boy is growing up!! :-) and :-(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, congrats on the transition!  My DD is in a full bed too...she looks so small in the middle of it!  The hardest part of the transition was bedtime, since if she wasn't ready to sleep, she could get out...it got us into a bad habit of laying with her for a while after stories, which we're slowly trying to get out of. 

And good luck with the underpants!  We've been waiting on doing that hard-core until after DD switches schools next week...like you, one transition/change at a time.  Keep us posted how it goes! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wow, Lily, big decision! How are you feeling about moving your family in there? Your dad will absolutely love it, I'm sure. How great for your kids to be able to spend so much time with him.

Luv - can I ask you to elaborate on how you got DD to stay in her bed? At 2.8, my DD has been in her "big girl bed" for about 5 months. For the first 3 or so, she never got out. Now we have nights, like last night, where she gets up constantly from 8-9pm. I am running out of patience and ready to either stick a gate in her doorway or buy another crib. My dilemma is that I don't want her to get in the habit of having one of us there as she falls asleep (which can take awhile), but at the same time I wonder if it's better to do that and have her stay in bed than to try to leave knowing she's going to protest by seeking us out until exhausted enough to pass out.

We're trying to decide wehther to potty train first or get rid of pacifier first. I think we're going with pacifier first. Then potty soon thereafter. Not really looking forward to either! Good luck to all of you in the midst of or about to tackle the potty!

In other news, we have a full-fledged crawler on our hands with DS. I forgot how exhausting that is, and it really limits what I can do with the two of them when I'm alone with them. Forget going anywhere with water.

Anyone have fun plans for the 4th? I think I ask this every year, but what are your experiences the noise. But I'm thinking this year maybe she can handle it...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

The Baby Chiclet weight saga continues... I thought DS was doing good, but he went and lost 4 oz between last Thursday and today's lactation group. Then we had our 2 month appointment 2 hours later, and he gained 6oz. Granted, they are different scales, but is it really possible that he ate 6oz? I was so upset when I left the lactation group, but the doctor wasn't too concerned. He said he'd like to see a few more ounces, but isn't upset that he's only at 9lbs (the 1st percentile). DS is perfectly healthy except for the slow weight gain. I'm at my wit's end. I'm not ready to be done nursing him but I don't want to hurt him in the process. Everyone tells you to trust your instincts and trust your baby, but feeding him when I think he's hungry and trusting him to drink his fill isn't really working out. I'm so frustrated with the whole thing. I keep telling myself that I only have 3 more weeks until I'm back at work and the majority of the feedings will be in someone else's hands. Is that bad?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to dismiss your frustration - how extra terrible for me to do that given I don't have kids - but honestly, deep in my heart of hearts I think you are stressing out for nothing, Chicklet. And, if you think having someone else in charge of feedings will help you destress and let go a little of this fear that your baby is starving I think it's a good thing to look forward to.  In the meantime, take comfort in the doctor's non-concern - if your baby weren't getting the nutrients he needs and were in danger your doctor would be alarmed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet... I'm so sorry it's frustrating.  If it's too hard, you should feed him whatever way works for your family.  But, honestly, if your doctor thinks he's thriving and DS is not cranky from wanting more, I think it probably *is* working fine.  At your lactation group, can you weigh him before and after eating (with no diaper changes) to see how much he is eating?  That might make you feel better.  And in my opinion, that's something the lactation consultant should have suggested anyway.  Or, you can do it on a good kitchen scale, or they have the scale available to anyone at the Isis in Arlington and maybe their other stores.

Misslily - so exciting!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Chicklet-does DS seem happy? Engaged for such a little one (it's relative at this early age)? Sure does seem he's on his own grow curve, which is perfectly fine! My gut says to take a deep breath, and enjoy these last few weeks, do what feels right to you (FF or BF)! But enjoy this time with him! Remember, no matter where your LO is on the curve someone will always comment. If they're small "oh, you should feed this baby!" if they're big "oh, you need to watch what you feed that baby!" sometimes you just can't win.

Poppy-have you read the Happies guide to sleep (or something like that) by Dr. Harvey Karp (happies baby on the block)-he has some guides on keeping kids in bed. But for us with DS there was a lot of no talking, just putting him back in bed when he realized and started to get out of his big boy bed. He also says its okay for kids to have a paci until they're 4...which seems old to me! I'd work on the paci first, then the potty training.

mislilly-yay for camp! You'll have to let us know how the lunches worked out. That's great you all decided to move in with your father. A little piece of mind on mulitple levels.

what was in the air last night, so many of my friend's kids, one of my own, were little night owls last night?!? DD woke up and wouldn't not go back to sleep, and would not be ignored! Normally she settles herself back down, not last night! out of desperation we brought her into bed, but that meant both DH and kept getting kicked in the sides as she settled down for over 2 hours last night. Coffee is my friend today! DS this AM coughed once and decided he was really sick. I bargained with him that if he was still "really sick" at lunch time to have his teachers call me and I'll come pick him up. He had no fever and was acting perfectly fine-just clearly didn't want to go to school (first full week for him in over a month). DS has an amazing memory-we shall see if I get a call.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

KAM, it's funny, because DD didn't want to go to bed last night either!  She kept telling us she didn't want to go to sleep.  Finally, she was so exhausted, she collapsed in my arms, but it's not like her...usually she's kissing me goodbye and running upstairs for stories with her dad. 

Poppy, on the big bed dynamics: we're still trying to figure out how not to have to lie down with her until she's asleep.  When she was in the crib, she'd read stories in our bed, then be moved to the crib and fall asleep.  It was a step in the process (plus she was safely trapped!)

It's now been about 3 months, so clearly we're not moving very fast to conquer this issue!  Our routine is stories, then lights out, then she'll talk to her dad for a bit and fall asleep.  Sometimes he's up there 5 minutes, other times it's as long as 30.  I know some people will turn music on and use that as a guide to how long they'll stay with them?  I'm considering trying that.  I'm open to all suggestions, aside from a gate or closing the door...I don't like the idea of "trapping" her, and also, since we're working on potty training, we'd have to overcome that soon enough so she'd be able to get to the bathroom.  She doesn't wake up in the middle of the night often, and when she does, she'll usually call out to us if she can't settle back in, so that hasn't been an issue. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, and Chiclet, in 3 weeks, as you say, a lot of this will be out of your hands, as you'll be at work.  I found that my slow gainers definitely started chunking up once in daycare, between the consistent bottles and adding in solids.  I think the benefit that pumping or formula gives us is that we can see exactly what they're taking; with nursing it's a trust thing, which is scary when you don't see weight gain. 

I can only speak to my experience, but I found that when I went back to work, I was able to let go of a lot of my obsessiveness about nursing, and it carried over onto the weekends and other days I was home.  I'd nurse him mornings and evenings  and weekends (still do and he'll be 10 mos next week) and pumped only at work (even left my pump at work so that I couldn't obsess over it).  He gets whatever I pump, but mostly is on formula on weekdays.  Slowly, I've weaned from pumping, so that now I only do it at work if I"m uncomfortable.  I love that time in the morning and evenings with him, and it's balanced out by the food and formula he gets the rest of the day. 

You'll figure out what works for you...you're doing everythgin you can...all of us produce milk differently and we can only do what we can.  In the meantime, enjoy these last three weeks before returning to work.  If you feel comfortable about it, drop some of the post-nursing pump sessions in the middle of the day (when milk, at least for me, was always the lowest supply anyway) and supplement with formula so that youhave a little more freedom to be out and about and enjoying this time together.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oops, my post was supposed to say, "What are your experiences with parades..." Not sure what happened there.

KAM - I did not know there was a Happiness Sleep book by Karp. I will check it out!

Luv - That's actually what I decided to start doing. Lie or sit with her until she falls asleep. I am thinking it is a better option because it keeps her in her bed. Otherwise she's getting up every few minutes, which is not allowing her to relax at all. Started it last night and I plan to just do it until I can start to sneak out. Took her 45 minutes to fall asleep. The other issue we're having is she ONLY wants ME at bedtime. So last night after sitting in there for almost an hour and a half (between stories, scratching, singing, and sitting, the 4 S's), I came out and said to DH, "I can't watch tv with you I need time to myself!" and flung myself on my bed. He left me alone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

There is nothing wrong with lying with your child while they fall asleep. I find it the quickest and easiest way to get them to fall asleep. It usually only takes about 10 minutes. Of course there are nights when DD simply won't fall asleep - so I resort to "I'll be back in 5 minutes to check on you...I'm just (going to the bathroom, going to get my jammies etc.). Then I stay out until she falls asleep or calls out for me.

Chicklet - I'm so sorry you're stressing over feeding your LO. I'll just say - do what works for you. I couldn't nurse my twins at all, and only managed to pump for 8 weeks before I thought I'd lose my mind. Formula worked great for us. And I have two happy, healthy four year olds to show for it. :)

We're actually excited about our HUGE renovation. It's going to take 8-10 months, but then my whole family will be in the house I grew up in. My dad needs some company, and he's very resistant to a retirement community. He loves to spend time alone - so we're designing an in-law suite (bedroom, living area, bath and "Kitchen" (fridge, sink, microwave and coffee maker) for him over the garage. I'll feel better that I'm right there to help him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lily, I'm hearing about more and more families who are doing that.  I have one friend who just completed a similar renovation and another who is waiting on permit approvals to start one.  I think it's great, both for your dad and for your kids.  I also love the idea that your kids will grow up in the house you did! 

And thanks for validating that it's okay to lie with her while she falls asleep.  I think your method of "I'll be right back" will be worth starting at some point.  As my mom is always telling me, soon enough she'll be itching to get away from me (which is healthy and good), so I should take this time when she wants to snuggle and be close and be grateful for it. 

Poppy, I wish I could offer you parade advice.  We're taking the kids to Bristol, RI for the annual parade, and DD hasn't had a problem (this will be her 3rd year going)...we'll see how DS does!  We're fortunate in that the parade route is only a block from my in-laws, so we can always run back to the house if we need a break. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

There is a great book called "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" and she offers up the lie down with them option as one of her suggestions. And she points out that before long - they won't want you to read them stories and lie down with them. If lying down with your children makes them feel safe so they can fall asleep, I see no reason not to. I have a friend whose toddler son would crawl into her bed at about 3 or 4 in the morning every night. Everyone told her not to let him, but she said, 'he's my baby - I don't mind, and it makes him feel safe." Just like every other kid - he grew out of it.

As for moving in with Dad - once we went to look at the retirement community in our town - and found out that the apartments started at $650K plus $5,000 a month we decided we could put that money into a renovation of his house - my family will end up with the house in the end and Dad gets to spend his days happily "at home" where he's been the last 45 years. And the money stays in the family so to speak. Living with him wont be perfect - but he's very good about boundaries. I could have never done it if he had pre-deceased my mom. DH whould never have agreed to move in with her - she was too nosy and bossy (but we all loved her anyway!).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks everyone for your advice (again)! KAM, since you mention it, DS is really a good baby. He's  generally very alert. He makes eye contact and recognizes my and DH's voices when we enter a room. He's just started sleeping 6 hour stretches at night. All signs point to a healthy baby, it's just that he's skinny. I'm wondering if he burns a lot of calories by being so fidgety? My thing is that I just don't want to hurt him by unknowingly keeping him hungry. Yesterday was very stressful but today was a little better. Honestly, I think it's the LC who has me stressed out the most. She mentioned starting to use Fenugreek, which is funny because the last time I saw her in her office, she commented on how much milk I have. So, which is it? I just need to take a break from all the weigh-ins and enjoy these next few weeks.