June Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

June Infants & Toddlers

Happy June!

We had DS's 2 year appointment today.  Quick question - the Pedi suggested we need to decrease his milk intake, no more than 24 oz a day.  That's going to be pretty tough as he LOVES his milk and he's probably currently drinking 32-40 oz a day at the moment.  Has anyone else had to decrease their child's milk intake? Did you just replace it with water? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, we had DS's birthday party last weekend.  It was small but great.  He had such a fun time and was totally spoiled.

Quiet on here, how's everyone else doing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: June Infants & Toddlers

I thought everybody fell off a cliff and disappeared! lol....

My DD drinks a lot of milk too, and otherwise just water. I try to limit the milk though, I'd estimate she gets probably a max of 25oz a day. You could also maybe give some watered down juice as an occasional treat, too. DD likes OJ. That she gets only a handful of times a week though, and it's probably 50% watered down.

My DD's Barney themed 2nd birthday party is next weekend, so I've been busy getting those details finalized. Then, my next OB apt, then we are taking our first family vacation (2 nights up in the White Mts), then it's our 5 year anniversary, and the week after that is my parent's giant annual 4th of July pool party, plus we're taking DD to her first parade.

Busy weeks ahead! I'm very glad I'll have the summer  free so I can focus on having fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

CLC - maybe water some of the milk down, too? That could stretch it out.  Or offer other things and give it some time?  We keep water in front of DD all the time, and she seems to have weaned herself down to milk just before nap and bed, and sometimes in the morning.  At night I usually give her half a cup, and if she asks for more we switch to water.  Glad to hear the party was fun!

Good luck with your party, too, summer!  We have DD's coming up the last weekend of June, then the 4th, then vacation.  We had her at the beach and on the boat last weekend and she loved it, so I'm looking forward to the next couple of weekends.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I'm back at work. The transition wasn't that hard which is nice. DD is still up every three hours at night to eat, she's a bit of a peanut at 10lbs, 6 oz. I'm pumping at work but she eats 5oz each meal so for daycare she's eating bm about 75% of the time and I suppliment if formula when necessary. This week she's also gone from sleeping solely in her bassinet to starting sleep there and then refusing to stay asleep there after her first feeding. She's in the swing again and will sleep 5-6hrs there so its hard. I want her in her bassinet but that many hours sleep is awesome. Babies, just when you think you've got then figured out they change things on you. She's also smiling a lot more. I picked up an exersauser at a yard sale but she can't sit up on her own so I have to wait a little to let her use it. 

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck with going back to work NL.  5-6 hours straight when you're back to work sound like a blessing.  She'll end up back in the bassinet or crib soon enough.  For now, sleep is sleep!  Hope things continue to go well.  As for figuring them out... that still happens with toddlers too.  Each day is something new!

We took DS to Edaville yesterday to ride Thomas.  He loved it.  The smile on his face when he saw Thomas was totally worth it.  We spent about 3 hours there and overall he did great and we had a lot of fun.  I believe Thomas comes again in either July or August, I would definitely recommend it if anyone has kiddos that are interested!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

A couple questions for those of you with 2+ kiddos:

1. When #2 came along, did #1 get move to a new bedroom?  Or keep their original room?

2. If so, how/when did you transition and how has it gone?

I'm asking because we'd like to move DD from her smaller bedroom to the larger one (currently used as a playroom) that also has a bigger closet. Her old room would become baby's room. Anytime we bring this up, she's very resistant, and insists that she "needs" her room and the baby can have the new room (she even points to the new room). How much of this is just stubborn 2 year old, and how much might actually give me a problem when we go to move her? Ideally we'd get the room set up this summer and move her by fall, so when baby comes in December she's already been in her new room a while.

Furniture is also a factor- she has a convertible crib and a large dresser that would fit better in the bigger room. I am in no rush to move her to a toddler bed as she still does just fine in the crib. We can either move her current furniture to the new room, or get her new furniture (toddler bed) for the new room.

Help! I'm afraid to make a whole new room for her and have her refuse to use it as hers...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Happy June Everyone! DS has officially transitioned to the Toddler room at daycare. He's doing awesome! He does so much with his teachers - crafts, counting, pretend play, going outside twice a day. I was worried because he doesn't know the other kids in his class, but he's doing great. (The other kids who transitioned out of the infant room before him are in the other Toddler class.) He's got the whole walking thing down pat too. I've stopped visiting him at lunch now that he's a big Toddler. It makes me really sad, but he's doing so well and getting really good naps when I would normally be there, so I think it's for the best. But gosh, I miss him during the day!

We just bought a new car this weekend. I've had my little sedan for 10 years and I keep smashing his head on the ceiling when I put him into his car seat. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the new SUV. :-)

NL - I'm glad the daycare transition is going well. You'll get the sleep thing figured out soon enough. For now, CLC is right, just enjoy the fact that she's sleeping! Baby smiles are the best!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ah, the difficulties in finding these boards with BDC's annoying new layout have kept me away! Happy birthday to the 2 year-olds, and Northern, glad to hear your adjusting well to being back at work! FWIW, I had DS in an exersaucer, propped up with blankets, before he could fully sit on his own, and he was fine. 

Wish I had advice on the milk situation, but my DS has had about 3 sips of cow's milk in his entire life. He drinks tons of water and occasionally asks for milk, but really just plays with the cup and asks for his water. I think he's getting enough dairy, but I kind of want to consult a nutritionist just to make sure...we don't eat meat, so protein and iron are pretty key. 

We're facing a "to turn or not to turn" question. DS is almost 2.5, but still very small (been awhile since his last checkup but I think he's only 26 or 27 lbs), and we've kept him rear facing since I know it's safest until they hit the seat's RF weight limit. Lately we've been thinking he might be happier facing forward, as he loves to watch cars and trucks go by and can't see them as well when he's RF. We're going on a long road trip for 4th of July, so I'm considering turning his seat next week to see if he likes it/get him used to it. He doesn't hate RF, but he can get pretty whiny in the car, and this will be by FAR the longest trip we've taken with him. Any advice?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We're facing a "to turn or not to turn" question. DS is almost 2.5, but still very small (been awhile since his last checkup but I think he's only 26 or 27 lbs), and we've kept him rear facing since I know it's safest until they hit the seat's RF weight limit. Lately we've been thinking he might be happier facing forward, as he loves to watch cars and trucks go by and can't see them as well when he's RF. We're going on a long road trip for 4th of July, so I'm considering turning his seat next week to see if he likes it/get him used to it. He doesn't hate RF, but he can get pretty whiny in the car, and this will be by FAR the longest trip we've taken with him. Any advice?

[/QUOTE]

My DD is about to turn 2 this weekend and we're turning her seat around before our trip to the White Mts next week. The limit for rear facing on her car seat is up to 40 lbs, but her legs are starting to get all bunched up and I know she'd enjoy seeing out. For front facing it says they can start at 20lbs, and she's 26lb right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Happy birthday, everybody!  Good luck at work, Northern!  Chiclet, I laughed about the head bashing - I always did that to DD when she first went to the convertible seat.  So far DS has escaped that - I guess some things do get easier with the second!

Arcain, how is he on the seat's height limit?  I think most kids get to that before they would get to the weight limit.  At any rate, I think you would be justified in whichever decision you make.  I intend to keep DS rear facing as long as possible, but we had an almost identical situation when we turned DD - 2.5 years old, very long car trip coming up.

Incidentally, for anyone else who has a carsickness issue: turning DD forward facing didn't help as much as I had hoped, but for long car trips I called our pediatrician to ask about dramamine and he suggested half a dose of benadryl instead (we already knew from a hive incident that it made her sleepy) so we did that and it was great (YMMV, consult actual medical advice!)  And the second thing for when they get older is that I purchased emesis bags on Amazon and they are GREAT.  I found out about them in labor & delivery when I was throwing up after the epidural.  I was thinking, boy, this stinks, but these bags are great!  They have a rigid plastic ring that holds them open.  DD got carsick this morning on the way to daycare and didn't even get a drop on herself or the seat.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer -- Thanks, GL and let me know how it goes! 

Med -- Thanks! I will double-check, but I don't think height is an issue (he's even shorter than he is lightweight!). I actually don't remember seeing anything about it in the instructions (it's a Britax Marathon). In any case, did you find that DD was happier on the long trip FF?

Great that you found a way to deal with the carsickness, and that DD is able to handle it so well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

We turned DS about a month prior to his 2nd birthday.  He is so much happier turned around looking out and it's easier on us if he want to give him a snack.  It makes me feel safer that I can turn around and reach him if he were choking or anything.  He's a skinny minnie too but tall so it made sense to turn him.  I think you're fine with whatever decision you end up with Arcain. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Arcain - ours is a Marathon 70, so I think it's a bit different, but I believe it was if the top of their head was getting to closer than 1 inch to the top of the shell, they needed to be forward facing.  Anyway, it was in the manual although I did find it kind of confusing - it was in all the warnings and whatnot.

Hard to know if she was happier FF on the long trip!  Maybe?  In general it's been fine.  One thing that did help a lot was that when we initially went FF, we had the seat more reclined thinking it would be better for naps.  But when we later re-installed it in a more upright position, she was *much* happier.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Med and Clc! I think we will make the turn this weekend, so he has some time to get used to it. I'll let you know how it goes!