Just for fun - Does your LO look like you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Just for fun - Does your LO look like you?

Does your LO look like you?  Most people say my daughter (6 months) looks like DH, but most also say she has my eyes.  Her eyes are still changing (of course), but they are definitely not daddy’s blue eyes.  I wouldn’t say she’s the spitting image of DH, but she definitely is not the spitting image of me or my baby photos.  (And thank goodness for that – I had a BIG head!) 

I am so curious to see how she will change as she gets older.  It’s crazy; all my life I wondered if I’d have a son or a daughter and if he or she would look like me and now I know!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Just for fun - Does your LO look like you?

People don't know who my DD looks like, LOL.  They stare at her and analyze.  I, for one, can't see anything but her when I look at her.  Am I the only parent like this?  I can see a slight resemblance to some of my baby photos, but I really think she looks unique.  Whereas most of the time I can look at other babies and see one parent or the other.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Poppy-I'm totally the opposite.  I always wondered how people could say that a baby looks like either mom or dad.  However, I think my DD looks like both of us.  I can definately see features of both of us in her.  I think that its 50/50 who people says she resembles.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I think DS looks a lot like his older sister and a lot of people have told me he looks a little like my brother in his eyes.  I don't think he looks much like me at all.

I think some babies really do look like mom or dad and others don't.  My niece totally looks like my brother - there is no doubt that my brother is her father when you see her pictures but then a friends kids don't look like either parent so maybe they are more of a combination.  When I see pictures of my mom when she was young it is almost like looking at myself when I was young.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter looks A LOT like me.  Everyone says it and it's true.  It's uncanny how much she looks like my childhood photos.  Her personality, on the other hand, it VERY different from mine--she definitely takes after my husband when it comes to that!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

As a preface to this answer, my DH is 1/2 Filipino and has black hair, dark brown eyes, and a fairly dark complexion.  I am northern and central European with green-gray eyes, light brown hair, and fair skin.

DS is the spitting image of DH BUT but he has light hair like mine and a fair complexion like mine.  When I say "spitting image" I mean it.  We have a picture of DH from when he was a year old.  It's faded and not in great shape and a number of people who've seen it have been very confused by it.  At first glance, they're sure it's DS, but they can't figure out why it looks so "old" and why his hair looks so much darker.  We've had to explain that it's DH to many of my extended family members and friends. 

On the other hand, DD looks more like I did when I was little, but it's much more subtle than the way DS looks like DH.  BUT she has darker hair and skin like DH. 

It's been very interesting to us to get comments from strangers.  B/c of skin and hair color, random people in stores often comment that DS looks like me (he doesn't) and that DD looks like DH.  We usually just nod and say "yup" b/c they don't know us and are just making a quick superficial judgement.  On the other hand, we have had a few strangers who have come up and told us that they can't get over how much DS looks like DH...except for the skin and hair. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

No.  DD looks just like the donor.  It is hysterical.  My husband and I were looking at our donor's baby and toddler pictures last night and laughing saying yep, that's DD.

95% of people who have seen her picture have said she looks like DH.  Only recently has this changed and yesterday someone said, wow, she looks just like you.

It has been incredibly amusing knowing she has been from a donor and listening to everyone.  I have been surprised about how accurate everyone has been about seeing DH rather than me in her until recently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

When DD was born, all we could see was DH. She had his nose, eyes, and chin but my hair. Now, if you look at her and compare to my baby pictures - it is crazy how much she really looks like me! That said, I still see a lot of DH in her at certain times - certain expressions, emotions, etc. So, it is about 70/30.

Of course, MIL swears she looks JUST like DH did when he was a baby. It's like some weird thing where she refuses to believe that her first grandchild doesn't actually look that much like her precious son. Its actually funny b/c she tells me that DD has the same hair DH had when he was a baby (she has a full head of hair, and always has). Yet, the baby picture of DH that I carry in my wallet shows him completely bald. Sigh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

When born DS looked just like DH-so much so that no hospital tag was needed to ID him! DS still looks like DH, but has my skin and hair color, DH's eye color. But thankfully DS doesn't burn like I do!

But it's funny to see the random things that DS looks like other family members-DS has my mother's fingernails and my father's toenails-random I know!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

lil - I bet DD has picked up some of yoru facial expressions and mannerisms and that is what people are starting to see.  I definitely look exactly like and aunt on my Dad's side, but poeple often tell me I look just like my mother when make certain expressions. 

I also know a family with three adopted children.  None are biologically related, but there is no doubt they are siblings by their mannerisms, and I think two of them actually look alike.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I can't wait to see who my baby will look like! I am due in 5 weeks and I am so excited!
    My brother and I are the spitting image of my mother and nana, even so much so when we are all out together people stop and comment, no matter where we are! The looks and comments we would get when we went to Disney on vacations were so comical to us, we would just laugh and tell people "oh we aren't related", on top of that and our Boston accents we were quite the popular family.
    I however think as I get older I resemble my dad more, even tho I am still the spitting image of my mom,I think certain features are turning into my dads as the years go on.
    I am anxious to see who the baby will look like, DH is dark haired, dark eyes,tan skin and I am light greenish eyes, light hair and fair skin (that tans =) luckily I do not burn) I do not see any resemblace in his family, I dont think his brother or him look like either parent so I am not sure who the baby will look like! His mother however has light green eyes, but his brother, father and he have dark brown. At the end of the day I only hope the baby is healthy with green eyes!!!! Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Just for fun - Does your LO look like you?:
    it's funny to see the random things that DS looks like other family members-DS has my mother's fingernails and my father's toenails-random I know!
    Posted by KAM2007

My daughter definitely has my husband's ears and his monkey toes.  I have these stubby little toes and my husband and daughter have these crazy long toes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

But it's funny to see the random things that DS looks like other family members-DS has my mother's fingernails and my father's toenails-random I know!
    Posted by KAM2007

So true!  When DD was born it wasn't immediately obvious whom she looked like, but DH and I both noticed right away that she had my ear lobes.  Luckily her ears aren't as big as mine were as a baby - yup big head AND big ears as a baby :o)
    DH keeps saying he hopes she doesn't have no butt like him and his sister LOL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

DD is definitely more my DH than me, something about the eyes.  Her lips and chin are mine though, and I found a couple of pictures of me as a baby where I can really see similarities. 

I forget if it was a friend or a real theory, but I remember someone telling me that it's a survival thing that babies always look more like their dads in the beginning so that the dads will claim them!  :) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

I think that the people who know me better or see me more often than my DH say that DS looks soooo much like me. And other people can see more of DH in him. He is actually a total mix of us both. He has my round face and lips/chin, but he has my husband's eyes and eyebrows/expressions. His pouty lip is all mine, though. I think he also has my toes (we call them "tingers" b/c they are long and flexible), and he definitely has my DH's butt :-)

He makes expressions like several different relatives at times. There have been a couple of pics where he looked a lot like my brother or dad, but I see a ton of DH's expressions. His "are you crazy, mom?" look is the same as DH's "are you crazy, wife?" look!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I am not due until December, but we speculate what the baby could look like all the time.  I am all recessive: red hair, blue eyes, light, freckled skin, and DH is all dominant: dark hair, dark eyes, olive skin.  I just hope our daughter has a couple of my features! 

DH has some recessive genes in his family, so it's a matter of whether that was passed along to him or not, and what combo our LO gets. 

It always amazes me how different siblings can look, but also how similar.  I have several friends who have had mixed-race babies, and the features they get from each parent can run the gamut.  One couple has two kids, and they are completely different in terms of their skin tone and hair, but there is no doubting that they are related based on their facial features.  It is very exciting to think about!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm going to look more closely at her over this 3 day weekend and figure out who she looks like... :)  We get thrown off because she has auburn hair and greenish brown eyes - I'm blond with blue eyes and DH is brunette with brown eyes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I forget if it was a friend or a real theory, but I remember someone telling me that it's a survival thing that babies always look more like their dads in the beginning so that the dads will claim them!  :) 
    Posted by luvRIboy

I heard that too, but in the version I was told it was so the father wouldn't EAT them!

mmmm.... delicious baby

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

When DD was born everyone said she looked like DH.  I never saw it.  I swore she was switched.  I am italian and have darker skin, hair and eyes.  DH is irish, with light skin and hair.  She def took after him with the skin but had really dark hair.   When DS was born he looked exactly like his sister which confirm she was not switched.  He also has light skin and dark hair. Everyone still says they both resemble my dad and look nothing like me.  I prayed every day with both pregnancy's they would get my skin color, I jinxed myself.   At my 6 week post pardum check up, the doctor could not believe how much DS looked like my husband and the nurse could not beleive how much he looked like me, go figure!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I can not tell when I look at DS, but my sisters just told me DS looks just like DH except for eye color (they saw him for his first birthday when we flew out to CA) and lots of people tell us that his serious expressions are just like DH's but DH tells me DS cries just like I do with mouth turned down and stares into space just like I do. His eyes are slowly changing so it is not clear if his eye color will be like mine (which are green/grey/brown mixed up - DS is currently brown/grey) or turn all brown. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

My kids look nothing like either myself or my spouse (their features are perhaps half way in between), but very much like one of their cousins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Over the weekend DH and I pulled out some photo albums with pics from when we were babies/toddlers to show the kids.  DD and DS thought we were hilarious--laughing incredulously when we pointed to babies and said that those were Mommy and Daddy.  Even pointing to pics of "Mimi" (my mother) and "Lola" (DH's mother) from 30+ years ago was almost more than they could handle.  DS actually started getting a bit annoyed with us and all of our crazy talk. :)

The funniest part was when we were looking through DH's album and there was a picture of DH when he was 2 1/2 and the kids immediately started pointing to it and yelling DS's name.  We told them "that's Daddy when he was little like you."  That was more than DS could take.  "NO, THAT'S ME!" and getting all huffy and pre-temper-tantrumish.  DD, who is usually very "chill" was even getting annoyed with us and saying "That's [brother]!  Not Daddy!"  It was the first time since having the kids that I had seen that picture, and I was blown away by the resemblance b/t the photo and DS now. 

THEN, yesterday, DH was talking to his mother on Skype and he pulled out that same picture and held it up so his mother could see it.  Now, admittedly, this was looking at a 30-something year old picture through a camera on a computer screen, but our camera is pretty good and the resolution on her screen is pretty good, so she had a decent image to look at.  SHE thought it was DS at first and then hesitated and changed her mind that it was DH. 

The resemblance b/t them is just stronger than any I've seen between a parent and child.  It will be interesting to see if that holds up over the years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

My younger son resembles my husband a lot; especially his expressions and mannerisms.  My older son looks a lot like me.  Just recently, we looked a picture of me when I was about the same age and my little guy said, "Oh my gosh, it's [big brother] in a dress! lol

Sections
Shortcuts