knuckles/fingers/wedding rings - losing patience!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

knuckles/fingers/wedding rings - losing patience!

hi all - did anyone's knuckles/fingers NEVER go back to normal post-pregnancy?  i stopped wearing my rings around 5 mos PG and am now 4 mos post partum - with no progress on the size of my fingers and especially my knuckles which is weird.  of course i also gained 85 lbs - ugh - and am still 40-ish lbs overweight.  i'm sooo frustrated that the weight isn't "dripping" off (ha!) the way i hoped.  but, it's weird b/c some large pants i had during early preg fit again, even when they didn't a couple months ago, but the scale doesn't show a significant difference.  i'm just so depressed about it.  anyway, back to the subject: i'm wondering if i should get my rings resized - you know, i miss wearing them, life's too short, blah blah blah etc - plus it's winter - my fingers would be even fatter in the hot summer!  what do you think - any relevant experience out there?  i'm pretty sure my weight gain was excessive compared to most of you... ugh.  (p.s. i don't think it's fluid still - after birth my feet were larger, and my toe joints hurt when i walked - that went away by 6 weeks and i now fit into my old shoes again - so i think what's happening with the fingers is different.  i googled and saw something about carpel tunnel and hypo- or hyper- thyroidism - ?  but it's probably just fat!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Re: knuckles/fingers/wedding rings - losing patience!

You should probably just resize them, particularly where like you said, you will only be more swollen in the summer.  It is really frustrating.  My rings still didn't fit after 8 months, and it was my fifth anniversary (10 years ago) so I got rid of the gold and got a whole new platinum setting and band! lol  I gained 55 lbs and was still about 20 lbs over at the time. However, after that I lost weight, and I still don't think my old rings would have ever fit over my knuckle again.  (I saved them so I should try it). Sometimes, if I'm thinner the rings will be a little loose, but they are always somewhat tight going over my knuckle.  
    Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I would just resize them.  You can always re-do it.  It is funny because my feet got larger in pregnancy but went back.  So did my fingers but I know for me that was fluid.  However, my watch on my wrist is still too tight even at pre-pregnancy weight.  I think weight aside, some things just change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

yeah, that's what i'm leaning towards -thanks.  i'm going to call to see what the deal is w/ resizing bands with stones all around them!  :) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Yikes... I've been wondering about this too. I haven't worn my rings since early December. I've only gained about 30ish pounds... but my fingers were tiny before before and I doubt my rings will ever fit again. For those of you that were able to wear them again, when did that happen?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think you're being too hard on yourself, actually.  You've lost a LOT of post-partum weight - CONGRATULATIONS!!  The 40 or so you have to go is what's keeping your knuckles and fingers such that your rings are tight even though you perceive that it hasn't changed a bit - I know plenty of women whose hands go back to normal when their weight returns to their pre-pregnancy weight, but you haven't had long enough to get there.  You've lost more than half of what you gained in less than half the time it took to gain it.  I think you're doing great.

If you want to wear your rings now, resize them.  But, if you keep losing weight, you'll be downsizing them in a year or so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Maple I gained 30 lbs and was able to wear my rings again 3-4 months post-partum. 

I agree with Kar Stefani - I think that you're doing awesome and should wait a little longer but I understand how hard it is not to be able to wear your rings...so do what will make you happy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't mean to imply that I think she should wait, per se.  I intended to get across that her knuckles are not absolutely destined to be too wide for her rings forever, that if she loses 40 more lbs, they'll very likely fit, again.  However, I suggest getting them resized if she wants to wear them before she loses 40 more lbs.  It could take 6 months to a year plus so it's up to her.  I just didn't want her to assume it's hopeless and get them resized because she thinks her knuckles have no chance of ever being small enough for her rings.  That's not the case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Nine months in and nine months out - that's what my friends and I all say about baby weight.  Don't rush with the rings.  I didn't wear mine forever because they seemed to get in the way of effective baby care.  And once they got a little older than your kids they found them fascinating.  Nothing like having a baby try and suck on your diamond - ot exactly the teether I had in mind!
    I wear a plain gold band most of the time around the kids (if I wear anything at all) and save my 'real" wedding jewelry for going out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

two years later and I still have to put lotion on to get the rings on. Sigh. And that was me getting to within 3 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about body parts returning to their former selves ... I didn't have to remove my rings at all with #2, and only at the very end with #1... but my feet, oh my feet... I am certain will never be the same :)   oh well, new shoes for me!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

I dealt with this, too. I ended up buying a cheap ring to wear at first. Around 4 months post-partum I could get my real wedding ring on...but it stays on and is hard to remove. I still can't get my e-ring on (7 months!).

My wedding ring is an eternity band which I don't think can be resized, so I was determined to get it on my finger!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't know how you can wear your engagement or wedding rings, whether they fit or not. I had to buy a plain band at the mall because my rings kept gouging and scratching my poor daughter, plus the settings were full of diaper rash cream. I'll put them back on when she's 10.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a great point, lemon.  A Barmakian saleslady (Nancy Pope - awesome lady), told me that daily grime, if not cleaned regularly, can actually push prongs away from the stones over time.  She told me she's had to help many a distraut woman who's lost a diamond that way.  Of course, it takes a long time, but it does happen, no kidding.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'd be super psyched to have to dig a diamond out of my daughter's diaper.

You know, I KNEW we were going to start trying right after we got married, and I really thought we were being responsible by having a relatively reasonable wedding and not buying an insanely expensive ring, but I still wish we'd gotten hitched at City Hall and skipped the ring altogether. I'd really like all that money back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad there's no way to recoup the cost if you really wish you could.  But, since you can't, might as well enjoy them...at some diaperless point. :)